Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

STOP CALLING US 'LEAGUE'!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I was in Cas today on Willowbridge Lane, the sign outside Cas RU club says exactly that "Castleford RUFC"
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#62 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

That means that you must have me on ignore.

And for that I am offended.

Did someone say something?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#63 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,921 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I was in Cas today on Willowbridge Lane, the sign outside Cas RU club says exactly that "Castleford RUFC"

They were formed after 1895

St. Helens were formed before then and used to have st Helen's RFC painted on the main stand.

I'm a member of Yarnbury union club. They quite legitimately style themselves Yarnbury RFC.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#64 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

That means that you must have me on ignore.

And for that I am offended.

Not so. I probably just drifted off... ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#65 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Just getting a mention as a Sport should cut it.
The game needs a group cuddle not a whinge over what it is called in different areas, its not strong enough Internationally for name squabbling at this point.

#66 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I quite enjoy being in a situation where I am able to say that I am a Rugby fan, particularly when I think that the person I have told will assume that I mean Union. When I shock them by saying it is League, I often manage to get them to want to know why or what is the difference.
As long as they seem interested, I like to explain briefly the origins of folk football, the reason for the split in the handling code in 1895, the way that League has always had to battle for its right to exist and how the Rugby Union authorities were able to get away with what they did to us over the years, both in this country and internationally.
The chances are that whoever you are talking to is probably hearing this for the first time. Keeping our name as Rugby League, is one way of promoting our game in the 21st century while at the same time showing that we are proud of our history and know what we are talking about.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#67 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

I quite enjoy being in a situation where I am able to say that I am a Rugby fan, particularly when I think that the person I have told will assume that I mean Union. When I shock them by saying it is League, I often manage to get them to want to know why or what is the difference.
As long as they seem interested, I like to explain briefly the origins of folk football, the reason for the split in the handling code in 1895, the way that League has always had to battle for its right to exist and how the Rugby Union authorities were able to get away with what they did to us over the years, both in this country and internationally.
The chances are that whoever you are talking to is probably hearing this for the first time. Keeping our name as Rugby League, is one way of promoting our game in the 21st century while at the same time showing that we are proud of our history and know what we are talking about.

Good post
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#68 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

And how many times do you get to tell someone the whole story? How many are actually bothered about the split or the rugby apartheid that followed and will still be with you all the way?

rldfsignature.jpg

#69 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

And how many times do you get to tell someone the whole story? How many are actually bothered about the split or the rugby apartheid that followed and will still be with you all the way?

How many people will just presume you like Rugby Union. I work with children and they will often come up to me and think that they are making me happy by saying that they watched the rugby or are going to play for a rugby team but where I work it almost always means Union. They are too young to grasp the idea that there are two similar but different versions of rugby. The irony is that in trying to please me, Rugby Union is actually getting the benefit.

We should have changed names completely when we went from Northern Rugby Union to Rugby League. It would have saved a whole lot of bother and allowed us to stand independently as our own sport. We are now too attached to 'Rugby' to drop it but it will forever link us to the other more successful code which is a huge hindrance when trying to spread the game. We may get some benefits from the link but in the long run I think it has proved and will prove detrimental.

#70 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I would guess that unless someone is already a rugby fan of some description, most people wouldn't care about the split or the RU banning of RL players. When meeting people, you don't want to be that guy who is a bit of a bore when it comes to their interests. I save that for when I've known them a while :).
Fides invicta triumphat

#71 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I would guess that unless someone is already a rugby fan of some description, most people wouldn't care about the split or the RU banning of RL players. When meeting people, you don't want to be that guy who is a bit of a bore when it comes to their interests. I save that for when I've known them a while :).

On the contrary, in my experience when non rugby people hear about the RU ban, a lot of them find it pretty outrageous.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#72 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

How many people will just presume you like Rugby Union. I work with children and they will often come up to me and think that they are making me happy by saying that they watched the rugby or are going to play for a rugby team but where I work it almost always means Union. They are too young to grasp the idea that there are two similar but different versions of rugby. The irony is that in trying to please me, Rugby Union is actually getting the benefit.

We should have changed names completely when we went from Northern Rugby Union to Rugby League. It would have saved a whole lot of bother and allowed us to stand independently as our own sport. We are now too attached to 'Rugby' to drop it but it will forever link us to the other more successful code which is a huge hindrance when trying to spread the game. We may get some benefits from the link but in the long run I think it has proved and will prove detrimental.

I'm not sure it is a hindrance though especially now with the open gangway. Union has spent a lot of time and effort spreading the game, and in some ways this has helped RL. We are still rugby, just a different type.

I think RU will very gradually become more like RL. The question is, which direction will RL go in? Will it converge with RU or diverge (e.g. by dropping scrums, reducing the no. of players etc)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users