Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#301 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Street Rugby is part of a growing community rugby league programme which takes place across the North Wales area. After successful sessions in 2012, Street Rugby is back this year and it is the ideal chance for youngsters to get involved with rugby league in the week. Sessions take place in Gwersyllt on Wednesday’s from 6pm to 7pm and in Brynteg and Caia Parc take place on Thursday’s from 6pm to 7pm. The programme, which is run by Wales Rugby League and is partnered by the Co-op, Street Games and GwirVol, has received additional support in Wrexham from Prysmian, who have offered free tickets to Crusaders home games for those who take part in the programme in Wrexham through their partnership with North Wales Crusaders. Ray Bate of Prysmian said: “We are supporting North Wales Crusaders and the Street Rugby initiative as we believe this an excellent benefit to the community. “Engagement with local children through Street Rugby provides real enjoyment and multiple community improvements.” Simon Cooke, one of the coaches at the camps and Crusaders’ kitman, said: “It’s a great opportunity for those who are unable to fit into the structure of a club environment. “We’re taking the best parts of the game we love out to them. It’s fantastic to see Prysmian is supporting the event and giving us the chance to support more young people than before.” There are also Street Rugby Workshops taking place in North Wales this month, with a session in Conwy on September 23 at 5.30pm and then in Wrexham on September 24 at 5.30pm. To take advantage of these free sessions contact Gaz Belton on gszbelton@yahoo.com.

#302 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

North Wales Crusaders Supporters have started a petition after their rquests to BBC Wales report rugby league in Wales on TV and Radio has fallen on deaf ears. Messages have ben met with lack of a response or a generic patronising reply.

Last season BBC Wales failed to report the first competitive rugby league game between two professional Welsh clubs in over 100 years. Despite sending reporters to games not even the scores manage to get announced on the sports report. 

This season North Wales Crusaders won the Norhtern Rail Bowl, maintained 100% home record, had the top try scorer in the league (Robbie Massam),had the highest gat attendance in the league and were crowned Champions of Championship 1 after an enthralling game against South Wales Scorpions. Did any of this get onto BBC Wales? Not even the result were readout as they were too busy fawning over a soccer player who cost £85 million.

Sign the petition here:

http://www.gopetitio...les-sports.html

#303 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Signed. Given that Wrexham is at the edge of the Welsh speaking heartland of the country, trying to get at least the Welsh WC games on S4C would be nice although I know that their budget's been hammered.

#304 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

I know the proposed bespoke fan-signature scheme went belly-up, but can someone tell me if we are having a new shirt for the World Cup?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#305 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

I know the proposed bespoke fan-signature scheme went belly-up, but can someone tell me if we are having a new shirt for the World Cup?

Yes. I believe itis the one that the Students wore at their World Cup,the Raging Bull one.

Sure there's a photo of it on the Wales RL site.

#306 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Wales Student Side:

616190_527039647345996_1228180407_o.jpg

Posted Image

#307 rhodders

rhodders
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Is the new Wales shirt available to buy yet? Emailed Raging Bull several weeks ago about this but no response. Emailed WRL they sent me a link to the Raging Bull website but doesnt have the match shirts available to buy, just t-shirts, jackets etc.

#308 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Matt pritchard has now left WRL. He has done a great job. Only one full time employee now left.

#309 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Matt pritchard has now left WRL. He has done a great job. Only one full time employee now left.

I feel as this World Cup is last chance saloon for WRL, a perfect opportunity nonetheless to attract investment and support. Whilst seemingly thriving I feel as if the sport in Wales recently has just been surviving in certain areas of its structure.

#310 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Petition happily signed.

Obviously Wrexham is going to be the long term home of the Crusaders but is there any plans to take a game or two on the road to other parts of N Wales to try and get other areas interested in following the club?

#311 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Agreed on Matt did. Sterling job both down here and up there.

Regarding one f/t isn't it two at the minute ?

#312 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Ryan Hall says he’d relish an appearance at the Millennium Stadium at Rugby League World Cup 2013, six years after he made his club debut at the same venue, as he aims to break his duck against Australia.

England face Kangaroos as part of a spellbinding RLWC2013 Opening Ceremony on October 26, and memories of his Leeds Rhinos bow in Cardiff are still fresh for Hall.

