Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#81 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Either there's a serious 'misery guts' infestation on this forum or people are starting to get a little nervous about Salford.

I don't think Salford will snatch Tomkins from Wigan but what they are doing is signalling massive intent to any other top players that the club is serious in its ambitions, whilst also generating big column inches locally.

Dr K's bid for Tomkins might not come off but it might well be the tipping point that allows us to sign someone like Rangi Chase or, better still, Stefan Ratchford.

#82 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

I don't think Salford will snatch Tomkins from Wigan but what they are doing is signalling massive intent to any other top players that the club is serious in its ambitions, whilst also generating big column inches locally.

Not just locally. The story of the Tomkins interest reached BBC 5 Live.

#83 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Koukash has now approached Wigan for Sam Tomkins.

If true then its getting a bit silly,as if Wigan would sell or that Sam would want to go,publicity is one thing,stupidity is another

#84 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

If true then its getting a bit silly,as if Wigan would sell or that Sam would want to go,publicity is one thing,stupidity is another

Good luck to Salford, if they can pull off a deal for Tomkins then it'll sure shake up the SL and raise their profile. Terrible move in the short term for Wigan, but could be a shrewd sale if the price is right given Sam was unlikely to be at Wigan beyond this season in any case. If I were Lenegan I'd also be touting Hock's contract to Dr Koukash.

#85 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Good luck to Salford, if they can pull off a deal for Tomkins then it'll sure shake up the SL and raise their profile. Terrible move in the short term for Wigan, but could be a shrewd sale if the price is right given Sam was unlikely to be at Wigan beyond this season in any case. If I were Lenegan I'd also be touting Hock's contract to Dr Koukash.

Agree - everyone should be for sale at any time. Dr Koukash has what EVERY club is desperate for....................................CASH. Anybody who pays £150 k a month in Horse Training fees has to be respected. Incidentally going back many many years - Swinton had a great Stand Off in Billy `Daz` Davies. Wigan bought him for a huge £10,000. He broke his leg badly in his first game and to my knowledge never played many more games. Cash is king and at the moment KouKASH is king at Salford. Its a fun time to be a Red at the moment.

#86 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

As has been stated elsewhere, to gain some credibility to these offers, signings have to be made.

#87 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Agree - everyone should be for sale at any time. Dr Koukash has what EVERY club is desperate for....................................CASH. Anybody who pays £150 k a month in Horse Training fees has to be respected. Incidentally going back many many years - Swinton had a great Stand Off in Billy `Daz` Davies. Wigan bought him for a huge £10,000. He broke his leg badly in his first game and to my knowledge never played many more games. Cash is king and at the moment KouKASH is king at Salford. Its a fun time to be a Red at the moment.

As an outsider it's nice to see the change in fortunes from the despairing situation of only a month ago. SL can only be made better by another club being capable of competing at a financial level. Hopefully Dr. Koukash is in for the long haul and can build something at Salford.

#88 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

The problem goes deeper than this. I believe several top Super League coaches have Sky subscriptions which they quite brazenly use to watch the rugby on, even when their team is not playing. No wonder the gap between top and bottom isn't closing.

It's not quite as bad as you think. I understand Craig Sandercock cancelled his Sky subscription about 8.00pm last night.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#89 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Agree - everyone should be for sale at any time. Dr Koukash has what EVERY club is desperate for....................................CASH. Anybody who pays £150 k a month in Horse Training fees has to be respected

Only if he spends it wisely. There's a lot of rich idiots out there.

It took Ken Davy, who is nobody's fool, about eight years to start really taking it seriously. By then he'd already wasted several million.

That's me.  I'm done.

#90 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Hopefully Dr. Koukash is in for the long haul and can build something at Salford.

I really do hope so. It's a major strategic club and the game needs it to be successful.

That's me.  I'm done.

#91 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Steve - I think Dr K has been sensible. His first 3 signings were Farish, Chalmers & Lowe so his backroom team know the ropes and understand the financial side. Ken Davy has succeeded because he has taken a long term approach which is now bearing fruit.

#92 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Steve - I think Dr K has been sensible. His first 3 signings were Farish, Chalmers & Lowe so his backroom team know the ropes and understand the financial side. Ken Davy has succeeded because he has taken a long term approach which is now bearing fruit.

That is why I think he will succeed, those first three appointments were incredibly shrewd.

