Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SKY LIVE COVERAGE

Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have been a Bulls supporter all my life, and due to living in S Wales I have usually travelled to selected matches and then watch Bulls matches via Sky.
This year because of work commitments I will have great difficulty travelling north to matches, so I am having to rely on Sky coverage very much. I notice inthe next three months onlt two matches are listed, both against Leeds. Not much for my Sky payment. It would appear that besides The Bulls having payment reduced, we supporters who rely on television coverage being reduces.
Has a final rider why is the Independant giving no coverage to the Bulls? I know their main rugby reporter prophesied they would finish up next to bottom, but surely they are not that bad to recieve no coverage. My finances would improve without Sky and Independent outlays.

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have been a Bulls supporter all my life, and due to living in S Wales I have usually travelled to selected matches and then watch Bulls matches via Sky.
This year because of work commitments I will have great difficulty travelling north to matches, so I am having to rely on Sky coverage very much. I notice inthe next three months onlt two matches are listed, both against Leeds. Not much for my Sky payment. It would appear that besides The Bulls having payment reduced, we supporters who rely on television coverage being reduces.
Has a final rider why is the Independant giving no coverage to the Bulls? I know their main rugby reporter prophesied they would finish up next to bottom, but surely they are not that bad to recieve no coverage. My finances would improve without Sky and Independent outlays.

Get Premier Sports and take up watching South Wales Scorpions as a surrogate for the Bulls.

#3 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

There are 22 games in the period before the Magic Weekend, meaning 44 sides will be shown in Super League. As one game is to TBC, this actually means 42 sides will be definitely shown.

So to put it at its most simplest 42/14 means each side would be shown 3 times in a perfect world. Bradford will be shown twice and seeing as though you were involved in the last game shown and will be shown at the Magic Weekend, it seems a bit disingenous to pick this specific time period to prove your point.

Sky is most definitely worth it, maybe not if you are a Bulls fan only but then what chance do you have? I lived in Ireland for a year and believe me, it was more than value for money when you have little or no other access to RL.

#4 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Trust someone fromKeighly to weigh in, I do like my league, and I have watched all the various S Wales teams over the years with all the disappointments that has brought, in my opinion nothing can replace the Bulls. I recall saying this in in the early seventies and were Northern. A few hundred of us freezing on the empty terracing.

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

No, it's not worth it just for the Bulls. We may be on more later in the season, depending on how the early season goes but it's probably not worth the gamble.

How good is your internet? Good enough for streaming? In the next month or two Sky are allowing non-Sky customers to buy a "day pass" to their Sky Sports channels online. £10 per day, not cheap but if you want it for Bulls only, it's probably worth getting for those couple of specific days
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Even as a Bulls fan I think coverage is more than worth it as I watch and record each sky game religiously. But I do take your point, this season has seen a dramatic decrease in Bradford's share of airtime, it must coincide with the drop in funds. However, we were shown 4 Saturday's in a row from rounds 4-7 in 2012, and then 4 times after the Magic weekend. With 9 showings this put us equal 5th place with Hull FC.

(Since 2008 I've kept a spreadsheet tallying the Super League sky games, which I then post on here after round 27.)

It's interesting to me to see how often each team is on sky, if only to have some form of evidence on at least one aspect of RL!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Do sky not show the same amount of games for each club? Is the much difference between the most viewed n the least? Have u any figures im interested now
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Do sky not show the same amount of games for each club? Is the much difference between the most viewed n the least? Have u any figures im interested now

No they don't,I'm sure I saw a chart last season of how many times each club featured.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'll try dig out the last thread rather than re-type. But in 2012 the spread was from Warrington with 13 to London with 4.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

sky matches 2012

(Great guess too, first guess was page 25 of this board and it was!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Surely you pay for RL coverage and not BB coverage. Apologies, what I meant was Sky charge fr RL coverage, not BB coverage.

Edited by distantdog, 22 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sky matches 2011

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

When the Bulls were a top side, they were on Sky loads. Like it or not, Sky show the top sides the most. In a way, they're in a tough position when it comes to bottom sides: if they show a competitive game like Salford v London, people won't watch because neither of those sides are likely to trouble the play-offs. On the other hand, if they showed Salford v Wigan, people wouldn't be interested because of the RL fear of 'blow out scores'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

When the Bulls were a top side, they were on Sky loads. Like it or not, Sky show the top sides the most. In a way, they're in a tough position when it comes to bottom sides: if they show a competitive game like Salford v London, people won't watch because neither of those sides are likely to trouble the play-offs. On the other hand, if they showed Salford v Wigan, people wouldn't be interested because of the RL fear of 'blow out scores'.

And therein lies another problem with the lack of competition throughout the whole of SL.

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Streaming could be the answer due to the fact that owing to work commitments my viewing shortly is going to be very limited, and even now Friday nights are somewhat limited due to when I return home. Sadly the two universities where I work are union based. I have noticed that the medical departments are usually the base of the rugby union side, sadly I have never been able to convert them to league.

#16 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Cheers for that hindle
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Cheers for that hindle

S'orrite, like I say, I've done it since 2008 but I can't be arsed to dig up the other threads nor type out the full results, a quick glance suggests it's a little more spread out as it progresses through those 5 seasons.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

glad to see that sky have the name of the champ sponsors correct! is it kingston? or kingstone press championship? http://live.skysport...entre/live.html click on rugby league then champ.

Edited by shun, 24 February 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Its only the Championship. Everyone knows that it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

#20 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Its only the Championship. Everyone knows that it doesn't matter. :rolleyes: