Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#361 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

face England Lions in this Sunday’s under 18 international against England at Taff’s Well RFC (kick-off 1pm).

The match is the first of two home games against the English with the second being on Friday 18th October at the same location.

Seven of the starting line-up come from South Wales Scorpions, all of whom played for the senior side in 2013, most of them being regulars in the side.

Two players, Bradley Mais and Rhys Pugsley, are Welsh-born players on Wigan Warriors books, Kyle Moore is from Bradford Bulls, while the remaining three are from North Wales namely Crusaders’ Matthew Davies and Conwy Celts’ Lewis Stockton and Jordan Sheridan, both of whom starred in their North Wales Championship winning side.

Wales under 18s have a good record against the England Lions side having won three and drawn one in this annual fixture since it was created four years ago. 

2013 Rugby League World Cup squad members Rhys Evans, Ben Evans and Rhodri Lloyd starred in that first match and Wales under 18s coach Dave Clark believes that successes with players like these will help spur his young side on.

“It’s always good to see former Wales junior squad members progress on to senior side honours,” he said. “That’s what the development programme is all about.

“We’re delighted that Wales v England Lions is a two-match series for the first time and we think that once again we have a strong squad to be able to take them on.

“Our side has a lot of experience there, especially with the Scorpions lads who have played quite a few Championship 1 games between them this season. I’m sure it’ll be an exciting and competitive match at Taff’s Well on Sunday with both sides looking to get their first win on the board.”

Admission to the match costs just £5 for adults and £3 for juniors.

