Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

In praise of Sky’s new “pen pics”

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

She might need to after looking at some of those gruesome mugs and tattoo-sleeves.

Are married to Mary Whitehouse?! :ph34r:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

It might be worth considering showing 5-second footage of a player scoring a try or making a tackle in a random game as opposed to a head shot or a player spinning a ball on his finger. Just something a little different; inventive even.

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

It might be worth considering showing 5-second footage of a player scoring a try or making a tackle in a random game as opposed to a head shot or a player spinning a ball on his finger. Just something a little different; inventive even.

That sounds a bit confusing. Commemorate a try in one game by showing footage of a try in another?

I haven't seen the one where they show a head shot: is that Sean O'Loughlin's one?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

All they need to do is show a head and shoulders shot of the player with an appealing backdrop or graphic device.. they don't even need to cut away from the TV feed.. just a panel or box sliding along the bottom of the screen where the scores usually are would suffice. But, if your going to do it, do it as best as it can be done.

The NRL do it well when you have the players walking towards the screen and saying they're name at the start of the presentation.. the NFL do it with the pen pics and icons popping up along the bottom the screen.. its not that difficult

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#25 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

double breasted blazers

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#26 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

What the hell do you all watch? A game of R/L or the er what is it: Pen-Pics, Graphics, etc, normally I ignore threads of this nature; the new shirt series and the like, so this one, which I fell for by not realising what pen-pics were has made me realise that my former thoughts on such drivel were the correct ones to follow.

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Good to see a positive thread about something new, but I have to disagree (and apparently agree with some others on here!) that they look tacky. Would have looked far better in club kits. My thinking behind why they weren't is probably due to clubs having not released their new strips in time, but official club polls would still have looked better personally.

They should have made then wear tuxedos to give the class impression! :D
Posted Image

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

What the hell do you all watch? A game of R/L or the er what is it: Pen-Pics, Graphics, etc, normally I ignore threads of this nature; the new shirt series and the like, so this one, which I fell for by not realising what pen-pics were has made me realise that my former thoughts on such drivel were the correct ones to follow.

Aww is someone in a huff cos they have to wait over two more weeks before their comp starts? :( I think you're only upset cos you dunno who half the SL players are these days! :P

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

That sounds a bit confusing. Commemorate a try in one game by showing footage of a try in another?

I haven't seen the one where they show a head shot: is that Sean O'Loughlin's one?

I don't see it as a commemoration when they do the head shots etc after tries, just a motion picture really. Why not a head shot with a motion picture greyed out in the background?

I';m just thinking out loud really.

#30 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

TRL never afriad to tackle the important issues head on. ;)

I don't like 'em.

The players look scruffy.

They are pro rugby players.

They should look like 'em.

Kit on and scowling.

Everything he said^^^^^^

#31 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Everything he said^^^^^^

Aye, but it's not my opinion that counts.

It's my wife's. :ph34r:

A Fev Blog

#32 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Is there any truth in the rumour that you’ve stolen Christmas petero?

Like I say, it’s a bit of fun. Lighten up.

#33 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Being deadly serious here, has rugby league ever attempted to sell itself even in any small way to the gay market? It would only need someone in the game with good printed media contacts to get a feature on a few Jamie Foster types in the Gay Times or whatever. There’s absolutely no reason whatsoever that RL shouldn’t be hugely popular among gay men in the same way (I’m sure) that the vast numbers of women at our grounds are at least partly influenced by the fit (old school meaning) fellas on display and the very physical nature of the game. I’m trying to get a gay friend of ours into RL using these pen pics as a carrot. He’s so far resistant but then he is totally non-sporty and also from Glasgow so not an easy or obvious sell for RL. But I’m deadly serious that RL should try to push this idea. I remember the gay Aussie international Ian Roberts from the late 90s and wonder what impact (if any) his success had with regard to the standing of the game in the gay community in Oz then and since.

Thoughts? I’m guessing petero will love this suggestion if no-one else! :)

#34 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Being deadly serious here, has rugby league ever attempted to sell itself even in any small way to the gay market? It would only need someone in the game with good printed media contacts to get a feature on a few Jamie Foster types in the Gay Times or whatever. There’s absolutely no reason whatsoever that RL shouldn’t be hugely popular among gay men in the same way (I’m sure) that the vast numbers of women at our grounds are at least partly influenced by the fit (old school meaning) fellas on display and the very physical nature of the game. I’m trying to get a gay friend of ours into RL using these pen pics as a carrot. He’s so far resistant but then he is totally non-sporty and also from Glasgow so not an easy or obvious sell for RL. But I’m deadly serious that RL should try to push this idea. I remember the gay Aussie international Ian Roberts from the late 90s and wonder what impact (if any) his success had with regard to the standing of the game in the gay community in Oz then and since.

I would have thought that having Gareth Thomas (while he's no oil painting) involved in the game would do far more to promote the game among the gay community than Richie Myler doing a naked spread in the Gay Times.

Still, there was the 'British beef is back on the menu' poster from a few years back, with a Robbie Paul and others wearing nowt but a rugby ball.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,302 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Being deadly serious here, has rugby league ever attempted to sell itself even in any small way to the gay market?

The RFL are one of Stonewall's best friends, Manchester Canalsiders are a new LGBT club. Attitude and Gay Times covers seem to feature sportsmen on a fairly regular basis although whether they've had a rugby league I've no idea. I doubt any sportsman with an ego and a body would object to appearing there in the future.

I'll await marklaspalmas's wife's suggestions as to who should be the meat to be objectified in such a way ...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I must admit I haven't seen many fans in black leather and pink feather boas singing "I am what I am" so there must be no homosexual supporters at RL games. :rolleyes:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'll await marklaspalmas's wife's suggestions as to who should be the meat to be objectified in such a way ...

She's a connoisseur, or should I say connaisseuse?

A Fev Blog

#38 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yep you got that one wrong also mate, all I can say is that your a bloody poor guesser.

#39 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Ha! Sat the wife down to watch the pen pics so she could give her opinion, but the lads all had their kit on (fnarr).

A Fev Blog