• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#21 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

University of Glamorgan hammer Loughborough to reach Final

Well done to the University of Glamorgan who this afternoon hammered Loughborough 70-6 to reach next Tuesday's BUCS Final in Leeds.
The side coached by South Wales Scorpions and Wales International Hooker Steve Parry and also contained Scorpions' first team squad members Osian Phillips and Mike Connor along with academy players Dan Parry and Owain Davies.
We wish them all the best in next week's final, their second in as many years.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 13 March 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#22 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

A GREAT EVENING WITH IESTYN

14th March 2013, 13:47
WALES Rugby League's brand new coach development programme get off to a great start on Wednesday night (March 13) at the University of Glamorgan, Treforest, with over thirty coaches from across the game attending the inaugural session with national head coach Iestyn Harris.

Coaches were taken through a workshop on the principles of attack in rugby league by Iestyn and given an insight into the key points of the game and relating this to the level they are coaching at.

With sessions planned throughout 2013 it was great to see coaches at all levels taking such a keen interest in their development and utilising the opportunity to work closely with the national head coach. Head of Performance Dan Clements said "We are really pleased with how the programme has started and its encouraging to see coaches engaging and learning from Iestyn in such an environment. With plenty of sessions planned for the year I encourage all coaches to get along to a session as they are an excellent way to pick up some new ideas"

With the next session planned for North Wales in April, all coaches are encouraged to keep checking the website for information.

#23 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Good stuff from the WRL.

rldfsignature.jpg

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Good stuff from the WRL.

It's good that they organise their own programmes obviouly concentrating totally on RL in Wales rather than being an afterthought at Red Hall.

#25 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

It's good that they organise their own programmes obviouly concentrating totally on RL in Wales rather than being an afterthought at Red Hall.

Aren't the WRL a separate entity to the RFL and as such are in charge of their own destiny?

rldfsignature.jpg

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Aren't the WRL a separate entity to the RFL and as such are in charge of their own destiny?

Yes, I think they are but they didn't used to be and that's the point I am making. They are better off running their own thing purely for Wales than prior to the establishment of the independent Wales RL.

#27 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

ON PARADE FOR WELSH SCHOOLBOYS

AS the annual Easter test match against England Youth draws nearer, this weekend saw the Wales Schoolboys attend an overnight camp in Chester at the home of the 1st Battalion the Royal Welsh (Royal Welch Fusiliers). With the stay hosted at their barracks in Chester the squad got to sample army life whilst also getting in valuable preparation as a squad ready for April 6th.

As well as spending time on the barracks the squad also got the opportunity to train at the Wigan Warriors training ground in Orrell whilst gaining extra coaching from the Warriors staff during a training session.

With the test match drawing nearer the camp gave the coaching staff the opportunity to work with the players on an intensive basis whilst also allowing them to educate them around other areas of becoming a professional player. This included subjects such as planning for improvement and diet and nutrition.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 24 March 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#28 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Neath Rugby and South Wales Scorpions are breaking down further barriers between the two rugby codes by having a unique joint match programme for “Derby Weekend at The Gnoll”.
The programme is thought to be a first for rugby in Wales and very rare for anywhere in the world.
The big weekend in Neath sees three matches in two days.
First, on Easter Sunday, Neath take on Aberavon Wizards in Welsh Rugby Union’s biggest and most fierce club derby (kick-off 2.30pm).
Then on Easter Monday, there’s a double header of Rugby League when South Wales Scorpions face North Wales Crusaders (kick-off 3pm) before the second annual big city South Wales university challenge match between Cardiff Met and Swansea (kick-off 5.15pm).
The 48-page souvenir special, which includes articles and squad news on all three matches will still be on sale for the bargain price of just £2.
However, as a sell-out for this programme is expected, fans are able to pre-order a copy online at www.scorpionsrl.com and www.neathrugby.co.uk for just £3 including postage and packing. Orders will be taken up to 9am on Thursday morning and will be posted first class by Thursday evening.
Phil Davies, the chairman of both the Scorpions and Neath, said: “We’re delighted to making history once again here in Neath. “Derby Weekend at The Gnoll” is set to be a big occasion on both Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, especially with Monday’s Scorpions v Crusaders game being screened live on Premier Sports in the UK and around the world via Setanta Sports.
“We think this is unique for Welsh rugby to have a joint programme for rugby union and rugby league. We think Harlequins in London may have done this once upon a time but we don’t know of any other occasions. This fantastic souvenir will just add to what will be an exciting weekend at The Gnoll.”
Admission to each game costs £12 for the main stand for adults with reductions for concessions and juniors.