WALES

NAME

CLUB

HOMETOWN

1 Chris Leyshon

South Wales Scorpions

Port Talbot

2 Lewis Stockton

Conwy Celts

Llandudno

3 Matthew Davies

North Wales Crusaders

Whitchurch, Shropshire

4 Jordan Howells

South Wales Scorpions

Monmouth

5 Kyle Moore

Bradford Bulls

West Bowling, Yorkshire

6 Courtney Davies

South Wales Scorpions

Port Talbot

7 Jordan Sheridan

Conwy Celts

Old Colwyn

8 Michael Connor

South Wales Scorpions

Pontypridd

9 Connor Farrer

South Wales Scorpions

Pontypridd

10 Osian Philips

South Wales Scorpions

Cardigan

11 TJ Collin

South Wales Scorpions

Newport

12 Bradley Mais

Wigan Warriors

Cardiff

13 Rhys Pugsley

Wigan Warriors

Newport

14 Ollie Vickers

Telford Raiders

Church Stretton

15 Rhys Finney

South Wales Scorpions

Ebbw Vale

16 Rhys Fitzgerald

South Wales Scorpions

Caerphilly

17 Jac Griffiths

Gwendraeth Valley Raiders

Burry Port

18 Steele Boundford

Treharris Phoenix

Pontygwaith

19 Joshua Williams

Gloucestershire All Golds

Gloucester

#362 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

The people of Wrexham are being encouraged to show their patriotic side and help inspire Wales to glory at Rugby League World Cup 2013.
The #GetBehindWales campaign was launched in Wrexham today, with the help of members of the Wales squad, local businesses, schoolchildren and fans.
#GetBehindWales has been launched one month ahead of the showdown between Wales and USA at the Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium on November 3.
The campaign has been launched across social media platforms as RLWC2013 fever begins to grip the town.
A host of big names have already agreed to #GetBehindWales including Wrexham’s double Olympic Gold Medallist Tom James, RLWC2013 ambassador Gareth Thomas and Wales captain Jordan James.
Gymnastics superstar Beth Tweddle and North Wales Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths have also shown their support by appearing in the #GetBehindWales video.
You can show your support by using the hashtag #GetBehindWales on social media and by sending your own #GetBehindWales video to rugby2013@wrexham.gov.uk.
Wales captain Jordan James said: "I enjoyed my time in Wrexham when I played for the Crusaders and I want the whole town to #GetBehindWales at Rugby League World Cup 2013.
"A passionate home crowd at the Racecourse will give the boys a massive lift when we play the USA on November 3, and hopefully we'll be back in Wrexham for the Quarter final on Saturday 16th November.
"During my time in Wrexham, people always talked about wanting to see more international sport coming to the town. They're very passionate when it comes to their sport and so the whole squad is looking forward to staying in Wrexham during the tournament."
The Racecourse will also be the setting for the Quarter Final between the winners of Group A & Group D on November 16, and oroviding Wales top Group D, Wrexham could be the stage for a mouth-watering clash between the Dragons and England or Australia.
Cllr Neil Rogers, Leader of Wrexham Council said: “We’re very excited to play our part in what is the global sporting event of 2013. We saw from London 2012 that home support makes a massive difference and the Wales squad will be guaranteed a warm welcome during their time in Wrexham.
“With the Wales vs. USA game now just a month away, there’s a lot of buzz starting to build around the town. We’re a rugby-mad nation and the whole of Wrexham is right behind Iestyn Harris and his squad. I’m getting behind Wales and I wish the team every success during the tournament.”
And Wrexham’s double Olympic Gold Medalist Tom James has also thrown his backing behind the campaign: “Wrexham has seen big events in the past and the town has shown it is more than capable of hosting major events such as Rugby League World Cup 2013.
“The more big events that come our way, the better and I hope this sets precedence for more major sporting occasions coming Wrexham’s way.
“It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to watch world-class sport on your doorstep so I hope the people of Wrexham really get behind the Rugby League World Cup 2013.”
Lesley Griffiths, Assembly Member for Wrexham added: “The people of Wrexham have really taken Rugby League to their heart and it’s a really exciting time for the area. People are taking about the town hosting two games and it is great news for the Racecourse Stadium.

#363 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Cross-code legend Gareth Thomas has called on Wales to show they are not just 'a nation of footballers' when the Rugby League World Cup heads to Cardiff this autumn.
Welshman Gareth Bale became the most expensive footballer in the world this summer when he moved to Real Madrid for £86million and Thomas, who won four Wales caps in the 13-man code after moving from union, wants the rugby league players to show what they can do.
Wales will face off against Italy in the opening match of the tournament at the Millennium Stadium on October 26. They then play powerhouses Australia and fellow host nation England.
The victorious British and Irish Lions rugby union team featured 10 Welshman and Thomas said: 'The eyes of the world will be on us and we need to show we are not just a nation of rugby union, we are not just a nation of footballers but we are a nation of sportspeople,' he said.
'As a proud Welshman, a supporter and an ex-player I think it is going to be massive. With Wales playing the opener followed by England v Australia, there are some of the world’s toughest rugby league teams so I am sure it will be a spectacle.
'One thing you can never take away from anyone is their identity, and for me I have always said that the proudest thing in my life is being Welsh. I would support Wales if they were playing tiddlywinks.
'The fact that they are playing a sport which I have been a part of and it being a team I have been a part of is massive'

#364 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Where can I buy a Wales shirt?

I want to try one on before buying. Depending on the manufacturer, sometimes I am XL, sometimes XXL

Edited by Wolford6, 05 October 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#365 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

Where can I buy a Wales shirt?

I want to try one on before buying. Depending on the manufacturer, sometimes I am XL, sometimes XXL

http://www.ragingbul...League/594.aspx

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#366 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

http://www.ragingbul...League/594.aspx

hmm hard to try it on like that given those prom pics always have the skin tight players version!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#367 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

hmm hard to try it on like that given those prom pics always have the skin tight players version!

