Britain London ethnic minority census white

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
271 replies to this topic

#221 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

You have religion to thank for that.

Funnily enough the Christian church help reintroduce a lot of Roman culture. The church became the enemy of science from Copernicus onwards but before that they were anything but.

#222 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ever heard of the dark ages? Religion did much to suppress technological, political and intellectual advances. It isn't in their interest to have their followers question the teachings of their holy leaders and they also can't have advances in the understanding of the universe that goes against their doctrine. It is no coincidence that the period Wolford mentioned as being one that saw a decrease in the standard of living coincides with the rise of Christianity.
Fides invicta triumphat

#223 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Ever heard of the dark ages? Religion did much to suppress technological, political and intellectual advances. It isn't in their interest to have their followers question the teachings of their holy leaders and they also can't have advances in the understanding of the universe that goes against their doctrine. It is no coincidence that the period Wolford mentioned as being one that saw a decrease in the standard of living coincides with the rise of Christianity.

Ever heard of the dark ages twentyfirst century? Religion did is doing much to suppress technological, political and intellectual advances. It isn't in their interest to have their followers question the teachings of their holy leaders and they also can't have advances in the understanding of the universe that goes against their doctrine. It is no coincidence that the period Wolford mentioned as being one that saw a decrease in the standard of living coincides with the rise of Christianity Fundamental Islam.

Deja Vu.
<_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#224 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Ever heard of the dark ages twentyfirst century? Religion did is doing much to suppress technological, political and intellectual advances. It isn't in their interest to have their followers question the teachings of their holy leaders and they also can't have advances in the understanding of the universe that goes against their doctrine. It is no coincidence that the period Wolford mentioned as being one that saw a decrease in the standard of living coincides with the rise of Christianity Fundamental Islam.

Deja Vu.
<_<

I agree, Christianity isn't alone in this.
Fides invicta triumphat

#225 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I agree, Christianity isn't alone in this.

The difference being, of course, that Christianity has always been at the heart of the power structures of Britain, and it has been used to justify, and impose, all manner of things - not Hinduism, not Judaism, and not Islam. In fact, the introduction of believers of other faiths does kind of undermine the legitimacy of 'the one true faith' as the state religion (doing us all a favour). ;)
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#226 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ever heard of the dark ages?

Yes, they were when the Roman empire collapsed, nothing to do with religion.

Religion did much to suppress technological, political and intellectual advances. It isn't in their interest to have their followers question the teachings of their holy leaders and they also can't have advances in the understanding of the universe that goes against their doctrine. It is no coincidence that the period Wolford mentioned as being one that saw a decrease in the standard of living coincides with the rise of Christianity.

Wrong, the Romano-Britons were Christian, the early Anglo-Saxons were Pagan. The Dark ages began with the replacement of Christianity with Paganism.

You forget that science didn't challenge religion at this point. Scientists tended to be religious men as they were the educated class.

#227 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,610 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

True

• Posted Image
  • Coach
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:45 AM
Best of luck in using this forum to be airing those views. Whenever I do, I get assailed and called borderline racist, generally by people who have comfortable middle class lifestyles and live in leafy suburbs. The nearest they get to multiculturalism is reading about it in the paper.

then why did you say this?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#228 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

By inference from their previous posts. I'm happy to be corrected.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#229 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Scientists tended to be religious men as they were the educated class.

The history of scientific discovery is littered with men who observed something groundbreaking and either didn't believe their observation or were surpressed for doing so because it contradicted the religious orthodoxy.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#230 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

The history of scientific discovery is littered with men who observed something groundbreaking and either didn't believe their observation or were surpressed for doing so because it contradicted the religious orthodoxy.

True but not in the dark ages. The break between religion and science didn't happen until Copernicus.

#231 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

what are those principles and values? I thought we had laws that we have to obey

We do but immigrants can simply choose to ignore them. We have laws against genital mutilation yet thousands of girls in this country are so treated and there has, to date, not been one single attempt at a prosecution.

