TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Salfords New owner making friends

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#161 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

We can help by turning up to our clubs' games and to internationals, including the World Cup, rather than finding reasons not to go.

It would appear that as "Salford (are) the most important club in the game" we should all head to Barton and pack out the matches because the BBC will be the vehicle for a great future for the game as a whole?

Messrs May and Sadler - your thoughts?

#162 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

It would appear that as "Salford (are) the most important club in the game" we should all head to Barton and pack out the matches because the BBC will be the vehicle for a great future for the game as a whole?

Parkers, some of us have been already, and more than once at that. B)

#163 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Parkers, some of us have been already, and more than once at that. B)

I've probably been to Headingley far too much and now they're not that important I ought to get across to Barton. What's the nearest train station to the ground BTW?

#164 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Why should Morley be released by Wire on a free just so Koukash can have the "local boy comes home" scenario? Leeds paid over the odds for Hanley,if you want your man,you pay? Especially if your a multi millionaire? Koukash would have made a big statemment by signing a player he obviously rates highly. Tony Smith and Warrington obviously still rate him highly too,as Koukash was rebuffed immediatley. Those on here who are saying Morley isn't worth a transfer fee and only worth a free transfer and pay as you play deal are insulting the legend which is Adrian Morley.

There are some very good ex super league players now playing in the lower leagues who could still do a good job for salford at SL level. Maybe he should get a few of those players on board first?

Nice patronising posting there.

Why should Salford not chase the players they want, why should we accept ex SL players from the lower leagues?

Morley is by any measure you care to use coming to the end of his career, and even at his prime I would have been shocked anyone paying 250,000 for a fee. RL doesn't do many fees.

Yes the Doctor is aimming high and maybe he should be realistic in his aims, but Salford are in the news and on national radio more this year than they have ever been. He is attempting to create a buzz about the place and watching his joy at the win on Sunday was a pleasure. I expect his team will make some good quality signings in the enxt year or so.

Seems some Wire fans are getting worried, they seem to be only bitter fans.

As for Barton the nearest train stations are either Patricroft or Irlam. Both are a couple of miles away. The club seems to be running shuttle buses to the stadium again for this week and I think one is running from Irlam.

Edited by Red Willow, 28 February 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#165 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

As for Barton the nearest train stations are either Patricroft or Irlam. Both are a couple of miles away. The club seems to be running shuttle buses to the stadium again for this week and I think one is running from Irlam.

Let's hope he chases the lot of 'em and shakes things right up.

Particroft looks good. Does Eccles RL play at the RU ground half way between the station and ground?

Is that where they invite cars to park on match days?

#166 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

No we shan't do that Steve, you have me in a headlock with your post and that Martyn Sadler has put the boot in so I'm just about beaten to a pulp.

But you and Mr. Sadler may overegg the pudding when you you say The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game.

As I say it's not that further from the BBC sports office to The JJB than it is to Barton where the biggest club in the game resides, who I am sure will continue to court the Sports hacks who have waxed so lyrical about Wigan over the years.

I think the clubs most important to the game are the ones who can win cups in front of 15,000 fans with quality local players born bred and developed appearing on the field.

You and Mr. Sadler need to qualify why Salford are more important than Wigan, and the closeness to the BBC sport office and the population of Manchester doesn't cut it for a reasoned guy like me :D

is that the same bbc who can't even be bothered to read out rugby league results on north west news??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#167 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Particroft looks good. Does Eccles RL play at the RU ground half way between the station and ground?

No, they play in different grounds.

Yes, Eccles RL are offering parking. It's a short walk to the stadium.

Alternatively, there's a couple of good quality pubs in Eccles, close to the tram stop. See the Good Beer Guide.

#168 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

You're correct in everything you say, and Salford now has an owner who I think will be the most dynamic owner in the game and who will be able to exploit all those factors you refer to.

It's funny to see how Marwan Koukash's bid for Sam Tomkins is being mocked by some people who should know better.

As a comparison, Koukash attended his first race meeting in 2007, and immediately fell in love with that sport. Five years later he has had 300 winners and last year his horse was the favourite to win the Melbourne Cup.

He has now fallen in love with Rugby League, and I don't think we should underestimate him, or believe that he is merely pursuing publicity stunts.

It's early days, but it strikes me that he's the best thing to hit Rugby League for a long time (although, having seen Boots n All last night, think Brian Barwick could run him close, if he means what he says) and I sincerely hope that he attracts other like-minded individuals to other clubs that need them.

i agree with a lot of what you have posted martyn, koukash like steve o'connor are new to rugby league and steve has been a breath of fresh air at widnes, if thegood doctor does the same at salford it is certainly pointing the game as a whole in the right direction. too long most clubs have been run like an old boys network and the new investment has certainly gone some way to change the flat cap and whippet persona of the game. as regards the mockery of the tomkins bid, the same people did the same when widnes made an attempt to sign darren lockyer, are now mocking salford.. i think that the signing of the likes of kevin brown and gareth hock by widnes has made people sit up and take notice of what steve has acheived at the club, and no doubt when salford sign a couple of big names then people will have to takes them seriously............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#169 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

The presence of the BBC alone makes Salford the most important club in the game.

is that the same bbc who can't even be bothered to read out rugby league results on north west news??

I'm not sure.

Mr. Sadler may be able to advise?

