Still, it isn't Ray French.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Eddie over twenty years commentating on rugby league and still doesnt know what he is talking about! same old cliches and still thinks football is the be all and end all...Stevo swears down he has seen a knock on, forward pass, head tackle etc etc then the replay shows he is totally wrong and he STILL claims he is right!! They are better than a smarmy unionite BUT we could do so much better..
Posted Image

#23 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think Phil Gould is absolutely the best co-commentator out there - he just seems to "read" a game (and its players) better and is able to articulate his thoughts clearly... and yet it isn't hard to read Australian rugby league fans slagging him off as mercilessly as some over here do the likes of Stevo.

The difference is, whereas many respect Phil Gould over here, none of the Aussies respect Eddie and Stevo. In fact, where you to follow the game on Twitter there were as many comments about Eddie and Stevo than about the game.

I don't subscribe to the idea that anybody would switch off because of them (mainly Stevo) but they have long past their sell by date. They are hughely cliche ridden and neither of them understand the game particularly well. Stevo's constant calls for utilising the dummy runner and man to man marking are pretty embarrassing. Take last night, Stevo was making out like Melbourne had been employing a compressed defence but had switched to man to man marking meaning that they would find it hard to get through. The logic error was obvious, why would anybody ever compress the defence if all you had to do was mark man to man?

They do minor damage but I think the game is missing a real analyst who can really describe to the uninformed what is going on in the modern game. Eddie and Stevo really over-simplify it and do the game a disservice. I used to really enjoy Tony Rea's analysis of games and tbh Jon Wells a decent job at half time but there needs to be somebody during games that can explain.

#24 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Eddie is a joke and what is the point of having a go at Phil Gould? Gould knows the game has coached at the Highest level and also is highly respected by players and coaches. Eddie is a clueless muppet who tries to offer his opinion but often fails as he for me doesnt understand or read the game at all and comes across badly. Then tries to add humour which fails. Stevo is not my thing and the two of them dont me enjoy the game as much. Carney is excellent and tells it how it is and offers a players input ´. Phil Clarke is similar as is John Wells. I do feel Sky make Clarke in particular look stupid by trying to making him to be something like a 3rd act for Stevo and Eddie and giving him stupid gimmicks. I would much prefer listening to people who have played or coached the game at a very high level and add an understanding or something that is easily missed by the average fan. If I wanted to listen to comedy or somebody being controvertial I would look at a Sit Com or Discussion show. I want to watch Rugby League and enjoy it but also see why a team is doing such and such and why a try was cored or saved.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

We need a bit of balance though, it can't be all dour faced expert analysis. There is room for a bit of humour.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

We need a bit of balance though, it can't be all dour faced expert analysis. There is room for a bit of humour.

Which part does Eddie offer?!
Posted Image

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Which part does Eddie offer?!

Er pass. Although I don't think he's quite as bad as painted if I'm honest. My point is that the commentary should not be always dead serious with people afraid to crack a joke.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#28 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Eddie is by far the best caller on British sport on TV, Also he's better than anything thats on Aussie TV as well.

You been drinking....he's not a patch on Ray Warren.

#29 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

You been drinking....he's not a patch on Ray Warren.

Rabs is senile and needs to retire. He's well past his best.

#30 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Er pass. Although I don't think he's quite as bad as painted if I'm honest. My point is that the commentary should not be always dead serious with people afraid to crack a joke.

I agree. I enjoy some of the things Barrie Mac adds in this department. But Eddie just isn't funny at all. He reminds me of Buzz Killington on Family Guy. "I've quite a mastery of the humourous yarn."
Posted Image

#31 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

I like Eddie. If he'd been lost to football like Clive Tyldesley, Rob McCaffrey and Jon Champion we'd have been moaning.

What do people want FFS

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

We want someone new. Isn't that obvious?
There's nothing wrong with freshening things up every now and then.
Posted Image

#33 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

We want someone new. Isn't that obvious?
There's nothing wrong with freshening things up every now and then.

What I'd like to see is Eddie as a studio presenter only something he's good at. I'd get Dave Woods in as the main commentator but I actually think Brian Carney could do the job if they can't get him. I would then have Jon Wells as main summariser along side with Clark chipping in with comments as wells does now. Stevo should have either a minor part or no part at all he could still do the weekly magazine shows.

#34 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I think that the problem with Phil Gould is his constant sniping at the game here, when he's shown no inclination to come here as a coach and show us what we're doing wrong.

#35 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Pension them both off.. I have a great deal of respect for Stevo for what he has done in the game and do think ver the years he's embraced the pantomime villain aspect of his role too much. Eddie is just very bad and annoying..

Brian Carney would be a better choice as host of any RL presentations. Get rid of Eddie and Stevo, keep the rest and bring in a new commentator who simply commentates and leaves the analysis to the others

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Anyone remember the snipe that Eddie had at Carney last season when he mixed up his words? Something along the lines of "you're going to have to do better than that if you want a lead job" or something.

It's like he knows his time is coming to an end but doesn't want to let go.
Posted Image

#37 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,673 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hemmings has always wound me up.

Last night I stuck on some tunes and watched the game with the sound off. Enjoyed it much more tbh without the usual tangents and banging on about the same decision for five minutes before it being proven that the official got it right.

Edited by Just Browny, 24 February 2013 - 11:16 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#38 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Bring back Darryl Eastlake

#39 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Eddie is a joke and what is the point of having a go at Phil Gould? Gould knows the game has coached at the Highest level and also is highly respected by players and coaches. Eddie is a clueless muppet who tries to offer his opinion but often fails as he for me doesnt understand or read the game at all and comes across badly. Then tries to add humour which fails. Stevo is not my thing and the two of them dont me enjoy the game as much. Carney is excellent and tells it how it is and offers a players input ´. Phil Clarke is similar as is John Wells. I do feel Sky make Clarke in particular look stupid by trying to making him to be something like a 3rd act for Stevo and Eddie and giving him stupid gimmicks. I would much prefer listening to people who have played or coached the game at a very high level and add an understanding or something that is easily missed by the average fan. If I wanted to listen to comedy or somebody being controvertial I would look at a Sit Com or Discussion show. I want to watch Rugby League and enjoy it but also see why a team is doing such and such and why a try was cored or saved.

Stevo played and coached at the highest level. Make of that what you will.

#40 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I see Eddie has managed to get his best buddy from 'West Cheshire' Graham Beacroft a gig as touchline reporter despite him knowing absolutely nowt about RL. He's a football reporter, always has been. Plus he has a nasal whine voice that grates on me.

As for Eddie & Stevo, the game has moved on and they haven't. They're just tiresome these days.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users