Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Demands made by Giants?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm not sure how much of this is true but I was told that Anderson (Giants) called John Kear asking him to play one of his young props because he needs game time? I am told JK told Anderson that he is happy with his own players (good decision).

Anyone know if this is true? Giants leaning on us already.

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure how much of this is true but I was told that Anderson (Giants) called John Kear asking him to play one of his young props because he needs game time? I am told JK told Anderson that he is happy with his own players (good decision).

I have no idea what the situation is, but isn't that how the partnerships would work anyway? If it's true, JK has shown that we will do it on our terms. If he carries on doing that, Huddersfield will question whether it is relevant and maybe withdraw. The thing is, if we are to carry on using their medical facilities, they will want something from us. Quite the conundrum!

#3 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

i did hear same tale too, good on kevin and john if this is the case as why should baz or kegan sit out so someone else can get gametime fitness, and take away a batley players winning pay too?? dr sucks.

#4 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think there is an element of truth to this, although I suspect it's more of an offer/suggestion from the Giants rather than a 'demand', at this juncture anyway. Although I guess from their point of view they are seeing other teams in this division using the DR mechanism to the max so to speak and perhaps wondering why they aren't seeing the same benefit as other SL teams in terms of their fringe players getting game time.

So maybe it will come to a stage where they become more insistent, who knows. If that is the case and our team and players are performing well (with no major injury problems) then I hope we stand firm, whether they threaten to withdraw or not.

The medical facilities aspect is fantastic for our players, however the identity of a proud and very traditional rugby league club is far more important.

#5 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Quoting Kevin, from his last programmers notes,
Lastly on the playing side I will have comment to make on the dual registered system in the next programme, but I can assure you that Batley will not lose sight of our identity and will never be some kind of super league reserve side.

So buy your programe on
thursday night to find out more

Edited by Batley Bob, 23 February 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#6 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I would hope that JK continues to take the line that he will only use DR players when they actually improve our team or fill a gap caused by injury.
I saw on the Huddersfield forum that there were questions as to why we hadn't played their young wingers Blackmore and Walker. I think the answer to that is clear- these may be youngsters with plenty of potential- but at the moment they certainly wouldn't get into our team ahead of Campbell Potts or Johnson. We are not in the business of giving their fringe players game time to get match fit, We have matches of our own to win and have to pick the best team available. I think the main reason why we have not used any Giants players so far is quite simple- the Giants have a relatively small squad of seasoned first team quality players, Once they have named their 19 for the week the remaining players are all untried juniors or injured firstteamers. I think it might be different if Anderson were offering Murphy,Patrick or Fairbank but I don't imagine these are the names offered to JK.

#7 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Given the quality we have in our squad, we shouldn't need to use any Giants players. With the likes of Faal, Rowe, Greenwood and Moore missing from the Barrow line-up - and the possibiity that Esders will shortly be returning to the set-up, we don't need their help. I would imagine that if we don't use any of their players by the end of the season then the 'link-up' will be reviewed and probably ended. It's nice to have SL medical facilities at our disposal, but in reality they're not something that we desperately need.

#8 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

I have spoken to John several times this season and he has always indicated that there is no pressure from Huddersfield to play their players. That seems to have been borne out by the sides we have put out so far this season. It will only really benefit us if injuries start biting later this season. In relation to your story, I can imagine that actually being a true response from JK.

#9 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Good to hear that we dont follow the york or hunslet route . As i feel this is only a short term fix look at lineman was playing for hull today leaving york with a problem trying to replace him. Its justs seems to me that as soon as they get some confidence they go straight back to their parent clubs. This dosnt help york or hunslet just used to get players fit or confidence back which imo is a miss use of the dualreg

#10 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Good to hear that we dont follow the york or hunslet route . As i feel this is only a short term fix look at lineman was playing for hull today leaving york with a problem trying to replace him. Its justs seems to me that as soon as they get some confidence they go straight back to their parent clubs. This dosnt help york or hunslet just used to get players fit or confidence back which imo is a miss use of the dualreg

With respect, isn't that exactly what happened with Alex Walmsley? Granted you won't miss him like York would miss Lineham!
Posted Image

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Ah - this is where DR starts falling apart. Shuddersfield offer Batley facilities and then when they want a favour, Batley say no. What sort of partnership is that ?

Of course, the answer is for Shuddersfield to play the kid in their Reserve grade. :angry:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Sorry gav dont see it as the same as at the start of the season alex and flemming were to be classed as one dual reg player. We at batley all knew that once alex got the chance to show what he could do we wouldnt be seeing much of him. As for york and hunslet have up to 5 players playing for them at one time. As we only have the one we will miss him but not to the extent that other clubs will when they get recalled .

#13 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Ah - this is where DR starts falling apart. Shuddersfield offer Batley facilities and then when they want a favour, Batley say no. What sort of partnership is that ?

Of course, the answer is for Shuddersfield to play the kid in their Reserve grade. :angry:

you mean do as Huddersfield say or no deal.

#14 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

When Huddersfield start picking the Batley team thats when we become a reserve team

#15 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

This is interesting if you havent read it all ready

http://www.skysports...0.html#comments

#16 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

When Huddersfield start picking the Batley team thats when we become a reserve team

i think your also a reserve team when you consistantly use 4 or 5 players from the same club every week as well.
Thank goodness Batley havent gone down that road

#17 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

i think your also a reserve team when you consistantly use 4 or 5 players from the same club every week as well.

Agreed .I dont like duel reg .It is all to do with the super league clubs using the championship to give squad players quality game time and to save money on running developement teams. Thank goodness the Australian doller is so strong and awash with sponsership money. We dont have to put up with the influx in our game of a endless stream of very ordinery journeymen and retirement fund builders I know that is a different issue but it is on the theme of young and talented British players now breakin through to super league . I feel like many others that the current moves have not been thaught through. I totally agree with messrs. Powell, and Aston on this one. There was nothing wrong with short or long term loan deals when the club knew they had the player for a set number of games maybe with a veiw to a permanent deal. The championship was working well now results may depend on how many super league players are turning out that week for your opponents.

#18 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Be interesting to see which 'Dual Registered' players turn out for Swinton, York and Hunslet if the three clubs are in a relegation fight at the end of the season.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I mean there has to be summat in it for Huddersfield.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Just give it time.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users