Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#161 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I know the feeling! Really been looking forward to this news.

Shall we have a guess:

1. New club?

2. Signing from Union?

3. Major sponsorship deal?

4. Recognition from Government?

5. A key component of the WAG PE syallbus?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#162 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Shall we have a guess:

1. New club?
2. Signing from Union?
3. Major sponsorship deal?
4. Recognition from Government?
5. A key component of the WAG PE syallbus?

Could potentially be a new club, or something of an expansion for the Scorpions I.e. new owner or new stadium etc.

Something tells me it won't be a union signing, 3, 4 and 5 would all be great and may even be an all-in-one announcement as they could all link together somewhat.

I did have a random thought the other day however regarding an NRL club offering up x-amount of under 20 contracts to young Welsh players every year! Far fetched I know, but would be great news and exciting.

All in all however, I'm going with 3.

Edited by welshmagpie, 17 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#163 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wheelchair Rugby League Bury Jigsaw 96 - 7 North Wales Crusaders

Here are some detail about the wheelchair game over the weekend.The scoreline looks a bit alarming, however, everyone still up beat as they faced a side full of England Internationals. Crusaders have been the only team this season to keep the score against Bury under 100 and are the only side to have actually scored a try against them this season. So plenty of positives to work on after now completing 3 competitive games.

Next up Mersey Storm Saturday 22nd June KO 13:30. Deeside Leisure Centre.

If you have not experienced wheelchair rugby league, why not come along and watch.

Edited by gogledd, 17 June 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#164 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Could potentially be a new club, or something of an expansion for the Scorpions I.e. new owner or new stadium etc.

Something tells me it won't be a union signing, 3, 4 and 5 would all be great and may even be an all-in-one announcement as they could all link together somewhat.

I did have a random thought the other day however regarding an NRL club offering up x-amount of under 20 contracts to young Welsh players every year! Far fetched I know, but would be great news and exciting.

All in all however, I'm going with 3.

That's actually a belting idea! PBC, get it sorted! ;)

Me too on the sponsorship.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#165 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Wheelchair Rugby League Bury Jigsaw 96 - 7 North Wales Crusaders

Here are some detail about the wheelchair game over the weekend.The scoreline looks a bit alarming, however, everyone still up beat as they faced a side full of England Internationals. Crusaders have been the only team this season to keep the score against Bury under 100 and are the only side to have actually scored a try against them this season. So plenty of positives to work on after now completing 3 competitive games.

Next up Mersey Storm Saturday 22nd June KO 13:30. Deeside Leisure Centre.

If you have not experienced wheelchair rugby league, why not come along and watch.

Looks like a drop goal was scored. How is that done in Wheelchair RL?

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#166 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

South Wales Scorpions coach Dave Clark believes that poor decision making cost them the game against Oldham Roughyeds on Sunday.

The Scorpions lost 36-32 thanks to a last minute Oldham try but did have chances to secure the game on a number of occasions before that and also sacrificed an early 16-0 lead.

But he knows that his side more than competed well against one of the competition’s front runners and it holds them in good stead for when they take on Oxford at The Gnoll next Sunday (kick-off 3pm).

Clark said: “I think we played really well in the first quarter where we attacked and defended the way we should have. I was feeling quite good at that stage. But we allowed them to walk up the pitch as we gave penalties away and allowed them to have repeat sets. It took it out of us conditioning wise and they capitalised on that. Oldham worked hard, they’ve got a good side and deserved to be in the lead at half-time.

“But I don’t think we know how to hold on to leads and we just need the right mentality. We need more confidence to react being in front when we’re playing a side of the same level as us like Oldham. That’s a big difference to us this year. I said to the boys after the game that I’m not going to say any more about games that we should have won. In general, we were a better side than Oldham on Sunday and we should have won.