#29 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

North Wales Crusaders are on the hunt for locations to position banners in an attempt to spread the word about forthcoming fixtures.
The club recently had an application for signage on the Plas Coch roundabout in Wrexham turned down and, whilst an amended application is going to be submitted to the planning committee, Crusaders are hoping to add different banner sites to further promote the games.
CEO Jamie Thomas said: “Marketing these fixtures as best we can is vitally important to us this season. We’ve had a fantastic start to 2013 and have been undefeated in pre-season and North Rail games this year, which bodes well and we want to get as many people in to support the boys on the pitch and the club in general.”
“We’ve got a detailed marketing strategy based around schools and community activity, but we really want to ramp up the big outdoor awareness opportunities. Hopefully our signage application for the Plas Coch roundabout will be successful now it’s been amended, but banner sites would be a major help.
“Obviously we would like anyone with access to prominent locations, maybe knows a friendly farmer who’d allow us to put a banner up in advance of each game for four or five days to come forward so we can get as much awareness as possible.”
So if you have an ideal location, whether that’s off the A55 or in the centre of town, and you feel it is a good location to publicise North Wales Crusaders, get in touch at info@crusadersrfl.com.
Banners will need to be in place from Wednesday to Sunday leading up to home fixtures.

#30 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Gareth Thomas will make another return to North Wales when he attends the World Cup corporate launch as headline guest at the Ramada Plaza Hotel, Wrexham on April 4.

Last year Alfie starred in the Aladdin pantomime in Wrexham, but this time he will be back on the rugby scene as he looks to promote the much-anticipated World Cup.
Wrexham will play host to Wales’ group game against the USA and a mouth-watering quarter-final which could see Wales take on England or Australia.
North Wales Crusaders Commercial Manager Hanna Clarke said: “We are excited to be part of the Rugby League World Cup 2013 and are thrilled to have Gareth Thomas, as one of the RLWC ambassadors, here with us in Wrexham to promote the games which take place in November 2013.”
“The RLWC is a great way to support and promote rugby league and Wrexham.”
Anna Marie Brown, Sports Manager for Glyndwr, is another who is excited about what the World Cup will bring to the town.
“Glyndŵr University is proud and excited about the arrival of two RLWC matches at the Racecourse Stadium in November this year”, she said.
“The matches have allowed the University with partners to employ a Rugby League Community Coach to develop community rugby league, which will attribute to the legacy of rugby league in the region.
“We hope this will allow expansion of youth teams and future FE and HE academies so a player development avenue is available to all talented players in North Wales.
“This international extravaganza can only engage the future generation of potential rugby league players and we hope that we are able to capture that energy and positive development here at the University.”
This is a business/corporate launch and anyone wishing to attend should contact Hanna Clarke on hanna.clarke@crusadersrfl.com by March 29, clearly stating their business in order to register. Places are limited so you should act quickly to make sure you’re there.

#31 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

great to see wrexham council support the world cup, this is why we need a big presence in wales, since the barriers were taken down by the WRU our great game has been able to flourish in the principality......i really hope wales finish in the top 6 in the world cup to capture the imagination of the welsh public even more...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#32 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Wales v England then Scorpions v Doncaster

Come to The Gnoll on Saturday for a fantastic double header of Rugby League action.

WALES Schoolboys coach Dave Clark is confident the national team can give England Youth a real battle when they clash head-on at The Gnoll, Neath, on Saturday (April 6. kick-off: 2pm).

Wales have never beaten England at this age group level although they got to within six points of them two years ago when they battled back from 18-0 down to lose 24-18.

