Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#121 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Myler appearing at the Challenge cup final with Warrington annoyed Salford fans.

I don't know why as he was never going to appear in one with Salford anyway????????????
Myler had ambition,Salford didn't. Myler had outgrown Salford and needed,no disrespect intended,a bigger club and better coaching set up to develop him further as a player. Salford signed him for nothing and accepted an offer 0f around £200,000 for him. They didn't have to accept,they could have said no..........but didn't?
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#122 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I don't know why as he was never going to appear in one with Salford anyway????????????
Myler had ambition,Salford didn't. Myler had outgrown Salford and needed,no disrespect intended,a bigger club and better coaching set up to develop him further as a player. Salford signed him for nothing and accepted an offer 0f around £200,000 for him. They didn't have to accept,they could have said no..........but didn't?

Ignoring your sarcasm <_< , you are quite right about a move being in Myler's best interests. Remember who was coaching us then?

University Challenge: Your starter for ten. Who would you rather have as your coach, Shaun McRae or Tony Smith?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#123 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Either there's a serious 'misery guts' infestation on this forum or people are starting to get a little nervous about Salford.

I don't think Salford will snatch Tomkins from Wigan but what they are doing is signalling massive intent to any other top players that the club is serious in its ambitions, whilst also generating big column inches locally.

Dr K's bid for Tomkins might not come off but it might well be the tipping point that allows us to sign someone like Rangi Chase or, better still, Stefan Ratchford.

Warrington see Ratchford as replacement for Briers,there's no chance he'd end up back at Salford in my opinion. Warrington have a wealthy backer too,so the coin of Koukash wouldn't even raise an eyebrow down Mike Gregory way.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#124 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Warrington have a wealthy backer too,so the coin of Koukash wouldn't even raise an eyebrow down Mike Gregory way.

This is a good point. A number of clubs have wealthy backers so it's not quite the competitive advantage it used to be.

The key now is to spend the money wisely. Case in point - Huddersfield are (finally) developing a state of the art training facility on a site near the town centre.

That's me.  I'm done.

#125 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

There is only Cas and HKR who haven't wealthy owners although the Rovers have two guys underwriting their losses.

So where will Dr Koukash and Graham Lowe get their top quality players from?
Wealthy owners of other clubs aren't going to sell their best players when they are so hard come by, so where will these top class players arrive from? Union's door was shut nearly two decades ago. The NRL is now almost out of reach apart may be for a bad boy or reserve player. So where is left?

The offers he's put out for Morley, Chase and Tomkins won't have been listened to and clubs will be even quicker to re-sign their best players on long term deals.

The only place is to pick up players are those released and then have a squad good enough to make the top eight.
Wakefield did it when Glover took over with Agar as coach. Noble did it as coach at Crusaders with a club that didn't have any money.
So that's where Salford may have to start. Once they get in the eight then attitiudes towards them may well change. Until then who knows, at least the publicity is good for the club though.
The most important thing is they re-start their U age teams. That, long term, will be their best bet for bringing good players to their club is to sign them young. Quality youngsters with quality coaches.

#126 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

So where will Dr Koukash and Graham Lowe get their top quality players from?

I do wonder, if with a keen eye for potential and a big enough offer to make them switch to being full time if you couldn't assemble a top 8 squad with players plucked out of the Championship.

#127 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

The most important thing is they re-start their U age teams. That, long term, will be their best bet for bringing good players to their club is to sign them young. Quality youngsters with quality coaches.

I read an interesting article with Lowe online in which he stated that they are going to be working with Oldham to try and get them promoted so that their young players have stiffer competition to play against under the dual registration system introduced this season (it would be ironic if that was the outcome and then the under 20s were reinstated next year!). I do think the club is thinking everything through - that's the impression I'm getting from the interviews and such like I am reading - and revising everything the club has previously done, from the matchday programme (which has been totally revamped) to recruitment policy to developing revenue streams outside the matchday experience.

#128 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I do wonder, if with a keen eye for potential and a big enough offer to make them switch to being full time if you couldn't assemble a top 8 squad with players plucked out of the Championship.

(Using journalistic licence)

1. Lalu-Togagye
2. Lineham
3. Yere
4. Hardaker
5. Johnson
6. Finn
7. Brough
8. Hill
9. Penkywicz
10. Walmsley
11. Davies
12. Bracek
13. Murrell

Not a bad starter for 13... :D
Posted Image

#129 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Manchester - the UK's second most important city and home of BBC Sport.

You don't even need to ask the question, surely?

I don't remember you classing Huyton as strategically important what with being Liverpool, or Sheffield being strategically important?

If anyone loves their RL round Manchester way it ain't far to Warrington or Wigan.

#130 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

If Salford had died, the whole of Manchester megapolis would have been lost to RL

So nobody in Manchester or Salford would play RL or go pay to watch it.

Why is it Soccer fans have cars, buses, coaches and trains they all get on to go watch their favoured clubs yet all RL fans apparently sit inside their city boundaries??

I can tell you now nobody from Manchester watches Wigan ;)

#131 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

There are probably 99% of clubs who have supporters who dont live in the town/city of the club they support.Thats a bit of a bold statement Mr P. :)

#132 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Take the sarcasm mate ;)

#133 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

There are probably 99% of clubs who have supporters who dont live in the town/city of the club they support.Thats a bit of a bold statement Mr P. :)

BRK is used to the sarcasm on this point. I do apologise for misleading you.

For a long time on this board fans have argued that if any club dies in an area the game will die with it and fans will go watch soccer. I was told if HKR went east Hull would become exclusively soccer

Then there's the arguments I've heard that nobody from Keighley or Halifax watches Bradford.Nobody from Leigh watches Wigan.

However those without an axe to grind do freely agree with you that people come from all over to watch clubs

An old time Cas fan admitted he knew a lot of Cas fans but none were from Castleford.

When Wigan are at home the trains fromManchester and the M60 has fans going to the game on the rail/roadways.

Fans of small clubs who see SL clubs attracting the bulk of the support need arguments against this which is understandable.....

Edited by The Parksider, 26 February 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#134 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Go for Kallum Watkins, young, big name, Manchester lad.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#135 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think Morley is the signing they needed to make when they moved Ito the new ground. Still don't think it's too late he may not be the same player on the pitch but would have a good affect on fans identifying with the relocated club. After him they could go in for the long haul and improve slightly each year. Don't think this is the Dr s style so I expect a few more enquiries before the seasons out.

#136 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

An old time Cas fan admitted he knew a lot of Cas fans but none were from Castleford.

Incidentally, of your 13,500+ posts how many reference this one comment?!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#137 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

the problem is for salford sunday's gate of 1900 proved that no-one in the city wants to watch the club................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#138 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Is it a major strategic club?

Unlike Bradford the RFL/SLE appeared ready to let it go not so long ago.

Major strategic clubs have been Paris, London and South Wales.

In "Lancashire" Wigan, Wire and Saints are the three top clubs who appeal across the old county.

Widnes are struggling to find a team and a crowd even with Mr. O'Connor.

Dr. Koukash and Salford are in the same boat. The good doctor knows what he has to offer Superleague and it isn't a club on crowds of 2,000 with a junior infrastructure of a few clubs.

It's pots of cash so he announces what he has to offer by bidding for the games biggest name.

Come 2015 quite a number of SL applicants will have little to offer Superleague and after the usual half dozen automatically collect their new licenses the rest will really be bidding by showing the RFL how far their wallets will open.

kevin brown gareth hock?? oh and a membership of around 5000 already this season. stop talking twaddle parky, hope you come to widnes next week when we play bratfut to witness first hand our support..........................just ask any salford fan who was at the SoCS last season and saw the viking invasion!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#139 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sure i saw something on twitter this morning linking Salford with Jamie Soward and Todd Carney. I think any big name they sign will come from Down Under.. and be supplemented by good established, but not neccessarily superstar, super league players

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#140 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

todd carney will never get a visa to play over here, huddersfield had him in the bag and because of his off field misdemeanours his visa application was knocked bak, shame as i rate him as one of the best in the world.......there's no real harm in trying to get the big names we went for darren lockyer arguably the biggest name of the past 30 years, and now we have signed two top quality players in brown and hock with danny tickle coming in for next season as well. good luck reds everyone laughed widnes off but they are starting to take notice of our intentions now.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users