“We actually won the second half 16-10 and for us to fight back showed a lot of character, but we blew three or four chances due to poor decision making, either a pass not made or going the wrong way. Joe Burke made a great break late on but Billy Sheen was waiting for the pass and if I saw that little rabbit next to me I’d have just given him the ball early and let him run. But there were other cases too that could have changed the game for us.”

Sheen, a new signing from North Wales Crusaders, came off the bench at half-time and played a strong 40 minutes.

However he only had one training session with the club before last Sunday’s game and Clark thinks that he’ll do even better with more time spent with the team.

“Billy showed his potential out there,” Clark said. “He did a lot of things out of his own playbook and that’s something that the boys will have to get used to. He creates well and in time he’ll be a very dangerous player for us.”

South Wales Scorpions v Oxford kicks off at 3pm on Sunday 23rd June. Preceding the match will be more junior games with Neath and District Scorpions taking on Cardiff Spartans at under 13 level at midday. This is immediately followed by the final round of the South Wales Evening Post sponsored Primary Schools Cup at 1.20pm. Tickets for the whole day cost just £12 for adults, £7 concessions, £3 for juniors aged 12-16 and free for children aged 11 and under.

#167 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Kick-off times confirmed for Northern Rail Finals day

photo_486578.jpg

The kick-off times for the Northern Rail Cup final and Northern Rail Bowl on Saturday July 20 have been confirmed.

Having secured their place at the Northern Rail Finals day by finishing top of their respective preliminary groups, Championship One clubs North Wales Crusaders and London Skolars will compete in the inaugural Northern Rail Bowl in front of the Premier Sports TV cameras at 2.30pm.

At the conclusion of that match, at 5.00pm, the ninth Northern Rail Cup final will take centre stage with two teams fighting to emerge victorious and take the trophy away from The Shay Stadium - home of the 2012 winners Halifax.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 June 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#168 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Jonathan Davies 'didn't want to play for Wales' after league return
Jonathan Davies admits he did not want to play for Wales after returning to rugby union from rugby league in 1995.

Fly-half legend Davies was among the first players to return to union after it cast off its amateur status.

The popular television rugby pundit says in a new BBC Wales television documentary that he felt "past his best" by the time he returned to Wales.

"I was a lot slower and couldn't give to Wales what I gave maybe 10 years before," Davies admitted.

Davies was captain of Wales when he joined league side Widnes in December 1988 after winning 27 caps.

He made a further five appearances for his country after his return from rugby league, but admits playing for Wales had not been part of the plan.

"I didn't really want to play for Wales again to be honest," he said.

_68246928_jiffhead.jpg
  • Clubs: Trimsaran, Neath, Llanelli, Cardiff
  • Caps: 33
  • International points: 81

"Do you ever turn down playing for your country? No you don't. But no, I was past my best then.

"But it was nice to play for Wales again and have that adrenalin rush of going out again on the Arms Park. It was unbelievable."

The programme, Jonathan Davies: A Trimsaran Boy, which will be shown on BBC One Wales on Thursday, also outlines the circumstances of Davies' controversial and record-breaking move to the 13-man code.

His biographer, the respected Welsh journalist Peter Corrigan, claims the player turned his back on his dream of playing for the British and Irish Lions on their 1989 tour of Australia because he feared being dropped by Wales.

"His ambition at the time was to play for the Lions," said Corrigan.

"And he knew that team was being thought of by Ian McGeechan who had just been appointed the head coach.

"He [Davies] thought: 'I'm going to be dropped as captain by Wales and that's not going to help my Lions candidature'.

"And Doug Lawton, a very persuasive man who was in charge of Widnes, came down and caught him [Davies] on the hop."

Davies himself admitted that the fall-out from Wales' 15-9 home defeat to Romania on 10 December 1988 had been a major factor in his decision to accept Widnes' offer.

"I wasn't happy. I got blamed for that defeat and then all of a sudden the unthinkable came into my mind that I was going to get dropped [from] playing for Wales," he said.

