Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#241 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Three potential stars of Rugby League World Cup 2013 were put through their paces by two big names from the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) at Virgin Active in Salford Quays this week.

Scotland full-back Brett Carter, Wales forward Jordan James and Ireland forward Stuart Fielden joined UFC stars Ross Pearson and Mike Wilkinson for a joint training session, where the three international Rugby League stars completed an intense, five-minute UFC warm-up drill.

And Workington and Scotland star Carter admits he found the going tough.

“It was just a five-minute session, but it certainly felt longer than that,” he said.

“It’s intense, a very hard sport to be involved with and it definitely takes it out of you. I was still catching my breath for a while afterwards.

“I don’t think it’s for me, but a lot of the techniques are adaptable to Rugby League, and it’d certainly help you out if you were involved in it.

“The fighters dominate on the floor and get their head in tight, and I can relate to that as a Rugby League player.

“He showed me a few techniques about slowing your opponent down, and I think I might try a few of them out in future matches.”

Carter’s Welsh counterpart James was also left impressed by the levels of intensity demonstrated by UFC fighters Pearson and Wilkinson.

“You can see what these guys put themselves through and they are elite athletes just like us,” he said.

“We’d get sent off for striking but everybody knows there’s much more to UFC than that.

“They’re small guys but they know how to use their weight. They’re fast too and they’d probably run rings around me.

“UFC is also fought in weight categories so they have to be a certain weight to make the fights, whereas in Rugby League you want to be as big, strong and fast as you can be.

“But I definitely think the two sports can learn a lot from each other.”

James, Carter and Fielden then hosted a short Rugby League skills session, and demonstrated the techniques used to effect a tackle in a match situation.

“Before the session, I knew that some Rugby League clubs used MMA into their team training, but it was interesting to hear how much wrestling and conditioning is involved,” said Pearson, who says he will be backing England at Rugby League World Cup 2013.

“Brett, Jordan and Stuart were all pretty impressive, they picked up what we were showing them quickly, and it was good to show them just how tiring a five-minute round can be in UFC.

“Mike and I really enjoyed today’s session and it felt great being in Manchester and knowing that I’ll be here in a couple of months to co-headline UFC Manchester and fight in front of British fans.”

#242 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

DugSWRLgan, have or are the RLWC 13 team done an event in Cardiff similar to what they are doing in Trafalgar Square next Friday?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#243 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

DugSWRLgan, have or are the RLWC 13 team done an event in Cardiff similar to what they are doing in Trafalgar Square next Friday?

I live in Cardiff, and nope not really.

The World Cup trophy was available for all to see at a local rugby union club. The club itself wasn't even open so the trophy was taken to nearby pitches. The local league team were present around 20-30 in all plus about 10 other neutrals including a Wigan supporting family. Many passing joggers and cyclists gave slightly bemused and interested looks.

In honesty I was disappointed in the event somewhat. I don't know what Cardiff Soartans RL did to promote the event but in my opinion it could have done a lot more to promote the World Cup. A more city central location would have been ideal, having the Demons (cardiff a other RL club) present would have also helped as well.

There were no media present other than Ian Golden of WRL. No adveisment in the local papers that I was aware of.

A week later Wales RU star Alun Wyn Jones was in my local Asda signing Lions tour DVDs, the turnout? HUGE!

Edited by welshmagpie, 16 August 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#244 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Unfortunately the organisers have decided promoting the Cardiff game in a 74500 stadium to the 350,000 people who live in Cardiff (and the other 500,000 who live within an hours drive) is pointless.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#245 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Unfortunately the organisers have decided promoting the Cardiff game in a 74500 stadium to the 350,000 people who live in Cardiff (and the other 500,000 who live within an hours drive) is pointless.

Do you know this for a fact JB? I hope the organisers do something by Octobers start I.e. ads in the South Wales echo, billboards, bust stops etc.

#246 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Any news on this big announcement that was supposed to be taking place a few weeks/months ago?

