• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

we are a football code

I know that, it just irks me that Journos over here and Aussies including RL players and coaches quite often refer to us as 'League', which to me seems to belittles our sport. Sometimes they may say 'footy' but more often than not RL gets called 'League'.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#22 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

League is bad and Super League is even worse.
The title has to have rugby in it somewhere.
Where being official is necessary - the Rugby Football League is great and says it all, but we need a shorter, better title

#23 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

League is bad and Super League is even worse.
The title has to have rugby in it somewhere.
Where being official is necessary - the Rugby Football League is great and says it all, but we need a shorter, better title

I may be mistaken but the logo says Rugby Super League does it not?

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

it was even more prevalent in the past-'soccer' an nabbreviation of association.

Y'learn something new every day.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

In the dreams of the unionites that may be the case but, in my experience, the vast majority of the (largely uncaring) public are very unsure about the differences between the codes anyway, so don't differentiate at all.

We all (soccer, union league and American football) share the same roots (the name 'football') anyway, and league sprang from union and shares the term rugby. If asked, I tell people I watch 'rugby', if pressed by someone a tad more knowledgable than average, I tell them I watch 'rugby league', just as I'm certain a union fan would have to say he watched 'rugby union'.

The fact that, as you say, the vast (or at least a sizeable) majority of the public in this country don't even know the difference between the two codes of Rugby suggests that it might have been a good idea for RL to have adopted a different name to give itself a clear identity. The moment for this to have occured has long past, but half of RL's problems in expanding the game has been around our use of the word Rugby. And I don't like the idea of anyone mistakenly thinking that I support the game with its HQ at Twickenham.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

If the game is changed to Leeds or Wigan then I'm off!

What do people say to describe when they go and watch their team? For me it's "I'm off to't Bulls"!

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

The fact that, as you say, the vast (or at least a sizeable) majority of the public in this country don't even know the difference between the two codes of Rugby suggests that it might have been a good idea for RL to have adopted a different name to give itself a clear identity. The moment for this to have occured has long past, but half of RL's problems in expanding the game has been around our use of the word Rugby. And I don't like the idea of anyone mistakenly thinking that I support the game with its HQ at Twickenham.

But we are Rugby - just that we have slightly different rules to union! Like it or not, our game has benefitted historically from being a form of rugby. There is no way NZ, Australia and France would be playing RL because there is no way RL could have spread abroad (due to hardly any working class people ending up in high positions in the Empire. We have fed off RUs spread due to its larger financial clout, using schisms in their game in the same way we diverged

#28 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

What difference does it make??? Really
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#29 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

It's quite important for newcomers to the sport or people who have no knowledge of our existence (obviously more so in the UK than Aus).

Of course by far the most annoying name to call our sport: "football". It's so ridiculous when fans on here refer to Rugby League as "football" and then call real football "soccer". It's just stupid and say it outside Rugby League heartlands and people would just laugh at you or think you're talking about the The Beautiful Game. I know it's part of our history but drop the whole "football" thing it makes you sound flipping American.

I don't think League is actually a bad name. I think seperating ourselves from football and rugby union are the best things the sport can do in the future! We are a completely seperate (and better) sport that is more entertaining than the other two and all 70 million people in the UK should at least watch one "League" match before they die!!!!

But I guess it is a shame the sport was founded in "Huddersfield" and not a place with a shorter, snappier name instead!

#30 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Of course by far the most annoying name to call our sport: "football". It's so ridiculous when fans on here refer to Rugby League as "football" and then call real football "soccer". It's just stupid and say it outside Rugby League heartlands and people would just laugh at you or think you're talking about the The Beautiful Game. I know it's part of our history but drop the whole "football" thing it makes you sound flipping American.

Just to be clear, Hull Football Club.

The Rugby Football League is as much about real "football" as it is real "rugby" and real "league".

#31 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

It's quite important for newcomers to the sport or people who have no knowledge of our existence (obviously more so in the UK than Aus).

I don't think League is actually a bad name. I think seperating ourselves from football and rugby union are the best things the sport can do in the future! We are a completely seperate (and better) sport that is more entertaining than the other two and all 70 million people in the UK should at least watch one "League" match before they die!!!!

But I guess it is a shame the sport was founded in "Huddersfield" and not a place with a shorter, snappier name instead!

Like Rugby, where RL was founded? 1895 is merely when it separated from union ( despite being the same sport for a while)

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I don't call RL football because that's not how I grew up. But it is not ridiculous at all. What *is* ridiculous though is people getting upset at calling Association Football 'soccer'. Its quite a modern thing to pretend it was never called soccer. Usually by johnny come lately fans.

