Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McCormack Resigns

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Respect to Steve McCormack. It was a major shot in the arm for Swinton Lions when he was persuaded to take over and it came as no surprise to yours truly when the improvement in on-field performances was both instant and sustained.

He understands what's needed to provide true leadership to players from the coaching position and get the best out of them on a consistent basis, something that had been lacking prior to his arrival. He turned a losing habit into a winning habit to get the club out of Championship One and did remarkably well to fashion a team that was so competitive in the Championship last season - it was a pity they only won 4 games as that was a megre return for the quality of rugby produced.

I fear the underlying reasons for his resignation include disappointment at the break up of last year's team and the effect of the partnership with Warrington and how it has been handled by the club, as to a great extent his authority has been undermined and the job of coaching Swinton Lions been made almost impossible such is the lack of stability in the line up of players. To some degree these problems reflect problems across the game in general, but these problems have been compounded by the manner of this year's recruitment.

Sadly John and Paul Kidd have taken things so far it is now impossible for them to back track and repair the damage, at least for this season, but surely the loss of Steve McCormack should make them and a few other fans of the "partnership" think again about its merits and detriments, no???

You know this for certain do you Phil. Nothing to do with his recent loss of a father he was extremely close to.

Amazing how you use this opportunity to yet again have a go at the Kidd family.

#22 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think Steve is a man of his word Phil instead of unsubstantiated speculation his statement should be taken as such.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#23 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Everyone on the forum is well aware of the agenda you have with the Kidds please don't use Steves departure as another excuse to get at them.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#24 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

As custodians of Swinton Lions, the Kidds should expect their record of achievement or otherwise to be a matter of public interest.

They have made some major errors of judgement in the way the club has been run this season.

Steve McCormack wouldn't say as much openly, its not in his best interests to do so if he wishes to keep open the option of getting another coaching job in due course.

If people want to believe his resignation is nothing to do with the decimation of last year's team, the manner of this year's recruitment and the impact of how partnering with Warrington has been done, its your choice. I know what I believe, and fully respect Steve McCormack for taking the decision he has.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#25 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

As custodians of Swinton Lions, the Kidds should expect their record of achievement or otherwise to be a matter of public interest.

They have made some major errors of judgement in the way the club has been run this season.

Steve McCormack wouldn't say as much openly, its not in his best interests to do so if he wishes to keep open the option of getting another coaching job in due course.

If people want to believe his resignation is nothing to do with the decimation of last year's team, the manner of this year's recruitment and the impact of how partnering with Warrington has been done, its your choice. I know what I believe, and fully respect Steve McCormack for taking the decision he has.

That sums you up fully.....a know all. No compassion the fact his father passed away just the opportunity to points score.

#26 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Or perhaps he knew his mind was not fully on the task in hand and took the hard decision to resign. I know what I believe.

Edmund Burke

#27 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Before I comment I just want to say thanks to Steve for achieving something I never thought Id see us do, in winning the Championship (1).

There is no doubt in my mind that the main reason for Steve's departure are the personal reasons we all know have been difficult for him.

What I will say however is that in SOME aspects I do agree with Phil in that I really do not believe a coach of Steve's experience and quality would leave it until nearly February to complete his squad. I cant help but feel the Kidd's had a lot to do with it all in the way of withholding resources until the Warrington DR connection was set in stone. This has left us with the skeleton of last years squad plus a load of new inexperienced guys whos main interest is elsewhere, and it shows. They look like they have never played together on the field, the squad is consistently changing week-in, week-out, and it has resulted in us getting one bonus point out of 2 of our 'winnable' games. Looking at our 4 wins last year, we NEED to win our 'winnable' games if we are to have any chance of staying in this league.

Im not saying Steve left the club for this reason by any means, but I do believe it has put a lot of extra pressure on him, which taking into consideration his family problems, has probably made the decision for him.

Just to back up what I have said here are two videos from our championship winning season, when was the last time our team spirit looked that high? When was the last time we were that organised on the field? When was the last time our players looked that motivated?

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#28 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

PhilH you suggesting the kidds leave the club and all investment? Actually thinking about it you probably do seen as you are a leigh fan!

#29 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Ffs i thought we'd got rid of all your vitriolic poison.

guess not.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#30 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

All the best Steve.
Thanks for your commitment, openness, approachability and for the Championship 1 win which you created.

Teaching plus coaching the Lions, coaching Scotland and then with the recent loss of Jim......just how do you fit a life with family round all that!!!