#247 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Any news on this big announcement that was supposed to be taking place a few weeks/months ago?

Last I heared it was given a tentative date of Sept 24th.

#248 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Do you know this for a fact JB? I hope the organisers do something by Octobers start I.e. ads in the South Wales echo, billboards, bust stops etc.

well I was being facetious to a degree but I would have hoped to have seen something of substance by now. The Bristol mob have done more than we've seen in Cardiff!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#249 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I wonder when Sally Bolton and RLWC are going to start their "big push" on ticket sales, especially in Cardiff and surrounds?!

#250 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

well I was being facetious to a degree but I would have hoped to have seen something of substance by now. The Bristol mob have done more than we've seen in Cardiff!

I hope so; they should be aiming to start the competition off with a bang in Cardiff and shouldn't be relying on the English, especially the traditional fan base to fill the stadium. I may email them to see what they'll do to promote the game...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#251 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Its due for release on Sept 24th.

#252 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Its due for release on Sept 24th.

Do you know anything about a big push in Cardiff/South Wales for the World Cup?

#253 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

No sorry. I do know that the Welsh Assembly have been v supportive of WRL, but as to promotional stuff I don't know.

#254 Intake Don

Intake Don
  • Facebook
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Is the big announcement about Wales or the World cup in general?

#255 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Is the big announcement about Wales or the World cup in general?

It has been a long wait. It had better be good.

#256 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Wales.

#257 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

South Wales Grand Finals Day a success

TORFAEN TIGERS 24 VALLEY COUGARS 18

Over 1,000 people attended Rugby League Grand Finals day in South Wales at a sun-drenched Taff’s Well on Sunday, the culmination of which saw Torfaen Tigers take their first ever senior title, beating Valley Cougars 24-18 in a see-saw match.

It was the fifth final of the day in Wales Rugby League’s biggest ever club finals day event.

The Cougars from Treharris, attacked from the off after Torfaen made a handling error from kick-off and Scott Britain looked to ground in the first minute but dropped the ball while under pressure.

However after being awarded a penalty, the Cougars did take the lead in the second minute when Matthew Powell scored in the corner. Paul Emmanuelli missed the kick.

The second try came on five minutes when Gareth Way brilliantly laid off to Darryl Carter who scored under the sticks. Emmanuelli converted to make the score 10-0.

Torfaen hit back on 16 minutes after Ryan Bates found a gap in the Cougars defence and ran through unchallenged. Mike Davies converted to bring the score back to 10-6.

And four minutes later, man of the match Bates added his and Torfaen’s second to level things up. Davies’ second goal took them into a 12-10 lead.

Cougars regained the advantage five minutes before the interval when Danyl Davies scored in the corner. Emmanuelli’s kick was wide.

Torfaen got back into the lead eight minutes into the second half when Lee Jones scored in the corner, but with the conversion missed, the score was just 16-14 to the Tigers.

But six minutes later, the pendulum swung back in Cougars’ way when Dafydd Hellard grounded, again a try in the corner and again followed by a missed conversion. 18-16 to the men from Treharris.

Cougars’ Danyl Davies was denied a second try thanks to a forward pass, which could have been a hammer blow for Torfaen.

And there was drama at the other end with just three minutes to go when Jordan Peak had a potential winner ruled out for a forward pass.

But Torfaen weren’t to be denied. With the game into added on time, Luke Brown grounded under the sticks and Mike Davies converted before adding a penalty in the last second to seal things.

UNDER 13s FINAL

NEATH AND DISTRICT SCORPIONS 36 CARDIFF SPARTANS 20

Neath and District Scorpions won the first final of the day, the under 13s encounter, in a competitive match against Cardiff Spartans.

The final score was 36-20 but the youngsters from the capital made the Scorpions’ youngest outfit fight all the way.