The English come into the match having lost and then beaten France in the past week, the victory coming on Tuesday at Wakefield where they won 42-16.

For Wales, this will be their opening game of the year but Clark said that preparations have gone well in their Chester camp and the team are focused on success.

He said: “You have to look at what England have done against France and that we are going into our first Test this season but it will be a good challenge for us.

“The boys are spending quality time together now as a squad, we will be travelling down on Friday to stay in Cardiff and then going to the game on Saturday where we expect a great Welsh welcome.

“The boys know they are representing their country and putting on the Welsh jersey for the first time in rugby league. It will be a big responsibility on their shoulders and they will learn a lot from the experience.

“We are under no illusions that this will be a challenge for us and we know we have to be on top form to compete with some of the best young players, who are probably going onto Super League, in the country.”

#33 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Craig Kopczak has spoken of his honour at being named Wales captain, and his desire to lead the nation to glory at Rugby League World Cup 2013.
The Dragons will play a major role in the RLWC2013 Opening Ceremony at the Millennium Stadium on October 26.
They face European rivals Italy, while England’s clash with arch-rivals Australia will complete a mouth-watering double-header.
And Kopczak has admitted it’d be a dream come true to lead the team out on such a big occasion.
“I’ll definitely be putting my hand up to play for Wales this autumn. Being the Wales captain is a huge honour and I really want to do the position proud at Rugby League World Cup 2013,” Kopczak told RLWC2013.com.
“It’s a tremendous honour. There are some great candidates for the role out there so I was truly taken aback to receive the call.
“The Wales coach Iestyn Harris thought the time was right for me to have it and it’s an unbelievable feeling. I definitely see it as a major highlight of my career.”
Kopczak has enjoyed a strong start to the new Super League season with Huddersfield Giants, having made the switch from Bradford Bulls during the close-season.
“I’m concentrating on the Super League at the moment but if I can take some great form with me into the World Cup, and I’m sure the other players in the team will be seeking the same,” he said.
“There are plenty of strong candidates for selection in that 17, and I’m hoping that all of the Welsh-qualified lads can produce their best form this year.
“Nobody’s place is guaranteed, and that includes me as captain. My form for Huddersfield this year will play a big part and I want to head into the end of the season playing my best football.”
Kopczak has previously played at the Millennium Stadium for old club Bradford, but he believes stepping out on the turf in national colours will be a whole new experience.
“It’s an amazing stadium to experience. It was the derby against Leeds and a memorable occasion, but to play for your home nation there, and to lead them out in the Opening Ceremony for RLWC2013 would be a truly exciting experience.
“It’d be another highlight of my career and an ambition I really want to achieve. It’d be my first time playing for Wales at the Millennium Stadium, and it’s definitely a box I want to tick.”
Wales have been drawn alongside USA and Cook Islands in Group C.
Just one team will qualify out of the pool and progress to the quarter-final stage, but Kopczak is confident about the team’s chances.
“I think we’ve got a great chance of progressing. It’s a great opportunity for us and I think if we can play to a consistent level then we’ll surprise a few people.
“It is going to be tough but we just need to knuckle down, and if everyone enjoys strong seasons at club level then I think we can really progress as a nation this year.
“We’ll gel together and give it our all.”
Wales face Italy at the Millennium Stadium on October 26, USA at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham on November 3 and Cook Islands at The Gnoll, Neath, on October 10.

#34 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Gareth Thomas urges Wrexham to get behind Rugby League World Cup

Rugby legend Gareth Thomas has urged Wrexham to show its support for the Rugby League World Cup as the town prepares to take the global stage.

The former dual-code Welsh international returned to the town this week as part of his role as a Rugby League World Cup Ambassador. 

The Glyndwr University Racecourse Ground will stage the Group D encounter between Wales and USA on Sunday, November 3 before they host a quarter-final tie on Saturday, November 16. 

Thomas, a veteran of four World Cups, is no stranger to Wrexham having spent two years with the Crusaders. 

He spoke about his time at Wrexham with great affection and hopes the town will get behind the major sporting spectacle. 

