• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Oldham

Unluckily for those living in Oldham in Manchester, their town is the only non-London town to make it into the top eight worst places to live in the UK. According to the poll, this stems from inhabitants being dissatisfied with the amount of things to do in the area. In addition, those living in Oldham are not too impressed with the community spirit and safety of their neighbourhood.
http://www.ehow.co.u...-live.html#pg=7

Edited by JohnM, 20 February 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#2 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Not long since moved out of Oldham, Some of the surrounding suburbs are ok but the centre is a waste of time I can't think of any reason for anyone to ever want to go there ahead of any other town. Sad really as 15 years ago that wasn't the case.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#3 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

My Dad says Oldham was always rubbish (and he's a Latics fan of 70 years standing). Personally I recall it being much better than it is now, where I agree, there is no good reason for anybody to go there, except Sainsburys, perhaps. Maybe the Metrolink down Union Street will help revive the place - or maybe it'll just help people get to Manchester faster.

#4 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

it will just encourage people to visit Manchester, anyone from the city visiting Oldham would only do it once. The years of traffic problems caused by the Metrolink work was probably the final nail in the coffin for the town.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Oldham is basically the Bradford of Lancashire. The people got Thatchered and since then have been let down by their public representatives and successive governments.

Now you've got two distinct communities, friction between them and a resultant reputation that deters investors.

I've done odd bits of work over in that area and I've never had any problems; I quite like it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not long since moved out of Oldham, Some of the surrounding suburbs are ok but the centre is a waste of time I can't think of any reason for anyone to ever want to go there ahead of any other town. Sad really as 15 years ago that wasn't the case.

I'm from Rochdale but 20 to 30 years ago Oldham was a far, far better town for a night out than was my home town and I was a regular there. The number and different types of pubs in the town centre was amazing. Places like "Hark to Topper", "Old Mess House", Yates' WL", and "Miners Arms" were always great going from old fashioned boozers with blokes playing Dominoes etc through to pubs with DJs playing great music at mind-numbing volumes.
Not been to either Rochdale or Oldham centre for a night out in many a year so couldn't comment now.

I'm always surprised with how many ex-Oldhamers now live in Rochdale as to me the two towns are very similar in many ways.

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 20 February 2013 - 01:43 PM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#7 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Last time I was in Oldham on a night out was many years ago but every bar is pretty much the same. Way to loud, no one over 25 and with a higher than you'd want chance of random violence. Only highlight was "the castle" which is a good live music venue.

#8 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Last time I was in Oldham on a night out was many years ago but every bar is pretty much the same. Way to loud, no one over 25 and with a higher than you'd want chance of random violence. Only highlight was "the castle" which is a good live music venue.

Doesn't that describe most towns and cities nowadays?
Fides invicta triumphat

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Doesn't this partly describe the ageing process.? ;) :)

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Went to college there for four full-time years 1964 to 1968 and the place was in gradual urban developmental decline in a way that seems to have affected many northern towns. As old housing, shopping and industral properties were demolished for redevelopment. their replacements seemed visually at least, to be worse.

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Shopping centre is better than Rochdales but the area outside and the Market are a shaddow of themselves.

As for Rochdales nightlife, there isn't any! No one goes out till 11pm.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

When reading that i mentally substitute the word Oldham for the word of my hometown Dewsbury.
A shame really but i think it is the case of a good number of our towns.

#14 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,844 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Erm, so is Oldham all ten of the worst places?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#15 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Went to college there for four full-time years 1964 to 1968 and the place was in gradual urban developmental decline in a way that seems to have affected many northern towns. As old housing, shopping and industral properties were demolished for redevelopment. their replacements seemed visually at least, to be worse.

Your description of Oldham (above) could equally well describe Manchester itself up to a few years ago. In the 50s and 60s, it was fantastic (mind you, I was very young), but the 70s redevelopment totally wrecked the centre for the next 20 - 30 years. It has now turned itself around and I really enjoyed my "Magic Weekend" (sic) there last year.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Erm, so is Oldham all ten of the worst places?

The ten worst places are eight in number.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

The ten worst places are eight in number.

9. Down South
10.The bits next to Down South
;) :)

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

9. Down South
10.The bits next to Down South
;) :)

They really were though on that list, Oldham was the only place outside Larndan.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Larndan begins at Peterbrough.

And ends at Exeter

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

They really were though on that list, Oldham was the only place outside Larndan.

Lazy list though, as these things always are.

But, obviously, the one that confirmed my present locale as Britain's Most Desirable Village was correct in every way.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users