Rugby League Blog - www.eggchasing.wordpress.com

Follow Me On Twitter - @egg_chasing

#182 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Does he realise there's a salary cap?

Indeed, and looking at the current squad I can't imagine they're anywhere near, and wouldn't be surprised if it came about they've been well off the cap for a good few years. Especially when compared to the squads who are spending the full cap.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#183 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Instead of the BBC sports being in London and treating the game with indifference, Salford are within a stones throw. They can hob nob with the BBC sports people, give them free tickets to the ground, peak their interest every time they go across Barton Bridge and see the stadium and link it with Dr Koukash's latest publicity initiative re Salford and by default, Rugby league. Further on there is a WC game at Salford this autumn and others in nearby Lancashire towns. The proximity to the BBC at Salford shopuld be an advantage the game and Salford need to exploit..

So the sports hacks at the Salford studios receive a freebie VIP invitation to go watch one of RL's biggest SL losers before sparse crowds, and they will somehow jump at it, get down to Barton, and go back to the studio and big the club up.

Dream on.

For the sake of twenty minutes why shouldn't they go hob knob with Mr. Lenegan, Mr. McManus or Mr. Moran. After all there's top class players, top crowds and top RL on show. If I was a BBC sports hack I'd look at my various free VIP passes from the local clubs and put Salford's straight in the bin.

Then It'd be hard to choose from the others but I think I'd take Mr. Moran's as I may get me and the wife a couple of big concert tickets for free as well.

I may be wrong and Salford may actually be the most important rugby league club in the Cosmos. I will leave Professor Brian Cox to ajudicate on that.

Edited by The Parksider, 01 March 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#184 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

So the sports hacks at the Salford studios receive a freebie VIP invitation to go watch one of RL's biggest SL losers before sparse crowds, and they will somehow jump at it, get down to Barton, and go back to the studio and big the club up.

Dream on.

For the sake of twenty minutes why shouldn't they go hob knob with Mr. Lenegan, Mr. McManus or Mr. Moran. After all there's top class players, top crowds and top RL on show. If I was a BBC sports hack I'd look at my various free VIP passes from the local clubs and put Salford's straight in the bin.

Then It'd be hard to choose from the others but I think I'd take Mr. Moran's as I may get me and the wife a couple of big concert tickets for free as well.

I may be wrong and Salford may actually be the most important rugby league club in the Cosmos. I will leave Professor Brian Cox to ajudicate on that.

You are one negative person. Previous to the BBC sport moving to Salford, the alternative was to get them to the Stoop and jump board with RL from watching Bronos lose to Widnes.

How important Salford become will depend on the new management but it looks to be more ambitious than the Bradford re incarnation so far.

#185 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Of all those old boys I would only take Ratchford back.

Moon did the worst thing by claiming to be homesick then signing for Leeds, this was also before the financial problems.

Holdsworth isn't good or consistent enough to take back.

on other issues
The tram takes 30/40 mins depending on time of day. The 67 bus goes to the stadium.

#186 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Of all those old boys I would only take Ratchford back.

Moon did the worst thing by claiming to be homesick then signing for Leeds, this was also before the financial problems.

Holdsworth isn't good or consistent enough to take back.

on other issues
The tram takes 30/40 mins depending on time of day. The 67 bus goes to the stadium.

I assume you wouldn't want Myler because Sneyd and Fages look promising in the halfs. Agree regards Ratchford. Absolutely agree re Holdsworth and as for Moon, if he thinks he got some stick at Leeds the other week, he ain't heard nothing yet!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#187 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Myler is a talented lad but think Theo will be better if he carries on progressing. Think he has an all round better game.

Love the Doctor getting us attention and ruffling feathers. Should be interesting how the new guys go tonight.

#188 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Love the Doctor getting us attention and ruffling feathers. Should be interesting how the new guys go tonight.

