Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Amber Ribbon

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#81 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Great ideas, thanks..are you a member? We need people like you on board to drive these ideas forward.Would you like to come to the next meeting and expand your thoughts.

#82 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Great ideas, thanks..are you a member? We need people like you on board to drive these ideas forward.Would you like to come to the next meeting and expand your thoughts.

Sorry F5 but I live in NZ.
Can try to help out with ideas and I do my bit by buying shirts and sending a donation through when an account is up and running.
Follow the threads and Twitter so don,t miss much.
Keep up the good work it is good to see some positive people doing something for the club.
You can send me a crate of the Amber Ribbon Ale once it is in production! :)

#83 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Just a quick update.

We've had a few meetings, formed a committee, lots of ideas, lots of support. Our membership is growing (about 40), the funds are modest, but growing. We aim to have a launch event in the near future.

We are building a website, we have an email address, looking into social media networks.

There's still lots to do, but we are making great progress.

Come and join us, we'll be at all future home games, pick up an application form and be part of the Amber Ribbon.

#84 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Just a quick update.
We've had a few meetings, formed a committee, lots of ideas, lots of support. Our membership is growing (about 40), the funds are modest, but growing. We aim to have a launch event in the near future.
We are building a website, we have an email address, looking into social media networks.
There's still lots to do, but we are making great progress.

Come and join us, we'll be at all future home games, pick up an application form and be part of the Amber Ribbon.

My son plays for Batley Boys and every year he gets a hoodie with embroidered badge and this year his initials on. Its really top quality and even after a year still retains its size and quality.

Have you considered getting a few made, I'd certainly have one. If the club would let you use the rams logo (which they might not) and then with the amber ribbon perhaps underneath or on the arm or something it would give you a presence at games, and a club feel which would be a good thing I think.

Anyway, his coaches username on these forums is PKK might be worth asking the price and where he gets them etc. If he's no longer on here let me know and Ill give him a ring.

img5163l.jpg

Edited by funkmaster flex, 11 April 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#85 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Amber Ribbon

Here are a few simple ideas which could help the club as they seemingly can't market themselves out of a paper bag.

Hand out Lotto forms or Squadbuilder forms at the next home game. These are practically free money for the club on a long term basis, exactly the sort of income they need. The fisrt £5000 winner has been posted on the website, but again no publicity.

See if the club will allow you to sell tickets for 1973 dinner or at least hand out some flyers with Lotto.

Don't know how you are doing financially, but make a donation to Squadbuilder (even if its only £100) and publicise it. At least people will become more aware of what you are doing and seeing you are making a difference. You could even sponsor a player for publicity and a bit of focus. Am sure you are cracking on but letting people know what you are doing is haf the battle. I can write articles for you if you need any help in that respect, as I can do it at home aroudn the rest of my commitments.

I would really like to be more involved but have family, my own business to run as well as coaching and refereeing my son's rugby team and a few other commitments, so cannot commit to attend meetings  etc..

P.S. With due respect to FF, I would hang fire on merchandise, as you have to pay upfront and sell a reasonable amount before you make any money and there is the risk of lsoing money. Suggest that is for later on.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 04 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#86 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the interest and ideas. We are working hard to become more established and are making steady, if frustratingly slow, progress. For example, you wouldn't believe the hoops we have had to jump through just to open a bank account in the name of Amber Ribbon!

I understand that you, and lots of other people are busy, it's hard to find time in an already full diary.

We fully intend to become more involved as and when we can, but for now have set ourselves some priorities. We are desperate to launch a website, which would open the organisation to the world, but we can't seem to find anyone with the skills and time to help.

We want to start a direct debit contribution system to raise funds like other similar organisations, and have told members that this can be done. However, many of the people who joined AR are stalwart supporters of the club, and already contribute through Squadbuilder and Drema, we don't want to appear to be yet another begging bowl.

We need more committee members, there are five of us at the moment, two of those are volunteer turnstile operators, which makes pre-match stuff difficult.

I understand and share your frustration. We were fortunate enough to have a founder member of BISSA (Batley) at one of our meetings. He told of the slow, frustrating start they had. They now generate thousands for their club.

We will grow, we will do more, we just need a bit more help and a bit more time.

#87 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

I've only been on the BISSA committee for a couple of years, so not the best person to comment on the origins of the group and how things were progressed, but sounds like you guys need just a little exposure.

