RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McCormack Resigns

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

http://www.swintonli...-statement.html

Edited by PaulT, 19 February 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#2 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Really bad news.
Thankyou to him for giving us some wondeful moments culminating in winning the Championship1.

A very sincere man and above all a gentleman. I am sure that the sad passing of his father has had a major influence on his decision and that is fully understandable.

I'd like to thank Steve and wish him and his family well in the future.

#3 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I feel like crying. who is going to take over?
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#4 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Million Dollar question that Barnie.

#5 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Sad news, I would imagine Marlon and Watto will be put in temporary charge.

I'm definitely fearing our survival in this league now.

Posted Image

#6 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Come on Paul surely that is a knee jerk reaction. Let's at least wait and see who is in the frame.

#7 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Brian Nobel.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thank you Steve Mc
Some of our best years for a very long time thanks to you.
All the best from me

#9 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thank you Steve you allowed me to finally witness Swinton win the league I will remember that forever. Good luck in your future endeavours.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#10 marshy094

marshy094
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

If watto and marlon were to be put in charge, on a temporary basis, it wouldnt be the worst thing, they have both been working under Steve for the past 2 seasons and so should be able to continue with his philosophy's, and that should be good for the team as things wont become too unsettled...in my opinion

#11 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I would imagine Paul Kidd will take temporary charge as he did when Paul Smith resigned.

#12 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Anybody speculating on who will take the reins? Richard Marshall? Noble could we afford him? Who else is available?

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#13 PeterAshton17

PeterAshton17
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Maybe John Kidd will bring someone from warrington in? Might be a good idea

#14 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

like it or not at the moment that may be the best or only option.

Edmund Burke

#15 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Steve has brought the club a long way over the last couple of years and i would like to thank him and wish him all the best for the future.

Big shoes to fill now but lets get behind the boys who ever is in charge.

Riggy

#16 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Well one of our former players is in the country this week might be a good time to open negotiations with Craig Bellamy?

#17 PeterAshton17

PeterAshton17
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'd like to see Marlon and Watson take charge but to do so I think Watson would have retire. Just don't let Paul Kidd have another go because we all know what happened last time!

#18 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

maybe a Warrington A team coach on season long dual reg lol

joking aside all the best to Steve all round good guy

Lee

Edited by morty, 19 February 2013 - 03:22 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#19 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Just heard they are naming the approach to the new Asda Adrian Morley way

#20 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Respect to Steve McCormack. It was a major shot in the arm for Swinton Lions when he was persuaded to take over and it came as no surprise to yours truly when the improvement in on-field performances was both instant and sustained.

He understands what's needed to provide true leadership to players from the coaching position and get the best out of them on a consistent basis, something that had been lacking prior to his arrival. He turned a losing habit into a winning habit to get the club out of Championship One and did remarkably well to fashion a team that was so competitive in the Championship last season - it was a pity they only won 4 games as that was a megre return for the quality of rugby produced.

I fear the underlying reasons for his resignation include disappointment at the break up of last year's team and the effect of the partnership with Warrington and how it has been handled by the club, as to a great extent his authority has been undermined and the job of coaching Swinton Lions been made almost impossible such is the lack of stability in the line up of players. To some degree these problems reflect problems across the game in general, but these problems have been compounded by the manner of this year's recruitment.

Sadly John and Paul Kidd have taken things so far it is now impossible for them to back track and repair the damage, at least for this season, but surely the loss of Steve McCormack should make them and a few other fans of the "partnership" think again about its merits and detriments, no???

Edited by PhillH, 19 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users