Rgr - missed the bit about Wolford wanting to try it on... sorry!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#368 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Rgr - missed the bit about Wolford wanting to try it on... sorry!

hey no worries just made me laugh that we always use those player versions to promote shirts, slightly unrealistic to say the least :)
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#369 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Wales continued their impressive record in meetings with England Community Lions after a 40-10 win at Taff’s Well RFC.A flurry of second half tries proved telling as the hosts made it four wins from five in this fixture, ahead of a return visit in two weeks time.Following a physical exchange of opening sets, Courtney Davies' high kick was spilled and, after Osian Phillips went close, Wales moved the ball left for Jordan Howells to slide over. Davies converted to give the host a six point advantage after eight minutes.The Lions enjoyed a fair share of possession during the first half, but wasted promising field position through handling errors. Much to their credit, they defused fifth-tackle kicking situations admirably to prevent the home side from extending their lead.A moment of controversy ensued on the half-hour mark as Howells raced out of the line to quell an overlap, but the centre’s shoulder charge was penalised only, and from the penalty England were again denied by a forward pass on the left edge.A feature of Wales’ play was the timely addition of Chris Leyshon into the line; following a penalty for offside, Davies was able to pass under pressure and find Bradley Mais, who found Leyshon on his shoulder to unlock the Lions defence.With England needing a spark, interchange hooker Nick Ratcliffe’s first involvement in the game was to dart out of dummy half and breach the Welsh defence for the first time. The Leigh East man kept calm and found Jamie Tracey in support to cross next to the posts.Howells was again at the centre of things as the second half started – clever footwork saw him break free but was unable to retain possession in contact. The South Wales Scorpions centre continued to threaten, and was denied a second as he lost control of the ball as he attempted to squeeze over in the corner.Stern defence from the home side also provided the tireless Rhys Fitzgerald with room to charge up-field, but a knock-on from Jordan Sheridan prevented Wales from capitalising on the break. Yet the hosts were to make the pressure tell; Mais identifying a mismatch in numbers on the short side, and having come from left-to-right, offloaded out of the back of his hand to release wing Lewis Stockton in the corner.Following Leyshon’s second, Wales scored two tries in quick succession courtesy of their second rows – Mais again showing his Wigan calibre by forcing his way over from close range, and TJ Collin doing likewise as Wales surged downfield following the restart.Yet the community side continued to compete and were immediately rewarded – a third try in a short period saw Alex Rudd dive over for his side’s second of the afternoon – however Wales were to have the final say as Thomas Davies slid in at the corner, before Josh Williams fielded a short England restart to wrap up the victory.

WALES U18S1 Chris Leyshon (South Wales Scorpions)2 Lewis Stockton (Conwy Celts)3 Matthew Davies (North Wales Crusaders)4 Jordan Howells (South South Wales Scorpions)5 Kyle Moore (Bradford Bulls)6 Courtney Davies (South Wales Scorpions)7 Jordan Sheridan (Conwy Celts)8 Michael Connor (South Wales Scorpions)9 Connor Farrer (South Wales Scorpions)10 Osian Phillips (South Wales Scorpions)11 TJ Collin (South Wales Scorpions)12 Bradley Mais (Wigan Warriors)13 Rhys Fitzgerald (South Wales Scorpions)SUBS:14 Ollie Vickers (Telford Raiders)15 Jac Griffiths (Gwendraeth Valley Raiders)16 Rhys Finney (South Wales Scorpions)17 Thomas Davies (North Wales Crusaders)18 Josh WilliamsTries: Howells ( 8), Leyshon (33, 51), Stockton (44), Mais (56) Collin (59), T. Davies (77), Williams (78),Goals: Davies 4/8

ENGLAND COMMUNITY LIONS1 Nathan Lawrence (Dewsbury Celtic)2 Scott Pink (Wath Brow Hornets)3 Tom Whittle (Ince Rose Bridge)4 Declan Tomlinson (East Leeds)5 Hershal Ward (Leicester Storm)6 Christian Tyson (Askam)7 Lennox Green (West Hull)8 Tom Fletcher (Leigh East)9 Matty Henson (Cockermouth)10 Shaun Mumberson (Cockermouth)11 Leon Tatlock (Thatto Heath)12 Jamie Tracey (Thatto Heath)13 Charlie Tomlinson (Wath Brow Hornets)SUBS:14 Nick Ratcliffe (Leigh East)15 Charlie Hughes (East Leeds)16 Alex Rudd (West Hull)17 Reece Needham (Coventry Bears)Tries: Tracey (35), Rudd (61)Goals: Tomlinson 1/2HT: 10-6

