Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Wingers

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS
  • Coach
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Muscroft for me.
Way ahead of the rest. Plangey on pyher wing.
2. Muscroft
5. Plange
6. Mannson
7. King
13. Webb
May the FORCE be with you.
Top Bombing - Ave it son.
ITS SPITTIN !!
Its not bloody TIDDLEYWINKS ya know !!

#22 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Always rated George Rayner didnt he start as a winger?
Posted Image

#23 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Always rated George Rayner didnt he start as a winger?

I bet his stats are pretty good, and im sure he got voted player of the year on 2 occasions? Still dodgy under the high ball.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#24 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Brian Waites played for us and Batley.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#25 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

When appearing on Mastermind The Archbishops Envoy Terry Waites was asked which was his chosen subject to which he replied Iraq,i Radiators 1985 to 90..
Posted Image

#26 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

When appearing on Mastermind The Archbishops Envoy Terry Waites was asked which was his chosen subject to which he replied Iraq,i Radiators 1985 to 90..

I had a mate like him at school Steve , always sticking his nose into other peoples business , he went to Africa to help the starving and they et him........... :lol:

#27 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

rick, i understand where your coming from but he does have ability, still scoring for Keighley now and got 3 tries for sheffield against wigan in a cup tie not so long ago.I think the problem with wingers is they dont get any quality passes on that pitch.

Barnett was given 4 out of 10 recently for Keighley, the lowest of all the team!
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#28 Ironhawk

Ironhawk
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

In more recent times I used to like watching Scott Aitkin
I was there that night he put 7 tries past Sheffield in the second team
Posted Image

#29 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

In more recent times I used to like watching Scott Aitkin
I was there that night he put 7 tries past Sheffield in the second team

Scott stopped playing for the Old Boys a few years ago , because of knee problems and took up Boxing , which is what he's still doing.....he had a op for a knee reconstruction about a week ago........

#30 Ironhawk

Ironhawk
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the Info
Posted Image

#31 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

For me , our best winger was Ronnie Sulipa, the tall,strong and fast new Zealander who played at the dogtrack.
He scored two great tries at Headingly against Leeds in a game, which was played on a Boxing Day. Think it was a league game.

Also remember he played in a game opposite Des Drummond the Leigh/Great Britain winger, and knocked him all over the place,we beat Leigh that day Sulipa scoring again. Des Drummond was known as a hard man in Rugby League, but met his match in Sulipa.

The other winger for me has to be Richard Baker , not as big and powerfull as Sulipa , but fast, heart like a lion , tackle anyone far above his weight, never stopped working. he got a few tries off Manson's perfect chip over the top kicks.

#32 CoventryHawk

CoventryHawk
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I remember Suilipa. I think he was a New Zealand international and it was a real shame he only stayed with us for one season. I'd say the best wing combination would be him and Muscroft but Kingston, who like those two is from the Greyhound stadium days would run them pretty close.

#33 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

There was a guy who was in the same mould as (Des Drummnd, Henderson Gill) at the Greyhound track , just remember his surname Francis i think.....

#34 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Rudi Francis rick, he was pants. I think we had Norman Francis as a kid, he then played for Leeds and Bramley, a right beast but sadly lacking in commitment.
Posted Image

#35 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Rudi Francis rick, he was pants. I think we had Norman Francis as a kid, he then played for Leeds and Bramley, a right beast but sadly lacking in commitment.

And we had Richard Francis didn't we?

Francis Jarvis - not a winger though

#36 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Ha just got my scrap book out and suilipa is all over it lol I have his signed photo twice lol so guess he must have been worthy

#37 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Frani Jarvis was a hooker we signed from bradford northern

Edited by The Mascot, 23 February 2013 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users