Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

STOP CALLING US 'LEAGUE'!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I notice Stevo regularly uses the terms 'Rugby League Football' to refer to the sport also the ball. Is this a new thing or has he always done it. TBH I don't think RL will gain from dropping the word Rugby from its name. Its simple enough to say you are a rugby supporter and then clarify if someone asks league or proper rugby union ;).
Fides invicta triumphat

#42 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I quite often refer to 'rugby league football'.

Then again, I quite often call for the drop goal or something different, maybe the little chip over the top.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#43 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

The Aussie called it "footy" as far as I know. Only NZers call it league (a term which I find derogatory).

I listen to a fair bit of Australian radio, and it's frequently referred to as 'League' there, as well as 'footy'

Edited by Amber Avenger, 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#44 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I notice Stevo regularly uses the terms 'Rugby League Football' to refer to the sport also the ball. Is this a new thing or has he always done it. TBH I don't think RL will gain from dropping the word Rugby from its name. Its simple enough to say you are a rugby supporter and then clarify if someone asks league or proper rugby union ;).

Stevo has always done it, though no-one really knows why. He talks continually of "the rugby league football", when he could have just said "ball", or "rugby ball". Never heard him say, "the rugby league football ball boy", as yet, but there is time...
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,553 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

What difference does it make??? Really

it matters when there is confusion between rugby league and rugby union.

This can occur deliberately and malevolently: less I think these days, but that's purely my imnpression. This is especially annoying when rugby league's achievements and merits are either ignored or misreprestented as being a festure of rugby union.
Joinathan Palethorpe 'paley' sometime of this parish campaigned long and eloquently against this.

It can also occur through ignorance or laziness

Otherwise as you suggest it makes no difference.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 February 2013 - 06:34 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#46 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

On the name issue it might interest some that Canadian Football, (similar but different to American Football), used to be also know as Rugby. Indeed it was governed in the country by the Canadian Rugby Union. It was only in the the 1960's that it changed it's name.

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Woah, woah, woah. I got there first rah rah! :P

"Proper rugby" is my term. The full name is "proper rugby, none of that union ####".

(apologies to the nice union peeps on TRL, but they probably won't read this anyway!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,110 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

On the name issue it might interest some that Canadian Football, (similar but different to American Football), used to be also know as Rugby. Indeed it was governed in the country by the Canadian Rugby Union. It was only in the the 1960's that it changed it's name.

Now that, I didn't know.

#49 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

100 years ago it wasn't just called Rugby, it was Rugby ― but not Rugby Union. The Canadian Rugby Football that Earl Grey donated the Grey Cup for in 1909 was rugby football that had no rucks, no mauls, no fair catches, no throw-ins and even no scrums. Instead it had an early form of play-the-ball, a sin-bin rule, a 3-yard restraining area (later 5) for offside members of the kicking team on kicks in general play and the rouge that applied (and still does today) on kicks in general play that go in-goal. The parallels to RL are the main reason I came to like RL so much: to all intents and purposes it's an improved version of that uniquely Canadian game. Football fans in Canada don't know it, but the distinctive Canadian rules in today's so-called Canadian football were all created for rugby football and have little point in the US-style game that Canadians know today.

#50 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Now that is interesting

#51 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I was at a members' meeting at Hemel Stags last night and they showed some of the fixture cards that are being distributed locally.

On those, they've gone for referring to 'Pro Rugby'. Thinking being (I believe) that it's important people in the area appreciate Hemel Stags are a (semi) pro club and not just a pub team and also acknowledging that referring explicitly to rugby league could be a barrier to some people.

#52 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Seriously, who actually gives a damn?!

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#53 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Billy Slater tweeted yesterday to say goodbye and thanked everyone for the welcome they were given etc,and he also said "you people certainly love League"
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#54 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Seriously, who actually gives a damn?!

Lots of people. I still think its an insult to TGG.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#55 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Lots of people. I still think its an insult to TGG.

Why?

#56 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

In the antipodes Rugby League is indeed called League to distiguish it from Rugby (Union). Although it should be said that when Rugby League Week dropped the "Rugby" part of the title a backlash from fans forced the weekly to repent.

In the deep south of the UK most people refer to "Rugby" without being aware that there are two separate codes in existence. That said to call the game league in the UK would cause confusion with the Football League.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#57 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

In the antipodes Rugby League is indeed called League to distiguish it from Rugby (Union). Although it should be said that when Rugby League Week dropped the "Rugby" part of the title a backlash from fans forced the weekly to repent.

In the deep south of the UK most people refer to "Rugby" without being aware that there are two separate codes in existence. That said to call the game league in the UK would cause confusion with the Football League.

Why do they need to distinguish from RU if RL us so much bigger?

#58 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Perhaps you should read the thread.

#59 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Just to be clear, do you think they should have a footy section, a footy section and a footy section, then leave it to readers to guess which one is for the AFL, rugby union, and rugby league instead?

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,296 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Now that, I didn't know.

That means that you must have me on ignore.

And for that I am offended.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012