TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#201 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

The good Doctor has a medicine cabinet that can cure any ailment SL might bestow upon a club ;) .................its called a wealth of business experience and a ridiculously fat wallet.

Then the good doctor can join the queue behind, Lenegan, McManus, Hughes, Pearson, Hudgell, Moran, O'Connor, Khan, Glover, Caddick etc.

Even the Duke of Westminster couldn't bestow any more on an RL team than the salary cap allows.

And you can't buy a players preference, the good doctor is finding this out......

#202 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

LordCharles; Dr Koukash is not unique in the game by having wealth and business acumen,

Apparently his Horses are winners. Shame they don't have stud farms for RL players.

#203 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Apparently his Horses are winners. Shame they don't have stud farms for RL players.

Disturbing mental image!

#204 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Koukash has started off very well with putting a fantastic administration in place. He has since moved onto the playing staff, whilst seemingly bypassing the single, most influential department; coaching.

The administration still has problems with ticketing and attracting attendances which are down on last year.Oh,and the club shop still does not possess any merchandise.
Now we have established how brilliant the administration has been since January,what problem do you have with the coaching ?

#205 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Koukash has started off very well with putting a fantastic administration in place. He has since moved onto the playing staff, whilst seemingly bypassing the single, most influential department; coaching.

Given his comments after last night's game there is quite a focus on coaching and performance to come.

#206 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Now we have established how brilliant the administration has been since January,what problem do you have with the coaching ?

He's not going to build a great club in two months. It will take years.

That's me.  I'm done.

#207 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Sorry Steve, I may be being thick here, but again how does the fact that Barton is close to BBC Sport in Salford make Salford the most important club in RL?

Because Salford, and only Salford, have the location and facilities to normalise the idea of rugby league in the minds of BBC Sport executives. It's as simple as that.

A big, powerful, SL club on the very doorstep of BBC Sport. You honestly can't see the value in that?

That's me.  I'm done.

#208 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

no not really.....but the RFL should move to media city to be next to the bbc though...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#209 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

This guy is going to be a laughing stock unless he tries to get a decent squad together, instead of trying to buy the best players in super league. It's about progression and someone should tell him that it isn't just going to happen. Some of the players he's mentioned trying to buy are just embarrassing.

#210 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

He's not going to build a great club in two months. It will take years.

Well,that is two of us who understand that. :)

#211 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

This guy is going to be a laughing stock unless he tries to get a decent squad together, instead of trying to buy the best players in super league. It's about progression and someone should tell him that it isn't just going to happen. Some of the players he's mentioned trying to buy are just embarrassing.

Did they call Moran a laughing stock when he forked out 200k for the best center in the league when Warrington were dwelling in the basement?
Posted Image

#212 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Koukash is trying to get a decent squad together, it just so happens that within that squad he'd like a major signing which signifies his intention that the squad will be more than just decent. The time of year is clearly difficult for what he is trying to achieve and currently relies on clubs being tempted to accept the transfer fees he indicated he was prepared to pay. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with a view to next year as players come off contract. Then there'll be another player in the market who can pay the full salary cap. Let's see what happens then.

#213 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

1. A big, powerful, SL club on the very doorstep of BBC Sport.

2. You honestly can't see the value in that?

1. Yes they call it Wigan don't they.

2. To try to say that the BBC doesn't know about Superleague but will somehow now discover it due to the move to Salford - do you honestly believe that

#214 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Did they call Moran a laughing stock when he forked out 200k for the best center in the league when Warrington were dwelling in the basement?

Yes. They did. I think you mean Martin Gleeson. Moran wasted a lot of time and money on bringing in good players until he finally got serious and tackled the culture of the club off the field.

You may have forgotten, but until Moran appointed Tony Smith Wire were an expensive laughing stock. Which is where Salford appear to be heading right now. I think this guy, like many rich men before him, is about to discover that building a rugby league club is a hell of a lot more difficult than it looks. That's fine, but I hope he doesn't get bored before he learns that lesson.

In the meantime the price of every player in the league just doubled when its Salford on the phone asking about his contract.

That's me.  I'm done.

#215 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

1. Yes they call it Wigan don't they.

2. To try to say that the BBC doesn't know about Superleague but will somehow now discover it due to the move to Salford - do you honestly believe that

You're missing the point. BBC Sport already knows about Wigan. It's a strange place where the locals have a fixation on a peculiar Northern quirk.

The point is to normalise the game in the minds of the BBC and therefore, by extension, lots of other people. Salford are a key vehicle for doing that.

That's me.  I'm done.

#216 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

The administration still has problems with ticketing and attracting attendances which are down on last year.Oh,and the club shop still does not possess any merchandise.

By administration, I mean Chief Exec, Graham Lowe and Andrew Ryan. Not the ticket and scarf sellers.

Phil Veivers isn't a great coach, that much is obvious. Great coaches make average squads, good. Average coaches make great squads, average.

#217 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

By administration, I mean Chief Exec, Graham Lowe and Andrew Ryan. Not the ticket and scarf sellers.

Phil Veivers isn't a great coach, that much is obvious. Great coaches make average squads, good. Average coaches make great squads, average.

I don't think TwoBlues was on about the people doing the selling. There are problems with ticketing. For the HKR game, I bought my ticket from the little ticket office at the back of the South Stand, walked 10 metres to the turnstile where they scanned the ticket, then said they had to re-scan it, re-scanned it and said it was not valid and I had to go back to the ticket office for a replacement. That was not, IMO, the fault of the ticket seller, it was a fault in the system. And if there is a fault in the system, it is a problem with administration.

You're right about great coaches, but we don't even have an average squad yet. Your point stands, though. The jury is still out on PV and, by association, SL.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#218 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

It's Andrew Chalmers.The administration,in my opinion will be first class,but until such time as Phil Veivers actually has a squad then judgement cannot possibly be made.
A patient owner,over at Widnes,seems to be reaping the rewards tonight,while a different individual may make friends with the supporters but the coach hasn't as yet had average or great results.Perhaps they need an ex-Salford half-back playing for them
http://www.thisishul...#axzz2MPhF2gtq

#219 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Because Salford, and only Salford, have the location and facilities to normalise the idea of rugby league in the minds of BBC Sport executives. It's as simple as that.

A big, powerful, SL club on the very doorstep of BBC Sport. You honestly can't see the value in that?

No, because Parky is the oracle of this forum whose knowledge transcends the mere opinions of the other mortals who he permits to post here.

I am not sure what qualifies him to be more well informed and wise than we mere mortals; I just know that he is.

Do not question the word of Parky. Parky knows best.

#220 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

It's Andrew Chalmers.The administration,in my opinion will be first class,but until such time as Phil Veivers actually has a squad then judgement cannot possibly be made.
A patient owner,over at Widnes,seems to be reaping the rewards tonight,while a different individual may make friends with the supporters but the coach hasn't as yet had average or great results.Perhaps they need an ex-Salford half-back playing for them
http://www.thisishul...#axzz2MPhF2gtq

I assume the above link is a reference to Holdsworth, whom Veivers had in his squad last season. Alongside Patten, Moon, Smith, et al it was a more than capable squad, therefore judgement can be made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users