"You know I've got no qualifications to fall back on, that's when the rugby league boys came down and there was an avenue out for me."

_68246930_davieshead.jpg
  • Clubs: Widnes, Canterbury Bulldogs, Warrington, North Queensland Cowboys
  • GB caps: 10
  • Wales caps: 9
  • International points: 76 (GB); 75 (Wales)

Davies' subsequent move from rugby union for a then record fee of £230,000 sent shock waves through the Welsh game and subsequently led to several other high-profile internationals making the move to rugby league - including John Devereux and Paul Moriarty who joined him at Widnes.

Six years later, the trigger for Davies' return to Wales was his first wife, Karen, being diagnosed with cancer following the birth of their third child.

Davies already had personal experience of the disease after his father, Len, had died of cancer at the age of 44 when Davies was just 14 years old.

"I was in a quandary. I had three kids, my two daughters had been born up in Warrington and then my wife was diagnosed with cancer," Davies said.

"What did I want to do do? I wanted to come back to Wales and have the support of my family through that period."

He added that family and the experience of having dealt with bereavement meant he was better prepared to deal with Karen's death in 1997.

"I was prepared for it better because I'd lost my dad," said Davies.

"Although you're in the public glare, bereavement is a very private thing.

"The key is being strong, putting a public profile in place but then a different one when you're private.

"Being the dad, the man, you have to keep it going as normal as possible.

"Perhaps I did go off the rails a little bit I suppose, you know, in the drinking stakes but hey, sometimes you cope with it that way.

"But the discipline of TV schedules and kids going to school was the key to keeping me on that straight and narrow."

Today, Davies is an energetic charity fundraiser and president of the Velindre Hospital charity that has raised £7m in the past five years.

Jonathan Davies: A Trimsaran Boy is on BBC One Wales at 21:00 BST on Thursday.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 June 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#169 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

High Achievers 2013

The North Wales Crusaders have joined forces with the town’s Eagles Meadow shopping centre to recognise and reward young people who deserve a big pat on the back. Centre Christiaan Roets, 32, and Second Row Toby Adamson, 22, are spearheading the search with Kevin Critchley, the manager of Eagles Meadow. The competition is open to high school pupils up to the age of 16. The eight categories are Community Volunteer, Sporting Prowess, Academic Achievement, Creative Genius, Science and Innovation, Young Braveheart, One to Watch and Heart of Gold. All shortlisted entrants will receive a prize donated by retailers at Eagles Meadow with a main prize for the overall winner. The winners will be announced at a glittering ceremony on July 18 at the Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium where the Crusaders play. Eagles Meadow Manager Kevin Critchley said : “We want to reward the young people of Wrexham who deserve some recognition for the good work they do or the selfless acts they carry out on a regular basis.“Young people can sometimes get a negative press and we want to change this and celebrate the many thoughtful, talented and bright youngsters who live all around us.”It was a sentiment echoed by South African Christiaan Roets who made the switch to North Wales from Welsh rivals South Wales Scorpions before the start of the 2012 season;“We’re very much a community club and we try and get involved with schools and charities as much as we can. I think the High Achievers scheme is a fantastic idea because it’s great to give recognition for the efforts young people put in.”Team mate Toby Adamson, a native of rugby league stronghold Warrington, came to the Crusaders midway through last season and is loving every minute of his time with the Wrexham based outfit. He said: “It’s awesome here. I love Wrexham because I also work for the club on the sponsorship side. Wrexham is a really nice place. Young people sometimes get a bad press but that’s just a very a small proportion reflecting badly on the others. I think the High Achievers scheme is a perfect way to recognise those that are really doing well and give young people their due whilst encouraging others to try even harder.”Crusaders Chief Executive Jamie Thomas was grateful for the support of Eagles Meadow in launching the High Achievers scheme. He said: “We want to recognise their achievements that sometimes go unnoticed, whether it is bravery or sporting prowess, their hard work and dedication, their efforts in the community or their educational achievements. The town’s really taken us to its heart and we’ve got the best fans in the league as far as I can see. Eagles Meadow is also an important part of the town so I think it’s great that the two come together to invest in our young people.”The competition is open to all secondary schools in the Wrexham area, if you are interested in nominating someone please visit www.highachievers2013.co.uk find it on Facebook or follow on twitter @HighAchieverWxm - See more at: http://www.mission20...h.tr6HCh14.dpuf