Neath went into a 14-0 lead after scores from Alex McNamara, Kurt Davies and Kingsley Morgan.

but quick tries from Cardiff’s Joseph Melhuish and Karling Claridge brought the score back to 14-10.

Tries from Brad Roderick and Ben Lukes further extended the score to 26-10 before Claridge and then Connor Brookes went over for Cardiff to give them further hope with the score now at 26-20.

However the West Wales side were too strong in the end and two further tries sealed the win.

UNDER 14s FINAL

ABER VALLEY WOLVES 36 PENALLTA STORM 10

The Wolves from Senghenydd took their first of two trophies after beating Penallta Storm 36-10 in a Caerphilly County Borough derby for the Welsh under 14s Final.

The final score was 36-10 and the result was never in doubt after the Wolves built up a sturdy 26-0 lead.

Ryan Edmunds and Ross Williams led the way with a brace of touchdowns apiece with William Fishlock, Luke Yendle and Brendan Wiegold also crossing. Lewis Blakely kicked four conversions.

Storm gave themselves some respect with two second half tries from Owen Davies, one of them being the last of the game showing their refusal to give up.

UNDER 15s FINAL

ABER VALLEY WOLVES 38 BRIDGEND BLUE BULLS 28

It wasn’t quite as easy for the Wolves in the under 15s final as it took two tries at the death to see off Bridgend Blue Bulls.

The Senghenydd side built up a 24-10 lead at the interval but the plucky Bridgend side fought back and dramatics saw the score at 28-all with just five minutes left on the clock.

Connor Weigold completed his hat-trick to finally seal the Wolves win. Other tries came from Liam Walters, Tom Davies, Ben Madges, Tristan Wharf and Morgan Jones, the latter also kicking three conversions.

Bridgend scored three fewer tries but Eugene Richards was more accurate with the boot which helped the match to its dramatic finish.

He converted four out of five as Jason Bennett (2), Tom Lucas, Ash Thomas, Jack Thompson and Fraser McGann were the tries scorers for the plucky runners up.

UNDER 16s FINAL

SOUTH GOWER REBELS 24 PENALLTA STORM 16

Penallta lost their grip on the title thanks to two tries in the last five minutes by a skilful South Gower side.

The Storm had won the under 15 title last year and the under 14 crown in 2011 and they were in pole position in this final until the very latter stages.

16-10 up at one stage, Storm’s tries came from Kyle Williams, Scott Davidson and Thomas Rees with Lewis Alexander kicking the one conversion.

But South Gower showed a never say die attitude and fought back. Hero of the day was James Taylor with a hat-trick of tries while Keelan Giles added a further two.

Keiran Williams and Tom Neale kicked one goal apiece to help give the Swansea-based side the title in only their second year of operation.

#258 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Mike Nicholas pleased at WRL growth

Wales Rugby League President Mike Nicholas has said that he’s delighted at the continued growth of Rugby League in Wales at community and junior level.

The former Warrington and Wales forward attended Sunday’s South Wales biggest ever club Rugby League Grand Finals day, where Taff’s Well RFC saw five matches - four at junior level and the 11th senior final from South Wales which saw Torfaen Tigers beat Valley Cougars 24-18 in a dramatic encounter.

It’s been the best and most pro-active season of community Rugby League in South Wales in three years and Nicholas, who was one of a number of pioneers who attended a meeting to launch the Welsh Conference at the old Bridgend Town FC ground in the winter of 2003, he admits that he didn’t expect to see it grow to such heights.

“A lot of people were involved right at the start,” Nicholas said. “Danny Sheehy chaired the first meeting for the Conference, Chris and John O’Callaghan were involved and there were two from Bridgend, Alan Evans and Andrew Smallwood, and they helped us get the league off the ground.

“We had decent crowds in that first season, we had games on Sky Sports Boots N All and the carnival atmosphere helped to launch Rugby League in South Wales as we know it now.

