TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Wingers

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Mannson 6, King 7 and Wolford 13.

Who gets the nod for the wing berths?

Sterling and Plange were great for us (as well as other teams) but in my view one of them will have to miss out to Peter Muscroft. He looked like he was going to score every time he got the ball.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#2 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Muscroft by a country mile
Posted Image

#3 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

My era has to be Plangey, never seen any player before or after come out of the line so quick and put the shots on he did, hard as nails!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#4 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Plangey was good but Karl Pratt put him in his place, I rated Mick Bell highly until injury curtailed his career.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#5 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

What a about Gary Richardson? #legend

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#6 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Have to say muscroft aka Eddie shoestring was in my era the most prolific try scorer i remember didn't we lose him to hull Kr with ray price coming the other way ?

#7 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ian Nicholson when we played at Batley. Warren Wilson and Mick Bell at Elland Road. Steve Hullock? Richard Baker? Scott Limb?

Edited by Penola, 19 February 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#8 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Have to say muscroft aka Eddie shoestring was in my era the most prolific try scorer i remember didn't we lose him to hull Kr with ray price coming the other way ?

Not sure about the swap with Price but he certainly played ay Wembley for HKR.

There are 2 places up for grabs here so what about Eric Fitzsimmons? Might not have been the speediest winger we've ever had but probably the greatest goal kicker.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#9 new orleans hawk

new orleans hawk
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

St John Ellis anyone?
Posted Image

#10 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

elliot kear, although not sure he actually played on the wing for us

#11 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Has to be Plangey for me, like Evo says i've never seen so many other wingers get carried off the pitch as a result of him rushing out of defence & smashing them... he knew his way to the try line too!!

not sure about the other wing spot... Scott Limb has been mentioned, he definitely knew his way to the try line!!

Raw? Bartliff? Bell? Sterling? hard to choose really!!

Im not 100% sure on the name but i think it was Waite or Waites something like that, winger in Elland Road days, he could shift a bit...

#12 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Richie Barnett :lol: :lol: :lol:

#13 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Am i the only one who rated Barnett?ok he made errors-so did Bryn Powell who was similar- but give him a decent pass like against Toulouse at home 2 yr ago and he was away from 50 yards without a hand on him.
Posted Image

#14 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Am i the only one who rated Barnett?ok he made errors-so did Bryn Powell who was similar- but give him a decent pass like against Toulouse at home 2 yr ago and he was away from 50 yards without a hand on him.

He was bad and lazy Steve , out of position most of the time , never rated him

#15 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Id say Richard Baker also, but hes going to be my pick for fullback.

#16 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

rick, i understand where your coming from but he does have ability, still scoring for Keighley now and got 3 tries for sheffield against wigan in a cup tie not so long ago.I think the problem with wingers is they dont get any quality passes on that pitch.
Posted Image

#17 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Has to be Plangey for me, like Evo says i've never seen so many other wingers get carried off the pitch as a result of him rushing out of defence & smashing them... he knew his way to the try line too!!

not sure about the other wing spot... Scott Limb has been mentioned, he definitely knew his way to the try line!!

Raw? Bartliff? Bell? Sterling? hard to choose really!!

Im not 100% sure on the name but i think it was Waite or Waites something like that, winger in Elland Road days, he could shift a bit...

Keith Waites

#18 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

rick, i understand where your coming from but he does have ability, still scoring for Keighley now and got 3 tries for sheffield against wigan in a cup tie not so long ago.I think the problem with wingers is they dont get any quality passes on that pitch.

The trouble with Barnett is he's dog sh*t Steve. You could lay him in all day and it would be a knockonathon. Up there with the worst I've seen in a Huns shirt and there's plenty to pick from
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#19 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Keith Waites

Brian Waites
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#20 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Brian Waites

There was definitely a Keith Waites for us. Frisky? Gabby?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users