“It was the game against Bradford in 2007 at the Magic Weekend, the one where we scored from the penalty attempt to win the game,” he recalled.

“It was a nerve-racking experience to be making my debut at such a fantastic stadium. I’d only expected to be 18th man, but a player dropped out and I was told on the bus down I was in.

“It threw me in at the deep end on a big occasion, but I was able to draw on that experience for the weeks following, and it’s much more natural nowadays.”

Hall is chasing selection for England in the Opening Ceremony clash against the Kangaroos, and says he hopes to break his duck following a run of defeats against the men in Green and Gold.

“I’m really looking forward to the tournament and it’d be a great honour to be picked. I’ve played Australia before, but I’ve never beaten them, so it’d be amazing to do it at Rugby League World Cup 2013, on such a massive occasion.

“I experienced a fantastic atmosphere playing for England at Wembley in 2011, and I hope to play there again at RLWC2013, but I know the noise generated in Cardiff with the roof closed will be something else.

“The stadium creates a real bounce and the fans are on top of you. I hope they can come out in their numbers and getting behind England.”

#313 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Touch Rugby returns to Wrexham ahead of RLWC2013

Touch Rugby is returning to Wrexham next week to celebrate the celebrate the town hosting two matches at the Rugby League World Cup 2013.

Touch rugby is a fun, non-contact version of the sport that is suitable for everyone.

The sport minimises the physical contact and is suitable for men and women of all ages.

Touch Rugby takes place at Queensway Stadium every Wednesday from September 18 between 7.00-8.30pm.

Mark Glasson, Queensway Stadium Manager said:

“Since the arrival of professional rugby league in the area we have seen a rise in popularity of rugby in general. We are delighted to work in partnership with the Wales Rugby League to get more people active and most importantly have fun.

“The great thing is that players of all abilities have been showing up to play. There have been people from different sporting backgrounds as well as people who are just looking for a new way to keep fit.”

By removing tackles and other contact elements of the sport, Touch Rugby is more about athleticism and exercise, encouraging players to be both agile and accurate in passing and catching.

Cllr David Griffiths, Lead Member for Health said:

“Touch rugby is fun sport and a great way to improve your fitness whilst also meeting new people. It’s an easy game to pick up meaning you can get up to speed in no time.

“It’s great to see so many people getting involved and staying active. The sessions have been very popular and I would encourage people of all abilities to come down to Queensway and give it a go. With the RLWC2013 just around the corner, we’re keen to increase participation in the sport, whatever your ability may be.”

If you are interested in taking part in come along to a session just turn up at Queensway. Each session costs £2.50.

#314 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

Petition happily signed.

Obviously Wrexham is going to be the long term home of the Crusaders but is there any plans to take a game or two on the road to other parts of N Wales to try and get other areas interested in following the club?

There was talk last season of having to take games on the road while the Racecourse pitch and ground was being redeveloped.  This didn't happen in the end and with Wrexham FC not getting promotion I am not sure the University will go ahead at the moment.  However I know the club talked about realistic grounds where games  could be taken and these included Cefn Druids FC, Cefn Mawr.  Eirias Parc, Colwyn Bay and Airbus FC, Broughton.  Supporters also thought game in Carnarfon/ Bangor or Dolgellau may be popular. An in-season game at Eirias Parc would depend on the WRU fixtures for  the Rygbi Gogledd Cymru team. I am sure on the road fixtures will be discussed again.  The pros being to take rugby league across North Wales, the cons being will we lose support from the magnificent attendances we get at the Racecourse.

#315 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

North Wales Crusaders Supporters have started a petition after their rquests to BBC Wales report rugby league in Wales on TV and Radio has fallen on deaf ears. Messages have ben met with lack of a response or a generic patronising reply.

Last season BBC Wales failed to report the first competitive rugby league game between two professional Welsh clubs in over 100 years. Despite sending reporters to games not even the scores manage to get announced on the sports report. 

This season North Wales Crusaders won the Norhtern Rail Bowl, maintained 100% home record, had the top try scorer in the league (Robbie Massam),had the highest gat attendance in the league and were crowned Champions of Championship 1 after an enthralling game against South Wales Scorpions. Did any of this get onto BBC Wales? Not even the result were readout as they were too busy fawning over a soccer player who cost £85 million.