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 June 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#170 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Andy Powell backed to be big rugby league success

powelly-2575652.jpg

ENGLAND rugby league head coach Steve McNamara has backed Andy Powell to be a huge success in Super League.

The 31-year-old signed a deal with Wigan in April and will join up with the Warriors, who are currently top of the Super League table, now that the Premiership season is over.

Powell rejected an offer to join the Crusaders back in 2010 but has agreed to join Wigan from Sale Sharks, completing a life-long ambition to play rugby league in the process.

Switching codes in rugby has long been part of the game but recent years have seen the majority of players, like Chris Ashton and Joel Tomkins, moving from league to union.

Not since the dawn of the professional era, when union lost some of their stars to league, have players been making that switch but McNamara is confident that Powell can have an impact.

“It is tough going from rugby union to league but I will say that to me Andy looks like he is made for rugby league,” said McNamara, speaking at the grant announcement of Gillette’s ‘Great Start’ programme for 2013.

“I think the physical attributes he has got means that he could be a tremendous asset to Wigan. He will have to learn the little intricacies of play and he is going to have to probably change his fitness routine a little bit.

“But the raw attributes to be a good league player he has certainly got and I think he will strengthen the Wigan side and the Wales side too.

“It does depend on which position he plays, outside backs transfer quite easily from one to the other but as a forward it is very different.

“Certain types of players can do it and Powell can. Andy Farrell went from loose forward in league to an outside centre in union.”

McNamara is currently in the midst of the biggest year of his management career as England prepare to challenge for the World Cup on home soil.

And he insists that preparation ahead of the marquee tournament could not be going better.

“Everything is ready to go, so we couldn’t be in better shape in terms of that and we’ve also got some very good players who are playing very well at this moment in time,” he added.

“So we’re looking forward to it, we understand the impact it can have on the whole game but for ourselves as coaches and players it’s just concentrating now on performance.”

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 June 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#171 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

wheelchair-t-sh.jpg

Buy a T-shirt to support Wales Wheelchair side South Wales Scorpions and North Wales Crusaders are supporting Wales Rugby League's international wheelchair side as they take part in the Festival of World Cups in July.

T-shirts are on sale to boost the budget for the tournament, with £5 out of the £10 sale price (plus postage and packing) heading directly to the side's budget, and we're selling them through our online shop.

Wales will face Ireland, Australia and England in the group stages between July 3 and 9 at Medway, Gillingham, before competing in the knock-out stages if they are to progress.

Please be aware that orders need to be placed by Sunday to receive in time for the tournament but they will still be available after that.

Please go to our club shop by clicking here to buy the T-shirt

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 June 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#172 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

2013-kids-week-.jpg

Primary Schools cup enters final group stages

South Wales Scorpions hold the final round of the group stages of their Primary Schools Rugby League Cup competition this Sunday from 1.20pm.

The matches take place before South Wales Scorpions’ Championship 1 match against Oxford which kicks off at 3pm.

The competition, which has been sponsored by South Wales Evening Post, has been a great success so far and has been competed with great enthusiasm all season between the six sides.

Commitments for Father’s Day meant that just three sides played matches at The Gnoll last week but all six are expected to take to the field this week to see not only who takes the four semi-final spots but who qualifies for the national rounds that have been organised by Wales Rugby League.

Last week’s scores were MN Crimson Crusaders 1 Cardiff Demons 0, Waunceirch Warriors 1 Cardiff Demons 0 and Waunceirch Warriors 1 MN Crimson Crusaders 0.

