Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#101 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Dr K's various pronouncements suggest that he's not in it for short-term purchased success with no foundation. Come the beginning of next season, there will no doubt have been several sensible signings that will stiffen up the backbone of the current squad.

But having a marquee name or three will help with publicity and also on the field, if the new-look team can be built around them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#102 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

They made an occasion of the last game at the Willows. 10,000 fans.

Then they made a ball & chalk of it.

Your idea is a great one, but the game and time and performance need to be right.

Yep - since that last game at the Willows they just haven't captured the imagination of the Salford public.

I think I remember reading that they didn;t even bother trying to take customer's contact details to compile their own database - this is now a new regime, so hopefully they will do things differently.

#103 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I am happy with the good doctor so far, he views the club as a business first and a hobby second. The new management team are reviewing all the management structures within the club and all employees will be accountable, including the players.

For me the next big signing should be a player that has the qualities of Kevin Sinfield.

At the game on Sunday I was discussing the captaincy with some other fans and we agreed Wild doesn't spend long enough on the pitch to be captain, but we all struggled to name a replacement.

We have a couple of young players that should they develop we can start to build a team around, there are others that realy will need to move on (especially in the pack).

Koukash was stood with some fans on Sunday having a quick fag prior to the game and he asked them who they would want to sign, they all said Tomkins, the very next day he asks Wigan to name their price :D

Salford could be an important club he could be resonsible for introducing new money men to the game, and it is nice to see fans of some of the other clubs getting a little twitchy.

This is a very long term project, but hopefully the Doc is willing to stick around to make it happen.

#104 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Have Wigan said no yet? :unsure:

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#105 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,512 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

1. I am happy with the good doctor so far, he views the club as a business first and a hobby second.

2. Salford could be an important club he could be resonsible for introducing new money men to the game, and it is nice to see fans of some of the other clubs getting a little twitchy.

1. Did you get that wrong way round :o Shurely you don't want him working within the club's income?

2. When Salford hit the top the rest slip a rung. They'll all be wishing him the best through gritted teeth!

#106 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

i want the club run as a business, I want it to be professional in every aspect of its dealings not as a hobby.

This isn't about it making money it is about standards and the quality of the employees. How can we atteract fans without a marketing budget and the best people running the campaigns.

Previously we have had situations where the media guy is appointed adn knows someone who could knock up a web site, but as a side line runs the club shop. I want to be confident that the people employed know their jobs and are good.

#107 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,512 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

How can we atteract fans without a marketing budget and the best people running the campaigns.

By Koukash chucking millions about until he has all the best players??

#108 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

But without marketing no one will know we have signed them.

#109 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

i want the club run as a business, I want it to be professional in every aspect of its dealings not as a hobby.

This isn't about it making money it is about standards and the quality of the employees. How can we atteract fans without a marketing budget and the best people running the campaigns.

Previously we have had situations where the media guy is appointed adn knows someone who could knock up a web site, but as a side line runs the club shop. I want to be confident that the people employed know their jobs and are good.

As long as i can remember Salford RLFC have been poor at marketing the club it self and its match days in my opinion.

#110 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Harrods have plenty of expensive stock.

Imagine Koukash signing the best 25 players in the game.

How many clubs would collapse as Salford re-build.

It's great he can afford anyone, but the rise of Salford could be the decline of others due to the quality player shortage.

So!. That's sport, swings and pendulums. Wigan have been relegated before. Huddersfield and Bradford have been dire 2nd division clubs. Halifax have been champions and Cup holders in the last few years. It might just be Salford's time to shine.

Also, how do you define strategic. The Bulls could die tomorrw and there would still be Huddersfield, Leeds, Wakefield in the immediate area in SL and Halifax waiting in the wings. West Yorkshire would still be big in SL.

If Salford had died, the whole of Manchester megapolis would have been lost to RL in the backyard of Media city with a brand new stadium. I think the argument can easily be made that Salford are a more strategic asset to SL, being, as they are, the sole vanguard RL team for one of the biggest cities in the UK as opposed to a team from a small insignificant rust belt city in an area already well served by several SL teams.

#111 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

id start by handing out 10,000 free ticket for their game v london at the weekend....

Edited by roughyedspud, 26 February 2013 - 04:21 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#112 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

id start by handing out 10,000 free ticket for their game v london at the weekend..

BOGOF.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#113 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

you bogof!!!!

;)

OLDHAM RLFC

#114 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

you bogof!!!!

;)

http://www.love-more...ers#offer-id-35

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#115 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

oh.....lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#116 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

That's good to see. Could start to see crowds improve in the wake of the win last week and the publicity Dr K is generating with the stories he's putting out into the media.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#117 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I know what the "free ticket" mob are on about, but with respect it won't work.

If you get something for nowt, you don't value it. Scenario: I've got a free ticket for Friday. It starts to rain. Shall I go or shall I stay home and watch Sky? ###### it! I'll stay home. It cost me nowt, so I've lost nowt.

Plus, if people have to pay a bit (say a fiver), you can quiz them about their sporting likes, contact details, etc. Then you market to them!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#118 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Is it a major strategic club?

Manchester - the UK's second most important city and home of BBC Sport.

You don't even need to ask the question, surely?

That's me.  I'm done.

#119 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I think its excellent. He should be applauded. A club that was on its backside now ruffling feathers of Warrington and trying to sign one of the biggest talents in the league.

Salford ruffling Warrington's feathers.............post of the year thus far by a country mile. I can't stop laughing!
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#120 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Good offer, but i think it will be even more worrying for the club if they "still" can only manage a couple of thousand fans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users