Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Stadium Rumour

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Poo how many on here go to church or send their kids to sunday school? And isn't sunday a day of rest? We dont seem to mind our team earning a few quid on sunday! We live in a free society you ban muslims and next they will be banning scrums on homophobic grounds.

:D :D

Well put PM. It is staggering to see that an initial post based upon something someone had heard from someone who had no real idea what they were talking about is turning into a vitriolic.

Get a grip on yourselves people. This is a RL forum remember, not a place for cant, prejudice or bigotry. B)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#42 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Well put PM. It is staggering to see that an initial post based upon something someone had heard from someone who had no real idea what they were talking about is turning into a vitriolic.

Get a grip on yourselves people. This is a RL forum remember, not a place for cant, prejudice or bigotry. B)

Unless its aimed at the Rams of course :)

#43 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Dont worry lads/lasses always come and play at our ground.Me thinks though its April come early.

#44 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

Making a statement on facts is not vitriol but stating the truth, however painful that may be to some people

#45 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Theres 40 in Dewsbury and Batley.

And this is a fact Frank? And it makes for sad times? I have lived and worked in batley and dewsbury for 48 years and never had any issues. Next folk will be complaining about parking....... oh hang on!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#46 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I guess that it is reasonable to discuss how changes in ethnicity in the Mount Pleasant/Batley area effects the Rugby League club, provided that it doesn't become a platform for bigotry. A more useful topic might be 'how do we attract young Asian spectators'. Making them feel welcome would be a start.

#47 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

its not a a case of bigotry its honesty ignore the islamification of our country if you will. Its happening even if you appeasists ignore the facts so be it. As for muslims coming to watch Batley forget it . It wil not happen. Our ground is surrounded by thousands of muslim houses how many come ?. They will not pay i have been a supporter for 50 years Batley has always had a large muslim population unfortunately very very rarely visiting the mount. As for you BSJ its not vitreol its fact. The trouble with even discussing muslims in this country is unless you are saying nice things you are branded a racist. I still ask the question isnt 40 mosques enough ?.

#48 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

My point, Greavesy and others, is that you are allowing a transparent rumour to ignite your, albeit deeply held, prejudices. It doesn't take much to set you off does it?

How would you react if someone was really trying to buy Mount Pleasant?

Now do you have anything to say about RL?

Rams above Bulldogs in the league - discuss!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#49 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

its not a a case of bigotry its honesty ignore the islamification of our country if you will. Its happening even if you appeasists ignore the facts so be it. As for muslims coming to watch Batley forget it . It wil not happen. Our ground is surrounded by thousands of muslim houses how many come ?. They will not pay i have been a supporter for 50 years Batley has always had a large muslim population unfortunately very very rarely visiting the mount. As for you BSJ its not vitreol its fact. The trouble with even discussing muslims in this country is unless you are saying nice things you are branded a racist. I still ask the question isnt 40 mosques enough ?.

Whether or not members of our Muslim population wish to visit the Mount is absolutely, utterly irrelevant to the original post and our situation as a whole. There are thousands of people in Batley who have never, ever chosen to support our club - the majority non-Muslim. 99.9% of the people on my street don't/have never supported Batley RLFC. What's the difference?
No-one minds anyone discussing Muslims/Islam, but if making the statement of 'sad times' in response to a post mooting the opening of a new Mosque isn't one that reeks of negativity, then I'm not what sure what is?
Demographics change over time. There are many Catholic churches in this area nowadays. 150 years ago - before the arrival of thousands of Irish Catholics, that probably wouldn't have been the case. Is this indicative of of 'sad times', in your opinion? If not, please explain what the difference is?
FYI, you may have noticed that we have a young Muslim fan who travels home and away - and has done for a number of years. If he uses this forum - which is likely, given his age, I wonder how he feels about reading some of the comments posted on this thread?

Edited by Philius T Wilderbeest, 03 March 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#50 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

My point, Greavesy and others, is that you are allowing a transparent rumour to ignite your, albeit deeply held, prejudices. It doesn't take much to set you off does it? - Agreed

How would you react if someone was really trying to buy Mount Pleasant? - With rabid fervour

Now do you have anything to say about RL?

Rams above Bulldogs in the league - discuss! - Early days yet!

#51 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Forgive me if im wrong but this topic is driffting from rugby but to religon !!! Also just wondering why would we move when we ave brillant faciltys and we ave wind turbine plud solar pannels surly we are under some contract for thr turbine?

#52 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Also just wondering why would we move when we ave brillant faciltys and we ave wind turbine plud solar pannels surly we are under some contract for thr turbine?