The fixtures for this week are…

1.20pm - 1

Gnoll Tigers v Crynallt Crusaders - longer game

1.20pm - 2

MN Crimson Crusaders v Team Tonnau - longer game

1.40pm - 1

Cardiff Demons v Waunceirch Warriors

1.40pm - 2

MN Crimson Crusaders v Crynallt Crusaders

1.50pm - 1

Cardiff Demons v Gnoll Tigers

1.50pm - 2

Crynallt Crusaders v Team Tonnau

3.40pm - 1

Gnoll Tigers v MN Crimson Crusaders

3.40pm - 2

Team Tonnau v Waunceirch Warriors

The first two games are double length as neither side has faced each other so far this season. After the last two games at 3.40pm, half-time of the Scorpions v Oxford game, all sides will have faced each other twice.

Sunday at The Gnoll kicks off at midday with Neath and District Scorpions taking on Cardiff Spartans at under 13 level. The Scorpions and the Spartans are joint top of the three team mini-league after each recording victories over Cardiff Demons. Last week, the Scorpions won 42-4 in, despite the high scoreline, was a competitive match.

Tickets for the whole day cost just £12 for adults, £7 concessions, £3 for juniors aged 12-16 and free for children aged 11 and under.

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 19 June 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#173 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Looks like a drop goal was scored. How is that done in Wheelchair RL?

Goal kicks and Kick Offs are taken from a high tee and a closed fist is used to punt the ball.  A more difficult skill (in my limited experience) is the drop out and drop goal, where the ball is dropped to the floor and 'kicked' with the hand, again usually a closed fist is used.  Its difficult to get the timing correct.

Try and get along to see a game.  Its a great experience. A game is 80 minutes, 5 players plus 3 interchanges. A tackle is complete when the ball carrier has one of the two tags removed from the shoulders of his/her shirt. The play of the ball must be proceeded by that player replacing the tag. Contact to reach the tags can be pretty full on!!.

There are Wheelchair World Cup games coming up soon.

http://www.rlwc2013....xtures-revealed

#174 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

george-clarke.jpg

Scorpions sign former Leeds Rhinos Academy forward

South Wales Scorpions have signed former Leeds Rhinos academy prop or second row player George Clarke for the remainder of the 2013 season.

Highly rated by England’s Jamie Peacock during his six years with the Rhinos, the 20-year old spent the 2012 season in Australia playing for Northern NSW league side Casino RSM Cougars.

On returning to the UK, he signed for Pennine League Premier Division club Queens, who he helped to finish second in their winter 2012-13 season. He has more recently been playing for the club he grew up with, National Conference Division One side East Leeds. He has also represented Yorkshire at various junior levels.

Scorpions coach Dave Clark said: “George is a very talented forward and we’re really pleased to have signed him as we have been looking to strengthen our existing pack. He was highly rated during his time at Leeds Rhinos and he’s now looking for a new opportunity to progress in his career. He’ll get that at the Scorpions and I’m sure he’ll be a great asset to us.”

Clarke is in line to make his debut this Sunday when the Scorpions take on Oxford at The Gnoll in Neath (kick-off 3pm).

Edited by DugSWRLgan, 21 June 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#175 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Wheelchair Rugby League

North Wales Crusaders 24 - 121 Mersey Storm.

A hard day at the office for the Cru players, but it was good to see almost all Wales RL Wheelchair players on the pitch on both teams.

#176 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Should the world fear Kear?

RWC2013.com blogger Joe Whiteley begins a new series of blogs on talented young players making their debut at a Rugby League World Cup. This week he speaks to Welsh flyer Elliot Kear.

Wales’ last appearance in a World Cup match was over 13 years ago, so you could excuse them for getting a little excited for this year’s tournament.

