Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

24/02/13 - Salford City Reds v Hull KR - KO 6.15pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford City Reds (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Voted Hull KR (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. Draw (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

So you would say that conceding 34 points was a sign of good defence? And while Salford DID fight back, they wouldn't have stood an earthly against any other team (bar London, at present) than Hull KR because Hull KR's defence is equally tosh.

you tell me, what about the 40 that you conceded against huddersfield! the only problem is that you didnt fight back that day unlke salford.

this is what i said to my self that day,

i wish id have posted it on here now!

'Well, I thought saints might be putting up a fight but I think if I was a saints player I would feel embarrassed by myself and my team with that second half showing in defence. Even for a team of no-hopers, fringe players and #######, the defensive effort is shocking. Shame really as the first half was much better than I thought it would be'. ;)

Edited by shun, 24 February 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#82 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

you tell me, what about the 40 that you conceded against huddersfield! the only problem is that you didnt fight back that day unlke salford.

Damn right we didn't and I was extremely critical of my team. I joined in with the fans who booed Saints off the pitch - twice! They were an utter disgrace that day and I hope not to see them perform so pathetically in defence again. I'll happily boo them off if they do.

i wish id have posted it on here now!

'Well, I thought saints might be putting up a fight but I think if I was a saints player I would feel embarrassed by myself and my team with that second half showing in defence. Even for a team of no-hopers, fringe players and #######, the defensive effort is shocking. Shame really as the first half was much better than I thought it would be'. ;)

And had you done so, I would have agreed with you.

And Salford IS a team thrown together including fringe players (two of ours, for example), no hopers (Gleeson - drug ban - and McGoldrick - released from Cas, not taken on by Hull), and loanees (you're getting two more this week I believe). If you had read any of my other comments about Salford on this board you will also have known that I did not want Salford to die as a club, I want them to thrive and be challenging for honours. I also have expressed support for them in their efforts in past threads.

So stop being so childish.

#83 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Just admi you were wrong ffs

Gladly. I was wrong about Salford not fighting back. And I am very glad to have been wrong about Salford not fighting back. It was great that they won. I'm really pleased that they did. That is exactly what I wanted for them.

#84 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I travelled from my home in Malton more in hope than expectation but it was worth it. I thought we'd definitely blown it mid-way through the second half. Where did that belief come from?

Most of the comments suggest you enjoyed the game, which is nice to know, but we need to keep our feet on the ground here. Two very poor defences. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of mistakes. Missed tackles, dropped passes, knock-ons. There must be a few attack-minded teams licking their lips over the prospect of really boosting their points for tally against these two teams. However, defence can be coached (I know heart can't be, but did the teams lack heart? I don't think so. Positioning and technique were missing, not heart) and both teams will get better during the season. A little part of me felt sorry for the band of KR fans, who must have thought they'd won, but only a little part! :)

It was a poor crowd, yes. However, as someone has already pointed out, it was a strange kick-off time (one hour later and I definitely would not have gone - up at 5:45am, on the road for 6:30am) which won't have helped the visiting fans, it was freezing cold, it was on Sky and it was two teams with poor records. Hey-ho.

Tonight, I am a happy bunny! :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#85 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Nice one Tony. I'm pleased for you and Salford and I hope you build on this. I enjoyed it on telly, great entertainment.

#86 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Got to say I am glad Salford got a win under their belt.

Salford defence looked like it was a team that hadn't spent a lot of time together, which I guess they haven't, don't know what Rovers excuse is

#87 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Shocker that...put the handbrake on for some reason....should have put his head down and dove over

Looked like he didn't fancy the collision with the cover defence and bottled it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#88 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Saintslass is responsible for more facepalm posts than Lobby these days.

Pleased for Tony, RW and the other long-suffering Salford fans on here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#89 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

I am still a bit shocked by our win last night to be honest!

Great game for the fans but a nightmare for coaches. Both defences out wide were terrible ...

Hull KR lost through conceding far too many pens and we were quite good discipline wise. Also kicking was good - Sneyd was a new man. He scored from chasing his own kick, setup tries with acurate grubbers, tested Rovers defence with high kicks (at last) and managed a 40/20. I thought Martin Gleeson was solid and we need some experienced players in there right now.

Darrell Griffin made a big difference. Having a new guy in seemed to fire up our props and I was very happy with the effort of Jewitt, Boyle and McPherson. The are not a world class group by any means, but for once we were not beaten up front all night. The sending off was a shame for both - silly as it wasn't that sort of game.

I would expect us to concede big points until we get our new players bedded in and have a few months of training / matches under the belt. We have Liam Foran & Vic Mauro arriving from Aus today / tomorrow and both are possibles for London on Friday - so all in all we are going the right way.

Awful crowd, but I think we all know that Salford hit rock bottom - players leaving, we were doing bucket collections 8 weeks ago and had no club bank account, internet access or phones 4 weeks ago - it is getting sorted, but 3 heavy losses against good opponents didn't help. Our average gate was 5600 last year, so work to do - but a better team, better communications from the club to fans are all happening, so it should creep back up over the year as we recover from near death!

I think Rovers have a better team than their results so far. They have had lots of personel changes and off field stuff going on and it will take them time to get it together too. I think they will come good later in the season.

#90 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I have no idea how the hell we won that game. How did a team throw away a 20 point lead? Have to laugh at the KR fans singing about Old Trafford, they sure went quiet when the fight back started B)

Griffin is huge compared to our pack. Gleeson looked strong but not fit, along with a number of other players not game ready. Gibson only discovered he was playing 30 mins before kick off.

Special mention to Sneyd, he really performed well given the chance, that ball steal was very Clinch like.

Jewitt really was the wrong man to pick on, a guy who knocked out his opponent in the ring and has since trained with Ricky Hatton :D

I'm sure it will all go wrong again, but for now I'm enjoying the buzz.

#91 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.