#93 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Money talks..make an offer Wigan cant refuse....sell Tomkins on two years down the road to the NRL or union for a PROFIT...build a team around him in the mean time....maybe not as daft as it sounds :rolleyes:

Tounge out of cheek now :D

Edited by yanto, 26 February 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#94 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,228 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I really do hope so. It's a major strategic club and the game needs it to be successful.

Is it a major strategic club?

Unlike Bradford the RFL/SLE appeared ready to let it go not so long ago.

Major strategic clubs have been Paris, London and South Wales.

In "Lancashire" Wigan, Wire and Saints are the three top clubs who appeal across the old county.

Widnes are struggling to find a team and a crowd even with Mr. O'Connor.

Dr. Koukash and Salford are in the same boat. The good doctor knows what he has to offer Superleague and it isn't a club on crowds of 2,000 with a junior infrastructure of a few clubs.

It's pots of cash so he announces what he has to offer by bidding for the games biggest name.

Come 2015 quite a number of SL applicants will have little to offer Superleague and after the usual half dozen automatically collect their new licenses the rest will really be bidding by showing the RFL how far their wallets will open.

#95 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Come 2015 quite a number of SL applicants will have little to offer Superleague and after the usual half dozen automatically collect their new licenses the rest will really be bidding by showing the RFL how far their wallets will open.

I don't think there is any proof that Licensing will continue.If every Super League club has a shiny new stadium with plastic seats on what criteria will a Championship club gain promotion ? Licensing hasn't prevented financial strife.Widnes gained the license after apparently being told to improve their youth structures.What now after the Under 20's ended and dual registration has become what it has ?
Think it's back to promotion and relegation by performances on the field,and players recruited from wherever.

#96 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,228 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

1. I don't think there is any proof that Licensing will continue.

2. If every Super League club has a shiny new stadium with plastic seats on what criteria will a Championship club gain promotion?

3. Licensing hasn't prevented financial strife.

4. Widnes gained the license after apparently being told to improve their youth structures.What now after the Under 20's ended and dual registration has become what it has ?

5. Think it's back to promotion and relegation by performances on the field,

6. and players recruited from wherever.

1. No no absolute proof. We will see in good time Sir.

2. Money. It's always been the case and always will be the case. Dr. Koukash has the money to buy any criteria he wishes. Leigh have no money.

3. Licensing was not created to prevent financial strife. It was created to facilitate growth but never guarantee it.

It's a big fat myth that because SL clubs get into financial bother Licensing has failed.

4. All the youth structures remain fully in place for the Youths i.e budding players up to 19 years old.

5. The semi-pro teams that perform on the field and win promotion never get it. They are dismantled and professionals brought in.

6. If the game abandons developing players with the dreadful record it has to date then the game is dead.

Edited by The Parksider, 26 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#97 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

It'd be nice to see some real investment in the promotion of the club. The fact is that playing games in front of empty stands isn't really what players want - it's not going to make them head down to Salford.

TBH I'd be as drastic as letting people in free for an upcoming game - get people back in the ground, get the place buzzing, get their contact details, show the intent - ideally link it in with the unveiling of a player signing.

#98 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think it would be a good thing if Dr K sign Sam, and thereby keep him in the game. It may be a short term catastrophe for Wigan, but good for the game. I hope that Wigan don't come up with anything overly curmudgeonly about this - it's a rare bit of good news, let's enjoy the fun.
It is a wonderful thing that Salford are looking to shop at Harrods.
I think their coaches deserve a run with better quality players, as they seem capable of getting some high quality, attractive rugby intermittently out of the existing squad.

#99 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,228 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

It'd be nice to see some real investment in the promotion of the club. The fact is that playing games in front of empty stands isn't really what players want - it's not going to make them head down to Salford.

TBH I'd be as drastic as letting people in free for an upcoming game - get people back in the ground, get the place buzzing, get their contact details, show the intent - ideally link it in with the unveiling of a player signing.

They made an occasion of the last game at the Willows. 10,000 fans.

Then they made a ball & chalk of it.

Your idea is a great one, but the game and time and performance need to be right.

#100 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,228 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

It is a wonderful thing that Salford are looking to shop at Harrods.

Harrods have plenty of expensive stock.

Imagine Koukash signing the best 25 players in the game.

How many clubs would collapse as Salford re-build.

It's great he can afford anyone, but the rise of Salford could be the decline of others due to the quality player shortage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users