One player who is already counting down the days until Rugby League World Cup 2013 is Bradford and Wales fullback or winger Elliot Kear.

Kear, who has been an ever present for Bradford so far this season, made his international debut for Wales against England back in October 2009, as part of the team that went down 48-12 in Bridgend.

Since that day, he has established himself in the Wales squad, and following a successful spell at Crusaders, made the move to Odsal in 2012, where he has nailed down a regular spot in the Bulls line-up.

He played in both of Wales’ games during the Autumn International Series last year, but is the first to admit that it is this year’s World Cup which really gets his blood pumping.

“I’m really excited,” said the Cardiff born utility-back. “First of all I’m just hoping that I get chosen, but I’m really excited because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for some players.

“Everything has been building up towards this. Iestyn Harris (Wales Head Coach) has always said that we’re looking at the bigger picture and that we’re focusing on the World Cup. Hopefully we can put a strong team together.

“We had a lot of injuries last year, so we used the games to bring in a lot of the younger players and build our squad towards this year.

“We haven’t really set ourselves an actual goal yet. We just want to win our group and progress from there into the knock-out stages.”

And Kear is hoping the Welsh public come out in force to support their country. And the chance to play at the national stadium is one which he is really looking forward to.

“Playing at the Millennium Stadium will be a massive buzz,” said Kear. “I played there when I was younger and won in front of a big crowd. So to play again will be amazing, especially in front my home town.

“I haven’t been home recently to be honest, but everyone who I know knows that the World Cup is coming up! I know that they’re definitely going to the opener at the Miennium and I’ve seen a couple of adverts around there, so it’s being advertised well.”

But who should those unfamiliar with the Welsh squad keep an eye out for when the World Cup comes around – bar Mr Kear himself, of course!

“I think all the current Super League players in our squad at the moment will definitely put their hands up and throw in some good performances. We’ve been together for that long now that all the youngsters who have come through are now fully fledged.

“We’ve got the likes of Lloyd White, Gil Dudson and then you’ve got up and coming players like Rhodri Lloyd, so I’m just excited for it now, because I can’t wait.

“I think there’s been such a raise in awareness of Rugby League in Wales. It’s still going strong and you can tell by the way the Crusaders are playing in the National League now – they’re top of Championship One – so the future is looking bright.”

2013 has been one of the best for Kear, in terms of game time. But, despite the World Cup now just months, rather than years away, he insists his focus remains on finishing the season strongly with Bradford.

“I’m just trying to take every game as it comes really and give my all. I’ve played every game this season so far, so I’m really pleased with that because I haven’t really been able to string this many games together before.

“If I get picked for Wales then I’ll just try my hardest. Wherever Iestyn chooses to pick me, whether it is wing or full back I’ll just give my all, because you can’t leave anything on the field in a World Cup.”

Tickets are now on sale for RLWC2013, with 55% of tickets priced £20 or less. To make sure you will BE THERE buy now at www.rlwc2013.com/tickets or call the 24-hour Ticket Hotline on 0844 847 2013.

#177 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

world-cup-day-h.jpg

Have your photo taken with the World Cup On Sunday 28th July, at the match against Gateshead Thunder, we will have the Rugby League World Cup trophy on display.

You can have your photo taken with the World Cup trophy after you enter The Gnoll for the game. Bookings are essential for timing purposes.

Kick-off for Scorpions v Gateshead is 1pm but we have an under 13s match preceding that you'll also be able to watch.

Please state how many people you'd like in the photo. We advise groups where possible to fit as many people in as we can.

#178 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

WALES STUDENTS IN WORLD CUP SEMIS

WALES 56 IRELAND 4

WALES finished second in group B after comfortably disposing of Ireland and will face Australia in the semi final at Batley on Friday.

A brace of tries each from Tom Hughes and Joel Knight helped them secure an impressive win against the luckless Irish.

