Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#121 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

GET ALONG TO THE METEORS

The Gwent Meteors Rugby League Club which is based at Magor are enjoying a boost in membership. It is proving to be very popular with the children in the area. Particularly the very young players because they get a chance to tackle and play a contact game of rugby from the start. All rugby League games are contact games and whilst touch is used there is no tag rugby for the under 7's or under 8's.

They have taken to the contact rugby like ducks to water. Parents need not worry has the children are taught by quality coaching staff and have had access to some of the top coaches in rugby league.

This year is Rugby League World Cup Year and our club will be at the opening ceremony on the 26th October some of whom will be selected to take part in the opening ceremony at the Millennium Stadium In Cardiff.

Junior Teams will be entering a special junior world cup tournament over the summer and they will all receive medals for taking part on the pitch at the opening ceremony. The ceremony will be seen across the world and the players will also get the chance to see the two opening games of the world cup and they will all have the chance to be at the final in Manchester.

We have lots to look forward to this year. If you want to be part of this new active and friendly club. The Gwent Meteors is open to any child aged from under 7 to under 13 we are currently running four teams from these age groups.

Players are traveling from across Newport and Monmouthshire and as far as the Forest of Dean. Spaces are limited act now of you don't want to lose out. email gwentmeteors@googlemail.com Please leave a name and contact number

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 28 May 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#122 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

COAST JUST EDGE ORIGIN GAME

By Gary Baker at St Peters RFC, Cardiff

ASSISTANT coach Paul Emmanuelli admitted the Wales A selectors will face a major headache to pick a 25-man squad for this season's Home Nations Championships after the first of two Origin Games in the Principality this week.

Wales A take on England Lions in the first of those matches on Sunday July 14 at The Gnoll and, after years of it being a mainly South Wales-based squad for the internationals, Wales Rugby League have now encompassed the North Wales Conference players into the fold, giving a bigger depth of talent to choose from.

The first of the Coast v Country Origin matches, with South Wales Conference teams supplying players to both sides, saw a ding-dong battle that resulted in Man of the Match Rhys Meredith, of Newport Titans, scoring the decisive try, that completed his hat-trick.

It gave the Coast a 36-34 victory having been 18-0 down after the first 14 minutes of the match when Country hooker Martin Luckwell went over for two tries, with Darryl Carter adding the other touchdown.

New Welsh head coach Mike Grady will cast his eye over the North Wales Coast v Country game on Friday, and, after that, the hard work begins to pick a squad from a wealth of talent that have put their hands up for inclusion in the national side.

Emmanuelli said: “It was a superb game and the Country side were a lot stronger up front but when the Coast started to move it and play to their strengths, I thought they were the better side.

“There were a lot of new boys who I have never seen in all the years I have been involved with Wales and a few I know will be in the mix as well so it was all very positive.

“The selection process is a week Thursday (June 6) which will be extremely difficult. There were one or two who gave their apologies for this match and could not come along so they will be in the mix for selection as well.”

There are a possible ten to 15 players from the north who have already been singled-out for possible national selection but Emmanuelli is not underestimating the task that faces them in the opening game against England.

“I was part of the side that got hammered in England and we have the biggest, toughest test to start with so we can only judge it from there. There seems to be a lot more competition for places this year and the signs are very good.

“I thought the two hookers were great today in Martin Luckwell and Rhys who scored a number of tries apiece. From what I have seen today, there are two of everything.”

And all of this is good for the hopes of Wales lifting the Home Nations title again. Emmanuelli added: “I am hopeful we will do well. Mike has a good pedigree and hopefully he can bring what we need.”

Louis Denton and Meredith got the Coast back into the match after the Country opened up a big gap but a try from Torfaen Tigers' Kyle Scrivens seconds before half-time game the Country a 22-8 advantage.

That seemed big enough to hold sway but Joel Knight started the fightback for the Coast from impressive forwardMike Davies and Torfaen's Mikki Witts set up the grand finale that saw Meredith go over for his hat-trick and secure the win for the Coast.

What southern conference clubs are defined as coast and which ones are country mate?

#123 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

A small but important comment on your last North Wales Conference message.

North Wales Regional Origin Country v Coast
Fri 31st May KO 7:30 pm Erias Parc, Colwyn Bay ONLY £2 ENTRY

Two teams selected from five North Wales Clubs battle it out at Erias Parc this Friday. Coast (selected from Prestatyn and Rhyl Panthers and Conwy Celts) vs Country (selected from Wrexham Bradley Raiders, Dee Valley Dragons and Flintshire Falcons RL Clubs.

