Others Worth a Mention - Ben Evans, Gil Dudson, Rhodri Lloyd, Jacob Emmit

Never know what else could happen!!! :rolleyes:  Bring on RLWC2013

#62 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Looks like a useful little team !

Is Gareth Thomas doing anything yet to promote RLWC 2013? Wasn't he to be a RLWC 2013 "ambassador" ?

#63 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

6512.jpg HISTORY IN THE MAKING THIS FRIDAY

On Friday 26th of April, at The Gnoll, Neath, Wales Rugby League will make history by playing all five Champion Schools finals at the same venue. The event promises to be a spectacular day for spectators and players alike.

The Carnegie Champions Schools continues to be the flagship competition for the development of grassroots rugby league in Wales. The 2012/2013 season has seen 65 secondary schools and a 145 teams enter the Welsh regional rounds from Year 7 to 6th Form age grades. Each regional winner progressed to the knockout stages with the top two meeting in the Welsh finals and both finalists progressing to the UK National rounds.

The Year 7 final will see Ystlafera take on Cwm Rhymni for the Welsh Title, these schools have a great rivalry in this tournament. In 2012, their Year 10’s met in the first all Welsh UK semi- final which doubled as the Welsh Final where Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Ystalyfera beat fellow Welsh speaking school Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni 42-18, Ystalyfera also took the Year 7 Welsh title that year beating Cwm Rhymni 28 – 14. Cwm Rhymni will be out for revenge and have progressed to the last 8 of the UK competition beating Ryburn Valley from Yorkshire 38-18.

Cwm Rhymni will then contest the Year 8 final with St Josephs(Port Talbot), Cwm Rhymni will be out to go one further and take the title that eluded them in the final in 2012, but St Joseph’s will have other ideas. Both sides performed gallantly in their UK rounds, and this promises to be a mouth-watering fixture.

The next final will again see Ystalyfera play Lewis Boys in the Year 10 Welsh Final. Lewis Boys having been playing rugby league at school for 3 years. In 2011 they won the year 11 Welsh title and got to the last 8 of the British cup. This season the Year 10 have beaten St Josephs(Newport) former British Champions 2011 and reigning Welsh Champions, Croesyceiliog and Afon Taf in the East Regional and went on to beat Cwm Rhymni in the Welsh semi- final.

The penultimate match will feature St Joseph’s(Newport) versus Pencoed in the Year 9 final. Pencoed will start the game as favourites as they are reigning Year 8 Welsh Champions and are through to the last 8 of the UK National round. St Josephs will be out to burst their bubble and will be very well drilled by a Stefan Sankala a previous winner of the RFL teacher of the year 2011.

The concluding match of this extraordinary day will be the Year 11 final, where St John’s(Aberdare) will battle it out with Strady(Llanelli) for the converted crown. Both schools are new to the game and competition but have impressed in their regional and semi-finals, beating the pre-tournament favourites on their march to the Gnoll.

Wales Rugby League would like to invite you to this fantastic event to see the next generation of players perform to the highest standards.

Welsh Finals Timetable

Year 7 Cwm Rhymni v Ystalaferra Kick-Off 10.30am

Year 8 St Joseph’s v Cwm Rhymni Kick-Off – 11.45am

Year 10 Lewis Boys v Ystalaferra Kick-Off – 1.00pm

Year 9 Pencoed v St Josephs(Newport) Kick-Off – 2.15pm

Year 11St Johns v Strady Kick-Off – 3.30pm

#64 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Get your final tickets now! And Crusaders will receive cash back…
http://www.mission20...lash-ad_CRM.jpg

You can now purchase your tickets for the Northern Rail Cup Finals Day, when both the Northern Rail Cup Final and Bowl Final will take place, directly from the club.

After last night’s 36-24 victory over Hemel Stags, North Wales secured their place in the inaugural Bowl Final at The Shay, Halifax later in July.

Crusaders have been allocated tickets in the West Stand Central Area at £15 for adults and £10 for concessions.

The club will receive 50% cash back on any sales made by Wednesday 26 June, so as well as enjoying a spectacular Finals Day, you will also help the club out at the same time.

Anyone wishing to take advantage of these offers should contact the club on 08432 896 407 or info@crusadersrfl.com. You will receive a voucher from the club and then your ticket will be sent to you from the RFL in plenty of time for the Finals Day.

#65 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Local boy Massam launches Rugby League World Cup 2013 diary

For one person, playing in the Rugby League World Cup 2013 in Wrexham will be a dream come true.

Local boy Rob Massam has enjoyed a meteoric rise since making his debut for the North Wales Crusaders in 2012

In just two short years he has gone from playing amateur rugby to representing Wales on the international stage.

