Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#141 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

BRK is used to the sarcasm on this point. I do apologise for misleading you.

For a long time on this board fans have argued that if any club dies in an area the game will die with it and fans will go watch soccer. I was told if HKR went east Hull would become exclusively soccer

Then there's the arguments I've heard that nobody from Keighley or Halifax watches Bradford.Nobody from Leigh watches Wigan.

However those without an axe to grind do freely agree with you that people come from all over to watch clubs

An old time Cas fan admitted he knew a lot of Cas fans but none were from Castleford.

When Wigan are at home the trains fromManchester and the M60 has fans going to the game on the rail/roadways.

Fans of small clubs who see SL clubs attracting the bulk of the support need arguments against this which is understandable.....

I don't think it's wrong to say that teams attract supporters from other areas than their own. However, I think that the vast majority of supporters come from the area in which the team is situated.

If Manchester United moved to a 100,000 all seater stadium in Inverness, I don't think they would fill it with travelling supporters. When MK dons moved to Milton keyes did all the old Wimbldon supporters follow them to their new home. When saints went to Widnes for a season whlist Langtree Park was being built, their attendances halved and Widnes is very close to St Helens.

I think you are mistaken in your theory on this point.

#142 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I think that the vast majority of supporters come from the area in which the team is situated.

I think you are mistaken in your theory on this point.

I think some do some don't. You go further "vast" majority - evidence please?

#143 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think some do some don't. You go further "vast" majority - evidence please?

If a majority of Saints supporters were out of towners from far afield, the move to Widnes would not have resulted in the dramatic drop in attendance that it did.

#144 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

If a majority of Saints supporters were out of towners from far afield, the move to Widnes would not have resulted in the dramatic drop in attendance that it did.

Is that evidence, logic, reasoning or a statement I find hard to understand.

Read the Viking Warrior story. Saints lad through and through, Widnes fanatic.

#145 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Is that evidence, logic, reasoning or a statement I find hard to understand.

Read the Viking Warrior story. Saints lad through and through, Widnes fanatic.

I read it and I agreed from the first paragraph of my post that some people do travel from outside a clubs area to support it, so Viking Warrior is one of those. I do not think Viking warrior is representative of most Widnes fans.

#146 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think Morley is the signing they needed to make when they moved Ito the new ground. Still don't think it's too late he may not be the same player on the pitch but would have a good affect on fans identifying with the relocated club. After him they could go in for the long haul and improve slightly each year. Don't think this is the Dr s style so I expect a few more enquiries before the seasons out.

Adrian is 35,and he's been a great player for Warrington and every other club he has played for. If I had been the owner of Warrington, when Dr K. came calling,cheque book in hand I would have asked Adrian if he had any desire to finish his playing days at Salford. If the answer was no then he was welcome to stay at Warrington. If the answer was yes then I would have asked Dr K. to at least match the contract Adrian is on currently at Warrington. I would have then quoted the fee I was prepared to lose a player of the quality of Adrian Morley for..............£250,000 minimum..........so how serious are you Dr K? if he was serious then everyone is happy, and I then have £250,000 to buy a suitable,and probably considerably younger replacement prop forward. No room for sentiment in sport,Wigan had no problem offloading Hanley when the considered him a little past his prime and used the cash from Leeds to sign Offiah. Should Warrington have maybe looked at a deal with Dr. K?
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#147 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

That's the price, take it or leave it!

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#148 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I think he would have left it.

Fair enough...........but he doesn't get his man,doesn't make his desired statement of intent,loses credibility and is taken much less seriously by the club of the next player he targets.

#149 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,084 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Have Wigan said no yet? :unsure:

Yes, they have.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#150 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I don't think Sintelliners are a good case study, it isn't the European hotspot of inbreeding for nothing. Some of the locals don't venture outside their own family never mind their town.

#151 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Not necessarily true though.

He could very well make the case that he made a serious bid for a player rapidly approaching the end of his career, and whilst he knew the impact the player could have, was not willing to pay 10 times as much as the player was obviously worth.

Your saying Morley is only worth £25,000???????????????? Get real!!!!!!!!!!

#152 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I don't think Sintelliners are a good case study, it isn't the European hotspot of inbreeding for nothing. Some of the locals don't venture outside their own family never mind their town.

A classic!

#153 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Fair enough...........but he doesn't get his man,doesn't make his desired statement of intent,loses credibility and is taken much less seriously by the club of the next player he targets.

He'd lose far more credibility by forking out £250k for a 35 year old who's visibly not the player he was 12 months ago.

If I were Salford I might take Morley off your hands on a free transfer. Maybe.

That's me.  I'm done.

#154 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Fair enough...........but he ....is taken much less seriously by the club of the next player he targets.