Sign the petition here:

http://www.gopetitio...les-sports.html

Absolutely disgraceful that one of the most popular spectator sports in Wales is completely ignored by BBC Wales Sport.  North Wales Crusaders incredible achievement this season in completing  the Northern Rail Bowl and Championship 1 double has been totally ignored by BBC Wales.  BBC Wales coverage of Rugby League is beneath contempt.  I can’t fathom the reason for their pathetic discriminatory attitude.  In a similar vein why is that English TV licence payers can view their team’s games live in the forthcoming Rugby League World Cup (the original Rugby World Cup BTW) but the Welsh TV licence paying public can only see highlights of their team’s games?  Same old, same old.

Added the above comment to the petition, however, I wont't hold my breath.  Regrettably sporting apartheid in the media is alive and well in Wales.  The Welsh media establishment are still living in the mid 20th century and still haven't forgiven RL for taking some of their best players. 

#316 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

therugbyleaguea.jpg

Lunch with Gareth Thomas By Ian Golden | 16/09/2013

There are still a few tickets left for "Lunch with Gareth Thomas" on Friday 27th September 2013 at 12pm at The Towers Hotel in Swansea.

This is being held to promote the Wales v Cook Islands match being held in The Gnoll, Neath on Wednesday 30th October 2013.

The event will include a three course meal, a talk from Gareth Thomas, a question & answer session and an auction / raffle.

Gareth Thomas, former welsh rugby league, rugby union and British & Irish Lions international. Gareth is also an official ambassador for the Rugby League World 2013.

Cost: £20 per ticket or £200 for a table of 10

To book your place at this event, contact Liam Hedges on l.hedges@npt.gov.uk or 01639 686058

Host: Tommo (Nation Hits Radio DJ)

Date: Friday 27th September 2013

Time: 12pm to 4pm

Venue: The Towers Hotel, Ashleigh Terrace, Jersey Marine, Neath, SA10 6JL

Menu:

Starter: Vegetable Soup
Main: Beef Dinner (vegetarian option of a Roasted MediterraneanTartlet)
Desert: Choice of Cheesecake or profiteroles

#317 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Liking the new Wales World Cup kit...

8687.jpg

Posted Image

#318 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Wales launch RLWC2013 shirt

Wales have today unveiled their new home kit for Rugby League World Cup 2013, which will be used for the opening game against Italy at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday October 26. 

The distinctive new design has the famous Welsh dragon incorporated into the body of the red shirt. A desgin element which will no doubt prove to be a big hit with supporters.

Manufactured by Raging Bull, the shirt will display the logo of new main sponsor Probiz across the chest and be worn with white shorts and red socks. The RLWC2013 logo is also displayed on the right side of the chest and will only appear on jerseys sold in 2013. 

Wales Rugby League Chief Operating Officer Chris Thair said: "We are really pleased with the new design as it symbolises Wales and our sport. You have the traditional Prince of Wales feathers and the red print that you would expect of any Welsh rugby jersey. But it is joined by a fantastic dragon design which wraps around the body of the shirt.

"When we were in the research phase of the design we had great feedback from retailers in Cardiff. They said the Dragon would be very appealing to tourists and casual trade, as well as supporters, so we know the unique design will help to boost sales. I can’t wait to see thousands of fans wearing the kit in the stands throughout RLWC2013."

The new shirt is now available to order, and can be delivered in time for the RLWC2013 Opening Ceremony on October 26.

To see the shirt in all its glory and to place an order, click here Order

#319 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

mike-connor.jpg

Scorpions players in Wales junior squads

Wales Rugby League have released an initial 32-man training squad for the forthcoming under 18 and under 20 internationals with the promise of more players to come.

At under 18 level, Wales take on England Community Lions on October 6th at Taff’s Well RFC and then travel to Whitecraigs RFC in Glasgow on October 19th to face Scotland.

Between those two dates, Wales break new ground by playing under 20 internationals for the very first time, taking on England at Taff’s Well on Sunday 13th and Friday 18th October.

Some players will be eligible for both age-groups, some just for the under 18s.

The majority of the squad come from the South Wales Scorpions under 20s side with eight having made appearances in the senior side in Championship 1 in 2013.

There are currently four players from North Wales in the squad, two from the Crusaders under 18s and two from North Wales Conference champions Conwy Celts.

