Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Helpdesk - Camera bags

TRL Helpdesk Photography

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

One for the many photo buffs on here.

I recently got myself a decent DSLR, but need something to carry it, and when I acquire them, accessories in. So can anyone point me in the direction of a decent camera bag, preferably a back-pack type (I think).

I have been looking on t'interweb and there seems plenty to chose from.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#2 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I've a few;

- This is a decent sized rucksack, depends how much gear you have as to weather its worth going for one this size, but its well padded, comfy and the laptop slot is ideal.
- I like this one, but don't use it half as often as I should, not everyone's cup of tea, but so long as your not carrying to much heavy kit its convienient and good quality.
- Got given this a few weeks ago and its a current favourite, easily fits in two DSLR bodies and 2/3 lenses and other bits and bats.

I also splashed out on a 20 quid fishing box the other week, put 30 quids worth of padding in it and have the comfyiest pitch side camera case in the borough! The alternative for a less comfortable solution was 300 quid from Calumet, but at least I wouldn't get quite so many wise cracks with that one!

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I currently have two. I say currently, as despite only having an DSLR since December, I'm already realising that you can end up with an awful lot of stuff to go with it.

http://www.manfrotto...olster-bag-cord This one can fit my camera with 70-300 lens, a couple of filters, memory card, battery etc, or you can fit the camera and an additional lens, as long as neither of them are two big. This is what I got for day to day use on holidays, etc where I won't want to cart all my kit about.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B000KVPCBG I also have one of these, which I picked up from ebay for about £70 less than the newest equivalent. God knows how they think you can get 2 bodies & lenses in though. It fits my body with the 18-55 lens on, my prime 35mm, and my 70-300 in, along with battery charger, filters, HDMI cable and I might be able to squeeze another small lens in at a push (I'm eyeing up a wide angle, but try to be restrained until I'm better at using what I've already got!). With hindsight, I'd have looked for a slightly bigger bag for all my kit to live in, but I do like the design, quality and lack of "camera bag with expensive kit in" that it has.

There are often quite a few Crumpler bags on ebay if you're not fussy about brand new and want to save a good few quid.

I don't have a backpack one, because as a regular walker, I already have a number of rucksacks, which if I'm taking the camera, I can fit the smaller bag in if necessary, or I just carry the camera around my neck with the pack on.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,041 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

One for the many photo buffs on here.

I recently got myself a decent DSLR, but need something to carry it, and when I acquire them, accessories in. So can anyone point me in the direction of a decent camera bag, preferably a back-pack type (I think).

I have been looking on t'interweb and there seems plenty to chose from.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

here we have a classic example of why camera shops and the lack of them is an issue. When every decent size town had a jessops or watever you could take your gear and see what suited it within your price range.

I'd guess that there aren't any lousy camera bags out there. Some are just better and more expensiv than others.
When you look on the web have a budget in mind-the best you can afford, and see what fit your gear and abit more besides-believe me you will add to your gear, and it's alwayshand to be able to stash other stuff in it as well when you are out and about. Adjustable internal compartments are vewry important.

My bag is a Jessops own make. It's a ruck sack style and has room for aNikon D90 DSLR with superzoom, another lens, a lumix GX1 and a small nikon flashgun. It has a spare space, and an additional pocket and whilst not being the most expensive it has served me well.

HTH
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I just use an old ruck sack, or if traveling light just put my camera around my neck anda spare lense in my coat pocket.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the responses, I will take a look at those suggestions offered over the weekend.

L'am, you do have a point; I was Goggling some bags yesterday using Google shop. When I clicked on the link to show me suppliers close to where I live 3/4 of them were Jessops. :(
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the responses, I will take a look at those suggestions offered over the weekend.

L'am, you do have a point; I was Goggling some bags yesterday using Google shop. When I clicked on the link to show me suppliers close to where I live 3/4 of them were Jessops. :(

My smaller one came from Currys. The branch in Halifax had a far wider range of photographic equipment, including bags, than I would have expected, far more so than Jessops in Halifax had.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Whilst not slap bang on your doorstep these guys are not a million miles away from you and I'd highly, highly recommend a visit if you want to get hands on with some gear.

The Manchester branch is just off the expressway and has free customer parking, so its not nearly as bad as having to go and park up in the City centre.

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,918 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I use a Tamrac Expedition 5 as my usual bag, you can squeeze quite a bit of kit in it when needed and it meets handbaggage requirements when flying (something worth bearing in mind if you like to travel).

Tamrac do a large selection and can be a bit pricey, but the quality and versatility is excellant.

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

I would seriously recommend that you get your hands on the bag you are thinking of buying first, it isn't something I would buy without checking it out in person.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

http://Lowepro Versa...Backpack - Grey As well as the fast pack I have one of these, light can hold 3 lens and a body plus other bits in the bottom. Room in the top for day stuff. I find the fastpack too heavy and big

#11 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Feature in this week's amateur photographer on bags

#12 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks again for all the input.

I finally decided on this suggested by red Willow: LowPro Versapack 200

Posted Image

Main reasons for choosing this was the side access - from either side, I am left handed, and it was big enough, but not too big.

Edited by Griff9of13, 05 March 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#13 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hope you like it, the easy access is great and most these packs have them.

It looks a bit different to mine, but difficult to tell, I find it perfect for a day out.

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

now lets see some pics :D
Keeping it local

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

now lets see some pics :D

Good point. Seem to be chained to my desk ATM.

We went to the Lakes a couple of weeks back and was looking forward to getting out and snapping. We were on the shore of Ullswater on a fine still day, perfect for photography. So I grabbed the camera and began clicking away. Nothing. So I tried again. Again nothing. Started to worry that it was broken when I then realised that, having followed the manufacturers instructions, I had removed the battery. Problem was the battery was still sitting in my desk drawer 80 miles away. :blink:

(possibly one for the Signs you are getting old thread) :(

Edited by Griff9of13, 05 March 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#16 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

We went to the Lakes a couple of weeks back and was looking forward to getting out and snapping. We were on the shore of Ullswater on a fine still day, perfect for photography. So I grabbed the camera and began clicking away. Nothing. So I tried again. Again nothing. Started to worry that it was broken when I then realised that, having followed the manufacturers instructions, I had removed the battery. Problem was the battery was still sitting in my desk drawer 80 miles away. :blink:

:lol: I've done the same but no memory card. Fortunately it was only a 15 min round trip walk back home to get one.

What camera did you get?

Please view my photos.

#17 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

A Canon EOS650D as a combined 50th birthday and Christmas present. And very nice it is too.

#18 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

A Canon EOS650D as a combined 50th birthday and Christmas present. And very nice it is too.

Very nice. Enjoy it. :)

Please view my photos.

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

my party piece is forgetting to put in a memory card.

I went out for a meal in Leeds last night and took my camera with me for some night shots whilst out and about. No memory card.
Keeping it local

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

get in there
Keeping it local

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TRL Helpdesk, Photography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users