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 07 October 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#370 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Dave Clark quits to take up new Cumbrian post

South Wales Scorpions head coach Dave Clark has departed the club to join the RFL run Cumbrian Regional Academy as their new Regional Performance Coach.
Clark has been at the club for two seasons and has helped to develop a number of young Welsh players to their professional Rugby League debuts and to Welsh honours at various levels.
In his spell in charge of the South Wales Scorpions Academy sides, the under 16s gained successes against Super League teams like Salford, Widnes and London Broncos.
This departure means that he will also be resigning from his Wales Rugby League post following the Wales junior internationals this month.
Clark, from Cardiff but based in Cumbria, said: “It’s been a fantastic two years here in South Wales and I’m really pleased to have played my role in player development.
“I’m proud to be Welsh and I love my country but my family are based in Cumbria and it’s been very difficult for me to make 800 mile round trips on a weekly basis and be away from them for so much time during the week.
“I am delighted to still be in Rugby League and equally delighted to be joining a new role with the Cumbrian Regional Academy via the Rugby Football League. I played most of my Rugby League in Cumbria, for Barrow Raiders and I look forward to helping new players along in the other area of the UK that I have a passion for.”
South Wales Scorpions would like to wish Dave all the best in his new role and the decision on who the new head coach will be is yet to be confirmed.

#371 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Daniel Fleming hopes to pull on a Welsh jersey again as he hopes to gain a place in the side for his side’s opening match of the Rugby League World Cup.

Wales take on Italy at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday 26th October (kick-off 4.30pm) straight after England take on Australia and the 21-year old prop can’t believe he could be a part of such a prestigious occasion.

“It’s a massive honour to have been selected in the Wales squad,” he said. “It’s unreal to think that there’s a possibility that I could be playing at the Millennium Stadium in front of tens of thousands of people.

“The last time I was there I watched Hull FC and Leeds in the Challenge Cup and hopefully I’ll be playing the next time that I’m there.

“It’s going to be an unreal atmosphere. I think that the biggest crowd I’ve played in front of was when Castleford went to Leeds Rhinos and even though you were shouting your head off in the warm up you couldn’t hear anything!

“I’m really looking forward to hopefully experiencing what it’s like at the Millennium Stadium.”

Wales will take on an Italian side full of superstars from the Australian Rugby League, who like Dan, qualify for their country via the heritage rule and he’s looking forward to the challenge of playing against some of the world’s best.

“Yes, Italy have got a lot of good players,” he said. “Both Anthony and Mark Minichiello, Terry Campese (nephew of rugby union’s David) and they have got some big forwards.

“But I think that Wales have got a lot of good players too through with the likes of Ben Flower, Craig Kopczak, Gil Dudson and Ben Evans in the forwards. There’s a lot of competition for me but that also means that there is a good opportunity to learn.”

Last year Fleming became one of the rare breed of players to make his international debut before he’d appeared for the first team of his club and despite having a good year with the Tigers, he didn’t expect to be back in the side to try to add to his first three caps.

“I hadn’t really spoken to lestyn,” Fleming remarks. “When he rang up last month I was expecting to be told that I wasn’t going to be selected, but when he said ‘congratulations you’re in’, it was a bit of a shock.

“Every day I’ve been thinking about what I need to do to be selected for the opening game in Cardiff, but there has been no expectation from myself because of the amount of good players that there are to choose from.

“My year just keeps getting better and better! I’ve had my first game for Cas, my first try for Cas and hopefully now my first World Cup game too.”

The first time that Fleming gets a chance to shine will be on Tuesday 15th October when the Welsh side take on a Welsh Select XIII in a friendly match at Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay (kick-off 6pm).

“We go to camp on the 9th October for a week and then we go to the World Cup,” he said. “But Eliot Kear, Ben Evans, Jordan James, Jake Emmitt, Lloyd White and I have been doing a fall-out camp because we didn’t make the Super League play-offs.

“We’ve been going over to a base in Lancashire to train there for a couple of days a week, have a good blow-out  and try and keep as fit as we can.

“I’ve set my sights on playing all three group games, but I’ve got to work hard to do that and gain as much experience as I can from the players I’m playing with and against.”

Wales v WRL Select XIII at Parc Eirias on Oct 15th kicks off at 6pm. Tickets are £10 seated, £5 standing. Call 01492 577900 for more information or go to www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk.

#372 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

man squad for their first test against the full England Academy side this Sunday in Taff’s Well (kick-off 3pm).

Twelve players who starred in the Wales under 18s 40-10 win over England Lions last Sunday have been included but with the criteria increased in this game to those aged 19 at the start of 2013, coach Dave Clark has called up a number of additional players.

The starting 13 is dominated by players from the South Wales Scorpions’ under 20 side, eight of whom made first team appearances in 2013.

Former Scorpion Jacob Morgan, who signed for Leeds Rhinos last year, makes a welcome return to the area to play for his country, while Rhys Pugsley, who was initially named in last week’s line-up but was injured on the day, will again attempt to join his Wigan team-mate Bradley Mais in the forwards.

Two players from North Wales are named on the bench – Andrew Oakden from the Crusaders, who is one of the new additions to the side, and Jordan Sheridan of North Wales champions Conwy Celts, who started last week’s game.

“Our players know that this is a very tough game especially as they’ll be facing players who are all affiliated with Super League clubs,” said head coach Dave Clark who will be in charge of his final game in South Wales before his return to Cumbria.

“A lot of the team had a morale boosting win over England Lions last week but this is a massive step up for them and they’ll need to be on top of their game to get a result.”

Seven Super League clubs are represented in the squad, which features eight players from Wigan Warriors, three from Huddersfield Giants, one from St Helens and two apiece from Hull FC, Leeds Rhinos, Bradford Bulls and Warrington Wolves.

England Academy coach John Winder believes that junior Rugby League in England is thriving and that his squad can benefit from a number of players having already played in Super League.

“One of the big strengths of the England programme is that we have players coming in who have Super League experience," he said. "George Williams, for example, at Wigan, has already played in Super League.

“There is a really good mix of players here in this squad. We have players who have been in the England programme for the last couple of years and also we have some new fresh faces."

The two-Test schedule is as follows (both games at Taff’s Well RFC):

First Test - Sunday October 13 (3.00pm)

Second Test – Friday October 18 (6.30pm)

Admission to each match costs just £5 for adults, £3 for juniors.

WALES SIDE

NAME

CLUB

HOMETOWN

Jacob Morgan

Leeds Rhinos

Cardiff

Alex Jones

South Wales Scorpions

Penrhiwfer

Kylum Austin

South Wales Scorpions

Ystradgynlais

Jordan Howells

South Wales Scorpions

Monmouth

Chris Leyshon

South Wales Scorpions

Port Talbot

Daniel Parry

South Wales Scorpions

Treharris

Courtney Davies

South Wales Scorpions

Port Talbot

Michael Connor

South Wales Scorpions

Pontypridd

Connor Farrer

South Wales Scorpions

Pontypridd

Osian Philips

South Wales Scorpions

Cardigan

TJ Collin

South Wales Scorpions

Newport

Bradley Mais

Wigan Warriors

Cardiff

Rhys Pugsley

Wigan Warriors

Newport

Subs (from)