If Salford pay £250k for Morley then 6 months later when they need to sign a young prop to cover him they'll suddenly discover that the price for anyone half decent is extremely high.

They are already going to have to pay over the odds because they're now perceived as cashed up and willing to spend. The have no need to make it worse.

That's me.  I'm done.

#155 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I don't remember you classing Huyton as strategically important what with being Liverpool, or Sheffield being strategically important?

If anyone loves their RL round Manchester way it ain't far to Warrington or Wigan.

The population of the Manchester area is more than the population of Sheffield and Merseyside combined.

Manchester has the second largest regional economy after the South East, more than two and a half times that of Merseyside and close to three times that of the whole of South Yorkshire.

It is the de facto second city of the UK, the regional capital of the North of England and a city who's name is known for sport across the World.

It has major headquarters for one of the World's largest, oldest and most respected media organisations.

And the whole thing is slap bang in the middle of the RL "heartland".

The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game, but when you add in the economy, population, the RL culture on their doorstep and the facilities they already have they have the potential to be a powerhouse in the game for decades to come.

Shall we work out what Huyton offered in comparison?

That's me.  I'm done.

#156 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,084 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'd take him on in a player-coach capacity.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#157 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

The population of the Manchester area is more than the population of Sheffield and Merseyside combined.

Manchester has the second largest regional economy after the South East, more than two and a half times that of Merseyside and close to three times that of the whole of South Yorkshire.

It is the de facto second city of the UK, the regional capital of the North of England and a city who's name is known for sport across the World.

It has major headquarters for one of the World's largest, oldest and most respected media organisations.

The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game, but when you add in the economy, population, the RL culture on their doorstep and the facilities they already have they have the potential to be a powerhouse in the game for decades to come.

You're correct in everything you say, and Salford now has an owner who I think will be the most dynamic owner in the game and who will be able to exploit all those factors you refer to.

It's funny to see how Marwan Koukash's bid for Sam Tomkins is being mocked by some people who should know better.

As a comparison, Koukash attended his first race meeting in 2007, and immediately fell in love with that sport. Five years later he has had 300 winners and last year his horse was the favourite to win the Melbourne Cup.

He has now fallen in love with Rugby League, and I don't think we should underestimate him, or believe that he is merely pursuing publicity stunts.

It's early days, but it strikes me that he's the best thing to hit Rugby League for a long time (although, having seen Boots n All last night, think Brian Barwick could run him close, if he means what he says) and I sincerely hope that he attracts other like-minded individuals to other clubs that need them.

#158 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

No we shan't do that Steve, you have me in a headlock with your post and that Martyn Sadler has put the boot in so I'm just about beaten to a pulp.

But you and Mr. Sadler may overegg the pudding when you you say The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game.

As I say it's not that further from the BBC sports office to The JJB than it is to Barton where the biggest club in the game resides, who I am sure will continue to court the Sports hacks who have waxed so lyrical about Wigan over the years.

I think the clubs most important to the game are the ones who can win cups in front of 15,000 fans with quality local players born bred and developed appearing on the field.

You and Mr. Sadler need to qualify why Salford are more important than Wigan, and the closeness to the BBC sport office and the population of Manchester doesn't cut it for a reasoned guy like me :D

#159 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

By heck Martyn, a big slug of optimism there.

It looks like things could get really interesting in the next two years. For all the attention given to the final challenges faced by the sport, there are some club owners in place now, with diverse experiences of business and building successful new businesses, who could really help the development of the professional game. I can't recall such a situation in RL in my lifetime. A bit like the line that millionaires are made in recessions, the foundations for the advancement and financial development of the game can be made during this time great economic difficulties.

We can help by turning up to our clubs' games and to internationals, including the World Cup, rather than finding reasons not to go.

#160 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Why should Morley be released by Wire on a free just so Koukash can have the "local boy comes home" scenario? Leeds paid over the odds for Hanley,if you want your man,you pay? Especially if your a multi millionaire? Koukash would have made a big statemment by signing a player he obviously rates highly. Tony Smith and Warrington obviously still rate him highly too,as Koukash was rebuffed immediatley. Those on here who are saying Morley isn't worth a transfer fee and only worth a free transfer and pay as you play deal are insulting the legend which is Adrian Morley.

It was highly unlikely that Cas would have let Chase go,and Tomkins would never been sold by Wigan in a million years. Wane actually burst out laughing when he heard of the move for Tomkins! Is Koukash developing an 'oh well Salford fans, i'm sorry we didn't get our man but I did try' situation here? Maybe he needs to lower his sights a little and actually make a decent signing or two before he loses credibility and his approaches are deemed no more than PR stunts to get Salford in the news every week? There are some very good ex super league players now playing in the lower leagues who could still do a good job for salford at SL level. Maybe he should get a few of those players on board first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users