trouble down the lane

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

just heard steve ferris walked out on cas they dont share his vision by all acounts ???

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

just heard steve ferris walked out on cas they dont share his vision by all acounts ???

It's hardly a secret.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21504883

Personally, I hope they get themselves sorted, at least to some extent. If we do manage to get into SL, we need a good local rivalry, and who better to have? :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

If you get there, you'll probably replace them.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Rivalry aside, I do not like to see other clubs struggling, especially local teams.My views do not include clubs who have thrown money on to the fire.

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

the question is not will cas survive, but will rugby league survive in this country. some of the decisions made by the powers that be lately have not been for the good of the game.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#6 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

the question is not will cas survive, but will rugby league survive in this country. some of the decisions made by the powers that be lately have not been for the good of the game.

bang on! I fear for the game!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#7 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Bang on Oldrover
Im Fev and im proud

#8 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Some of the things the RFL have done I'd agree with you, not all of them though.

Whilst I hope Cas survive however, they've got themselves in their current hole without any assistance from the RFL.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#9 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Some of the things the RFL have done I'd agree with you, not all of them though.

Whilst I hope Cas survive however, they've got themselves in their current hole without any assistance from the RFL.

have they though, they clearly didn't meet criteria
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#10 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

have they though, they clearly didn't meet criteria

Depends on how you're considering the criteria.

Are they really good enough? Probably not.

Were they in the top 14 applications? Quite possibly they were. Whether there should have been 14 teams in the first place is a different question, especially given how several of the applicants have failed financially since.

Irrespective of whether or not Cas got a licence anyway, they appear to me to have been badly managed for a number of years. They aren't the only ones either. If they had spent the last 12 months in the Championship following the last license round, I suspect they'd still be in the same position off the field as they are now, which imo indicates that it's those running the club that are causing their problems in the main, not the RFL. The RFL have their faults; the management of Cas isn't one of them.

Please view my photos.

#11 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Were they in the top 14 applications? Quite possibly they were. Whether there should have been 14 teams in the first place is a different question, especially given how several of the applicants have failed financially since.

Irrespective of whether or not Cas got a licence anyway, they appear to me to have been badly managed for a number of years. They aren't the only ones either. If they had spent the last 12 months in the Championship following the last license round, I suspect they'd still be in the same position off the field as they are now, which imo indicates that it's those running the club that are causing their problems in the main, not the RFL. The RFL have their faults; the management of Cas isn't one of them.

i agree with a lot of what you say, but it looks to me like the rfl have given franchises to clubs who's finances didn't stand up to scrutiny. also cas didn't tick the box regarding their ground. you're right, the clubs are responsible for their own finances, but the rfl are responsible for the franchise allocations. do they go to the clubs who meet criteria or the clubs that get nearest to it.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

i agree with a lot of what you say, but it looks to me like the rfl have given franchises to clubs who's finances didn't stand up to scrutiny. also cas didn't tick the box regarding their ground. you're right, the clubs are responsible for their own finances, but the rfl are responsible for the franchise allocations. do they go to the clubs who meet criteria or the clubs that get nearest to it.

Having decided that they wanted 14 clubs in $uperleague, they gave licences to the best 14 applicants - in their opinion.

Whether there are as many as 14 applicants who stood up to scrutiny is a matter for debate. I would suggest eight or ten would be nearer the mark.

#13 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I agree. That's kind of what I was getting at though with how the criteria were looked at. If only clubs that met the criteria had been granted licences, how many would have got one? Cas, Salford, Halifax, Crusaders, Wakey, Bradford - all quite possibly not. Were Cas the worst of those applications? We'll never know for sure, but to date they haven't actually got into the same position as some of the others mentioned, so they probably weren't the worst.

My feeling is that the RFL chose (along with the current SL teams) to go with a 14 strong competition, and picked the 14 strongest applications, irrespective of whether they actually met all the criteria. With hindsight, it would probably have been better to go to a 12 or even 10 team competition.

Please view my photos.

#14 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

question: is full time rugby league in the UK realistic.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#15 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I agree. That's kind of what I was getting at though with how the criteria were looked at. If only clubs that met the criteria had been granted licences, how many would have got one? Cas, Salford, Halifax, Crusaders, Wakey, Bradford - all quite possibly not. Were Cas the worst of those applications? We'll never know for sure, but to date they haven't actually got into the same position as some of the others mentioned, so they probably weren't the worst.

My feeling is that the RFL chose (along with the current SL teams) to go with a 14 strong competition, and picked the 14 strongest applications, irrespective of whether they actually met all the criteria. With hindsight, it would probably have been better to go to a 12 or even 10 team competition.

It's obviously time for restructuring and to relax the criteria to a more achievable level. I've a feeling that's what's about to happen.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#16 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

It's obviously time for restructuring and to relax the criteria to a more achievable level. I've a feeling that's what's about to happen.

Yes. I also think the RFL should have more power and the current SL clubs less of it, that way in theory at least, the game as a whole can be developed, rather than just pandering to the whims of those currently at the top of the pile.

Please view my photos.

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Some of the criteria are fixed by the Government - health and safety, minimum wages and so on. Compulsory pensions are coming in soon, NI is 13.8% where not so long ago it was 5.5%.

Stuff like that you can't avoid by the game merely resetting its criteria for $uperleague.

#18 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's the same old tale. Clubs are not run as efficient businesses. The income from crowds alone are not sufficient. Diversification is the order of the day and to live within your income from whatever source. Clubs overspend on players looking for success. They don't get it and then have to pick up the bill. Cash flow as I have said on numerous occasions is all important. I reckon Ferris was trying to introduce efficiency and his ideas were not acceptable. Cloud cuckoo land comes to mind.

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

If half a dozen clubs push the boat out in search of success, it ought to be painfully obvious that five of them are going to be disappointed.

#20 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Different areas, different boats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users