Jordan Sheridan

Conwy Celts

Old Colwyn

Rhys Fitzgerald

South Wales Scorpions

Caerphilly

Rhys Finney

South Wales Scorpions

Ebbw Vale

Kyle Moore

Bradford Bulls

West Bowling, Yorkshire

Andrew Oakden

North Wales Crusaders

Whitchurch, Shropshire

Christopher Bowler

South Wales Scorpions

Cardiff

ENGLAND (from - professional and community clubs in brackets):

Ben Austin (Wigan Warriors, Ince Rose Bridge)

Jordan Baldwinson (Leeds Rhinos, Hunslet Warriors)

Joe Burgess (Wigan Warriors, Ince Rose Bridge)

Lewis Charnock (St Helens, Rylands)

Jake Connor (Huddersfield Giants, Siddal)

Nathan Conroy (Bradford Bulls, West Bowling)

Tyler Dickinson (Huddersfield Giants, Siddal)

Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

Ryan Hampshire (Wigan Warriors, Normanton)

Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos, Oulton Raiders)

Toby King (Warrington Wolves, Meltham All Black)

Kruise Leeming (Huddersfield Giants, Siddal)

Rob Lever (Wigan Warriors, Bold Miners)

Alex Mellor (Bradford Bulls, King Cross Park)

Ryan Sutton (Wigan Warriors, Ince Rose Bridge)

Lewis Tierney (Wigan Warriors, Orrel St James)

Jansin Turget (Hull FC, West Hull)

Bobby Tyson-Wilson (Hull FC, West Hull)

Tom Walker (Warrington Wolves, Cockermouth Titans)

George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 09 October 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#373 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

World Cup massive for Wales, says White

photo_515328.jpg

Wales hooker Lloyd White believes the World Cup is massively important in proving to the Welsh public that rugby league can be big in the country.

The tournament opens at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on October 26 when England take on Australia and Wales play Italy.

White, 25, is hoping to make an impact in his first World Cup, some four years after he made his international debut against Ireland in the European Cup.

He said: "The World Cup has been a long time coming but it does seem like it has flown by since the launch a couple of years ago.

"I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

"I'm not too sure at the moment how we'll do, I think for us it is about taking every game as it comes.

"We need to get out of the group stage to prove we can compete, then if we do that we can take it from there.

"The World Cup is massively important to Welsh rugby league. We need to prove to the Welsh public, especially down in South Wales, that rugby league can be a big thing and that we have got a decent enough team to follow.

"The amount of young kids coming through now must have at least doubled over the past couple of years.

"When I first started, you could basically trun up and play for Wales under 18's, whereas now there are big trials and a lot more competition for places.

"Having one of the biggest clubs like Wigan helping South Wales is a massive boost, and it makes people take note."

Cardiff-born White played in Super League for the Crusaders franchise, and has also played for the country's other professional club, South Wales Scorpions.

He has, however, spent the past two seasons at Widnes, although has seen injury restrict him to 37 appearances for the Vikings.

White added: "I am fit and well for the World Cup.

"I have got my eye on the number nine shirt but if there is any position that needs filling, I am happy to do so.

"(Coach) Iestyn Harris has got the respect of all the players and when he speaks, everyone listens.

"He has got a lot of knowledge of the game, and he is very big on his skill, which can only help my game to get better."

#374 rhodders

rhodders
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

http://www.walesrugb...ully-join-wales

Frizell could be fit to join the world cup squad. Great news if he makes it.

Edited by rhodders, 09 October 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#375 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

http://www.walesrugb...ully-join-wales

Frizell could be fit to join the world cup squad. Great news if he makes it.

It'd be a huge boost if Frizell can get himself fit... Could be a key player for our campaign.

#376 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

I ended up buying a ticket for the Wales vs USA game having thought I couldn't make it. Looking forward to it having never been to Wrexham before (going to the QF as well).