Though it led to several months of uncertainty and worry, the decision by Salford council not to fund the club now looks to be the best thing that has happened to the Reds in years. It has led to an enthusiastic and successful businessman becoming involved and it is great to see stories about who might come to the club rather than being who is the next player to leave.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#189 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

judging by the scoreline tonight salford need to start making some realistic signings....not pie in the sky ones...

like lee gaskell....and daryl clark from cas

Edited by roughyedspud, 01 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#190 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

If I was Mr Koukash I'd be going for players like:

Daryl Clark, Danny Kirmond, Lee Gaskell, Kyle Amor, Mcarthy Scarsbrook, Simon Grix, Ben Harrison, Tony Club.

Players you are guaranteed to get a performance out of every week. They are what Salford need at the moment.

I'd maybe go for a marquee signing. Someone like Michael Dobson or maybe look to the NRL for someone along the lines of Matt Bowen or Jamie Soward.

#191 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Soward is a good shout. been touted for a SL switch for a couple of years.. maybe Matt Cooper from St.George also..

Was also thinking of Daryl Clark and LMS as the type of players Salford should be looking at.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#192 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

exactly...

but not jamie soward hes bobbns...im thinking anthony minnichello,braith anasta etc....experienced and can still play...and would compliment the british talent.

OLDHAM RLFC

#193 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Dr K,

All the Bulls players are poop.

Honest...

Try those superman at Huddersfield, and go tomorrow while the roads are quiet.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#194 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Koukash has just "promised" Salford supporters that performances like tonight (London at home) won't happen again. I'm not sure I can believe anything he says if he feels can promise something like that.

#195 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Dream on.

I was more thinking that they might drive past the stadium on the way to work every day (and hopefully think of Salford rather than Sale), that their kids might meet some players at a training session at school and want to see a match, that they might meet someone in the office who watches Salford and talks about RL as if it's just a regular sport rather than a wierd Northern tradition on a par with cheese rolling and bog snorkelling.

That kind of stuff.

But please, do keep dreaming.

Seriously Parky, you're normally much sharper than this.

That's me.  I'm done.

#196 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

In Marwan Koukash you are dealing with a chap who makes success his business, rest assured he will take Salford to the highest of heights, make some huge signings and is probably the only person in SL capable of putting a deal together to entice a coach like Tim Sheens to the UK, if that happens you can expect to see signings at Salford that even the biggest clubs in SL could only dream of.

The good Doctor has a medicine cabinet that can cure any ailment SL might bestow upon a club ;) .................its called a wealth of business experience and a ridiculously fat wallet.

#197 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

exactly...

but not jamie soward hes bobbns...im thinking anthony minnichello,braith anasta etc....experienced and can still play...and would compliment the british talent.

Anasta is a shout, maybe Sandow would be a cracking little player with experience. Get 5 or 6 decent players in who will perform week in week out and then a marquee to get the crowds in. That's all he can do at this stage.

#198 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

sandow is on huge money at parra....he ain't going anywhere....

peter wallace at brisbane could be got though i reckon...

OLDHAM RLFC

#199 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I was more thinking that they might drive past the stadium on the way to work every day (and hopefully think of Salford rather than Sale), that their kids might meet some players at a training session at school and want to see a match, that they might meet someone in the office who watches Salford and talks about RL as if it's just a regular sport rather than a wierd Northern tradition on a par with cheese rolling and bog snorkelling.

That kind of stuff.

Seriously Parky, you're normally much sharper than this.

Sorry Steve, I may be being thick here, but again how does the fact that Barton is close to BBC Sport in Salford make Salford the most important club in RL?

I am happy to wait until Mr. Sadlers article on Monday that will explain this in full.

Over the weekend I'll maintain my position that Leeds, Wigan, Hull, Broncos and Catalans are Superleagues most important clubs.

#200 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Koukash has started off very well with putting a fantastic administration in place. He has since moved onto the playing staff, whilst seemingly bypassing the single, most influential department; coaching.

LordCharles; Dr Koukash is not unique in the game by having wealth and business acumen, it is simply a case of his peers keeping a much lower profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users