Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Amber Ribbon

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I've been reading the "Embarrassing apathy" thread by GFDU. I suppose some of the initial sentiments have a degree of truth in them. But, reading on, it struck me that there are a lot of people out there with great enthusiasm and great ideas.All looking for a way to put them into action.
There also appears to be a desire to do these things independently from the club. Our neighbours across the valley have such an organisation, BISSA, and, fair play to them, it seems to be a great success.

Why don't WE do something similar? It might be a bit of a challenge initially, getting the thing set up and organised, but surely it's not beyond us, we all have skills and contacts. (I know Tom Coates quite well and I'm sure he'd help with publicity and stuff)

Let's say we get 5 or 6 interested at first. Isn't that enough to organise a bit of a social evening? Have an auction/quiz/raffle. I know this is not an earth shattering idea... but it's a start.

Once we get organised and have some sort of structure and hopefully a bit of money we can be a bit more ambitious. We could have a variety of events - just read the "Embarassing..." thread, the ideas are great!

Any monies we raise will be ours to donate to the club as we see fit, perhaps to squad-builder, perhaps elsewhere. I'd like to have a stadium clock, but that's just me.

It doesn't have to be a chore, we could meet in the pub, have a chat about what we'd like to do, and DO it. I think we could have a great time and help the club.

I'm up for it so I'll start, respond here if you want to have a go.

Flying 5 is willing to have a go.

#2 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've been reading the "Embarrassing apathy" thread by GFDU. I suppose some of the initial sentiments have a degree of truth in them. But, reading on, it struck me that there are a lot of people out there with great enthusiasm and great ideas.All looking for a way to put them into action.
There also appears to be a desire to do these things independently from the club. Our neighbours across the valley have such an organisation, BISSA, and, fair play to them, it seems to be a great success.

Why don't WE do something similar? It might be a bit of a challenge initially, getting the thing set up and organised, but surely it's not beyond us, we all have skills and contacts. (I know Tom Coates quite well and I'm sure he'd help with publicity and stuff)

Let's say we get 5 or 6 interested at first. Isn't that enough to organise a bit of a social evening? Have an auction/quiz/raffle. I know this is not an earth shattering idea... but it's a start.

Once we get organised and have some sort of structure and hopefully a bit of money we can be a bit more ambitious. We could have a variety of events - just read the "Embarassing..." thread, the ideas are great!

Any monies we raise will be ours to donate to the club as we see fit, perhaps to squad-builder, perhaps elsewhere. I'd like to have a stadium clock, but that's just me.

It doesn't have to be a chore, we could meet in the pub, have a chat about what we'd like to do, and DO it. I think we could have a great time and help the club.

I'm up for it so I'll start, respond here if you want to have a go.

Flying 5 is willing to have a go.

Count me in. Been a supporter since 1970 and still a "Young Un". It can't hurt to have an initial brainstorm of ideas and who knows what will be thrown into the mix.

#3 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Start with a bucket collection this week.

#4 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Start with a bucket collection this week.

Bad idea, thats basically scrounging, OK for junior RL clubs, charities and Halifax but not for a potential squadbuilder, like i said before, you need to be giving something back not just taking.

#5 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Flying 5 - I would struggle for time (but member of DREMA and Squadbuilder since start so do contribute) but have some experience of fund raising with rugby club my son plays for and know how to organise things. Happy to help but really don't have time to do much running around, but do have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

And like Gary Coyle says, the absolute first thing to do is to talk to Batley and Hunslet to know what works and what events pay back the most.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 21 February 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#6 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

This is great!
So far, Young Un and Wakefield Ram are in. (3 in total now with me)
Equaliser and Gary, thanks for your contribution to the thread, but you don't say whether you can join us.

#7 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Equaliser - I think it might be best to have some sort of organisation before we start collecting. Who keeps the money? Where is it going? But thanks for the suggestion.

#8 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Im in

no point giving ideas on here
then running away...

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Gary, thanks for your contribution to the thread, but you don't say whether you can join us.

:D :D :D

#10 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Coolie, that's 4 confirmed.

Any more?

#11 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

i have been working for the last couple of days but i am encouraged by the response on here . leave this until monday and we will organise a meeting . thanks .

#12 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Make sure it's happy hour and I will be there : )
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#13 RogerTRam

RogerTRam
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I could be useful before the Ram I used to quite a pro at fund raising and events planning / organising. After 10 years doing it I lost count of how much money I had raised for good causes.

#14 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

GFDU - if you can , please announce the plans to form a group at half time. this forum is fine but only a small % of fans read it. Bit of pre-publicity just to warm fans up to the idea.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 22 February 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#15 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Flying 5 , please check your pm's.
WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#16 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

OK, are we all ready for this. Let's do it!
I see no point in waiting any longer, after all we're not going to close the door behind us. Any future newcomers would be made welcome. We need to make a start. I've had quite a bit of feedback, tons of great ideas, even contact from our friends in BISSA. Let me say, I see BISSA as a helping hand towards success, not enemies.
I can even see future joint ventures. I know that might alarm some of you but I have received nothing but helpful advice and encouragement from across the valley. I was told just how financially successful BISSA has been, you'd be staggered. I can't really say on here what the figures were, but if we can get even NEAR them we'd be doing great. But before we start discussing ideas and projects we need to get this thing going.

I don't want to sound like a WMC flat cap, but we do need some organisation and structure. Just think, without it what have we got.. chaos. We need a Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. That'll do for starts. Let's proceed slowly, purposefully, carefully. Building this thing properly.

I've had a few thoughts about what we might call ourselves. Having a mind to autonomy, origins and marketing, how about
"The Amber Ribbon", it features in the only original Dewsbury fans song I know, is not an acronym and has great logo potential. It's better than DRISSA don't you think.

So, the meeting. A pub seems favourite, I'm open to suggestions, perhaps Thursday? Post here your thoughts. Thanks.

#17 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Go to Anyone up for it #1. Please reply if appropriate.

#18 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

What about daz's pub ?

thursdays is rugby night..how about see who's
interested then see where it fits in.

#19 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks coolie, I know he's a Dewsbury fan, good idea.

#20 alienboy

alienboy
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

You will have to decide if you are having a squadbuilder and if so, whether you take over the club one or create a new one. If the second option supporters will then have to decide which one to contribute to if they don't want to contribute to both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users