Also, North Wales Crusaders Wheelchair Team (played 1 won 1) will also be playing on Saturday 8th June against Bradford Bulls at Deeside Leisure Centre. 1:30pm

#124 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

RHYS EVANS has turned his back on England to play with his brother Ben in the World Cup.

The Warrington Wolves twins gambled their brotherly love last year when Rhys chose England and Ben opted for Wales.

But the 20-year-olds are now back together and Wales have won the battle for the talented duo.

Rhys said: “It was a tough ­­ decision because I was very ­grateful for the chance to play for England Knights last year.

“But I had a chat with my brother and decided it would be really good if we could play together in the World Cup.

“England have a very strong squad and I thought I’d have a better opportunity with Wales.

“I was born in Wales and I’m ­really looking forward now to the challengeicon1.png of playing for them.”

The brothers grew up in Bridgend but persuaded their mum Jane to move to Warrington after Wolves spotted them at the age of 13.

They represented Wales at schoolboy level but both opted for England, qualifying because their mum was born in Plymouth.

Ben, who is on loan at Bradford Bulls, played for England Under-18s before switching back to Wales for last year’s Four Nations ­tournament. Rhys stayed with ­England and had vowed to fight for a World Cup place in Steve ­McNamara’s squad.

He said: “Steve understood. I wanted to leave in a good and ­professional way and I think I did that.”

Wales coach Iestyn Harris said he is delighted to have both centre Rhys and forward Ben in his ­selection plans.

He said: “I was disappointed to lose him a couple of years ago and I’m very happy to have him back.

“We are trying to do things the correct way with Wales and make sure that playersicon1.png send out the right message about what we are trying to achieve.

“Ben was with us last year and it seems Rhys liked what he heard.”

Rhys is hoping to make his ­comeback from a knee injury and tonsilitis next week.

He said: “I had just got back from my medial ligament injury when I went down with tonsilitis, but hopefully I’ll be back soon.”

#125 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

EVERY TEST PLACE IS UP FOR GRABS - GRADY

By Gary Baker. WRL Communications Manager

HEAD coach Mike Grady will have a blank sheet of paper that he hopes to fill with some great North Wales names tomorrow night (Friday May 31) ahead of the new Wales A international season that kicks-off in July.

Grady will run the rule over the best North Wales Conference players at Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay, when a Coast side play the Country in their first North Wales Origin game.

It will act as the major trial for Wales A selection following a similar first Origin match in South Wales last Sunday and Grady says places are up for grabs as the nation comes together as one rugby league country for the Home Championships, having been dominated in previous years by the southern players.

Conwy Celts, Rhyl and Prestatyn Panthers, Deevalley Dragons, Flintshire Falcons and Wrexham Bradley Raiders are combining for the game, with last season's Conference Grand Finalists the Celts and the Panthers making up the Coast side and the Dragons, Falcons and Raiders forging an alliance for the Country.

Grady, who was appointed to his role two months ago, is keen to see the talent on show and said every position is open for someone to put their hand up.

“There are places in Wales A up for grabs,” said the head coach. “Hopefully it will be a tough game and players will be asking us to put them up for selection.”

Grady has had many reports about the talent in North Wales but this will be his first time to see potential internationals in full-blown action. He enthused: “I'm quite excited by it.

“I have been in contact with as many coaches as possible around the clubs and, after this match, next week is all systems go.”

Conwy Celts boss Ray Caldwell, the Conwy Council Coach of the Year 2012, will be in charge of the Coast, assisted by Panthers boss and Wales A assistant Jonathan Burgess, while Mike Parry is in charge of the County side, with Dave Forward as his number two.

And there is another reason for players to put in the performance of their lives as the first ever Wales Rugby League North v South Origin Match will take place in September.

The international season sees Wales A tackle England in Neath and Scotland at a venue in North Wales, with the away game against Ireland in Limerick on August 3.

Grady thinks Wales have every chance of doing well in a tournament where they are previous winners. He added: “I expect a strong Wales A team for this competition. We are keeping our selection within the domestic competitions (Conferences) where Ireland and Scotland have said they may bring in semi-pro players. We are not doing that.”

The coach thinks a good proportion of the national side will stem from North Wales after the Coast v Country match so everything is to play for. “I would hope that eight players or more would come from North Wales,” he said.

Entry to the Coast v Country Origin Match at Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay, (kick-off. 7.30pm) is £2 on the gate.

#126 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Amazing supporter packages at Vale Resort

In conjunction with children's charity Wooden Spoon, Gullivers Sports Travel are offering fans the exclusive opportunity to attend a Welsh Rugby League Legends Dinner on October 25, and a Golf Day on October 27.