“The finals day on Sunday where we had under 13s, 14s, 15s, 16s and a senior final is a measure of our progress. It’s been a fantastic day having five Grand Finals which mirrors what we did for schools in South Wales earlier this year.

"The talent on display is brilliant. For example, James Taylor, who won the man of the match in the 16s Final looks a real future star and I hope that Wigan scouts were here to see him!”

This second North Wales Grand Final takes place this Wednesday in Colwyn Bay when Conwy Celts take on Flintshire Falcons (kick-off 7.30pm) and Nicholas hopes that one day North Wales can replicate the progress that South Wales has made at community level.

“We’re getting there,” he said. “There was a curtain raiser before the Crusaders game on Sunday with junior sides from Latchford and Wrexham Bradley Raiders. We are playing games at junior level in North Wales but we don’t as yet have the depth that they do in the south but we are playing Rugby League at different age groups all over North Wales.”

And with North Wales Crusaders beating Oxford 54-10, it sets the scene for the biggest club Rugby League match in Welsh history on September 1st and Nicholas can’t wait.

The Scorpions need to win for a place in the play-offs while the Crusaders, should they beat London Skolars on Friday, will need to win to take the Championship 1 title.

“That would be a real double edged sword,” Nicholas said. “It lends itself to an exciting finish to the Rugby League season in Wales.”

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 August 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#259 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

under-13s.jpg

U 13's Win Grand Final

Neath and District Scorpions have won the WRL under 13s Grand Final, in a competitive match against Cardiff Spartans.

The final score was 36-20 but the youngsters from the capital made the Scorpions’ youngest outfit fight all the way.

Neath went into a 14-0 lead after scores from Alex McNamara, Kurt Davies and Kingsley Morgan.

But quick tries from Cardiff’s Joseph Melhuish and Karling Claridge brought the score back to 14-10.

Tries from Brad Roderick and Ben Lukes further extended the score to 26-10 before Claridge and then Connor Brookes went over for Cardiff to give them further hope with the score now at 26-20.

However the Scorpions were too strong in the end and two further tries sealed the win.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 August 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#260 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

North Wales Crusaders closed the gap between themselves and Oldham Roughyeds, who sit top, to four points with a 54-10 victory over Oxford.

With Oldham’s season coming to a conclusion against rivals Rochdale Hornets on Thursday night, Crusaders’ destiny now lies well and truly in their own hands, and they kept on track for promotion with another superb second half showing.

Simon Stephens’ try took Crusaders into an early lead, and although a quick-fire double from Shaun Robinson saw the lead change hands at one stage, once they got momentum, and with Oxford tiring, there was only going to be one winner.

Crusaders opened the scoring when Simon Stephens collected a short ball from McConnell and touched down underneath the posts.

But a mixture of errors and poor discipline on the home side’s part gifted Oxford plenty of field position – and they took full advantage as they turned the game on its head.

Sean Morris’ pass sent Shaun Robinson in at the corner and Robinson was in once again moments later, this time from a superb cut-out pass from Martin Roden at acting half.

However, Crusaders came up with a quick response, Steve Bannister crossing in the right corner after Moulsdale popped the ball out to him after a break.

And Rob Massam added a fourth for North Wales when he took advantage of a loose pass on the left edge to race clear and score underneath the posts.

Oxford would have been hoping to start the second half with a response, but Crusaders built on their lead within a couple of minutes as a perfectly timed pass from Tommy Johnson sent Brennan through a gap.

Brennan added Crusaders’ fifth as he collected Dallimore’s pass on the blind side, before Simon Stephens capitalised on Jonny Leather’s error in-goal to touch down next to the posts.

Rob Massam and Leon Brennan crossed for their second and third tries respectively and then the try of the game – and what could, arguably be the try of the season – finished an impressive win in style.

After Oxford knocked on near halfway, Jono Smith collected the ball and grubbered ahead, which he then collected before popping the ball out to Andy Gorski who, in turn, put Steve Bannister over for his second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users