TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

the clock on sky games

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

anyone else think that the clock on the sky games is a negative thing, i think it should be turned off with say 5 to go so the game is played without the clock dictating which plays are made.
looking at the clock and then running or kicking the ball into touch is not a very good sight, the players can still ask the ref how long is left but they wouldn't know to the second and so would have to keep playing.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#2 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

anyone else think that the clock on the sky games is a negative thing, i think it should be turned off with say 5 to go so the game is played without the clock dictating which plays are made.
looking at the clock and then running or kicking the ball into touch is not a very good sight, the players can still ask the ref how long is left but they wouldn't know to the second and so would have to keep playing.

IMO the clock is another thing eroding the uncertainty nature of RL. Not knowing how much time is left adds to the tension.

Get rid of it ASAP

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

IMO the clock is another thing eroding the uncertainty nature of RL. Not knowing how much time is left adds to the tension.

Get rid of it ASAP

Flame-throwers on the posts, water balloon in the ball. Take away the ref's whistle. Remove laces from boots. Swap shirts at half time.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

It's taken long enough for clubs to have a clock installed. It's not a distraction, it's a functional tool.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Clock are now at every match, no problem. The problem was when only sky games had the clock

#6 Egg Chasing

Egg Chasing
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Clock are now at every match, no problem. The problem was when only sky games had the clock

Agreed
Rugby League Blog - www.eggchasing.wordpress.com

Follow Me On Twitter - @egg_chasing

#7 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Get rid of it ASAP

I'm starting to think you should be used in an advisory role at the RFL.

Whatever your opinion is, do the opposite.

#8 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'm starting to think you should be used in an advisory role at the RFL.

Whatever your opinion is, do the opposite.

Do you prefer knowing how much time is left?

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Do you prefer knowing how much time is left?

I do.
Posted Image

#10 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I do.

May I ask why?

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

At Football matches they announce how much time is left to play (injury time).
As you believe we should follow virtually everything they do, where's the problem?

#12 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just to be clear, without a clock Wide to West would never have happened. Nor last year's Millard try against Saints. For both the ball was urgently played with just two seconds left, had they not had a crowd counting down they would not have known to make that extra effort to play-the-ball in before the hooter sounded.

If you want uncertainty, then presumably the referee should not reveal the tackle count either.

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just to be clear, without a clock Wide to West would never have happened. Nor last year's Millard try against Saints. For both the ball was urgently played with just two seconds left, had they not had a crowd counting down they would not have known to make that extra effort to play-the-ball in before the hooter sounded.

If you want uncertainty, then presumably the referee should not reveal the tackle count either.

Those endings are extremely rare. Unfortunately knowing when the game will end removes the suspense in most games even if less than one score is involved

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Those endings are extremely rare. Unfortunately knowing when the game will end removes the suspense in most games even if less than one score is involved

Should all of the people attending have their watches removed when they enter the stadium just in case they time the game?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#15 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Should all of the people attending have their watches removed when they enter the stadium just in case they time the game?

No, the same as they should not remove any other part of their clothing

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

Posted Image

:huh: ;)

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#17 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Posted Image

:huh: ;)

Is he indicating 5 tackles gone or 6 ;)

Edited by Forever Trinity, 24 February 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Could we throw a die after every tackle to see what tackle it is ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

If there wasn't a clock at games we would never had the Wigan Walk.

#20 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

If there wasn't a clock at games we would never had the Wigan Walk.

The Wigan walk pre-dates the clock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users