Scotland for the World Cup I say!

#31 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Not forgetting england women aswel!

#32 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

As a Barrow fan I would just like to place on record that Steve is a real gentleman and a good guy. I know he helped me in any way he could with fundraising efforts when he was our coach - nothing was ever any bother to the man. Whatever his reasons I trust he enjoys his "retirement" from a sport he has been involved with at pro level for an awful long time. Good luck for the future Steve.

Posted Image

#33 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Before I comment I just want to say thanks to Steve for achieving something I never thought Id see us do, in winning the Championship (1).

There is no doubt in my mind that the main reason for Steve's departure are the personal reasons we all know have been difficult for him.

What I will say however is that in SOME aspects I do agree with Phil in that I really do not believe a coach of Steve's experience and quality would leave it until nearly February to complete his squad. I cant help but feel the Kidd's had a lot to do with it all in the way of withholding resources until the Warrington DR connection was set in stone. This has left us with the skeleton of last years squad plus a load of new inexperienced guys whos main interest is elsewhere, and it shows. They look like they have never played together on the field, the squad is consistently changing week-in, week-out, and it has resulted in us getting one bonus point out of 2 of our 'winnable' games. Looking at our 4 wins last year, we NEED to win our 'winnable' games if we are to have any chance of staying in this league.

Im not saying Steve left the club for this reason by any means, but I do believe it has put a lot of extra pressure on him, which taking into consideration his family problems, has probably made the decision for him.

Just to back up what I have said here are two videos from our championship winning season, when was the last time our team spirit looked that high? When was the last time we were that organised on the field? When was the last time our players looked that motivated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrsvlOKf3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxs6FS-KeOU

With respect most people have come on this thread and expressed gratitude for what Steve did for the Lions whilst in charge. Some have speculated of his reasons for reigning and some speculating on the next coach.

Only one person has come on and used this as an open attack on the club and particularly the Kidd family.

#34 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I expect that your coach will be someone who is currently on the Warrington Wolves backroom staff roster. Maybe John Bastian.

#35 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I cannot believe that even the most ardent Swinton fan would accept someone from Warringtons back room staff as head coach?

#36 OxOsp

OxOsp
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Long time lurker etc etc.

It's taken this to make me want to post at last. Want to thank Steve and wish him the very best of luck in whatever he decides to do in the future. That goes for his family too. We were bloody lucky to have him.

That said, I'm with Furryenzo. It surprises me that he's left it until now. Also, whilst many of us would have lost someone close to us - especially a parent - it doesn't mean you just jack the job in without good reason. I don't see how taking a big cut in income is putting your family first. However, I and, I suspect, most of us, don't know his true situation or state of mind. Maybe this is how he feels and some of the shenanigans around DL has made the decision easier. You never know.

Anyway, let's not get away from the fact that he has been a fantastic servant to the Lions and that he goes on to further success, both within and outside the game with his family.

#37 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Some of the speculation on here is a bit tasteless
Just wish the man good luck
Do the speculating as to our new boss elsewhere
Until we master the reading of minds his reasons and sense of loss are hos and his alone

#38 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thank you Steve for your time with us and best wishes for the future whatever course you take

#39 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I agree with everything PhilH as said in his post, I am not having Steve Mc left the job for any other reason than the setup with Warrington. When I saw him at the legion before the season he looked like a man who was up for it and ready to go, and all of a sudden 3 games into the season he walks.

I know what your saying Alan about his dad passing away could be a reason and I really hope he is doing ok in grieving after this, I have got a lot of time for Steve as he is a top bloke. I reckon it as got to do with this dual reg and he as been sold down the river by Mr Kidd like we all have by him.

I wont say what I want to say because people will start having a moan about attacking the man who as sold swinton lions down the river, I will be doing my bitching by cancelling my season ticket after 25 years, we are having a laugh if we think we look at Brian Noble, why would he want to be Tony Smith #####.

RIP Swinton Lions

Great Work John Kidd hope you read this

#40 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Really bad news.
Thankyou to him for giving us some wondeful moments culminating in winning the Championship1.

A very sincere man and above all a gentleman. I am sure that the sad passing of his father has had a major influence on his decision and that is fully understandable.

I'd like to thank Steve and wish him and his family well in the future.

I think we would all echo what Alan has stated here about Steve. Thanks Steve from all Lions fans and best wishes to you and your family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users