“This is a massive opportunity for the town because the eyes of the world will be watching Wrexham,” Thomas said. 

“A sporting event like this attracts global attention and it is an important occasion for everybody who cares about Wrexham, and cares about the growth of Wrexham.

“The people of Wrexham need to come out in force and make it a day, which can hopefully be remembered for the result, but also more.

“I truly believe Wrexham, as far as sport goes, is a sleeping giant and I hope the Rugby League World Cup coming here will wake it up. From my time playing here, certainly amongst the younger generation, a lot of pope that aspire to be in touch with their heroes and see them for real, not just on TV.”

Thomas has built a successful career away from the rugby field since retiring. But he hopes he can give the Welsh team a boost in his role as the tournament ambassador.

“I would love to play but my days of wishing to play, the realisation, are gone,” he said.

“The good thing is that I can still be involved in making it a great day. I can’t have an effect on Wales winning or losing, I have come to terms with that, but I can have an effect on hopefully making it the best possible circumstance for them to win.

“The responsibility of playing for your country and helping them win or lose is massive, this responsibility of giving them (the players) the environment to be able to win and enjoy the occasion, and not only for them but the children and spectators, is maybe bigger.”

#35 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

WALES SCHOOLBOYS 18 ENGLAND YOUTH 22

By Gary Baker

WALES came within five minutes of a first ever win over England at under-16 level. But prop Jake Campbell saved the English bacon and gave them a second win in three matches over the past few weeks.

It was hard luck on the Welsh team who were 16 points down within the opening 12 minutes and heading for a serious beating only to fight back and nearly cause an upset at The Gnoll, Neath.

England took just four minutes to get their noses in front when captain Aaron Smith went driving over for a try which scrum-half Lewis Fairhurst converted.

Then second row Jordan Lane barged his way past the Welsh defensive tackles in the left corner for England's second try before stand-off James Brown dashed down the middle and rounded the last defender to cross under the posts, making Fairhurst's conversion simple.

That, though, was the last time England crossed the Welsh line until a final flourish saw them stave off a shock defeat. Wales woke up and gave England a rough time before the break, which could not come quick enough for Stuart Barrow's visitors.

The home crowd roared as the fightback started with a dazzling try from stand-off Morgan Knowles, who converted his own touchdown. He strode away from forty metres after winger Regan Grace slipped past the English defence on half-way.

Big Welsh forward Lloyd Bodman made himself a nuisance all afternoon and was held-up when over the line twice in the second period.

It was from a drive inches from the line by Bodman that interchange Alex King played the ball and found the smallest of gap to dummy and dive over the line.

That unconverted try Wales six points adrift and with the momentum to add even more points. The whistle of referee Craig Kay was a welcome relief for Barrow and his side and a showstopper for home coach Dave Clark.

England could have regrouped and hit back in the second-half but Wales did not read the script. Instead, after one attack which came close to and English try, they battered at the door, forcing their opponents into numerous errors.

Eventually, Wales breached the defence when wing Zac Williams scored the try of the match. England were metres from the Welsh line when they lost the ball, Williams picked up and pinned his ears back a full ninety metres from the try-line.

He burst his lungs and looked likely to be hauled down by chasing Jack Etchells but one last effort saw Williams over the line.

Then Wales were ahead as full-back Ben Jones found his way past four defenders from five metres to go over and give his country a 18-16 lead with five minutes left.

There was one last twist, though, as the home fans looked to celebrate. Wing Roshane Johnson penetrated in the Welsh 25 and gave a pass inside for Campbell's converted try that broke home hearts and sent England home with a relieving smile on their face.

Scorers: Wales: Tries: Morgan Knowles, Alex King, Zac Williams, Ben Jones. Con: Morgan Knowles.

England: Tries: Aaron Smith, Jordan Lane, James Brown, Jake Campbell. Cons: Lewis Fairhurst (3).

#36 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

27 South Wales born players star at The Gnoll

South Wales Scorpions coach Dave Clark was disappointed to have had two defeats at The Gnoll in Neath on his 42nd birthday on Saturday but continues to be proud of the young Welsh talent coming through the Rugby League system in Wales.