And now Massam, 25, who lives near Moss Valley, is looking to live every boy’s dream by playing for his country at RLWC2013.

The powerful winger has been in scintillating form for the Crusaders, finishing as the club’s top try scorer last season and leading the way this year with 8 so far..

His exploits have already caught the eye of Wales coach Iestyn Harris, who handed Massam his international debut against France in 2012.

And with Wales due to play USA at the Racecourse Ground on Sunday November 3, Massam bid to make the squad will be chronicled with his ‘Rugby League World Cup Diary’ on the Wrexham Council website.

“If I were to only get one more cap for Wales then it would be here at the Racecourse,” he said

“To play for my country in, front of my home crowd, in front of my friends and family, would be incredible. They were all gutted that I didn’t play here against England last year so it would be a huge honour to play for Wales here in Wrexham, especially at RLWC2013.

“The fans here are amazing. They make a lot of noise so if we can get more people in the ground for the USA game then the atmosphere will be incredible.”

On making his debut for Wales, Massam added: “It was unreal - I can’t believe it actually happened. To think that in less than two years I went from playing amateur Rugby League with Chester Gladiators to turning out for Wales was crazy. It still hasn’t sunk in really.

“What made it even more surreal was that I used to see these guys train when I worked at Total Fitness and now I am playing alongside them for Wales. I was really nervous because these were big time professional players, but they were a decent bunch of lads who have really helped me along. Playing for Wales was the best experience of my life.

"Hopefully I can bring that experience to the Crusaders this season and prove that I’m good enough to play at RLWC2013.”

And Massam’s rapid rise from amateur to fully-fledged international has been made all the more remarkable by the fact that he juggles playing for the Crusaders with his day job as a personal trainer.

He said: “Being a personal trainer certainly helps with my fitness. A lot of the guys playing for the Crusaders have other jobs. I have a lot of respect for them because they work long, long hours before coming to training. I do work long hours but I enjoy my job and I have enough time to get a few hours of extra training in.

“But it is hard to juggle everything. We might finish training late one evening and I have to be up to see a client at 6am the following day. But the fact that I enjoy what I do helps with the early starts!”

Starting on Wednesday May 1, you can follow Rob’s bid to make the Wales Squad with his ‘World Cup’ diary online at www.wrexham.gov.uk.

Tickets for Wales vs. USA are available by calling 0844 847 2013 (24hrs) or online at www.rlwc2013.com/tickets .

#66 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Gareth Thomas urges Wrexham to get behind Rugby League World Cup

Rugby legend Gareth Thomas has urged Wrexham to show its support for the Rugby League World Cup as the town prepares to take the global stage.

The former dual-code Welsh international returned to the town this week as part of his role as a Rugby League World Cup Ambassador.

The Glyndwr University Racecourse Ground will stage the Group D encounter between Wales and USA on Sunday, November 3 before they host a quarter-final tie on Saturday, November 16.

Thomas, a veteran of four World Cups, is no stranger to Wrexham having spent two years with the Crusaders.

He spoke about his time at Wrexham with great affection and hopes the town will get behind the major sporting spectacle.

“This is a massive opportunity for the town because the eyes of the world will be watching Wrexham,” Thomas said.

“A sporting event like this attracts global attention and it is an important occasion for everybody who cares about Wrexham, and cares about the growth of Wrexham.

“The people of Wrexham need to come out in force and make it a day, which can hopefully be remembered for the result, but also more.

“I truly believe Wrexham, as far as sport goes, is a sleeping giant and I hope the Rugby League World Cup coming here will wake it up. From my time playing here, certainly amongst the younger generation, a lot of pope that aspire to be in touch with their heroes and see them for real, not just on TV.”

Thomas has built a successful career away from the rugby field since retiring. But he hopes he can give the Welsh team a boost in his role as the tournament ambassador.

“I would love to play but my days of wishing to play, the realisation, are gone,” he said.

“The good thing is that I can still be involved in making it a great day. I can’t have an effect on Wales winning or losing, I have come to terms with that, but I can have an effect on hopefully making it the best possible circumstance for them to win.

“The responsibility of playing for your country and helping them win or lose is massive, this responsibility of giving them (the players) the environment to be able to win and enjoy the occasion, and not only for them but the children and spectators, is maybe bigger.”

Looks like a useful little team !

Is Gareth Thomas doing anything yet to promote RLWC 2013? Wasn't he to be a RLWC 2013 "ambassador" ?

#67 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Widnes utility forward Ben Davies has joined Championship 1 side South Wales Scorpions on a one-month loan deal.

The 23-year-old has made one substitute appearance this season for the Vikings and coach Denis Betts feels he will benefit from the game time the Scorpions can offer.