A choice of three fantastic packages are available to book online, including an exclusive RLWC2013 Opening Ceremony Weekend package.

A 'Freewheeler' package, which includes an invitation to the Legends Dinner at the spectacular Vale Resort near Cardiff is just £75 per person, while there is also an option to enjoy two nights' stay at the resort and attend the Rugby League World Cup 2013 Opening Ceremony, which features clashes between Wales and Italy, and England and Australia, for just £497.

Those wishing to participate in the Golf Day and tee off alongside the stars on the Welsh National Championship Course at the Vale Resort can enter a three-person team for just £299.

The price includes a bacon roll and coffee before your round, and a three-course dinner.

There is also the option of an overnight stay on October 27 at the Vale Resort Hotel for £89 per person sharing a twin/double room, or £124 per person in a single.

Wooden Spoon is a children's charity founded in 1983 that is dedicated to helping disadvantaged children and young people across the British Isles live happier, richer lives.

The Rugby League and Rugby Union communities are both partnered with Wooden Spoon, helping the charity to receive invaluable support for its activities and the work it does.

#127 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

When can we expect that big news story Dug?

#128 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

When can we expect that big news story Dug?

Im not sure welsh I am as intrigued as you <_< Hopefully it will be good and very exciting news for the game in Wales

#129 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

This has just come through which is a big shame...

Daniel Mortimer @Danmorts
@WalesRugbyL hey mate. Spoke to Iestyn yesterday. Pity we could t get it through but will be cheering for you guys in the RLWC.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#130 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

This has just come through which is a big shame...

Daniel Mortimer @Danmorts
@WalesRugbyL hey mate. Spoke to Iestyn yesterday. Pity we could t get it through but will be cheering for you guys in the RLWC.

Massive shame! Mortimer wold have been a great addition. Anybody know why it couldn't happen? Not actually eligible maybe?

#131 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

NOW TO PICK THE WALES 'A' SQUAD

WALES A head coach Mike Grady has pencilled a number of players from North Wales for national selection this summer.

The Coast side, made up of players from Rhyl and Prestatyn Panthers and North Wales Conference champions Conwy Celts, beat the Country outfit, with players from Wrexham Bradley Raiders, Flintshire Falcons and Deevalley Dragons, in Friday night's Origin Match at Colwyn Bay, and a dozen names stood out for the coach.

He said: “There were some good guys on the Coast team and about 12 names. I was impressed with them and I didn't expect as many lads playing well. It is a healthy competition.

“We are probably looking about eight players for selection from the North. I will get together with Paul and Jon and we will be happy with that. I think there will be some lads disappointed if they do miss out.

“There was some good talent. The coaches in North Wales were made up that we can get players into a team which has been dominated by the south over the years. There was a cracking full-back Jordan Sheridan, the half-backs did well and then there some aggressive forwards which we will need against England.”

The selectors – Grady, assistants Paul Emmanuelli and Jon Burgess plus team manager Idris Evans – will get together in Llandridod Wells on Wednesday to finalise the 25-man Wales A squad which will play England, Ireland and Scotland in the Home Nations this summer.

For those picked, the first raining session is on June 23 in mid-Wales at Builth Wells RFC.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 03 June 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#132 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Good to see the RLWC 2013 featuring nicely on the Millenium Stadium Website :)

http://www.millenniu...um.com/home.php

#133 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Is Pen-y-bont Crusader still about? I'm still really intrigued by that news story we wer meant to have?

#134 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Scorpions sign Super League half-back on loan

South Wales Scorpions have signed Widnes Vikings half-back Grant Gore on a month’s loan with a possibility of an extension.

He replaces forward Ben Davies who returns to the Vikings.

Wigan-born Gore made his Super League debut last season against Leeds Rhinos and has made three further first team appearances for the Vikings in 2013.

Blessed with the combination of a good kicking game and strong defence, the 21-year old will prove a valuable addition to the Scorpions’ backs in a position that needed to be filled.

Scorpions’ coach Dave Clark said: “We’re delighted that Grant is coming to the Scorpions in what will be a big month at the club.

“We’re back at The Gnoll for the first time in seven weeks on Sunday 16th June when we take on Oldham and we expect Grant to be an important member of the side.

“We haven’t had a recognised half-back in our side for the last few weeks so it’s good that Grant is with us as he can play at both stand-off and scrum-half.”

If selected, he will make his Scorpions debut in their Kingstone Press Championship 1 side game at Gloucestershire All Golds on Sunday.

Sponsored by Rugby League and League Express newspaper, the Scorpions are holding a Father’s Day special at their match against Oldham Roughyeds on Sunday 16th June where families can enjoy the day at The Gnoll and have a carvery meal in addition to watching the big match. Bookings are essential and need to be made by Wednesday 12th June online at http://www.scorpions...s/Article/29444.

