Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Amber Ribbon

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#141 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Can anyone explain why there is a page dedicated to the Batley club, with several sly digs and sarky comments included?

Is this on the AR site? Could you please put the link on so I can see?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#142 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

http://www.amberribb...y-bulldogs.html

Although cant argue with the tannoy system part!

#143 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

I don't think anyone can argue with the tannoy system part, but apart from that it's uncalled for a little bit.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#144 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

It's just a bit of harmless fun obviously written with great affection. It must be because for many of the sections you only have to remove Batley and insert any other club of your choice, Dewsbury being particularly apt. Still, if only our food, junior set up and ground were as good as Dewsbury's!

#145 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I think it's quite amusing in terms of the content but just not sure the AR website is an appropriate place for that type of thing if they are looking for serious credibility. Just my opinion though and the last ill say on the matter.

#146 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think it's quite amusing in terms of the content but just not sure the AR website is an appropriate place for that type of thing if they are looking for serious credibility. Just my opinion though and the last ill say on the matter.

Despite my previous post Nick, I take your point. It is ok from a non official source, but I do think it sends out the wrong message. It gives a rather amatuerish impression of what I am sure the members would like to be an effective and professional organisation.

#147 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks DD, you've summed up there what I was trying to say far more eloquently.

#148 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

He didn't need to know; he's not one of our followers.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#149 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Can anyone explain why there is a page dedicated to the Batley club, with several sly digs and sarky comments included?

Yes I'm aware there is a spoof site mocking Dewsbury, which I suspect has been created by an independent Batley fan. However that person/s have done this independently. It doesn't feature on the club official site or the BISSA one and never will.

All this does is make the AR look like a bit of a joke with little credibility, which I suspect is the total opposite of your objectives as a supposedly serious fundraising organisation. If you feel that the best way to attract members is to mock a rival club then you really need to have a good think about what your doing. Surely you can think of much worthier initiatives to attract support. If not then you need to look at finding a better committee.

This isn't the comments of a defensive batley fan. I'm just shocked that an actual affiliated organisation would consider this appropriate. Funny for Rams fans more than likely, but hardly representative of an organisation with a serious and professional intent.

Shame really as the rest of the website looks great.

There is an article on Batley as part of the away games part of the site. Eventually there will be information on all grounds.
The theme of the website is that it is non generic and independent. I have tried to sway away from the typical, almost predictable nature of most rugby/sport websites by offering a different, humorous and common take on things.

I believe that fans of rugby league have excellent banter, and that is the tone in which the article was written.
The 'digs' are nothing more than delicate nudges and the article sings loudly the praises. Typically you have latched on to what you don't like whilst completely ignoring the praise aimed at the club.

You need to relax a little and recognise that it is a fans website made by fans, for fans. With banter pivotal to the game day experience, with Batley being our adversaries and with a long history between the clubs, I think the article encompasses the relationship and hones in on game day hostilities edged with a smile.

Relax :)

NB: If you or anyone else would like to add to the website the AR would be grateful.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 23 May 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#150 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yes I'm aware there is a spoof site mocking Dewsbury, which I suspect has been created by an independent Batley fan. However that person/s have done this independently. It doesn't feature on the club official site or the BISSA one and never will.

All this does is make the AR look like a bit of a joke with little credibility, which I suspect is the total opposite of your objectives as a supposedly serious fundraising organisation. If you feel that the best way to attract members is to mock a rival club then you really need to have a good think about what your doing. Surely you can think of much worthier initiatives to attract support. If not then you need to look at finding a better committee.

This isn't the comments of a defensive batley fan. I'm just shocked that an actual affiliated organisation would consider this appropriate. Funny for Rams fans more than likely, but hardly representative of an organisation with a serious and professional intent.

Shame really as the rest of the website looks great.

Nick,

It was not and is not ever our intention to offend. The piece was meant as a bit of banter, no foul language was used, nothing other than a bit of mickey taking. I have heard much, much worse on the terraces. Here it is called banter and we often boast of it's humour to other sports. 

One of the aim's of the site was/is to be proactive with members, indeed to invite them to be contributors. The comments on the Batley's away ground was merely to show that you don't need to be a Guardian journalist to take part. Within the boundaries of decency,without being personally insulting it can be fun.

If the site has offended you I am sorry it was only meant as a bit of fun.

#151 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Nick,

It was not and is not ever our intention to offend. The piece was meant as a bit of banter, no foul language was used, nothing other than a bit of mickey taking. I have heard much, much worse on the terraces. Here it is called banter and we often boast of it's humour to other sports. 

One of the aim's of the site was/is to be proactive with members, indeed to invite them to be contributors. The comments on the Batley's away ground was merely to show that you don't need to be a Guardian journalist to take part. Within the boundaries of decency,without being personally insulting it can be fun.

If the site has offended you I am sorry it was only meant as a bit of fun.

I think you are missing the point. I don't think it is offensive, and as I stated, comes across as slightly affectionate with the odd little mickey take. However, I am not sure that that is the image that the AR is trying to project. Unfortunately it is by association, reflecting the views of the AR.

#152 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think you are missing the point. I don't think it is offensive, and as I stated, comes across as slightly affectionate with the odd little mickey take. However, I am not sure that that is the image that the AR is trying to project. Unfortunately it is by association, reflecting the views of the AR.

From what I gather the AR is attempting to represent the fans, their humility and their humour whilst encompassing everything we believe in and everything that comes with our sport.

I believe fans want something fresh and original, not some generic mishmash fresh out of Compton.

Following on from earlier comments I have messed about with the CSS and the website should now fit on even the cheapest of monitors ;)

Edited by funkmaster flex, 23 May 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#153 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I think you're right Nick. It demeans the cause in my view.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#154 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think you're right Nick. It demeans the cause in my view.

Edited

Edited by funkmaster flex, 23 May 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#155 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

To be fair BSJ ever since the invent of the AR you've just criticised it at every stage.

If it demeans your view then how about you take up one of the numerous calls of offering to help?

I'm also a subscriber FF, if that makes it any better.

:onthequiet:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#156 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm also a subscriber FF, if that makes it any better.

:onthequiet:

Then I apologise ;)

Seriously though BSJ , I am handing the website over this week. It really does need people to help out if you can find the time, no matter how little.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 23 May 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#157 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

I might let you off then ;)

Seriously though BSJ , I am handing the website over this week. It really does need people to help out if you can find the time, no matter how little.

I know FF, but I actually "run" another smaller web site and find that a struggle so couldn't do this one the justice it deserves.

I don't criticise BTW, just constructively comment, as I have to tell my wife all of the time.

:hunter:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#158 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

I know FF, but I actually "run" another smaller web site and find that a struggle so couldn't do this one the justice it deserves.

I don't criticise BTW, just constructively comment, as I have to tell my wife all of the time.

:hunter:

I appreciate that mate, I guess the words 'knee' and 'Jerk' apply to my comment ;)

Thanks for your support.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 23 May 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#159 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

It's something that is sung in the south stand on game day, "she wore an amber ribbon, she wore it for her lover and he played for Dewsbury...... before signing for Fev :lol: "

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#160 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hmmm to think I stayed off this topic out of respect for what the rams were trying to achieve (with open support of BISSA)

Might have to rethink this position

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users