STOP CALLING US 'LEAGUE'!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

We are a Rugby Football code with our origins in Rugby Football. The Aussies really p' me off by calling us "League" and Rugby Union 'Rugby' as Rugby Union fans and 'Journos' do.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

We are a Rugby Football code with our origins in Rugby Football. The Aussies really p' me off by calling us "League" and Rugby Union 'Rugby' as Rugby Union fans and 'Journos' do.

You don't sound to Happy Dave.

:D

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Not only the Aussies that call it league.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Agreed. What strikes me as odd is that RL has been a much bigger code in Australia than union so I dont get why they didnt grab the use of "rugby" as we do in northern England

#5 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Not only the Aussies that call it league.

The Aussie called it "footy" as far as I know. Only NZers call it league (a term which I find derogatory).

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

League Rules Football is what we should have gone with many moons ago.

Cummins Out.

#7 Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Seriously HappyDave the sport has so many problems what the Aussies call it should be the lowest of our priorities. You do inadvertently however raise a good point and that is the identification of our game. Personally I think using the term 'League' is the best way forward. Rugby Union has stolen the moniker 'Rugby' and there is nothing we can do about that after over a century of use. In any case after watching tonight's excellent sporting contest between two top teams we should do our best to dissassociate ourselves in the mind of the sporting public with the borefest that is Union as many associate 'Rugby' with this game. I agree with Matt J, we should have had the foresight many moons ago to change the name of the sport to give it its own identity. We can't have 'footy' in this country because of the association with football. I've always thought 'League' or 'League 13' was the best way forward. Any thoughts?
Deus vult.

#8 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Agreed. What strikes me as odd is that RL has been a much bigger code in Australia than union so I dont get why they didnt grab the use of "rugby" as we do in northern England

As with everywhere the most popular code was simply called football. You would've heard Cooper Cronk referring to it as such in the post-game interview.

Now we have Aussie Rules marketing themselves aggressively as 'Australian' football and a few years ago Frank Lowy paid our two major news networks a shedload to call soccer 'football' in their reports, newspapers, etc.

'League' is a horrible term IMO. Would love to see the ARL take back ownership of the word rugby in Australia now there's a bit of coin in the game and they can afford a Lowy-like rebrand

Edited by kioli, 23 February 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#9 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

I don't really think it matters to be honest, I just call it Football.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#10 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Rugby League is played by 13----- Rugby Union by 15 ----------and footie is played by 11 simple!

#11 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Rugby all the way. adopting the term 'league' would just lower our visibility and awareness even more.

the reasons for adopting an alternative name would purely be for defeatest reasons.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

"Proper rugby" is my term. The full name is "proper rugby, none of that union ####".

(apologies to the nice union peeps on TRL, but they probably won't read this anyway!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I agree with SG. The term rugby (despite both games having the same roots) is, whether we like it or not, inextricably linked with the union code in the minds of the general British public and elsewhere. How about calling it Super league?

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I agree with SG. The term rugby (despite both games having the same roots) is, whether we like it or not, inextricably linked with the union code in the minds of the general British public and elsewhere. How about calling it Super league?

You work on soccer am and I claim my £5. My only issue with the phrase "Super League" now is there are more and more competitions popping up with that name, women's football in UK, some Greek racing, Pakistan cricket, women's netball.

Even "Super League" is being ripped from us now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I just call it Rugby League or Footy, my Mates know what I am talking about, In Oz "Rugby" is owned by the other code and that is not going to change anytime soon.

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

In the dreams of the unionites that may be the case but, in my experience, the vast majority of the (largely uncaring) public are very unsure about the differences between the codes anyway, so don't differentiate at all.

We all (soccer, union league and American football) share the same roots (the name 'football') anyway, and league sprang from union and shares the term rugby. If asked, I tell people I watch 'rugby', if pressed by someone a tad more knowledgable than average, I tell them I watch 'rugby league', just as I'm certain a union fan would have to say he watched 'rugby union'.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,978 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Rugby League is played by 13----- Rugby Union by 15 ----------and footie is played by 11 simple!

Couldn't agree more owd cocker!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

they are all forms of football, it's quite legitimate to call any of trhem 'footie'

association football is called soccer by many people-it was even more prevalent in the past-'soccer' an nabbreviation of association.

the contentious point is the use of the term 'rugby. Rugby League is by far the most powerful form of rugb y in Australia, but was only established in the first decade of the 20th century. So rugbyunion was established first in Australia, and RugbyLeague's dominance means that the don't giv a ####, ad that people know what everyone means nobody gives a ####

in the uk it's err different

get ready frr it.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I know a lot of football fans (soccer) and something that strikes me is the lack of knowledge of sports history. 9 out of 10 just believe that it appeared one day from nowhere. They just don't either know or care about the history of their game. Most still tend to think soccer is an American term and baulk at its use. If you try and explain why Aussies sometimes call RL footy, they just can't comprehend it...its like you are telling David Ike there is no conspiracy of lizard people.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

we are a football code
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users