#377 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ramada Plaza Wrexham aides Wales’ bid for Rugby League World Cup 2013 glory

Ramada Plaza Wrexham has become the latest local business to #GetBehindWales at Rugby League World Cup 2013.The hotel will host the Wales squad ahead of their match against the USA Tomahawks on Sunday November 3rd at the Racecourse Stadium.

Wrexham will host two matches at the global sporting event of 2013. As well as Wales’ game against USA, the famous stadium will also be the venue for the Quarter Final clash between the winners of Group A & D – a potential blockbuster showdown which could feature Wales vs. either Australia or England.

Staff at the Ramada are now busy making final preparations ahead of the squad’s arrival at the end of the month.

Wales Team Manager Bob Wilson said: “The support we’ve had from the both the North Wales public and businesses has been second to none and we’re delighted to be teaming up with the Ramada Plaza Wrexham for Rugby League World Cup 2013.

“The hotel’s excellent facilities and proximity to the stadium made the Ramada the ideal choice for our time here in Wrexham. Iestyn Harris and the squad have used the Ramada in the past and commented on how friendly and accommodating the staff are on every occasion.

“The team are very excited to be playing in Wrexham during the Rugby League World Cup 2013 and staying at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham will provide us with the best possible preparation ahead of the USA game on November 3rd.

Kirsty Clark from Ramada Plaza Wrexham said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to host Wales during the Rugby League World Cup 2013. We have enjoyed hosting the squad in the past and we hope to play a big part in their bid for glory.

“We understand the importance of ensuring that the players are well rested and we have worked closely with the teams strength and conditioning coach to maintain the players essential dietary requirements. Our care of all the players will be second to none.

“The fact that we will have world class athletes staying at our hotel is a glowing endorsement of our facilities and we will be cheering on Wales when they take on USA at the Racecourse on Sunday 3rdNovember.”

Cllr Neil Rogers, Leader of Wrexham Council said: “We are now less than a month away from Rugby League World Cup 2013 arriving in Wrexham and you can sense the excitement around the town.

“We saw the kind of impact Team Lesotho had when they stayed in Wrexham during their pre-Olympics training camp last year and we’re hoping the Wales Rugby League Squad will create a huge buzz during their stay in Wrexham.

“A big part of our successful bid to host matches at Rugby League World Cup 2013 was based around community engagement. The Wales squad will take part in an open training session at Queensway Stadium and their will be other opportunities for fans and school children to meet the players during their time in North Wales.

“Iestyn Harris and his squad will be guaranteed a warm welcome during their time in Wrexham and we look forward to seeing the team in action at the Racecourse Stadium.”

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 10 October 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#378 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Head coach Clive Griffiths and assistant John Fieldhouse are both fully committed to North Wales Crusaders’ cause for life in the Championship in 2014.

The two former Warrington servants – who acted as a coach and player respectively at the Wire – have masterminded the progress of Crusaders since their formation back in late 2011, which has seen them gain promotion from Championship One in only their second year as well as securing the inaugural Northern Rail Bowl.

And Griffiths is excited to get going next season in what he describes as “another step forward in the right direction”.

“I think everyone’s looking forward to it”, he said. “It’s probably a bit ahead of scheduele from what we originally set out at the very start, but we’ll certainly take it.

“Everyone has seen the step up that the Championship is with the Northern Rail Cup final, which was after our final, and then the Finals Day last weekend.

“But we’re well equiped to deal with that and, if the boys continue to progress as they have done in the last two years, then we’ll be just fine.

“Obviously we’re going to have to strengthen in certain areas, but the players that have played for us in the last two years deserve to have their chance at this level.”

The coaching staff is a formula which has certainly worked so far for Crusaders – and Griffiths believes that continuity in that area is key as the club move forward.

“Chris Middlehurst won’t be involved as heavily next year, but it’s important that we keep the players together and then the coaching staff to go with it”, he said.

“It’s important to have continuity rather than swapping and changing things all the while; we’ve seen the effect that that can have with other sports.

“The task ahead is going to be tough – but I’m pretty confident that, all together, we’ll be able to mix it with the best.”