Similarly known terrorists are not handed over to the police rather "dealt with in the community" whatever that means.

I have no problem with immigrants if they also agree to play a full part in our society. Some groups do and some very conspicuously do not.

I lived in Germany for a year. We made every effort to learn the language, cultivate German friends and obeyed the law even when it differed from what we were used to.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect this.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#232 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

We do but immigrants can simply choose to ignore them. We have laws against genital mutilation yet thousands of girls in this country are so treated and there has, to date, not been one single attempt at a prosecution.

Similarly known terrorists are not handed over to the police rather "dealt with in the community" whatever that means.

I have no problem with immigrants if they also agree to play a full part in our society. Some groups do and some very conspicuously do not.

I lived in Germany for a year. We made every effort to learn the language, cultivate German friends and obeyed the law even when it differed from what we were used to.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect this.

People break the law: enforcing it is down to detection, proof and prosecution. If it isn't detected what are you going to do? This applies to all law breaking.Don't tell me let me guess. 'They' are treated leniently. As for terrorists: what? For a start many of the people involved in terrorists acts 7/7 for instance were British. If what you say is true how come so many of them if not all were caught?

Does the genital mutilation you mention also apply to jewish boys?

Lots of people choose to ignore he law you see it every day. It costs peoples' liveson a regular basis.

which immigrant groups do you approve of? Which ones don't you approve of?

You use the term 'immigrants' wthout qualification: does that man all groups of immigrants re the same?

Which immigrants don't play a part in our society? I see little evidence of this. People of all backgrounds in the multicultural city that I live in seem to b going about tir daily lives th same as anybody else.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 March 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Keeping it local

#233 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Does the genital mutilation you mention also apply to jewish boys?

As I am sure you know, there is no comparison between Jewish circumcision of boys and "female circumcision". One is far, far more damaging than the other.

#234 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

As I am sure you know, there is no comparison between Jewish circumcision of boys and "female circumcision". One is far, far more damaging than the other.

it isn't 'as bad', but that doesn't justify it, especially considering what the consequences can be. It's till genital mutiltion for no reason that is beneficial to the child.
Keeping it local

#235 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

it isn't 'as bad', but that doesn't justify it, especially considering what the consequences can be. It's till genital mutiltion for no reason that is beneficial to the child.

Hardly in the same league mate. Ear piercing could be described as body mutilation but it isn't remotely the same. And arguing that boys having their bell end lopped off is the same as mutilating a girls genitalia - with the sole purpose of denying sexual pleasure- then with respect, you need to get a grip.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#236 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hardly in the same league mate. Ear piercing could be described as body mutilation but it isn't remotely the same. And arguing that boys having their bell end lopped off is the same as mutilating a girls genitalia - with the sole purpose of denying sexual pleasure- then with respect, you need to get a grip.

I didn't say it was 'the same'

I said just because it wasn't 'as bad' it didn't make it ok
http://hpq.sagepub.c...t/7/3/329.short

You don't need me to etll you what my thoughts on female circumcision are.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 March 2013 - 02:06 PM.

Keeping it local

#237 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't think it justifies it but the degree of "mutilation" ought to have an impact on whether it is a crime or not.

#238 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I don't think it justifies it but the degree of "mutilation" ought to have an impact on whether it is a crime or not.

so what degree is accpeptable?
Keeping it local

#239 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

so what degree is accpeptable?

The impact on the life of the child determines that. Not having a clitoris is a big deal not having a foreskin isn't.

#240 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I didn't say it was 'the same'

I said just because it wasn't 'as bad' it didn't make it ok
http://hpq.sagepub.c...t/7/3/329.short

You don't need me to etll you what my thoughts on female circumcision are.

But you can't just lump things together like that. Mutilation of girls genitals is an unacceptable practice - end of story. It doesn't make it less so because someone else does a differing practice - which as NS points out, is hardly life changing.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users