#135 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Is Pen-y-bont Crusader still about? I'm still really intrigued by that news story we wer meant to have?

I am and the news is still to come. Big things like this do take their time to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed etc etc.

Its not too far off now.

#136 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

7039.jpg 

By Gary Baker. Wales Rugby League Communications Manager

WALES Rugby League have broken new, exciting ground for the future as, for the first time, the Wales Dragonhearts squad will be a complete representation of the game across the Principality.

The selectors, at their meeting in Llandridod Wells on Wednesday, picked seven players from the North Wales Conference in a 26-man squad for the Home Nations international matches against England, Scotland and Ireland this summer.

It is the first time that the Dragonhearts party, previously picked from players within the South Wales Conference, have included men from the north.

National head coach Mike Grady said: “It was a very positive selection meeting. I feel we will be very competitive by looking at the squad we have got and talking to the coaches.

“That first game is against England will be the test but it will be good to get the toughest game out on first and I think we can be competitive against them.”

The selection process was so difficult that the originally-planned 25-man squad was not enough so an extra place was included, extending the party to 26 men.

Of the seven players from the North Wales Conference included, five are with reigning champions Conwy Celts and two from last year's runners-up Rhyl and Prestatyn Panthers.

The 19 players from the South Wales Conference, which make up the bulk of the squad, include eight players from Valley Cougars, four each from Cardiff Demons and Torfaen Tigers, two from Newport Titans and one player from Bonymaen Broncos.

In addition, the selectors have taken the step of putting a number of players ,who will be with the Welsh Students at July's World Cup, on stand-by for the future games against Ireland and Scotland. Should they be needed, they will be called into the training party before the game with Ireland in Limerick in August.

Grady explained this is aimed at bringing these players into the Welsh fold in the coming years. He said: “The student idea is because we want to build something for the future with these players and it is good to get them involved around the set-up after the World Cup.”

Training for the Dragonhearts squad ahead of the big game with England at The Gnoll on July 14, gets underway on Sunday June 23 at Builth Wells RFC.

Wales Dragonhearts play England Lions at The Gnoll, Neath, on Sunday July 14 before facing Ireland Wolfhounds in Limerick on August 3 and Scotland Bravehearts in North Wales on August 24.

Wales Dragonhearts squad

Paul Emmanuelli - Valley Cougars

Phil Carleton - Cardiff Demons

Martin Luckwell - Valley Cougars

Rhys Meredith - Newport Titans

Michael Harrison - Conwy Celts

Lewis Stockton - Conwy Celts

Dafydd Lloyd - Prestatyn & Rhyl Panthers

Dan Davies - Valley Cougars

Chris True - Cardiff Demons

Jordan Sheridan - Conwy Celts

Liam Wottan - Valley Cougars

James Gregson - Conwy Celts

Kyle Scrivens - Torfaen Tigers

Darryl Carter - Valley Cougars

Gareth Davies - Torfaen Tigers

Gerwyn Price - Valley Cougars

Rhys Davies - Bonymaen Broncos

Anthony Tillie - Prestatyn & Rhyl Panthers

Lee Davies - Conwy Celts

John Sanigar - Valley Cougars

Loren Quick - Cardiff Demons

Neil Dallimore - Cardiff Demons

John Lavender - Newport Titans

Scott Britton - Valley Cougars

Zack Hadley - Torfaen Tigers

Liam Davies - Torfaen Tigers

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 06 June 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#137 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

North Wales Crusaders heach coach Clive Griffiths is expecting a much tougher contest than when his side last faced Oldham, in what he says should be a big game on Sunday (2.30pm kick-off).

Griffiths’ men swept aside the Roughyeds in a 48-12 win earlier this year in the Northern Rail Cup, but the Greater Manchester club currently sit third in the table after a run of three straight victories.

“We know that the other game earlier in the year is no reflection of where Oldham are at the moment”, Griffiths said.

“They’re a good side and Scott Naylor has a lot of experience as a coach himself. Both nines (hookers) are decent players and they’ve also got Jon Ford, who is a big centre from Salford, so we’ll have to be wary of them.

“It’s going to be a big game, and it’s probably more important to them as they need the win. If they lose then they’ve lost three games in the league and it could be a bit of a mountain for them to climb.”

And Griffiths is hoping that his side continues where they left off against the All Golds last weekend as, on reflection, he feels he may have been harsh in his criticism of some of the aspects of his side’s performance.

“After watching the video, you could see that we played some really good rugby in the second half”, he said.