Clark was in charge of Wales under 16s who lost 22-18 to England then his regular South Wales Scorpions side who lost 52-22 to Doncaster in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup.

But Clark is proud of the Rugby League development in Wales. The Scorpions had 13 South Wales born players line up for them while the Wales under 16 side contained 14 players from the South Wales Academy.

Reflecting on the Doncaster defeat he said: “The scoreline was flattering for them. We played better than what the score indicated. At times their strength was too much for us on one and one situations and that took its toll after a while.

“But I couldn’t fault the commitment from our defence and their attitude. It was always going to be tough today. In the second half we completed 15 out of 17 sets and if that was a Championship 1 game, we’d have won.

“I was proud of them again today. Thirteen Welsh born and bred lads against one of the best sides outside of Super League and we score four tries. We’re improving, even though the scoreline from Saturday doesn’t show that.”

Clark was additionally pleased at the number of South Wales based players in the Wales under 16 side. But he knows how unfortunate they were not to win. For the third time in five years, Wales under 16s lost to England on conversions. England kicked three successful goals to Wales’ one and that was the sole difference between the sides.

“We were unlucky to lose,” he said. “Down 16-0 after 20 minutes, having the attitude to keep going and then be in front with four minutes to go.

“All of the England side were selected from Super League Academy players and most of the Wales players were from our Academy down here, virtually all of whom were in a side that beat Salford City Reds the week before. It shows that the pathway here is working and in the next two or three years we’re going to see a lot come through to the Scorpions first team.

“What we’re doing down in South Wales is so positive and the pathway there is working. We just want to make sure that we keep them in the system and we’ll flourish for it.”

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 10 April 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#37 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

2013-world-cup.jpg

200 days until the World Cup opens

April 9th 2013 marks 200 days to go until the World Cup opens here in South Wales, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff with England v Australia and Wales v Italy.

The matches will be a key part of Rugby League World Cup 2013, the next big sporting event in the UK after the Olympics.

RLWC2013 is the pinnacle of Rugby League and will see New Zealand try to defend their title against the big guns of Australia and co-tournament hosts England and Wales.

Tickets are already on sale and are selling well. With prices for 55% of the tournament at £20 or less and the cheapest tickets for this game at just £10 (£5 concessions) this is also an affordable event on the doorsteps of local fans.

#38 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Andy Powell: Sale star to switch codes and join Wigan

Sale's Andy Powell will switch codes at the end of the season to join Super League side Wigan, according to Sharks director of rugby Steve Diamond.

Diamond had hoped to keep the 31-year-old Wales international forward, who has been with Sale since May 2011, at the Salford City Stadium.

But he told BBC Radio Manchester: "Andy won't be with us next year.

"He's signed for Wigan for three years, although I don't know the in-depth details of the contract."

The Warriors, who are currently top of Super League, have yet to confirm any deal for Powell has been completed and declined to comment when contacted by BBC Radio Manchester on Tuesday.

Steve Diamond

It was time for both parties to move away and, fortunately for Andy, he's got a contract now in rugby league that will see him through the remainder of his career

Speaking after Sunday's victory against Wakefield, Wigan's assistant coach Iestyn Harris said: "I don't know anything about that. It would be great for Wales but, as for him coming to Wigan, I don't know anything."

Powell, who toured South Africa with the British and Irish Lions in 2009 and won the last of his 23 caps for Wales in February 2012, has played a key role in Sale's recent return to form.

Could Powell make an Impact at Rugby League World Cup 2013 for Wales?

#39 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Could Powell make an Impact at Rugby League World Cup 2013 for Wales?

How poor would it make RL in Wales look if a former Welsh RU international walks straight into the WC squad after a handful of league matches?

rldfsignature.jpg

#40 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

How poor would it make RL in Wales look if a former Welsh RU international walks straight into the WC squad after a handful of league matches?

Gareth Thomas played for Wales in 2010 in his first season in the game. He even captained them for one match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users