Obviously, people have time and availability committments, but how about some kind of small and simple function, i.e. Quiz night, Race night, etc. Get it plastered over the forum, the ground on match day, Facebook, Twitter, your website if you've got to that stage. You've got some great bar facilities at Dewsbury, and surely if the club knew you were using them to make money for players/fundraising for them, they would let you use it for nothing.They'd obviously make a profit from bar sales too.

There's alot to be said about visibility, and people getting to know who the Amber Ribbon are, the Committee so far, and your objectives, would surely only help in terms of attracting both new members and committee.  

#88 Ramireztheram

Ramireztheram
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yes it does all seem to have spluttered to a halt, which is a shame really. I was hoping to see by now that the AR had in place a simple website by now. I would like to make a couple of suggestions which might help to bridge the gap until the AR as a working website.

1st set up a Twitter account and set one of the committee members or just somebody who knows the interface well to post on it on a regular basis. If there’s no AR news at the time make some trivia up to keep the account active.

2nd Use the power of blogging and start a Wordpress or other blog site up. They have functions, which allow images and attachments to be embedded into blog posts. I’m aware it’s not a dedicated website but it’s a beginning. Also with Wordpress the interface is high customisable.

3rd Does the group have a working page on facebook I know of a lot of people who use that site on a daily basis. If so why is it not more promoted on the hand out leaflets.

4Th The AR has to embrace that it requires a person with an inside out knowledge of webpages blogs and social media. Why as there not been a active search made for such a person. Am sure within the ranks of the Ram’s supporters there’s bound to be a person with that knowledge. Does anybody have any ideas?

5th There’s a function of this very forum that allows people to add a signature to every post they make. Why don’t you get somebody to make up a signature with details of the AR and ask people to add it to their forum profile, that way every time they post they also promote the group.

#89 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hmmm, wasn't the original intent of this to replace Squadbuilder in some way, history and many other clubs show that if you can promise to raise funds purely for squadbuilding (BISSA, HISSA, LISA, BISA etc, etc) then fans will actually dig deep as they will be able to see immediate results (players signed. players retained) but forming an association just to give money direct to the club to spend as they see fit just doesn't work as effective, thats why so many official supporters clubs have gone to the wall, even Batleys almost folded a couple of month ago.

Seriously need to rethink your main strategy here folks.

#90 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

As a matter of interest I have yet to see an application form or anything similar for subscriptions etc to AR. I have missed two home matches so maybe their distribution was limited to those.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#91 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

I agree with almost everything you all say. We'd love a website, a twitter account, a facebook presence. Unfortunately none of us on the committee have the necessary skills required. We have put out an appeal to all members asking for anyone with appropriate skills to come and help. So far nobody has come forward.

We'd love to be more pro-active, but need more committee members. Especially those with IT/network skills

It was never the intention that the AR replace squad-builder, indeed it was on advice from similar organisations that we have tried to be seen as independent. They told of problems arising when the "club" became too involved in how monies were spent. We fully intend to donate to squad-builder, along with other projects, but how this money will be spent will be decided by the members.

BSJ we have just started using the new AR booth at home games, anyone wanting an application can get one there.

We're hoping to get a function up and running soon.

Believe me, I/we are as keen to get this moving forward as anyone. It's not ideas we need, we have bucket loads of them, it's people with skills to put those ideas into action.

Nil Desperandum! We are making progress, not as quickly as we'd like, but still progressing.

Charlie.

#92 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Nick,

If it's not confidential, could you tell me how many cttee members BISSA have?

#93 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Flying 5

I will happily set you up a website, rolling cost would be £5.50 per month. I will pay upfront fees as a kind donation on my part.

Once set up I could maintain it temporarily until someone was taught to take over from me - Its really not difficult and I could easily have someone ready within a couple of hours.

If you are interested let me know.

Breakdown of cost would be as follows:

I would pay for your domain name and first months fees, I would need either the following months payment (£5.50 which would be a rolling monthly amount) Or you could opt to pay the year upfront.

FF

Edited by funkmaster flex, 08 May 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#94 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks FF, I really appreciate your offer. We have a cttee meeting tonight, I will raise it there.

Thanks again.

Charlie.

#95 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks FF, I really appreciate your offer. We have a cttee meeting tonight, I will raise it there.

Thanks again.

Charlie.

Just to add, the package you would have:

- Website doman. For example www.amberribbon.co.uk

- Free website builder so you can constantly update the website. Its a really professional outfit and look.

- Unlimited amount of pages on the website.

- 28,000 stock photographs or use your own.

