Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#221 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

No, because Parky is the oracle of this forum whose knowledge transcends the mere opinions of the other mortals who he permits to post here.

I am not sure what qualifies him to be more well informed and wise than we mere mortals; I just know that he is.

Do not question the word of Parky. Parky knows best.

Grow up Pottsy.

The usual knee jerk reaction to something someone doesn't want to hear or doesn't like is getting all personal instead of supplying a counter argument.

Cut the extremely childish stuff that does you no favours and answer the point I make.

Salford are one of only FIVE SL clubs close to BBC sport's new headquarters, so why do you or Steve or Martin Sadler believe that Salford can exclusively grow off the back of the Beeb's presence.

When the BBC sport was in Shepherds Bush was it QPR that were growing big because they were on the Beeb's doorstep?

Just give me a reasoned and logical answer to why Salford are the most important club in the game?

#222 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Its certainly shaking up RL as we know it and it may be a good thing, surely paying a few fees to clubs in need of cash may be a good injection of funds in the game

#223 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Grow up Pottsy.

The usual knee jerk reaction to something someone doesn't want to hear or doesn't like is getting all personal instead of supplying a counter argument.

Cut the extremely childish stuff that does you no favours and answer the point I make.

Salford are one of only FIVE SL clubs close to BBC sport's new headquarters, so why do you or Steve or Martin Sadler believe that Salford can exclusively grow off the back of the Beeb's presence.

When the BBC sport was in Shepherds Bush was it QPR that were growing big because they were on the Beeb's doorstep?

Just give me a reasoned and logical answer to why Salford are the most important club in the game?

Nothing personal, Parky. And, as it happens, I don't buy into the idea that Salford is the most strategically important club in the game. That's not the issue.

What I do get sick of on these threads is the way you shout down the opinions of others, whilst dispensing your own opinions as though they're documented facts.

All things said, other than what we read in League Express and the tittle tattle we pick up online, none of us really know what's discussed in the 'corridors of power' so all opinions (even the crackpot ones) are equally valid.

If you do possess a hotline to Red Hall I apologise but I suspect you don't.

#224 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

You're missing the point. BBC Sport already knows about Wigan. It's a strange place where the locals have a fixation on a peculiar Northern quirk.

Rugby league and winning trophies?

Wigan's also fairly typical of the north and its standard non Manc, Scouse, Loiner stereotypes rather than being strange.

The point is to normalise the game in the minds of the BBC and therefore, by extension, lots of other people. Salford are a key vehicle for doing that.

Outside of the Quays, Salford and its hinterland is an absolute dump and conforms to much of the negative northern stereotypes. Salford are not a quick fix on public perception - RL stereotypes and prejudice run deep. The best way of changing people's views is to fill the modern stadiums around the league so that TV viewers see it as a sport on the up. We've been trying to make that happen for years but progress is slow and even stagnant in many areas, including Salford. One of these days we'll just have to accept that we are a minority sport and will remain one despite everyone's best efforts. I can't understand why the sport isn't more popular, but it just does not connect with a significant proportion of the population.

#225 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

What I do get sick of on these threads is the way you shout down the opinions of others, whilst dispensing your own opinions as though they're documented facts.

What way is this? How am I "shouting" where do I claim reasoned and logical arguments IMHO as "fact"?

How are all opinions equally valid when many are shown to be factually incorrect by research?

What you espouse is the ability of people to say anything they want, not back it up and then be respected for that.

If you don't like my style (and rest assured I like yours even less), then don't try to be the self styled people's champion, which you are not.

Don't be personal which you were, don't be utterly childish which you were.

Just grow up and follow the site rules.

Do the reasonable thing and put me on ignore now.

Edited by The Parksider, 03 March 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#226 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

I assume the above link is a reference to Holdsworth, whom Veivers had in his squad last season. Alongside Patten, Moon, Smith, et al it was a more than capable squad, therefore judgement can be made.

So your judgement,I presume,is that with those players,who either wanted out or were going out due to the financial situation,he should have done better ?
If it is your opinion that the coach should have done better,so be it.However it is now that there are murmurings of replacing him with another coach despite him having loan players at full back and centre.A tad unfair I think and I await with interest if any of those who left Salford are lifting silverware at the end of this campaign.
Do you have an opinion on coach Betts at Widnes ? Hardly set the Championship alight but O'Connor retained faith and there are indications of year on year improvement.Are you willing to express an opinon on whether or not you think Veivers will show an improvement on last years campaign;should he last the course ?

#227 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Grow up Pottsy.

