Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Phil Clarkes thoughts on Dual reg

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

http://www.skysports...0.html#comments

Edited by tuutaisrambo, 19 February 2013 - 04:45 PM.

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#2 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Clarkes got that absolutely 100% correct.

The people making these decisions are, in the majority, not qualified to do so and base their decisions on financial not development reasons.

I wonder what scientific studies underpin the reasoning behind the switch to U19s and Duel Reg, I strongly suspect the answer is a big fat NONE!
Do any of those decision makers have a back ground in elite athlete development,
Do they understand the science behind the aquisition of sports motor skills and the environments in which they should be learned

There are a multitude of elements to be considered but they all deal with whats best for development rather than the commercial aspects and therein lies our problem, like the NHS we are top heavy with Managers and beurocrats and paper thin with experienced industry professionals.

Edited by OMEGA, 19 February 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#3 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Spot on Phil
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 burke

burke
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

He is 100% correct just wish he had made a fuss before the decision was made.

#5 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Clarkes got that absolutely 100% correct.

The people making these decisions are, in the majority, not qualified to do so and base their decisions on financial not development reasons.

I wonder what scientific studies underpin the reasoning behind the switch to U19s and Duel Reg, I strongly suspect the answer is a big fat NONE!
Do any of those decision makers have a back ground in elite athlete development,
Do they understand the science behind the aquisition of sports motor skills and the environments in which they should be learned

There are a multitude of elements to be considered but they all deal with whats best for development rather than the commercial aspects and therein lies our problem, like the NHS we are top heavy with Managers and beurocrats and paper thin with experienced industry professionals.

Absolutely right and to make matters worse the highly paid beurocrats who have the power and are supposed to govern the sport haven't got the balls to do so.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 19 February 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

A very well-reasoned argument. Hard to disagree with.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Absolutely right and to make matters worse the highly paid beurocrats who have the power and are supposed to govern the sport haven't got the balls to do so.

Is it highly paid bureaucrats or the bumbling amateurs who populate the Council chamber ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I agree with what Phil is saying 100% regarding the future development of Rugby LEAGUE players. However in hard economic times ALL business must cut its cloth to suit and cannot afford to lose money - Or it will not be in business next year. My hope is that the DR system will be a temporary measure until business conditions improve.

#9 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Phil Clarke talking sense - that'll never do ;)

Still gets a Wigan mention in :ph34r:

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

People have taken to calling me Jewel Reg since I nicked those diamonds from Brussels Airport.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Is it highly paid bureaucrats or the bumbling amateurs who populate the Council chamber ?

The fault lies with all of them but I think I'm right in saying that the RFL has the power to dictate where necessary. In the best interests of the sport they should have forced the SL clubs to run an adequate second tier. If Fev and Sheffield can afford to do it so can the elite.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 19 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

It was the SL clubs who made the decision. The RFL have made it very clear that it was not what they recommended, but when the SL clubs rejected that they had to go away and come up with an alternative.

That's democracy, you don't always get the most sensible long-term solutions.

Edited by South Wakefield Sharks, 19 February 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#13 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

i always new phil talked only good sense.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Phil Clarke has articulated perfectly what myself and many other detractors of this system have been saying re lack of opportunities for Championship players, loss of interest, lack of opportunities for junior players, loss of integrity for the status of the Championship clubs.

The RFL, if indeed they disagreed with it, had the power to ban such DR agreements and not let SL dictate things that are not in the best interests of the game only in the best interests of SL. Now clubs have started bending the rules by registering whole squads and signing part of their squads on to the Champions roster as did Warrington at Swinton, then it is even worse.

Phil Clarke was a SL and international player at the very top level and is now a broadcaster for for the games flagship Sky sports station. He knows what he's talking about and hopefully this regrettable situation will be defused and eliminated, but I'm not holding my breath.

#15 burke

burke
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Phil should have a word with his agent brother who seems hell bent on getting as many of his RL players to leave the game and go to RU

#16 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Excellent from Phil Clarke.
Although have to say, I haven't spoken to anyone who agrees with the new set up.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

The RFL, if indeed they disagreed with it, had the power to ban such DR agreements

Did they? I'm getting the impression more and more often that they don't have much power at all. The power seems to rest in the hands of the Superleague clubs, which I think is somewhat concerning.

#18 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

While I agree the current system isn't ideal, perhaps the dual- registration component isn't the source of the problem. After all, the NRL uses a dual registration type system, with the NSW and Qld cup feeder clubs used in the same way as the championship. I think the problem isn't the DR process, but he lack of junior comps that underpin it.

In the NRL, clubs have a system with U-16, U-18, U-20 and Qld/NSW Cup teams, as well as the first grade team. If the ESL also had similar junior structures, to compliment dual registration, then I think it could work well.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Did they? I'm getting the impression more and more often that they don't have much power at all. The power seems to rest in the hands of the Superleague clubs, which I think is somewhat concerning.

The SL have the agreement with Sky, not the RFL, and thus control the money but I would have thought the RFL were in charge of player registrations and administration matters and should be able to dictate dual registrations and not allow them to be registered in the best interests of the game. However, money talks and the SLhave it so maybe you are right.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Phil Clarke has articulated perfectly what myself and many other detractors of this system have been saying re lack of opportunities for Championship players, loss of interest, lack of opportunities for junior players, loss of integrity for the status of the Championship clubs.

The RFL, if indeed they disagreed with it, had the power to ban such DR agreements and not let SL dictate things that are not in the best interests of the game only in the best interests of SL. Now clubs have started bending the rules by registering whole squads and signing part of their squads on to the Champions roster as did Warrington at Swinton, then it is even worse.

Phil Clarke was a SL and international player at the very top level and is now a broadcaster for for the games flagship Sky sports station. He knows what he's talking about and hopefully this regrettable situation will be defused and eliminated, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well Mr. Clarke has come up with a fine article.

He says "Are we guilty in rugby league of closing the trap door too early? How many players like Tomkins do we 'lose' because we tell them that they are not good enough when they are too young for us to really know?

If this is one of the primary concerns then the answer may end up being the conversion of the Championship into the "A" team, or "feeder" league some predict will happen

We have seen that the 4 DR players, was a "Press release" (i.e. something to play down a major change) as Hunslet broke ranks to pick Moore and Leuluai. They now have brad Singleton who I assume can follow the Clarke route and go on propping for the Leeds sister team until he reaches his best at 22,23,34,25. Thus if the situation "worsens" will it matter as the CC is an open age league and has no "trap door"???

Please correct me if I'm wrong but in principle if abandoning an U23 league is a bad development route, replacing it with an open age league in which there's more permanency amongst the young SL players in the CC teams merely improves things towards Clarke's idea?

Is the CC players nose being put out of joint relevant? Is that a development issue??

Edited by The Parksider, 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users