Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#41 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Jake's grandad played for Salford (and Wales) with distinction. He's far too good to be playing in the Championship.
Chase must surely be a mistake, given visa issues?

#42 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

whats the owner supposed to do,sit in the lower reaches of league getting tonked,the bloke is trying to put his hand in his pocket to improve the side,well done sir

Wigan and Hull never did anything like this, did they?

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I don't really agree with this point.

Morley, whilst old is still a big name in SL and would be a great signing on and off the field for Salford.

Chase is a former man of steel and England international.

If he was trying to get the fans to stay calm, this wouldn't be the way to go about it. I suspect he is trying to shore up the squad for this year, with the likes of Emmett, Griffin etc. but is looking for some big names asap to give the club a boost.

I applaud his approach (as long as he isn't peeing people off with inappropriate approaches) - it is an approach that Warrington went with in the early days at the HJ. We signed Martin Gleeson as a marker, then gradually improved the quality of our signings before making the Andrew Johns signing, which certainly gave the club a real boost and signaled that we were a club with ambition and wouldn't be settling for mediocrity.

If Salford can get one or two 'marquee players' then it would really help, but ultimately they need a stronger squad overall to support these players, and by the different kind of players he is approaching it looks like he is well aware of that!

Morely would be a perfect short term signing to focus the Salford fans on their team. He is a renowned figure with a freasome reputation and, to boot, a born and bred Salfordian.

#44 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

First Morley, now Chase and Emmit

I really don't like the "I've loads of money so come and join us approach"

Not really endearing himself to others is he?

Dont Cas offer better money to players than them players get at certain clubs to tempt them to join Cas, when them players are about come off contract?

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

What do you expect him to do? As long as he approaches the clubs and not the players, what is the problem?

There is no problem.

Koukash is supposed to look to spend up to the cap and is doing so as openly as any SL club.

I'm sure there's no inference of "additional riches" here.

But even though the response is sparse he's still putting down the markers spoken about that salford are now in for players in as big a way as any of the top clubs.

That's what we want. We don't want clubs adjusting their salaries down because they can't afford it. there's nothing super about that.

Finally good point on the idea that talent is very sparse at the moment. I'm sure Mr. K will know that and guess he's thinks he may not be able to beat 'em but he can join 'em.

It will need players to take a different attitude to salford and that's maybe why Dr. K is going round basically announcing he's looking to go to the top....

#46 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Mrs Chase, probably.

Badum tsh!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#47 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I dont see the problem, like said hes asking the clubs if there interested n when told no he moves on if only every club worked like that!!!
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#48 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Worth remembering the circumstances concerning Matt Smith's move to Wigan last year; Salford have been practically chivalrous by comparison

#49 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Worth remembering the circumstances concerning Matt Smith's move to Wigan last year; Salford have been practically chivalrous by comparison

To be fair, Pottsy, I think we were not unhappy to sell Matty as we needed the money and six months later, we'd've got nowt.

(Speaking from the club's pov, not the fans)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#50 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Good on Salford for asking can they buy a player, nothing wrong with it.

Showing good intentions.

If Castleford did sell (if they can due to visa issues) they could buy a few players instead of loaning players.

KT is having a moan, I can understand he's view but he needs to understand its life... :unsure: :o :D

#51 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Salford can try to sign whoever they like, best of luck to them.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#52 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Dont Cas offer better money to players than them players get at certain clubs to tempt them to join Cas, when them players are about come off contract?

Are Morley and Chase about to come off contract?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#53 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Someone tries to sign someone shocker.......if you don't ask you don't get, if I was a Salford fan I'd be hoping Dr Koukash waves hios fat wad in every direction possible over the next few months

#54 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

To be fair, Pottsy, I think we were not unhappy to sell Matty as we needed the money and six months later, we'd've got nowt.

(Speaking from the club's pov, not the fans)

Hmmm, according to John Wilkinson MS was tapped up by a member of the England coaching staff whilst in camp for the Exiles game.

#55 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Are Morley and Chase about to come off contract?

I don't know. What i do know is that some players have it written in their contracts that they can leave a club if they receive a better offer from another club.

#56 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I don't know. What i do know is that some players have it written in their contracts that they can leave a club if they receive a better offer from another club.

Or maybe the new Mr, Salford was willing to pay a transfer fee,i remember them

#57 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

What is the problem with the owner of a professional sports club in doing the very thing that he is supposed to be doing, which is investing in fielding the most competitive team with the aim of winning matches and ultimately trophies? Every statement that Dr Koukash has made shows that he wants that winning mentality to be associated with Salford. In order to get to that destination he has two choices. He can fund an academy with a network of scouts to unearth raw talent and use the best coaching to develop those players into world-beaters. Dr Koukash probably does not want to wait 5-10 years to see the fruits of that policy, so he is left with approaching the clubs of quality players to see if they would be willing to enter into transfer negotiations. That is the nature of sport and there is nothing wrong with that so long as the correct processes are followed.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#58 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Or maybe the new Mr, Salford was willing to pay a transfer fee,i remember them

Correct. Perhaps Cas have never payed a transfer fee.

#59 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

He can fund an academy with a network of scouts to unearth raw talent

Can he? There'll be ten other clubs chasing what raw talent there is.

#60 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hmmm, according to John Wilkinson MS was tapped up by a member of the England coaching staff whilst in camp for the Exiles game.

Didn't know that, Pottsy. I know it sounds bad - "tapped up" - but don't you think that sort of thing happens all the time? "You ever thought of playing for us, mate? We've got a great set-up." Over a drink in the bar, it doesn't seem unreasonable. It could even be the other way round. "How are you lot fixed for half-backs?" "Joe Bloggs is off at the end of the season, there could be a space. Why? Are you interested?"

If it was genuinely a case of 'tapping up', ("You're a good half-back. Why don't you you leave that sinking ship and join us?") then it was wrong. But it would be impossible to prove.

Still, thanks for your input. As I said, I wasn't aware of that.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users