Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/02/13 - Bradford Bulls v St Helens - KO 2pm

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Bradford Bulls (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. St Helens (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm pretty sure that neither me nor Roby know either.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#62 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

A late hit on the kicker is where the ball is fielded

So I don't know about a high shot lol

#63 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I was thinking of Kear in the second half who managed to get back in play and still got pinged for a drop out.

Me too. Kear did Wilkick with a step, got tripped and then did what you said.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#64 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

What is the rule in this scenario? A high shot was deemed to have occurred against Lomax as he kicked the ball, where should the resulting penalty be played? (not a trick question, I don't know the answer)

Owt on a kicker is where the ball lands.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#65 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me.

Saints have had 2 away games this year and both times the home fans have felt aggrieved by the refereeing, with special mention to the ruck speed. Of course fans will always moan and blame the referee but there comes a point when the fans might just have a point.

Fans aren't as stupid as people will often think they are. For instance on this issue, many understand the whole dominant/surrender aspect of tackling but many also understand when this is being abused and is just holding down. At the Widnes game it didn't matter who won the collision whether the player got quickly to his knees or whether he was worked to his back, Saints were just allowed to hold on for a number of seconds.

It is a big problem and one that we saw at Huddersfield and Wigan a couple of seasons ago. It really kills the spectacle and needs to be stamped out. Look at last night's game, it was quick and the PTB was policed fairly. The result was an entertaining game. If all teams played the Saints way we would have a much worse spectacle.

I'm not a fan of comparing our sport to Union but I caught a glimpse of Super 15 yesterday morning and couldn't believe how quick the ruck speed was. They've brought in some new rules and they certainly felt the best way to play was to get quick ball. It just struck me what whilst they are trying to speek up the ruck for more entertaining play, we are allowing and promoting tactics that massively slow the ruck down. The average used to be around 4 seconds, it was counted as high as 8 seconds during the Widnes game.

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Owt on a kicker is where the ball lands.

OK thanks. Wasn't sure.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#67 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I do feel guilty about laying into Roby, and if I wasn't a big fat fatty I think I'd give officiating a go, like I said last week he is someone's son, brother, husband and dad no doubt.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#68 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I do feel guilty about laying into Roby, and if I wasn't a big fat fatty I think I'd give officiating a go, like I said last week he is someone's son, brother, husband and dad no doubt.

It's not necessarily the ref's fault but the interpretation of the rules that is passed down to them.

The referees should be ensuring a fair game but also a good spectacle. I'm not a huge fan of Ganson but I saw an interview with him the other day and he was asked what he thought at half-time and he said, 'good, quick game.' This should be what they are after.

I think some refs are intimidated by somebody like Nathan Brown, like they think he must know the rules better than they do. It's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for their allowance of blatant holding down.

#69 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

My two tips for big improvers have both beaten the mighty Bulls, coincidence? I think not... we won't lose again! :D

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#70 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Until next week ;)

#71 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Special mention must go to Jarrod Sammut. Despite bombing a try he never stopped trying. Can't see us getting near Hudds but hope for a good effort.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#72 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Numpty - a short word with one vowel and ending in "y"
Roby - ...

I'll leave readers to spot the difference.

Edited by Wolford6, 24 February 2013 - 03:50 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#73 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

To take it away from the ref for a moment (I'll be coming back to him though), I thought in the first 20 minutes the Bulls didn't look awake at all - right from the kick off Saints out-enthused us and you can't blame the ref for some - frankly - appalling tackling in the first quarter. We seemed to get a sniff of it about 25 minutes in, by that time though the game was over. Shame, if we'd come to the KO a bit sharper we would have seen a good close game I think.

Now the ref, I'll say this. For the first time in years I saw a ref who was genuinely out of his depth. I mean at times, not a clue what was going on. I do think the penalties at the ruck were rediculous in the first half, considering Saints seemed to be doing similar things to the Bulls and getting away with it. It winds the crowd up, of course, but then you have to think we got a lot our way 2nd half against Cas.

However, the ref was just plain missing big calls - both ways as well. Lomax got clattered by one of our forwards in a tackle that should have probably gone on report, and a couple of late challenges as well. There were some stoppages in play where he didn't really know how to restart the game. If the game had been more of a showpiece and closer as a contest there was a real danger a few players might have been sent off as he had bare minimal control of the game and almost no authority. I certainly don't blame the ref for the result (he didn't miss the tackles, and it was just one of those days where when we did start playing, we didn't get the bounce of the ball), but I don't think he is ready to ref Super League - or at least he wasn't on Saturday.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 25 February 2013 - 01:19 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#74 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#75 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpXWq6H449s&list=UUDoKbw7Np8oheT6XCtjPf2A

The group of people near the camera seemed like typically well-balanced Yorkshire folk. :lol:

Edited by Just Browny, 26 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users