“Some of it was slick and the tries we scored were top drawer – everyone wants to see that and play that brand of rugby.

“We made some good yards, which were supported and led to tries, and we were happy with that.

“But it was still a bit frantic in the first half and the weekend off didn’t help with that at all, even though we did use the free week wisely.

“We tried to force passes when we shouldn’t have and there will be no repitition of that against Oldham, as we’ll have to respect the football a lot more.”

Roughyeds’ Danger Man – Adam Files

Files joined Oldham on a season-long loan from partner club Salford City Reds before the start of the season – and so far he has lived up to his billing as one of Super League’s young stars.

The hooker is often used as an impact player off the bench and currently heads his side’s try-scoring table with nine, as well as chipping in with assists.

The 20-year-old suffered a broken nose in Oldham’s victory over Skolars last weekend, but he should be fit for the clash on Sunday and will no doubt cause the Wrexham-based side a lot of bother.

Form Guide – Oldham Roughyeds (WWWLWL)

Oldham currently sit third in the club following wins over London Skolars, Gateshead Thunder and Hemel Stags in their last three fixture, after a shock defeat in round three at home to Oxford, who are coached by their former coach Tony Benson.

The Roughyeds had started their league campaign with a defeat at home to neighbours Rochdale Hornets, and also exited the Challenge Cup at Hunslet Hawks the week after, before picking up a solid 36-0 victory at Gloucestershire All Golds.

Fan Information

Tickets are still available for the clash with Oldham, with adult prices from £12, concessions from £7, children from £5 and under 7s free. You can either purchase your tickets from the Glyndwr Sports Centre or online.

There is also a fantastic hospitality offer on, which includes a gourmet burger, salad, chips and pint for just £20, with season ticket holder prices reduced to just £10. You will have the opportunity to have photographs with some of the playing squad before the game and you will also be able to join the staff and players for the man of the match presentations in the Centenary Club after the game. To make the most of this offer email commercial@crusadersrfl.com.

Our matchday programme will be on sale around the ground before kick-off at the price of just £2, so make sure you grab a copy to catch up with what’s happening at Crusaders.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 06 June 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#138 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

World Cup Wednesday joins 'Exiles' countdown
Ticket Deal for Opening Ceremony in Cardiff

Hot on the heels of the recent free supporters shirt offer, England are continuing their countdown to the upcoming International Origin match and Rugby League World Cup 2013 campaign with an unbeatable ticket deal.

Fans can see Steve McNamara’s men in action against the Exiles at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on June 14 and witness the RLWC2013 Opening Ceremony, featuring England’s clash with Australia at the Millennium Stadium on October 26, for just £45.

As an added bonus, supporters will also gain admission to the match between Wales and Italy following England’s opener in Cardiff.

The showdown with the Exiles later this month represents England’s only competitive match ahead of RLWC2013, and there’ll be no shortage of motivation following series defeats to Super League’s overseas stars in 2011 and 2012.

#139 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

It's a 'shame' as Billy quits Crusaders

07e3BillySheenINT.jpg

HEAD coach Clive Griffiths has described Billy Sheen's decision to leave North Wales Crusaders as a 'shame'.

The versatile Sheen has found game time difficult to come by given the strength in depth amongst the Crusaders' squad and looks set to link up with South Wales Scorpions.

Speaking after watching his side beat Gloucestershire All Golds 66-4 yesterday, Griffiths was disappointed to lose Sheen, but respected his decision.

He said: "I've heard he is going down to South Wales (Scorpions).

"It is a great shame really because I like Billy and he is caught between a few positions; nine (hooker), seven (half-back) and full-back.

"Competition for places here is terrific and unfortunately he has been missing out and he has got a bit frustrated.

"He has gone back to play amateur rugby. He is a semi-professional at the end of the day and he should be playing at this level.

"I just wish him all of the very best and it is a shame I couldn't accommodate him because he has done very well for us.

"With the three half-backs and the choices we have got at hooker and full-back, somebody has got to miss out and unfortunately it was Billy.

"I can understand his decision to leave."

On his team's 12-try blitz of bottom of the table Gloucestershire, which took Crusaders' Championship One record to six wins from six games, Griffiths was left with mixed emotions.

The experienced coach was pleased with the defensive side of his team's game, but highlighted some sloppy possession play as an area in which to improve.

"Defensively we have 'nilled' a side in the second half and they have been camped on our line a few times," he explained before adding: "Sometimes we have a rush of blood where we try and force an offload.

"It is going to get tougher from here on in and we need to respect the football more."

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 06 June 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#140 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Amateur rugby? Last time I looked, Scorpions and Crusaders were in the same division!!!

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users