town vs sheffield eagles

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yes agreed , very mixed feelings . Lots of positives but from that 80 minutes alone they were there for the beating today , and we had the chances to win comfortably . To have around 10 sets in their 20 in the second half and not come away with anything isn't good enough at this level . Lots of power lots of strength but as it went on it became more bang n barge at the line . Put a class half in that team and we'd be a top 6 team .So frustrating in having so much territory but being unable to make it count And why are we turning down kicks in front of the sticks . And doubly frustrating when you look at their scores which were all so soft . We had our pockets picked .. We're 80 % there , but that 20% that turns chances into points must be found or we'll keep getting taught harsh lessons ...top effort , top commitment , top forward effort , top first 40 , very proud of them , but you've got to have players who can put teams to bed when your in full ascendancy or at this level they'll bite you .

Edited by DavidM, 24 February 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#42 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

how the hell did calders not get man of the match?

my thoughts aswell wonky,calders was immense for us today.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#43 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

All the best to Big Red

#44 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

i think weve found the worst supported team in rugby, if there were 10 sheffield fans there i would be shocked. i think losing morris and then calders really disrupted us, and to be fair to coyle i thought he had a good 1st half. acton is a beast but gives far too many penalties away, 2 in possesion is a killer. calderwood was the best player on the pitch by some distance. i think we can take more positives than negatives and we should all be very proud of the boys, if we can put that first 40 over the 80 then we start to win a lot of games

Edited by wonky, 24 February 2013 - 05:20 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#45 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

All the best to Big Red

any news on the big fella?
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#46 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I didn't see what happened to him ... Great of the ref to spot a pen against Acton right under their sticks but not a pen when Calders was took out or playing advantage when Carter was gonna scoot away when he decided to blow for a scrum !!!

#47 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yes agreed , very mixed feelings . Lots of positives but from that 80 minutes alone they were there for the beating today , and we had the chances to win comfortably . To have around 10 sets in their 20 in the second half and not come away with anything isn't good enough at this level . Lots of power lots of strength but as it went on it became more bang n barge at the line . Put a class half in that team and we'd be a top 6 team .So frustrating in having so much territory but being unable to make it count And why are we turning down kicks in front of the sticks . And doubly frustrating when you look at their scores which were all so soft . We had our pockets picked .. We're 80 % there , but that 20% that turns chances into points must be found or we'll keep getting taught harsh lessons ...top effort , top commitment , top forward effort , top first 40 , but you've got to half players who can put teams to bed when your in full ascendancy or at this level they'll bite you .

Totally agree with all that. Why do we spurn two penalties which were closer to the sticks than the one we missed which would have given us a draw? Coyle played OK first half, missed tackle aside but anonymous second half when we needed something extra. Some bad decisions by ref made a difference = looked like it was a strip on Carter to me which lead to their try. Philips plays well but we need Mattinson back to tie them in around the ruck more. Promising though I doubt anyone could have argued had we won this game.

#48 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

thought the lads played with a lot of spirit today,very proud of their efforts,we just need that bit of craft and zip to make us a decent side,but hey lets enjoy the rugby on offer after years in the doldrums.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#49 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

All the best andy Morris also

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well I can tell you Oneday that when that ball spewed out of Carter the ref wasn't watching because I was looking at him . His back was turned and by the time he got into position they were running it in . But triply frustrating that two of their tries came from ultra soft dummy half runs and two from a prop carrying a shed load of defenders over . They didn't really get on top of us ever ,but we struggled to ask any questions as the game progressed. Coyle tired and Lupton struggled to make an impact . Liam Campbell was sitting infront of me ... Boy how would he go in this team !

Edited by DavidM, 24 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#51 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well I can tell you Oneday that when that ball spewed out of Carter the ref wasn't watching because I was looking at him . His back was turned and by the time he got into position they were running it in . But triply frustrating that two of their tries came from ultra soft dummy half runs and two from a prop carrying a shed load of defenders over . They didn't really get on top of us ever ,but we struggled to ask any questions as the game progressed. Coyle tired and Lupton struggled to make an impact . Liam Campbell was sitting infront of me ... Boy how would he go in this team !

Yes, Turley had his back to the play and he looked to his two useless TJ's and waved play-on, which they did and scored.

We didn't lose that game today and whats more we didn't deserve to lose it. With a more efficient set of officials that game would have seen a totally different scoreline. I thought Coyle showed what he is capable of in the first half but he became anonymous in the second half and that was probably due to his fitness. Acton was penalised twice by Turley for something that Menzies Yere did twice and got away with it - leading with his forearm.

I hope Ian Smith at the RFL gets Turley in and goes through the DVD with him to let him see that he isn't the best thing since sliced bread that he thinks he is!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#52 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

one of the turning points for me today was big Adam Walne forcing a pass out which went to ground ,the beagles gained possession and scored within the next set of six.we need to play a tad smarter when in possession ,and not force it when your in front ,its all about applying pressure not scoring off every set,not having a go at the big lad because i thought he had a solid game and scored a good try.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#53 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Firstly I hope Morris is ok, in the interview Charlo said it was just a bang on the head.
Not only the ref but his assistants were very poor today, the ball steal when they scored he wasn't looking but he got no help. He repeated the same feat later but fortunately we kept them out. Then when we score and he gives us a pen for a high tackle was a joke as he only blew the whistle when Brett broke through. They got 2 scrums after they knocked on too which killed us in the second half. The no pen from the Calderwood catch was another bad decision as their 18 didn't challenge for the ball IMO.
Our performance on the whole was excellent. Matty will bring so much more to our attack dont get me wrong Callum played well, he just needs a bit more experience. Calderwood was MOM by a mile.
We can be really upbeat about the way we played today against the champs.
Just one negative for me is the lack of leadership when we get a penalty. Who decides if we kick it? Why do they insist on this quick tap in the middle of the park and use up a tackle running it the ten yards we would have gained from the kick to touch?
All in all a great performance by the lads which was let down by injuries and officials.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#54 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Anyone know what the crowd was? On Sporting Life it is given as - 4,683 !!!!!!

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#55 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Anyone know what the crowd was? On Sporting Life it is given as - 4,683 !!!!!!

well if thats the case 4681 were town fans

#56 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Anyone heard what Charlos reaction was on the old wireless ?

#57 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

yeah, critical of the referee, saying sheffield got all the big decisions in the 2nd half.

disappointed with town's defence for at least a couple of sheffield's tries.

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

yeah, critical of the referee, saying sheffield got all the big decisions in the 2nd half.

disappointed with town's defence for at least a couple of sheffield's tries.

He's right though as both tries were from acting halfback right under our posts. Some poor marking at the PtB.

#59 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

pretty much bang on from him. i dont think sheffield scored a try that you wouldnt expect us to prevent. 2 where the gap under the sticks you could of got a bus through and the rest they basically carried defenders over the line and managed to ground the ball when in other weeks theres no chance we would of allowed that to happen.

#60 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Two dummy half shockers where props ran out of the line but ignored the ballcarrier , and two bargeovers with plenty of defenders . These teams just know how to win and get the job done . You can look at performances but its a harsh results business . Second best but two points , thanks for coming ...

Edited by DavidM, 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users