Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/02/13 - Bradford Bulls v St Helens - KO 2pm

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Bradford Bulls (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. St Helens (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Chev must be okay. Strange that Adam O'Brien has got the nod; that makes 3 hookers. Maybe Heathie's playing scrumhalf. Good sense, if so.

Simpler explanation for O'Brien being in 19 man squad is he's our last uninjured player so he has to be included to allow us to name 19. Platt was 50/50 last week so in the 19. Now he's ruled out.

Edited by matt newsholme, 22 February 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#42 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Bradford quite comfortably,saints flattered to decieve last season,lucky to have any points at all so far

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

20-0 so far to Saints. Hate to go down this route but this ref is absolutely terrible. Seriously.

#44 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,438 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

26-0 HT
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Second half just ko. Could go either way here. :)

#46 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,300 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

20-0 so far to Saints. Hate to go down this route but this ref is absolutely terrible. Seriously.

I'm clearly in some parallel universe.

This is Gledhill on the tweetbox: "Where's all this criticism for the referee coming from? He's wearing pink and blue and not missing tackles."
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#47 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

This is Gledhill on the tweetbox: "Where's all this criticism for the referee coming from? He's wearing pink and blue and not missing tackles."

Presumably his microohone is on.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#48 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Who is the referee? Hope its not the deplorable Robert Hicks.

#49 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Who is the referee? Hope its not the deplorable Robert Hicks.

Tim Roby.

#50 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Fantastic to see Lomax get a hat trick. Given that Wellens is clearly past his best it's surely time to stop stifling Jonny at scrum half and make him the fullback permanently.

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Bulls are hardly playing great. But some of these calls are terrible. I know what it sounds like but the penalties given in the first half were ludicrously inconsistent. They spoilt the contest.

#52 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Tim Roby.

Just as bad IMO

#53 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Very happy with that result :) hopefully this will give us a bit of confidence ahead of an intense couple of weeks.

#54 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,300 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Bulls are hardly playing great. But some of these calls are terrible. I know what it sounds like but the penalties given in the first half were ludicrously inconsistent. They spoilt the contest.

Sounds like Bradford weren't up to much though?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#55 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Feck. :(

Out enthused and out muscled. Rather diesheartened by the lack of fight in the Bulls side today, similar to the Hull FC game. Truly awful officiating and the slowest ruck I've seen in a decade and the first time I've seen genuine bias. <- That will be picked out by the usual suspects but sod 'em, it happened. But take nothing away from St Helens and the two Roby's out there today. We still can't handle big Willie and Lomax was always a threat at full-back, not sure about Wilkin at scrum half, he might as well as played Union, all he did was kick on the last. Many Bulls players were just ineffective, did too much work on their own line and own quarter for too long of the game. Too many missed tackles from our forwards. Down hearted, disappointed in the spectacle and feeling incredibly aggrieved but as Saints fans can attest to round 1, these things happen sometimes.

Still, I do like a Saturday game cos there's tonights game and then a full day tomorrow! Big, big improvement needed for Huddersfield.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#56 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Sounds like Bradford weren't up to much though?

I don't think they were but its hard to tell under the circumstances. Saints were the better team but I don't think they were as dominant as such a scoreline would suggest. Almost all their trys came from penalties given near the Bulls line. Oh and there's a new rule whereby if a player is tackled in the in goal area and makes it onto the playing area, its still a drop out under the sticks.

#57 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I don't think they were but its hard to tell under the circumstances. Saints were the better team but I don't think they were as dominant as such a scoreline would suggest. Almost all their trys came from penalties given near the Bulls line. Oh and there's a new rule whereby if a player is tackled in the in goal area and makes it onto the playing area, its still a drop out under the sticks.

We're not allowed to edit so I think you mean "tripped in the in goal area..." Wilkick got done on the step and stuck his leg out.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#58 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

We're not allowed to edit so I think you mean "tripped in the in goal area..." Wilkick got done on the step and stuck his leg out.

I was thinking of Kear in the second half who managed to get back in play and still got pinged for a drop out.

#59 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Saints were the better team and I've no complaints about the result.

However, and I try not to pick on the officials, their performance today was abysmal. I think the balance and outcome of the game would have been closer if Bradford had been given a fair crack of the whip.

I would sincerely request Stuart Cummins to watch the video of this game in the company of Tim Roby and his linesmen. On today's evidence, none of them are up to performing at this level.

Plenty of people will have paid £20 to see a game ruined before halftime by a referee who could only see one side lying on and standing offside and two linesman who contributed nothing other than signalling where the ball crossed the touchline.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

What is the rule in this scenario? A high shot was deemed to have occurred against Lomax as he kicked the ball, where should the resulting penalty be played? (not a trick question, I don't know the answer)