"Being too old to feature in the U19s competition, Ben found himself at a bit of a crossroads and with nowhere to play," said Betts.

"He's now in a position to get some games under his belt, and receive some quality coaching while he's there."

Davies, who came through the junior ranks at Wigan, could make his debut for the Scorpions against Rochdale Hornets on 28 April.

He is contracted to Widnes until the end of the 2013 Super League season and has made 42 appearances for the club overall, during which he has scored six tries.

#68 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

WALES RUGBY LEAGUE WELCOME THAIR

WALES Rugby League has appointed Chris Thair as Chief Operating Officer, a key appointment in the build up to the 2013 World Cup.

Thair joins the WRL following over a decades service at the Rugby Football League in senior executive positions across the community and professional arms of the sport, most recently as Salary Cap and Licensing Manager.

This is such an exciting period to be joining Wales Rugby League due to the growing popularity of the sport and it being World Cup year” said Thair.

I wish to build upon much of the positive work that has taken place in recent years and I’m excited by the challenge ahead in moving forward the business of the National Governing Body and, most importantly, the sport for this very proud nation”.

After joining the RFL from London Broncos RLFC in 2001, Thair was a hugely influential figure in the sports community department which moved from having a handful of staff and very little budget to being awarded £29m early in 2009. Within this period Chris had progressed to the position of a national community manager; Thair then moved over to the professional game as Club Support Manager, working with all of the Super League and Championships clubs and their charitable foundations. Having helped to develop a number of the clubs partner charitable foundations,

Thair is credited with the idea of Rugby League Cares, a new central umbrella charity linked to the RFL. Thair was also integral to the recent Championship review which resulted in major changes to tier 2 of the playing pyramid with the introduction of new clubs, a change to central distributions and the introduction of a new cup final for Championship One teams. Having previously worked with David Waite in the Performance department and playing a central role in Super League Licensing, Thair’s experience will be a strong addition to WRL.

WRL Chairman Brian Juliff welcomed Thair saying “We are delighted Chris has accepted this new role because we believe his experience will prove to be invaluable in progressing our governance and delivery. We believe he is going to be a great asset to WRL”.

His role will see him joining the WRL Board as an Executive Director working with WRL Chairman Brian Juliff in a crucial year as Wales play in the Rugby League World Cup in October plus other World Cups at Wheelchair and Student level.

#69 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Scorpions boss delighted over double Rochdale win

South Wales Scorpions coach Dave Clark was delighted with his first team and under 20s last weekend after both sides turned over Rochdale Hornets.

The first team won a dramatic game 30-28 at The Gnoll when the winning try was scored with just five seconds left on the clock and the conversion kicked after the hooter sounded, while the reserves won 28-20 at Rochdale after twice being behind in the game.

For the first team, it was their inaugural win at home this season, and this after winning all their away games, so Clark was extra happy to claim all three points.

“It was a great result for us and it keeps us in touch with the competition at the top of the table,” he said. “It was our first home win for the season so I hope the support lifts now and the Rugby League fans in South Wales rally behind these boys as they’re all working hard.

“We had a good first half but we knew we didn’t had enough points to win the game. We gave them a lot of field opportunities from about 30 minutes in, with dropped balls and opportunities to score tries and we knew they had the calibre of player to do just that.

“We made too many mistakes and they capitalised on that with three good tries. But we showed character and kept going despite all of that, when last year we would have collapsed and let them in a couple more times. We have a better mentality this year in both attack and defence, even when we do make errors, and that showed on Sunday.”

Clark used his full quota of five dual registration players from Super League club Wigan Warriors, one of whom being star man Jack Murphy at full-back, and he believes this certainly helped the young South Wales side to victory.

“Having the Wigan players brought some quality in for us and I hope that our young players can learn from that,” he said.

“We had our strongest side of the year last Sunday. It was also great to have Haydn Peacock back from injury after his ankle problem.

“Now it will be good to see some stability in the side. If we can get the same squad for three or four weeks, I’m sure we can build that stability and also some momentum.

“The dual registration system with Wigan is really working for us. It’s important to us at this stage and we need those players right now. In a few years’ time we probably won’t as we’re massively developing the players to come through the system.”

The player development was evident on Saturday after the reserve side’s 28-20 win over an experienced Rochdale outfit away from home.

Jordan Howells, Rhys Fitzgerald and man of the match Mike Connor each crossed for a brace of tries with Levi Knowles kicking two conversions.

The teams were tied 14-all at the interval but, after Rochdale had taken the lead midway through the second half, the Scorpions scored tries on 60 and 79 minutes to clinch things.