A very good offer ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#53 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 867 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

If a developer came into to buy MP is there any Batley fans that would want to move? Would you be happy moving to a purpose built rugby stadium or is the history of MP too big a draw?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#54 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

I think the slope always offers a different dimension that makes for better games! I also like how close you get to the action especially with my eyesight. I for one wouldnt want to go elsewhere.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#55 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Whether or not members of our Muslim population wish to visit the Mount is absolutely, utterly irrelevant to the original post and our situation as a whole. There are thousands of people in Batley who have never, ever chosen to support our club - the majority non-Muslim. 99.9% of the people on my street don't/have never supported Batley RLFC. What's the difference?
No-one minds anyone discussing Muslims/Islam, but if making the statement of 'sad times' in response to a post mooting the opening of a new Mosque isn't one that reeks of negativity, then I'm not what sure what is?
Demographics change over time. There are many Catholic churches in this area nowadays. 150 years ago - before the arrival of thousands of Irish Catholics, that probably wouldn't have been the case. Is this indicative of of 'sad times', in your opinion? If not, please explain what the difference is?
FYI, you may have noticed that we have a young Muslim fan who travels home and away - and has done for a number of years. If he uses this forum - which is likely, given his age, I wonder how he feels about reading some of the comments posted on this thread?

In reply to you and other posters Philius.If the inhabitants of the Mount felt like you, then I am sure more would be attending games at the Mount.Unforunately they are not and to sell them the Mount would only entrench that position.

#56 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

It's easy to be negative about the lack of interest shown by the local Asian community in coming to watch the Bulldogs but we need to be realistic. Batley is now a town where half the population are probably of Asian descent. We need to be proactive/positive rather than negative and consider the following:
.When Bradford City went to Wembley ten days ago, if you were to believe Sky Sports News then a large proportion of their fans were Asian. Nearly all the interviews Sky did were with Asians - and they were all fired up and as keen on the game as any 'traditional' fan
. Bradford Bulls are now owned by an Asian businessman. Not sure how many Asians go to Odsal regularly but I'm sure that the new owner will be targeting a big increase in Asian support for the Bulls
. Batley Cricket Club is now 100% Asian and playing in the top division of the CYL.
All this suggests that the Asians ARE interested in sport and can be convinced to attend sporting events if approached properly. Mention was made of the Asian lad who supports Batley. May I suggest he is probably the most important supporter that we have. Perhaps Paul Harrison should be seeking him out, sitting down with him, finding out why he likes the sport, inviting his family and friends to the next match.Invite Ikram Butt along for a discussion on how to connect with the local community. It can't do any harm and could easily be the way of opening the door to more local Asian support. The alternative is to allow our current support levels to gradually erode away until we cannot support a Championship level budget and consequences that hardly bear considering. The Asians are not going to go away- we need to be realistic and try to engage with them rather than seeing them as a group who will never be interested in our sport.

#57 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

It's easy to be negative about the lack of interest shown by the local Asian community in coming to watch the Bulldogs but we need to be realistic. Batley is now a town where half the population are probably of Asian descent. We need to be proactive/positive rather than negative and consider the following:
.When Bradford City went to Wembley ten days ago, if you were to believe Sky Sports News then a large proportion of their fans were Asian. Nearly all the interviews Sky did were with Asians - and they were all fired up and as keen on the game as any 'traditional' fan
. Bradford Bulls are now owned by an Asian businessman. Not sure how many Asians go to Odsal regularly but I'm sure that the new owner will be targeting a big increase in Asian support for the Bulls
. Batley Cricket Club is now 100% Asian and playing in the top division of the CYL.
All this suggests that the Asians ARE interested in sport and can be convinced to attend sporting events if approached properly. Mention was made of the Asian lad who supports Batley. May I suggest he is probably the most important supporter that we have. Perhaps Paul Harrison should be seeking him out, sitting down with him, finding out why he likes the sport, inviting his family and friends to the next match.Invite Ikram Butt along for a discussion on how to connect with the local community. It can't do any harm and could easily be the way of opening the door to more local Asian support. The alternative is to allow our current support levels to gradually erode away until we cannot support a Championship level budget and consequences that hardly bear considering. The Asians are not going to go away- we need to be realistic and try to engage with them rather than seeing them as a group who will never be interested in our sport.

Good post.

We all need more supporters. I have read elsewhere that the Championship is now referred to in some quarters as "the old man's league" and when i look in the mirror and at my fellow supporters I can understand where that comes from. It was also shocking to see that of all of this weekend's non-SL games only one attracted a gate of more than 1000. Difficult times!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#58 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Poo how many on here go to church or send their kids to sunday school? And isn't sunday a day of rest? We dont seem to mind our team earning a few quid on sunday! We live in a free society you ban muslims and next they will be banning scrums on homophobic grounds.

But where free to go to church if we want.In the eyes of Islam if you dont follow it your an Infidel and whats more Homophobic than the religion of Islam.Their still stoning people to death in parts of the Muslim world.Darkages comes to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users