TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Amber Ribbon

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#61 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

If anyone passes the hammer & stithy on the way to HH I'd appreciate a lift !
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#62 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

John what time does ya bus get you to the stithy ?

#63 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

John,
I'm sure coolie will come for you but if coolie can't pick you up, I will.

#64 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

John what time does ya bus get you to the stithy ?

That could be a squeeze on coolie's raliegh chopper

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#65 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Heard you'd been riding andy raleigh chopper ;)

hence........

the mature cheese ;)

now piggy i love a bit of banter with you
but lets keep it off the amber ribbon thread ok

anywhere but here mate ok :)

#66 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

The Amber Ribbon on Facebook

The Amber Ribbon on Twitter

#67 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Heard you'd been riding andy raleigh chopper ;)

hence........

the mature cheese ;)

now piggy i love a bit of banter with you
but lets keep it off the amber ribbon thread ok

anywhere but here mate ok :)

Fine - take the banter to another thread, but keep it going lads - it's entertaining :lol:

#68 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

No Coolie's right on this one. As an active member of BISSA I wish you well

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#69 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks piggy
we had some great input from your lads at our
meeting.

fingers crossed some joint ventures in the future

#70 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thanks to everyone who has sent PM's about joining The Amber Ribbon.
There will be several shifty looking gentlemen wandering around the South Stand on Sunday with Flyer's in their pockets for
anyone looking to join the group this weekend.
Also Liz and Charlie Coates will be in the Royal Suite after the game for the posh supporters who recline in the North Stand on matchdays. B)

#71 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who signed up for the Amber Ribbon at the weekend.
Spread the word, and watch out for updates on here and in the press.
(Website is also currently under construction)

#72 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Anyway, now the Amber Ribbon is up and running im sure well see him fleshing out his ideas into something a little more concrete and viable, which can only be a good thing.

How about keeping things simple until you build up a fund, a presence and a direction.

Start with a walk (or cycle) to the away game at York, it'll take around 10hrs to walk and about 4 to cycle. I am sure someone at the club could help publicise and probably York would give the walkers a free ticket to the game and perhaps a walk around with a bucket at half time?

That gives you 3 weeks to hammer home the sponsorship.

Put me down for £20, and a lift home from York for 3 walkers.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#73 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

brilliant idea. keep up the good work

#74 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

I knew FF would rise to the occasion ;)
I was just hoping he would be the one volunteering to walk 39.4m to York.
(I can walk to my local 39.4 times a day)
The next Amber Ribbon meeting is at the Hammer and Stithy on Wed 27th at 7.30pm.
FF's suggestion and others will be discussed then, feel free to submit any fundraising suggestions.

P.S.

Im not a fan of bucket collections as i dont see why opposition fans would feel the need to contribute
(apologies to all those halifax fans out there)

#75 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I knew FF would rise to the occasion ;)
I was just hoping he would be the one volunteering to walk 39.4m to York.
(I can walk to my local 39.4 times a day)
The next Amber Ribbon meeting is at the Hammer and Stithy on Wed 27th at 7.30pm.
FF's suggestion and others will be discussed then, feel free to submit any fundraising suggestions.

P.S.

Im not a fan of bucket collections as i dont see why opposition fans would feel the need to contribute
(apologies to all those halifax fans out there)

Exactly - Because you don't have a purpose. This is my point. If you had a direction, the opposition and home fans would willingly throw some loose change into a bucket. As it stands you have none.

Say for example you decided you wanted to contribute to the building of a new stand. You would base your sponsorship on that, you would have a purpose for a bucket collection and though not everyone would put into it, something would be better than the nothing you currently have.

A sponsored walk costs you nothing, raises your profile, puts money into your fund and gives you good exposure amongst every Dewsbury fan present if you get a walk around at half time. Do you think they all read this board? You've got to start at the bottom and mature, just like some of our elderly members on this forum. The problem is that you have to do it without becoming insular (something Dewsbury folk are notorious for) and it has to have drive and enthusiasm at its core.

But lets be honest John, this Amber Ribbon with you at the helm is going to be little more than a social club of a few old faithful getting together, shooting the sh*t and reminiscing on the good old days and talking about what you'd like to happen, without it actually ever happening.

If York is too far you could always start with Batley ;)

Edited by funkmaster flex, 25 March 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#76 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Exactly - Because you don't have a purpose.

But lets be honest John, this Amber Ribbon with you at the helm is going to be little more than a social club of a few old faithful getting together, shooting the sh*t and reminiscing on the good old days and talking about what you'd like to happen, without it actually ever happening.

The purpose of the group, as I understand it, is to raise money for Dewsbury Rams. The group is barely two weeks old, so it's not a massive surprise that no specific projects have been decided on.

The group has already achieved a lot through the endeavour and teamwork of positive-thinking fans.