“That was fantastic to get the phone call on Saturday night to hear how well they’d done,” Clark added. “I know we had quite a young side out too as there were a few injuries.

“For those boys to win away was massive. It just shows that our system is working. We’ve some great young kids coming through and they’re competing with these Championship and Championship 1 sides and doing well so that’s good for the future.”

#70 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

South Wales Scorpions coach Dave Clark was delighted with his first team and under 20s last weekend after both sides turned over Rochdale Hornets.

Was he glad all over? :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#71 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

So Wigan resrves beat Saints reserves but a stand alone club still tops the table.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

So Wigan resrves beat Saints reserves but a stand alone club still tops the table.

So having 5 Wigan players makes them a Wigan reserve side rather than the 12 Scorpions players making them a Scorpion side? How does that work?

#73 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

So having 5 Wigan players makes them a Wigan reserve side rather than the 12 Scorpions players making them a Scorpion side? How does that work?

Well five out of 17 makes them a 30% Wigan reserve side and if you add value for SL quality players that can seriously influence the result, there is an even more skewed dependence on Wigan players for the result.

The Scorpions are hardly the poster child for stand alone independence are they ?.

#74 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

No, there were Bits and Pieces of poor play.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#75 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,161 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Oof! I deserved that.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#76 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Well five out of 17 makes them a 30% Wigan reserve side and if you add value for SL quality players that can seriously influence the result, there is an even more skewed dependence on Wigan players for the result.

The Scorpions are hardly the poster child for stand alone independence are they ?.

Im sure that the Scorpions youngsters can learn from the Wigan players especially when a route to Super League goes through them for the South Wales youngsters, yes dual registeration has alot of negatives but whilst it's there why not make the most of it.

Scorpions hardly the poster child and a stand alone club at the top of the table?

When the Scorpions played North Wales a few weeks ago the Scorpions had 16 Born and Bred players from South Wales The North Wales Crusaders had no Welsh Players.

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Bradford currently have 2 Warrington players in their squad on loan. London have had plenty of loan players in recent years. They are still independent clubs - they are just doing what suits.

I don't like the way the DR system is being used, but how you can work out 30% gives more prominence than 70% is beyond me.

#78 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

That needs stamping out.

#79 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

6589.jpg FEAST OF RUGBY WITH A FRENCH TOUCH

Queensway Stadium played host to a feast of rugby league last weekend as it welcomed some very special international guests.

A touring party of youngsters from the French town of Cahors were in Wrexham to take on Wales Rugby League U14s Development Squad and the Wrexham Bradley raiders U12s team..

The fixture was organised with the help of WRL President Mike Nicholas, who has forged strong links with the French side.

Cahors prepared for the game with a training session taken by Warrington Wolves coach Tony Smith

The fixture also marked the debut of the Wrexham Bradley Raiders U12s and there was a sense of occasion, with the Mayor of Wrexham greeting both sets of players before the kick-off.

Despite the team coming together just three weeks ago they gave a good account of themselves against their experienced French counterparts, losing the match 60-20.

The home side scored four very impressive tries and showed plenty of promise in their debut match. However Cahors ran out deserved winner, with several outstanding performances from the French youngsters

The U14s clash was another entertaining clash, with both sets of players refusing to back down in a physical and skilful contest.

The North Wales pack laid the foundation for 30-10 victory over Cahors U14s.

Cahors were given a warm welcome by the North Wales public and Community Rugby League Coach Allen Jones hopes to build stronger links with the tourists, who hail from the South of France.

“Today showed just how far the game of Rugby League has come on in North Wales in the past 12 months. Both fixtures were fast, tough and played in the best spirit of Rugby League.

“Everyone involved with Cahors was a credit to the club and town. Their Cahors U12s were probably the best-drilled and most skilful side I’ve seen in that age group. They played the game the way it should be played and they were a joy to watch at times.

“Our U12s side have only been together for a few weeks and they gave a very good account of themselves today. The Cahors side have been together for a long time and we matched them for long periods of the game. There is still a lot to work on but they can hold their heads up high after today’s performance.

“The U14s game was a really competitive match. The North Wales boys did the basics right and they fully deserved their victory. Cahors suffered a few knocks in this fixture but they never gave up and kept going right until the end.

“Today was a great occasion for grassroots rugby league in North Wales. The passion of the players and coaches from Cahors was infectious and we will keep in touch to see how each others teams are progressing. Hopefully this will become a regular fixture for the future.

“We would like to thank Mike Nicholas, who was instrumental in fostering the link with Cahors, as well as Wrexham Council and Wrexham Bradley Raiders for their continued support of Rugby League.”

#80 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

That's our conversion celebration song.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users