- 1000 email addresses - For example Flying5@Amberribbon.co.uk

- 50GB storage space (which is more than enough, more than you'll ever need in fact)

- 1000GB of bandwidth which is enough for around 50,000 visitors per day.

- SSL certificate

- 100% uptime.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 08 May 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#96 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Nick,
If it's not confidential, could you tell me how many cttee members BISSA have?

Hi F5,

We have 10 committee members at BISSA, which is the maximum number our constitution allows. Each committee member has to stand for re-election at the AGM each year.

It seems to be the ideal number really to share the workload out. We are lucky too in that a couple of the commitee members are retired so can take on some additional bits and bats.

Just give me a shout if there's anything else I can do to help info wise.

#97 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I agree with almost everything you all say. We'd love a website, a twitter account, a facebook presence. Unfortunately none of us on the committee have the necessary skills required. We have put out an appeal to all members asking for anyone with appropriate skills to come and help. So far nobody has come forward.

We'd love to be more pro-active, but need more committee members. Especially those with IT/network skills

It was never the intention that the AR replace squad-builder, indeed it was on advice from similar organisations that we have tried to be seen as independent. They told of problems arising when the "club" became too involved in how monies were spent. We fully intend to donate to squad-builder, along with other projects, but how this money will be spent will be decided by the members.

BSJ we have just started using the new AR booth at home games, anyone wanting an application can get one there.

We're hoping to get a function up and running soon.

Believe me, I/we are as keen to get this moving forward as anyone. It's not ideas we need, we have bucket loads of them, it's people with skills to put those ideas into action.

Nil Desperandum! We are making progress, not as quickly as we'd like, but still progressing.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie

Tom posted  links to Twitter and Facebook a few weeks back.

I don't do Facebook but I know there are 5 followers on the Twitter page but as yet no tweets.Obviously the quicker we can get some info out on both forums,the quicker we can get more followers and more publicity.

For myself I can't get to games so having the ability to get info and application forms online etc is crucial.

Hopefully thats not too far away if FF is willing to help out with initial set up.

Keep up the good work.

#98 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Can confirm that £5.50 is pretty good value, I pay £30 per a mum for hosting and domain.

#99 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Can confirm that £5.50 is pretty good value, I pay £30 per a mum for hosting and domain.

If someone is running a small site, then you can get hosting for around £3 per month, but the page numbers are limited as is the disk space (usually to around 15). And for a website which I expect will be full of photographs, match reports etc then space can fill up really quickly.

The difference in £2 gives so much more in terms of flexibility and 'future proofing' The reality is, a website will complete functionality will cost the AR about 18p per day.

As an alternative, I would be happy to create a blog (which is free) and then register a domain (a couple of quid which I'm happy to pay) blogs are fantastic, but they do lack the same functionality and professionalism of a website. For instance, blogs are very much page specific. By that I mean you could have a front page, and link to another page. But linking to a third, fourth etc gets awkward.

I think ultimately you should ask yourself what you want.

If you want a simple site where you can read your constitution, look at application forms, match reports and photographs and read the minutes of your meets then a blog would certainly suffice. I have run a blog for years and through it have had over a quarter of a million visitors. But I have found myself been limited by functionality many times. I am currently working on a project which will go live at the end of June, whereby there has been a complete shift to a hosted, domain because of the restraints I have experienced. The main issue for me has been multi layers like I already touched on. On a blog everything stems from the home page and goes as far as one page, it can go further but not as easily or quick as a website. Believe it or not, a website is far easier for someone of low tech experience to run than a blog.

But if you want a professional looking website, where you can fill it with as much as you like, from match reports, to FAQ's to ultimately your own shop and even have a facility where people can donate directly through your website to paypal, a place where you all have your own email addresses and even (if you wanted) your own forum, or a direct embedded link to this forum (if it would be allowed) then a website is the way to go.

I could put you a blog together within a day or so, and a website over say 2 - 3 days.

#100 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

FF

we discussed your kind offer at last nights' meeting. We'd be very grateful for your help on this. Thank you.

I'm not sure this is the right place to be discussing the details, I'll private message you my e-mail address and we'll take it from there.

Nick

thanks for the info. Could you let me have a direct contact with BISSA cttee member, I have something I'd like to discuss.

Crab

At last nights meeting we finally grasped the thorny issue of fb & twitter. We on the cttee don't have the appropriate skills (there were four of us and I guess our aggregate age was 200+ !)  but we are working on this. Tom has offered to help, so we're in good hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users