#170 WSCR

WSCR
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Eccles ARLFC have their own ground off the A57 Liverpool Road,come off motorway at Peel Green,take first left and its left after the St Michaels Club down Schofield Road and the left into Hallsworth Road.look for the signs.

#171 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

they never bother to give the results of the games on a sunday and two weeks ago they did an article about the north west super league derby between wigan and warrington and completely ignored the other big north west derby the same weekend between widnes and sthelens......

#172 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

No, they play in different grounds.

Yes, Eccles RL are offering parking. It's a short walk to the stadium.

Alternatively, there's a couple of good quality pubs in Eccles, close to the tram stop. See the Good Beer Guide.

Is the tram one that runs out of Piccadily?

Train to Picadilly, outside the station tram to Eccles.

Once there one is near Eccles RLFC (but don't have a car) so couple of good real ale pubs then a walk to the stadium.

I know I'm being a nuisance but what's the journey time from manchester centre to Eccles on the tram??

#173 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Eccles ARLFC have their own ground off the A57 Liverpool Road,come off motorway at Peel Green,take first left and its left after the St Michaels Club down Schofield Road and the left into Hallsworth Road.look for the signs.

On google map turn left off the M/Way junction to peel green and left up schofield road. Where it bends sharply back on itself there's a clubhouse and two pitches. Google mark it as Eccles Rugby Union - should that be league?

#174 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I don't think Sintelliners are a good case study, it isn't the European hotspot of inbreeding for nothing. Some of the locals don't venture outside their own family never mind their town.

You are not from Wigan are you?

#175 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

This all stemmed from your assertion that Bradford were more strategically important to the game than Salford. I think you should withdraw gracefully.

#176 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

But that's the point. Instead of the BBC sports being in London and treating the game with indifference, Salford are within a stones throw. They can hob nob with the BBC sports people, give them free tickets to the ground, peak their interest every time they go across Barton Bridge and see the stadium and link it with Dr Koukash's latest publicity initiative re Salford and by default, Rugby league. Further on there is a WC game at Salford this autumn and others in nearby Lancashire towns. There is only the semi final in London. The proximity to the BBC at Salford shopuld be an advantage the game and Salford need to exploit..

#177 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

RFL news story today

Salford’s millionaire owner Marwan Koukash insists his move for Sam Tomkins was no publicity stunt as he turned his attention to luring the club’s former stars back to the City Reds.

Australian duo Vic Mauro and Liam Foran trained with the club for the first time this morning, ready to make their debuts in tomorrow’s Super League clash with London Broncos, and they will be only the first of a host of new arrivals at the Salford City Stadium over the next 18 months.

Koukash, a wealthy racehorse owner, intends to spend his way to bringing success and wants to make a start by bringing back the big names the club lost in the wake of their financial crisis.

Joel Moon (Leeds Rhinos), Daniel Holdsworth (Hull FC) and Matty Smith (Wigan Warriors) were all prised away at the height of the club’s strife last year while Stefan Ratchford and Richie Myler were previous high-profile buys by Warrington Wolves.

“I want our boys back,” Koukash said. “I’m not going to mention names but last year the so-called big clubs used our financial difficulties to entice our players away.

“Now, if it means me using our financial strength to entice them back, I will.”

Koukash made the headlines earlier this week with his audacious move for Tomkins, which followed previous attempts to sign Warrington’s Salford-born captain Adrian Morley and Castleford Tigers’ 2011 Man of Steel Rangi Chase.

Today Koukash insisted the bid for Tomkins was genuine and that he is serious about transforming the fortunes of Salford.

“I expected those headlines because he is the best player,” he said. “And it was a big cash offer.

“I don’t know why people call it a publicity stunt. We don’t lack ambition, we don’t lack the finances, we don’t lack anything. We have everything to make us a top side.”

Koukash, who had never been to a rugby league match before last year, says his enthusiasm for the game went up another level after watching the City Reds come from 34-14 down to beat Hull KR last Sunday and claim their first points of the season.

“It was better than winning any horse race,” he said. “And I’ve won quite a lot of races. I ended up standing on the touchline for the last six minutes and it was an absolutely amazing feeling.

“I got a bit emotional actually and I did things I maybe shouldn’t have done as a chairman.”

After putting Mauro and Foran, freshly arrived from Manly Sea Eagles, through their paces today, coach Phil Veivers says he hopes to make two more additions to his squad for this season.

One of the targets is Gold Coast Titans centre or second rower Luke O’Dwyer, 30, who is considering the offer of a three-year contract.

“We’ve been talking to Luke for the last week and hopefully we’re in the final stages of negotiations,” said Salford’s new chief executive Ed Farish.

Edited by flyingking, 28 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#178 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

But that's the point. Instead of the BBC sports being in London and treating the game with indifference, Salford are within a stones throw. They can hob nob with the BBC sports people, give them free tickets to the ground, peak their interest every time they go across Barton Bridge and see the stadium and link it with Dr Koukash's latest publicity initiative re Salford and by default, Rugby league. Further on there is a WC game at Salford this autumn and others in nearby Lancashire towns. There is only the semi final in London. The proximity to the BBC at Salford shopuld be an advantage the game and Salford need to exploit..

i am talking about bbc news north west now, not before the move to media city.

#179 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

More media coverage - http://www.itv.com/n...other_multiline

#180 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

superleague.co.uk says he's after those that got away; Moon, Holdsworth, Smith, Ratchford and Myler. He says where in the past the big clubs had clout to sign these players, they also now have clout and want them back.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users