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,694 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

well the clubs are rugbyleague football clubs
thegoverning body is the rugby football league
the game is rugby league football

then there is rugby union football

association football

gaelic football

australian rules football

american football

canadian football

then there are the shrove tuesday football games in villages around the country: the genesis of the forms of football we know today after the public schools of england took them up and started to make rules, laws and structures for them.

I hope this helps.

anyway you can't make people call something something. They will call it what tey like.
for instance people call vaccuum cleaners 'hoovers' to te annoyance no doubt of the other manufaturers. Still on the subject of vaccuums, people tend to refer to vaccuum flask as thermo flasks. The London underground is called the tube, when in fact only a small section of it was actually officially called thast, because of the nature of its construction.
when I was nine I was a given a soccer ball for christmas, when I was ten I was given a pair of stanley mathews continental soccer boots like most of the kids in my town. Soccer was the colloquial name for association football then.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

This reminds me of ignorant music fans who don't understand the term 'rock n roll'. A real music fan understands what it means, ignorant jokers think it means Teddy boys etc.

#35 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Before 1895 presumably it was Rugby - not Rugby Union - they applied that term to their game in order to distance themselves from NU & later RL. Certainly Heath Rugby Union Football Club near Elland define themselves as such. To me we've just as much right to call ourselves Rugby as the Union lot. Whether it is good for the game that we should is another argument altogether. I'm off to the the Rugby at Fev now.

Edited by Trojan, 24 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#36 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

well the clubs are rugbyleague football clubs
thegoverning body is the rugby football league
the game is rugby league football

then there is rugby union football

association football

gaelic football

australian rules football

american football

canadian football

then there are the shrove tuesday football games in villages around the country: the genesis of the forms of football we know today after the public schools of england took them up and started to make rules, laws and structures for them.

I hope this helps.

anyway you can't make people call something something. They will call it what tey like.
for instance people call vaccuum cleaners 'hoovers' to te annoyance no doubt of the other manufaturers. Still on the subject of vaccuums, people tend to refer to vaccuum flask as thermo flasks. The London underground is called the tube, when in fact only a small section of it was actually officially called thast, because of the nature of its construction.
when I was nine I was a given a soccer ball for christmas, when I was ten I was given a pair of stanley mathews continental soccer boots like most of the kids in my town. Soccer was the colloquial name for association football then.

Ive tried and tried to explain all that to Americans over here.They actually think they created football plus the name "FOOTBALL"means your talking about their game.I have noticed Australians seem to prounce RUGBYLEAGUE as if its all one word
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,694 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Before 1895 presumably it was Rugby - not Rugby Union - they applied that term to their game in order to distance themselves from NU & later RL. Certainly Heath Rugby Union Football Club near Elland define themselves as such. To me we've just as much right to call ourselves Rugby as the Union lot. Whether it is good for the game that we should is another argument altogether. I'm off to the the Rugby at Fev now.

it was rugby football, or football. The Yorkshire post would publish an annual 'football number' at the end of every season in the 19th century.
the union was the governing body, s was the northern union and therugby football league- league is synonymous with union-a group of people with shared aims.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#38 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

ive always called rugby league, 'league', and rugby union, 'union'.

probably because both clubs are popular drinking holes, and when people ring for a taxi, its just to either the league or to the union, the word rugby barely gets mentioned. :D

#39 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

You should hear the confusion in my office when I tell my colleagues I'm going to watch the rugby.They have no idea about the different codes (apart from soccer).

( I work in London and follow Sale and Salford!)

#40 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Absolutely none but it does seem to wind some people up - even if some of the same people concede rugby league should differientate itself from rugby union. Some of that same sub set of semantic junkies (often referred to as pub bores) then go on to insist on referring to rugby league as rugby - whilst simultaneously denying rugby union afficionados that same privilege. Perhaps Eric Blair got the idea for "doublethink" when researching The Road to Wigan Pier?
By accident rugby league has ended up being referred to as "league", which at least has the benefit of differentiating itself from rugby union. The real reason many people hate the term is of course that it was "invented" in Australia. I don't, however, like how the Sydney Morning Herald sets out it's online sports section: NRL, Union, Cricket, ...
It's one thing how a sport is referred to in the "culture" and amongst people in their everyday lives. But that's not good enough for a newspaper who owes a duty of care to casual visitors out there who aren't aware that there are two "rugbys". If someone has told the NRL they benefit from this arrangement they've been poorly advised. Ultimately their fortunes depend on the sport of which they are only a part, Rugby League Football. They owe it to that sport to have that simple fact made clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users