Eddie Hemmings

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Embarrassing performance from him last night. Asking for a red card for a push (which he thought was a shoulder charge) was just the highlight of it.

"Surely if it's outlawed, it's a red card isn't it?"
No Eddie. Throwing a forward pass is outlawed. It doesn't mean you get a red card every time you do it!

Taunting Phil Gould was just a sad attempt to get attention.

Please can we have shut of him and his sidekick.
Posted Image

#2 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Ah but did he " run his blood to water"

#3 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Another embarassing call from Hemmings on a forward pass,followed by 5 mins of drivel,only to find that yet again he is wrong - you really couldn't make it up.

And his attempts to build up the game - they haven't played for four months,they are not match fit,I don't think they've just come for a holiday etc.

How to ruin a great game of rugby - get Hemmings to do the commentary,together with his illiterate collegue.

#4 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Don't forget the constant reminders that 'Rest assured, Melbourne want to win this game'. Really?

#5 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Give it a rest boys. Far better than the smarmy Inverdale & Guscott show on the Beeb

#6 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Give it a rest boys. Far better than the smarmy Inverdale & Guscott show on the Beeb

I agree, let's have some positives about what a great game and not look for something to moan about. Ed and Stevie have served our game well, I'm up for criticism where appropriate, but let's keep it balanced

#7 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Well - I was at work for the first half and listened to the commentary on BBC Radio 5 Sports extra via a sneaky earphone :D - Dave Woods was superb as usual - it is a real pity SKY can't use him. I didn't think Eddie and Stevo spoiled the second half. I got home and enjoyed the game, but I do think SKY need less talking heads and let the game do the talking! The bellicose rants about incidents / rules are getting in the way of following the game.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Brian Carney is good.

#9 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Carney is great, wells and clarke are ok but way better than eddie and stevo....time to move aside and let the next generation have a pop

#10 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Eddie is an excellent game caller, but with three commentators in the box with him, I wish he'd stick to calling the game. When he tries to stir up controversy and opinion, he just sounds a bit silly.

If they just talk about what's happening on the pitch and stop trying to provide a side show, then they have an excellent team of commentators.
People called Romans they go the house

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Stevo adds colour and that's what he's paid to do; leave him alone.

Eddie is okay. Not brilliant but not terrible.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I just don't know why they need four in the commentary box,all trying to justify their presence - quality rather than quantity.It doesn't happen in any other sport.One good commentator,one good analyst.

#13 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

He wasn't that bad tbh.

#14 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Well - I was at work for the first half and listened to the commentary on BBC Radio 5 Sports extra via a sneaky earphone :D - Dave Woods was superb as usual - it is a real pity SKY can't use him. I didn't think Eddie and Stevo spoiled the second half. I got home and enjoyed the game, but I do think SKY need less talking heads and let the game do the talking! The bellicose rants about incidents / rules are getting in the way of following the game.

I like Dave Woods too but he isn't always "superb" - 2 or 3 years ago his commentary on the Challenge Cup Final (his first?) was so littered with mistakes in identifying the players that he apologised in his subsequent Rugby League World column for his having had a "shocker..." His attempts at pronouncing the names of French players during last year's European Championship were erratic - and might have improved had he done his homework properly.

I think Phil Gould is absolutely the best co-commentator out there - he just seems to "read" a game (and its players) better and is able to articulate his thoughts clearly... and yet it isn't hard to read Australian rugby league fans slagging him off as mercilessly as some over here do the likes of Stevo.

The game and occasion was fantastic and, despite legitimate misgivings about the commentary team, the quality on display was too good to be overshadowed by anything else.

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, on no way is this game being overshadowed by the bafoons commentating on it. It was a great game.
But when someone cannot use their common sense to realise that just because something has been outlawed doesn't make it a red card offence, then you have to question his judgement on other issues (which over the years we've come to think is often wrong!). There are better people already employed that could take over and make the game sound good as well as look good!
Posted Image

#16 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

For the fairest and most unbiased commentary we need look no further than the Late Great Ron Hoof

Note: late in this context is due to his day job as a bus driver

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'd have Eddie calling the game with the general knowledgable input from the game explaining what happened ect from Brian Carney. Hemmings turns into a moron when he puts his opinion on the game. Leave Stevo to do his thing on SSN ect summarise the game after the show and let everyone else do what they're doing.

Premier Sports is much better though.

#18 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Eddie is by far the best caller on British sport on TV, Also he's better than anything thats on Aussie TV as well.

#19 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think Steveo is probably worse. At least 3 times per game he will slate the ref for a ridiculous decision only to be proven wrong.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I just don't know why they need four in the commentary box,all trying to justify their presence - quality rather than quantity.It doesn't happen in any other sport.One good commentator,one good analyst.

You should listen to the NRL, christ, even they have shirt numbers.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users