#77 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Your sentiments FF say a lot about the negativity and apathy the Amber Ribbon is trying to change. We are a fledgling organisation, we haven't achieved much that's tangible yet, however.
We are a group of individuals who are working very hard to gain some momentum.
We have a basic constitution which we hope to build on in line with members wishes.
We have over thirty members, and growing.
Our bank balance is currently modest, but we've started.
Our meetings are far from talking shops or reminiscences, they are structured, with agenda, minutes and targets.
Work is underway to launch a website.
We have already forged links in the community.
We have the blessing of the club.
We have the support of other similar organisations (BISSA)
We don't just whine on the forum about failure as an inevitability.

John is a valuable member of the team and has worked as hard as anyone to get the AR floating. It seems to me that you don't know what you're talking about. Why not join us, come to a meeting, see what we're doing.
Our purpose? To raise funds for the benefit of the club and for members to have a great time doing it. The reason we don't have specific projects yet is that we want the members who help raise the funds, to decide where it should be spent. It's called democratic inclusion. At our next meeting, we will discuss our first event.
Come on mate, give us a chance.

#78 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Your sentiments FF say a lot about the negativity and apathy the Amber Ribbon is trying to change. We are a fledgling organisation, we haven't achieved much that's tangible yet, however.
We are a group of individuals who are working very hard to gain some momentum.
We have a basic constitution which we hope to build on in line with members wishes.
We have over thirty members, and growing.
Our bank balance is currently modest, but we've started.
Our meetings are far from talking shops or reminiscences, they are structured, with agenda, minutes and targets.
Work is underway to launch a website.
We have already forged links in the community.
We have the blessing of the club.
We have the support of other similar organisations (BISSA)
We don't just whine on the forum about failure as an inevitability.

John is a valuable member of the team and has worked as hard as anyone to get the AR floating. It seems to me that you don't know what you're talking about. Why not join us, come to a meeting, see what we're doing.
Our purpose? To raise funds for the benefit of the club and for members to have a great time doing it. The reason we don't have specific projects yet is that we want the members who help raise the funds, to decide where it should be spent. It's called democratic inclusion. At our next meeting, we will discuss our first event.
Come on mate, give us a chance.

You seem like exactly the type of person the AR needs and I genuinely wish you well.

I have asked John to provide me account details so I can pay the membership fee. He ignored me.

I suggested a walk, offered sponsorship and a lift to some participants and he pretty much rebuffed it saying that I should perhaps do it after he had asked me for a realistic suggestion.

In fairness my comments were aimed at John and not at the AR and I should have made that clear. I wholeheartedly support your endeavour and will gladly help where I can. But John needs to stop his one man pessimistic crusade against all things that float outside his insularity. Perhaps then you'll all be pulling in the same direction.

FF

Edited by funkmaster flex, 25 March 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#79 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

FF, thanks for the reply and the comments therein. I'll speak to John about the breakdown in communications, I'm sure he didn't ignore you, just a glitch. We'd be glad for you to come on board as a member, maybe even in a more specific role. We really are trying hard to make this thing work. I've been a Dewsbury fan for over forty years, I've grown tired of the negativity and doom over the last few years. I have the club at heart. So have all the rest of the team.
I think it might be time to let the past be the past. The AR is new, I agree not yet established, but we're trying. We hope the AR will be a success, if it isn't, it won't be for the lack of trying.
I say this with all sincerity, if you want to join us, come along. We need people with drive, enthusiasm and the right attitude. With commitment and the right approach we can make this work.
Thanks for the interest.

#80 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Given a bit of thought to some fundraising possibilities,sure I will be told if they are not feasable.

1.The Dewsbury Beer Festival is coming up in May,the theme bar this year is in honour of Dewsbury winning the championship in 1973.Could be a good opportunity to get some good publicity and raise money/membership for the Amber Ribbon by getting people to donate time/money to the cause.As long as the organisers of the festival are okay with it.The event is usually well attended.
Following on from that what about trying to get a local brewery on board with making an Amber Ribbon ale that we could try and persuade local pubs to stock (seperate to any agreement the club has with Tetleys)and see if we could get a percentage of each pint sold goes towards fundraising.May increase attendance at Amber Ribbon meetings if it was stocked at the pub where the meetings were held.

2.Some sort of swap/meet for rugby memorabilia collectors.Ebay has heaps of rugby memorabilia sold on it every day.Could look at organising a local one where people can bring things along to sell/trade and ask that a percentage be donated to the fund.Could get Rams fans to bring things along,but encourage people from local clubs both amateur and professional to come along.Could run it at the club itself or somewhere close by.Maybe get the club to put on a display of some kind to get others there,or the World Cup & Challenge Cup could be on show and have photos taken with them.Proceeds to the fund.

3.Further down the track maybe try and produce an Amber Ribbon fanzine,only looking at say 2 editions each season,beginning and mid season, and only a few pages,it can have articles about the fund raising,and things you would not find in a match programme,i.e supporters stories,photos, Coolies column.Anything that involves the club ,supporters and the Amber Ribbon.Sell them on match days and any local outlets for whatever price it takes to cover costs and make some money.

BTW not much happening on the Twitter feed yet.Lets get some chatter going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users