#379 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

North Wales Crusaders are pleased to present their Season Ticket choices for 2014! 2014 Season Tickets will include all 13 home games. Once again we are able to offer you the chance to take advantage of our ‘Early Bird’ prices.

To take advantage of the ‘Early Bird’ offer tickets need to be purchased prior to Dec 18th 2013. We are also able to offer you the chance to spread your payments with an installment option.

With a break from tradition North Wales Crusaders for 2014 are delighted to offer FREE season tickets to all youngsters. If you are 15 and under as of Jan 1st 2014 you will be entitled to a FREE season ticket. As detailed in our 2014 goals we hope this will encourage and grow support across the region. The FREE season tickets must be registered for through a season ticket application form.

For 2014 we have set a target to sell over 400 Season Tickets. We think the prices represent great value for money.

Here are our season ticket prices for 2014!

Ticket Early Bird Price

Before Dec 18th 2013 Normal Price

After Dec 18th 2013 Adult £145 £169 Child FREE FREE Concession & Student £99 £119 Family 2+2 £290 £290 Family 2+1 £290 £290 Family 1+1 £145 £145

In addition to our Season Ticket package we have the option for you to join our SQUAD BUILDER FUND. Our SQUAD BUILDER FUND will help North Wales Crusaders build for our Future.

As a member of the Squad Builder Fund you will receive a limited edition training top, access to all NWC Championship League games online, 3 x presentations / Q&A from the club throughout the season, access to the Rugby Lounge on home match days and the centenary Club after the game and a discount on the End of Season Awards. You will be able to register for the Squad Builder on the Season Ticket application form at only £5.99 a month.

The Squad Builder Fund is critical to make us competitive on the pitch in 2014. So we urge all of you who want to see our competitive entertaining style of rugby continue to sign up and support Squad Builder.

Season tickets offer great value for money and fall in line with what’s on offer from the other clubs in the Championship. Match Day Prices will be;

Adult £14
Concessions £9
Children £5
U’7’s FREE

Season tickets will be available online from Monday 14th Oct. You will also be able to download a form to complete and send into the office or collect an application form from the Sports centre at Glyndwr. Completed Season Ticket forms can be sent into North Wales Crusaders, Suite 3 Bryn Estyn Business Centre, Wrexham, LL13 9TY. You will be able to note your seat preference on all forms of application. Seat choices will be distributed on a loyalty basis (if the seat was bought by you in 2013, then on a first come first served basis).

Please note this year there are designated family areas and a ‘Crazy Cru’ zone for the more vocal amongst you who wish to be together to sing.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 10 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#380 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Crusaders highly rated stars including Captain Andy Moulsdale, Stuart Reardon and Jono Smith have all signed on the dotted line for Crusaders as they head in to their 2014 campaign in the Kingstone Press Championship.

All three were influential in Crusaders’ double winning side of 2013 – who collected both the Championship One crown and inaugural Northern Rail Bowl – and were amongst the first that head coach Clive Griffiths wanted to sign up for next term.

The majority of the 2013 squad are hoped to stay for the inaugural season, supplemented by some new blood to make the squad even more competitive.

Head Coach Clive Griffiths said “These boys were fantastic for us last year and are more than capable of making the step up next year. they rightly attracted a lot of attention from other clubs, including the Super League, so to have secured their signature for next year is testament to how committed they are to the club. I’m pretty pleased with how the recruiting is going to be honest but the most important first step was to lock down the boys from last year.”

Chief Executive Jamie Thomas said on new signings “We pleased we got some new contracts signed and locked away of players coming to the Racec0urse for the first time as North Wales Crusaders players. For one reason or another we can’t start to release those names for another few days, but rest assured we’ve brought in some real quality on the way. But I think everyone will be delighted with the players who decided to stay on, which we’ll release the full list of over the next couple of days.”

http://www.northwale...shape-for-2014/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users