Wales junior head coach Dave Clark said: “We’ve had a massive interest from players who want to join the squad. The prospect of facing England at both under 18 and under 20 level is something that no player wants to miss.

“We’re holding more trials this weekend and we’ll hopefully add about ten more players to the final squads.

“I’m pleased that we have a good selection of players from all over Wales – north, south, east and west. It shows that through our two professional clubs, the community game in Wales and beyond, that we’re producing an enthusiastic talented pool who want to represent their country.”

Sunday 6th October KO 1pm - Wales U18 v England Community Lions (Taff’s Well RFC)

Sunday 13th October KO 3pm - Wales U20 v England Academy (Taff’s Well RFC)

Friday 18th October KO 6.30pm - Wales U20 v England Academy (Taff’s Well RFC)

Saturday 19th October KO 12noon - Scotland U18 v Wales U18 (Whitecraigs RFC, Glasgow)

NAME                                                      CLUB                                                             ORIGINATES

Alex Jones                                  South Wales Scorpions                                                Penrhiwfer

Ben Williams                               South Wales Scorpions                                                 Tredegar

Calvin Wellington                        South Wales Scorpions                                                Port Talbot

Chris Leyshon                             South Wales Scorpions                                                Port Talbot

Christopher Bowler                     South Wales Scorpions                                                   Cardiff

Connor Farrer                             South Wales Scorpions                                                Pontypridd

Courtney Davies                         South Wales Scorpions                                                Port Talbot

Daniel Parry                                South Wales Scorpions                                                 Treharris

Huw Rosser                                South Wales Scorpions                                                  Bridgend

Jac Griffiths                                 Gwendraeth Valley Raiders                                           Burry Port

Jack Marshall                              South Wales Scorpions                                                   Cardiff

Jake Thomas                              South Wales Scorpions                                                   Bargoed

Jason Lindsey                             Newham Dockers                                                   Dagenham, Essex

Joe Festa                                    South Wales Scorpions                                               Ystradgynlais

Jordan Howells                            South Wales Scorpions                                                 Monmouth

Jordan Sheridan                          Conwy Celts                                                                  Old Colwyn

Joseph Symons                           South Wales Scorpions                                                 Bridgend

Joshua Williams                           Gloucestershire All Golds                                            Gloucester

Kyle Moore                                   Bradford Bulls                                                   West Bowling, Yorkshire

Kylum Austin                                South Wales Scorpions                                               Ystradgynlais

Lewis Jay Pearce                        Cardiff Demons                                                                Cardiff

Lewis Stockton                            Conwy Celts                                                                   Llandudno

Matthew Davies                           North Wales Crusaders                                       Whitchurch, Shropshire

Michael Connor                           South Wales Scorpions                                                  Pontypridd

Osian Philips                               South Wales Scorpions                                                   Cardigan

Rhys Finney                                South Wales Scorpions                                                 Ebbw Vale

Rhys Fitzgerald                           South Wales Scorpions                                                  Caerphilly

Rhys Pugsley                              Wigan Warriors                                                               Newport

Sam John                                    Gwendraeth Valley Raiders                                            Kidwelly

Steele Boundford                         Treharris Phoenix                                                        Pontygwaith

Thomas Davies                            North Wales Crusaders                                         Whitchurch, Shropshire

TJ Collin                                       South Wales Scorpions                                                   Newport

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 20 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#320 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

WRL World Cup Legends Lunch

WALES R.L would like to cordially invite you to the WORLD CUP LEGENDS LUNCH 

AT THE HALLIWELL JONES STADIUM FRIDAY 18th OCTOBER 1pm FOR 1.30pm 

SPEAKERS 

BIG JIM MILLS & MIKE NICHOLAS 
Verbal sparring Q&A, David & Goliath the rematch! 

PLUS 

SPECIAL GUESTS:

THE GREAT BILLY BOSTON 

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED RHOS ORPHEUS CHOIR 

AND 

GARETH THOMAS | KIERON CUNNINGHAM BOBBY WANBON | IESTYN HARRIS KEL COSLETT | LEE BRIERS 

COST: TABLE X 10: £300 OR £35 INDIVIDUALLY 

If you would like to atttend please contact: 

M. NICHOLAS: 07973 756335 | R. FISHER: 07792 813698 72879 

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 20 September 2013 - 05:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users