What way is this? How am I "shouting" where do I claim reasoned and logical arguments IMHO as "fact"?

How are all opinions equally valid when many are shown to be factually incorrect by research?

What you espouse is the ability of people to say anything they want, not back it up and then be respected for that.

If you don't like my style (and rest assured I like yours even less), then don't try to be the self styled people's champion, which you are not.

Don't be personal which you were, don't be utterly childish which you were.

Just grow up and follow the site rules.

Do the reasonable thing and put me on ignore now.

Actually my recollection was that in the 70s QPR was often the popular destination of choice because they were in the top half of the old first division and it was just round the corner.

As much as you'd like it to be Wigan is not on the doorstep its about 20 miles away and whichever route you take in it tends to be a bit of a slog to get to.

#228 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I assume the above link is a reference to Holdsworth, whom Veivers had in his squad last season. Alongside Patten, Moon, Smith, et al it was a more than capable squad, therefore judgement can be made.

I don't really see how it can. Veivers essentially had the rug pulled from under him as the financial problems at the club led to it starting to unravel. The sale of Smith to Wigan when we were still challenging for the play offs, though financially necessary it can now be said, nevertheless signalled the end. Of the guys mentioned one went before the end of the season and the others pretty much put the cue in the rack and went through the motions.

#229 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

I applaud him speaking out about wanting the best and to make Salford a real force.

However, reading an article on the BBC is a little Draconian, and could backfire by making the players panic. There's giving underperforming players a kick up the backside and threatening them win unemployment.

I hope he doesn't start playing chess with people's jobs.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#230 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

As much as you'd like it to be Wigan is not on the doorstep its about 20 miles away

It's entirely up to you to hold the opinion Salford is now the most important club in the league because it's close to the Beeb, and Wigan is a slog to get to.

It doesn't gel with the idea reporters actually get out and about, and have a duty to provide extensive coverage.

In your point that I'd "like it to be Wigan", I don't actually care, but if people want to make out I'm Salford bashing fine.

#231 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

So your judgement,I presume,is that with those players,who either wanted out or were going out due to the financial situation,he should have done better ?
If it is your opinion that the coach should have done better,so be it.However it is now that there are murmurings of replacing him with another coach despite him having loan players at full back and centre.A tad unfair I think and I await with interest if any of those who left Salford are lifting silverware at the end of this campaign.
Do you have an opinion on coach Betts at Widnes ? Hardly set the Championship alight but O'Connor retained faith and there are indications of year on year improvement.Are you willing to express an opinon on whether or not you think Veivers will show an improvement on last years campaign;should he last the course ?

Where do you want to draw a base line from? Veivers took temporary charge halfway through 2011, with a Parish-inspired hiatus for a few games. Come next month, he will have been in charge for two years and all the while Salford have been inconsistent. So across three different seasons, granted 2013 is in its infancy Salford remain inconsistent? How much latitude do you want to give him?

#232 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

I don't really see how it can. Veivers essentially had the rug pulled from under him as the financial problems at the club led to it starting to unravel. The sale of Smith to Wigan when we were still challenging for the play offs, though financially necessary it can now be said, nevertheless signalled the end. Of the guys mentioned one went before the end of the season and the others pretty much put the cue in the rack and went through the motions.

I would cite Mick Potter as doing a far better job in much more trying circumstances.

#233 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Veivers has just been sacked

#234 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Veivers just been sacked lil bro tells me.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#235 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Smith as the next coach, he likes the challenge going from Huddersfield to bringing in trophies at Leeds and Warrington. Some may raise an eyebrow but it fits his pattern in Super League.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#236 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

He's gone...
Posted Image

#237 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Smith as the next coach, he likes the challenge going from Huddersfield to bringing in trophies at Leeds and Warrington. Some may raise an eyebrow but it fits his pattern in Super League.

Would be an excellent move by Salford and really would put a credible marker down.

Tim Sheens is looking for an SL job as well...

That's me.  I'm done.

#238 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Would be an excellent move by Salford and really would put a credible marker down.

Tim Sheens is looking for an SL job as well...

I copied that post on to the other thread about Veivers and I thought it would happen next year. Smith won't leave Warrington mid-season, but I think Brian Noble may take charge from now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#239 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I already have. In three simple bullet points

- size of local population
- size of local economy
- proximity to the sports journalism centre of the Worlds most prestigious broadcaster

It's as simple as that.

That's me.  I'm done.

#240 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Smith won't leave Warrington mid-season, but I think Brian Noble may take charge from now.

Maybe not. Coaches don't come under the salary cap and everyone has a price...

Noble would also be an excellent signing.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users