Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Martin Offiah named as Rugby League World Cup 2013 ambassador

RLWC2013 media release

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Twitter: #rlwc2013 @rlwc2013 Facebook: /rugbyleagueworldcup

Rugby League World Cup 2013 has announced that Martin Offiah MBE will be an official ambassador for the tournament which kicks off on October 26 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Offiah, known to many as ‘Chariots’, will play a key role in promoting the game, especially in London ahead of the RLWC2013 semi-final double-header at Wembley Stadium.

Martin Offiah said: “I’m really excited to be on board with RLWC2013 and eager to do what I can to ensure the British public know this is the next major international sporting competition in this country after London 2012 and an event not to be missed.

“There will be some really exciting matches at RLWC2013 including a double-header featuring England v Australia and Wales v Italy with the opening ceremony at the Millennium Stadium; a semi-final double-header at Wembley and the showpiece event, the Rugby League World Cup final, taking place at Old Trafford.

“Tickets to the tournament are extremely well priced with 55% £20 or less, so it really is a great opportunity to see some extraordinary athletes going head to head in their pursuit for glory."

The Wigan, Widnes, London Broncos, Great Britain and England legend will forever be synonymous with Wembley following his full length dash at the 1994 Challenge Cup Final.

He said: “I can’t wait for RLWC2013 to start and I genuinely believe England have a realistic chance of winning.”

Offiah’s exploits at Wembley and part in Rugby League history have now been officially recognised and he will be represented alongside four other heroes of the game as part of a statue commissioned for Wembley Stadium by the RFL.

RLWC2013 General Manager, Sally Bolton, said: “Martin is one of the game’s great players and to have him supporting RLWC2013 is fantastic news for us.

“As a recognisable figure even outside Rugby League, he can help take the sport to a new audience. Our aim is to put on the biggest and best Rugby League World Cup ever and we are confident we can do that.”

Martin Offiah joins Gareth Thomas as an official ambassador for RLWC2013 which kicks off on October 26.
For more information and to purchase tickets visit rlwc2013.com

#bethere

RLWC2013 contacts:
Martin Johnston
RLWC2013 Communications Manager
Tel: + 44 (0)7748 46966 / 0844 887 1730
Email: martin.johnston@rlwc2013.com
Twitter:@rlwc2103press

Edited by Honor James, 22 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Offiah is still one of the only Rugby League "personalities" that people in the UK at large has heard of, so this is probably a good move. I see from Tom Coates' posts on Facebook that he was doing the rounds of the BBC this morning, appearing on 5 Live, BBC Sport's slot on BBC News 24 etc.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

A good move IMO.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Rugby League does need a face all the time, and Martin can fill that roll without any problems. He's intelligent well educated and well spoken and of course has played the game at the highest level.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,811 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Yep - I don't always think he is the most interesting person in front of the camera - but he is well known and is always positive about the game.

Would like to see a bit more from Gareth Thomas if he is also an ambassador, but maybe he is doing plenty locally.

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Good stuff - who else could we get?

Paul Sculthorpe?
Ellery Hanley?
Jonathan Davies?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Saw him on bbc breakfast this morning, seemed pretty good and had a snazzy rlwc badge on
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#8 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Good stuff - who else could we get?

Paul Sculthorpe?
Ellery Hanley?
Jonathan Davies?

Bobby Goulding?
Alec Murphy?
Peter Fox?
Garry Schofield?

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Bobby Goulding?
Alec Murphy?
Peter Fox?
Garry Schofield?

Schofield? What would he do or say to attract anyone not born & bred into the game?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users