Wales head coach Clive Griffiths expressed his delight at his side’s performance. “We needed a reaction after the last game against England and it was the perfect way to come back,” he said. “This will give us more confidence ahead of the knockout game.”

Wales took the lead after three minutes, capitalising on a penalty, for Scott Amber to go over and convert.

Ireland’s response was impressive, with front-rowers Tom McSwiney and Sean Rennison both coming close but failure to complete sets proved to be their undoing.

And they were duly made to pay by when centre Knight darted to the posts, Amber goaling.

The Irish continued in vain to conjure a response and once again found their mistakes proving costly as the Welsh went the length of the field to score a third try when Hughes reacted quickest to a loose ball after an Irish player attempted an interception.

With point’s difference crucial to ensure qualification, Wales were unrelenting, Yannic Parker became their fourth try-scorer, gliding through before Hughes got his second try after the excellent James Gahan’s initial break.

Unfortunately for Ireland, John Beattie crashed over from short range, only for his effort to be ruled out for a forward pass in the build up.

To make matters worse, Wales got their sixth try four minutes from half-time when Simon Wright forced his way over from five metres after Ireland scrum-half Shane Kelly kicked out on the full.

They saved their best try of the half for the final play, the adventurous Amber racing onto his own chip and passing to Christiaan Roets to score, Amber kicking his fifth conversion to make it 38-0 at the interval.

Knight got his second try after Ireland’s right flank was carved open with ease once more but Carl De Chenu’s side finally got what their effort deserved in the 56th minute.

After a steady increase in pressure prop Rennison, Ireland’s brightest spark throughout, charged his way over to the delight of the Emerald fans but James Kelly could not add the two points.

Their joy was short lived as, two minutes later, Izaak Duffy barged over.

The game entered a lull, with both sides struggling to create further chances, Ireland hampered by injury to Kelly.

There was still time for Wales to add a final try, as Callum Wilkinson touched down to bring up the half century.

#179 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

North Wales Crusaders head coach Clive Griffiths was left ecstatic after his side’s comfortable victory over Rochdale Hornets. The top-of-the-table clash with the Hornets had the potential to spring the promotion window wide open – but Crusaders came up with their best performance of the campaign yet to ease to a 48-0 win.“I’m so proud of that performance it’s unreal”, Griffiths said. “We put it together today and if we continue like that then we’ll take some beating.“To nil a team of that standard speaks volumes of the work that the boys put in today over 80 minutes.“Everyone put their hand up and it was incredible to see some of the tries. Rob Massam scored five tries, which is a fantastic landmark, but the approach work before that just emphasises what team spirit is all about.“I’m obviously delighted, but we’ve got a situation here where we’ve got to keep our feet on the ground and keep playing like that. If we can replicate that in the six remaining games then we’ll be tough to beat.”The only disappointment following Sunday’s victory for Griffiths is that his side now have to wait three weeks before their next game, the Northern Rail Bowl final at The Shay, Halifax.“The downside now is that we haven’t got a game in three weeks before we play in the final”, he said.“We’ll try to put something in in terms of competitiveness, but we haven’t got a game now for three weeks, and if we didn’t have the Bowl final then we wouldn’t have a game for a month.“It’s ludicrous, but that’s the hand that we’ve been dealt and that’s what we’ve got to get on with.”And the ex-Wales coach is expecting to have a real headache when it comes to selecting his team for the final , after impressive performances from all of his squad against Rochdale.“The toughest job for me at the moment is picking 17 and having to leave 10 people out”, Griffiths said.“Andy Gorski didn’t play and we’ve put Banny (Stephen Bannister) in there – and he’s put in a great performance. Tommy [Johnson] had a week off last week and has been chomping at the bit, so he’s come up with another great performance.“We’ve got huge competition for places here and how I’m going to pick 17 for the final I really don’t know.” - See more at: http://www.mission20...h.BqmgnRFo.dpuf

#180 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Any update on that big news we were expecting? Pen-y-bont Crusader?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users