Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge banned - officially

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

The RFL have today followed the lead of the RLIF and banned the shoulder charge with immediate effect.

Why do we always have to let the Aussies decide everything about our game?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

A sad day for our great spectator sport

#3 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Pathetic, they will ban all contact above the waist next. Brett will be gutted as he liked getting the shoulder in!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sonny Bill picked the wrong time to come back !! Fans love tries and hits , look how many people watch Burgess' hit on Moi Moi on YouTube . A good hit spurs on his his team , shows physical dominance of an opponent and gets the crowd involved . You can attack in defence as well as with the ball .No one condones thuggery and head contact , but to throw the baby out with the bath water is a crying shame and a huge overreaction . Rugby league lite . Our game just became a bit less intense and enjoyable .

Edited by DavidM, 20 February 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#5 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Sonny Bill picked the wrong time to come back !! Fans love tries and hits , look how many people watch Burgess' hit on Moi Moi on YouTube . A good hit spurs on his his team , shows physical dominance of an opponent and gets the crowd involved . You can attack in defence as well as with the ball .No one condones thuggery and head contact , but to throw the baby out with the bath water is a crying shame and a huge overreaction . Rugby league lite . Our game just became a bit less intense and enjoyable .

I honestly cant see the issue with a good hard shoulder charge - provided you don't make contact with the head then what is the issue. Getting off the line quicker than your opponent and smashing him in the chest with your shoulder is what our game is all about - baffles me the men in charge of this game, next you know they will have us wearing shoulder pads and helmets !!!!!

#6 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I thought rugby was for hard men? Might as well make it touch rugby

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

The men in charge of the game have a nice office overlooking downtown Sydney ...

#8 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I agree with it being banned. Very dangerous, how many times has someone been knocked out or had a broken jaw from a shoulder charge? Quite a few.
Its banned in youth rugby league right up until open age. Every player should be able to tackle properly without using a shoulder charge.. Yea it brings a bit of excitement to the game but i would rather our players be safe.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

No one condones contact to the head or restrictions in junior footy , but you get serious injuries and dangerous challenges with stiff arms and high tackles... Poor timing and illegality doesnt equate to no arms .There was nothing wrong with just punishing head contact however the challenge is made . A well contacted shoulder to shoulder hit or hit to the ball carrying area has gone with the wind now because of a small number of high profile incidents . Overreaction as political correctness finally creeps into our game . Noone listens to the players ...

Edited by DavidM, 20 February 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#10 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I agree with it being banned. Very dangerous, how many times has someone been knocked out or had a broken jaw from a shoulder charge? Quite a few.
Its banned in youth rugby league right up until open age. Every player should be able to tackle properly without using a shoulder charge.. Yea it brings a bit of excitement to the game but i would rather our players be safe.

#11 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

No one condones contact to the head or restrictions in junior footy , but you get serious injuries and dangerous challenges with stiff arms and high tackles... Poor timing and illegality doesnt equate to no arms .There was nothing wrong with just punishing head contact however the challenge is made . A well contacted shoulder to shoulder hit or hit to the ball carrying area has gone with the wind now because of a small number of high profile incidents . Overreaction as political correctness finally creeps into our game . Noone listens to the players ...

I do agree with what you say Dave but i just think if my U11's can tackle properly then surely adults can...I dont see the need for a shoulder charge to be honest. Im sure in training,professional or amateur teams dont practise the shoulder charge. I dont know why people are so bothered. Thats my opinion anyway

#12 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Also...how many times has a player rushed out of the defensive line and missed a tackle because he was trying a shoulder charge? and i think there is more chance of injuring yourself using it too.

#13 TOWN TILL I DIE

TOWN TILL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Also...how many times has a player rushed out of the defensive line and missed a tackle because he was trying a shoulder charge?

Sound familiar that one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users