Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match Report: Barrow Raiders 10-20 Batley Bulldogs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

http://www.batleybul...t-out-in-barrow

#2 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 809 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Johnny campbell mom? I thought davies or mennell he was nowhere to be seen for that first try

#3 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Davies had a great 80 mins.Non stop graft.

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

Toss up between Davis and johnson for me.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

That Davis was head and shoulders above anyone else, JC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

TBF, Davies has been outstanding most weeks and yep, he would also have been very deserving of MOM (as he was on TV), but I thought JC had a real impact at key times last night with his go-forward. However, judging by the comments on here and from some of my mates, I clearly saw something that a lot of others didn't!

It's all about opinions, I guess, and so it should be! I can't get it right all the time!!

Edited by Chairman LMAO, 22 February 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#7 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

TBF, Davies has been outstanding most weeks and yep, he would also have been very deserving of MOM (as he was on TV), but I thought JC had a real impact at key times last night with his go-forward. However, judging by the comments on here and from some of my mates, I clearly saw something that a lot of others didn't!

It's all about opinions, I guess, and so it should be! I can't get it right all the time!!

Quite right, it's your opinion and Campbell did have a good game. Our back three look outstanding, even without Greenwood. I do think Potts is better on the wing though as he is great defensively but less of an attacking threat as JC and MG. I was also worried that our pack lacked a bit of size but they certainly make up for it with their workrate. Applegarth and Davies never stop working and with Rowe back we will be a decent threat next week. By the way, I thought Davies was MOM yesterday too but hey hoo!

#8 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

At the rate Davies is performing he'll be getting it every match at this rate! :-)

#9 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thought we didn't really get going in attack last night. We need better support on the breaks we make, for example wen Flanagan and Campbell broke last night, but Barrows scramble defence was pretty good.

Still not sure about Hemmingway, a lot of people say he's "doing a job" but for us to kick on he has to offer more than that.

Overall a good win on a bitterly cold night but improvements still needed. MOM for me was Johnson, he looks class, Davies, Campbell and Fleming also went well.

#10 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Any win in Cumbria is welcome especially a midweek fixture, well done Bulldogs.

#11 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

We werent at our best by any means, but toughed it out and 3 points is 3 points at the end of the day.

I thought Liam Walmsley looked good, and Davies just gets more and more impressive as the weeks go on.

Have to agree with previous comment about Hemingway, he just doesnt take the line on and seems more content to pass the ball along the line like its a hot potato. I think he could be far more effective if he took the ball to the line and then tried to ccreate things, as the ability is certainly there.

I understand Greenwood wasnt risked due to a hamstring problem, and we slightly missed him in terms of the extra dimension he seems to bring to our attacking play.

One other plus point was it was the first game i can recollect for a long time where we didnt make a hash of an oppostion kick off at any stage in the game.

All in all a job done in difficult conditions and circumstances, and plenty for the coach to work on.

Edited by buford t justice, 22 February 2013 - 01:49 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#12 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Toss up for me too between Davies and Walton

#13 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

for me it was Campbell / Davies.

I know he got a try but I'm just not sure about Fleming? Keegan on the other hand is doing great.

#14 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Think Fleming is a real talent, just a bit raw and naive at times. He's only played 2 games at this level so as the season progresses I think he could be another Beast!

#15 yearofthedog

yearofthedog
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Definately Davies for mom, Fleming has the making, he just needs to stop making errors, once he stops them he will a option when Alex doesn't play. Be interesting to see who misses out against fax as miles will be back. Think potts was the least effective of the back 3.

#16 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Fleming doesn't work as hard as Alex IMO. He is a big strong lad and could do more.

#17 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Davies for me....non stop and looked dangerous ball in hand. And that's before we talk about his defence.

Beside a couple of handling errors I though Keegan and Fleming made decent yards too, ably supported by Byron Smith.

In the backs, Johnson looks a class act and in many ways we are spoilt for choice when Greenwood comes back. Hard to pick 3 from 4 really. Also nice to see Danny M back with a good solid game and well taken try.

Creditable mention too to the hookers, especially Mennell who ensured we a pretty quick play the ball most of the time, something which was crucial in the end.

Not a champagne performance, and too many silly errors, especially in our own half, but we got the job done in difficult conditions, so well done the lads. Nice to win when not playing our best too, which is hopefully a very positive sign.

As JK said plenty to work on and improve upon ahead of the Fax game, but 10 points from 4 games, so so far so good. A win against Fax will only help boost the players confidence in terms of believing they are a genuine top 3 side rather than a top 5/6 one. And the supporters.

Roll on Thursday.

#18 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the report Mark.I had just tuned in on my computer ( Sat morning) to watch the game, when they had a network outage and that was it until today.What brasses me off is, there are only two or three games a season were you can watch th Dogs on line and then that happens.
After breaking work and then traveling to Barrow, to come away with the points is not easy, as the score suggests.

Edited by frank, 25 February 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#19 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the report Mark.I had just tuned in on my computer ( Sat morning) to watch the game, when they had a network outage and that was it until today.What brasses me off is, there are only two or three games a season were you can watch th Dogs on line and then that happens.
After breaking work and then traveling to Barrow, to come away with the points is not easy, as the score suggests.

It was a tough old game! Not gonna be any easier on Thursday either!

#20 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Thursday will give us a clue to how are season will go.
We have the ability to beat anyone at home and feel quite confident
about the Halifax match!!