the clock on sky games

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

the players can still ask the ref how long is left but they wouldn't know to the second and so would have to keep playing.

How would the ref know? He doesn't keep the time in Rugby League, we have an "official timekeeper", that's why we finish a game with a hooter rather than on the refs whistle

Edited by Bleep1673, 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#22 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Lobby certainly wouldn't be saying this if Leigh had been in Super League (and competitive) during the long period in which Wigan had a clock of sorts in the stadium, which very often ran down to zero with Wigan often scoring a long time afterwards.

(I know it wasn't the official clock, but it wasn't half annoying).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#23 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Lobby certainly wouldn't be saying this if Leigh had been in Super League (and competitive) during the long period in which Wigan had a clock of sorts in the stadium, which very often ran down to zero with Wigan often scoring a long time afterwards.

To be fair most clubs had a clock of sorts and I'm struggling to think of any who didn't. As you point out though, i can't recall any who actually stopped the clock for delays, so many tries were scored with the clocks on zero. This was so prevalent in the 'old days' I'm amazed Lobby isn't asking for it to be made compulsory today.

Edited by Bulliac, 24 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#24 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Err yes I would

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

To be fair most clubs had a clock of sorts and I'm struggling to think of any who didn't.

Bradford didn't until about 3 seasons ago when all SL teams had those clocks installed. Although I do admit the electronic scoreboard on the Coral stand did try, but it was a bit rubbish.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Those endings are extremely rare. Unfortunately knowing when the game will end removes the suspense in most games even if less than one score is involved

I don't think it does remove the suspense. In a close game, knowing your team have only 10 seconds to score to take the lead and this next play is now all or nothing
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

How would the ref know? He doesn't keep the time in Rugby League, we have an "official timekeeper", that's why we finish a game with a hooter rather than on the refs whistle

In $uperleague games he could ask the "official timekeeper", with whom he is in radio communication.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#28 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Surely we'd have to get rid of published kick off time too, as people will be able to ascertain that approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes after kick off the game is likely to end, thus meaning the urgency in play will change.

As an aside. I thought in the Wide to West the hooter has already gone and the ball was being chucked about in full knowledge the next tackle would have halted play.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS, 25 February 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#29 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

To be fair most clubs had a clock of sorts and I'm struggling to think of any who didn't. As you point out though, i can't recall any who actually stopped the clock for delays, so many tries were scored with the clocks on zero. This was so prevalent in the 'old days' I'm amazed Lobby isn't asking for it to be made compulsory today.

Depends how far you go back. There did used to be a clock, a forty minute timer - guess you could have called it a glorified wind up egg-timer, but I agree it was quite a significant gap after its demise. That was the sort of thing most clubs had back in the day.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#30 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Surely we'd have to get rid of published kick off time too, as people will be able to ascertain that approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes after kick off the game is likely to end, thus meaning the urgency in play will change.

For me the suspense is ruined by knowing the fixtures in advance.

If the players were blindfolded, driven around in a coach for a bit with no idea who they were playing or where, it would make RL a lot more exciting for me.

In fact, the suspense is ruined by knowing who's in Super League (or indeed any other league). Imagine how much excitement that would create, knowing who'd got the licenses for the first time when the players run onto the field.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#31 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Im in favour of only having the clock removed if they playthe Countdown theme played from 79:30

Cummins Out.

#32 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Im in favour of only having the clock removed if they playthe Countdown theme played from 79:30

Now we're getting somewhere.

A 9-letter conundrum could appear on the big screen, and if the captain of the trailing side cracks it before the clock winds down they can add an additional 10-minutes to the game clock. These 10 minutes could be added indefinitely, making a thinking man's half-back a must in every side. Conversely, if the leading side can crack the conundrum first, they can stop the 10 minutes being added.

Edited by Just Browny, 25 February 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#33 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

In fact, the suspense is ruined by knowing who's in Super League (or indeed any other league). Imagine how much excitement that would create, knowing who'd got the licenses for the first time when the players run onto the field.

We'd be trending all over Twitter.

'#Huddersfield are in, and yes, #Widnes are in too'.

'Has anyone seen #Wigan ?!' 'Are #Wigan out?'

'Mais non, #Wigan est ici a Perpignan!'

#34 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Now we're getting somewhere.

A 9-letter conundrum could appear on the big screen, and if the captain of the trailing side cracks it before the clock winds down they can add an additional 10-minutes to the game clock. These 10 minutes could be added indefinitely, making a thinking man's half-back a must in every side. Conversely, if the leading side can crack the conundrum first, they can stop the 10 minutes being added.

:D

Its the best sports fusion since Chess Boxing.

Cummins Out.

#35 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I remember a game on the BBC, Salford V Warrington where the good old BBC forgot to stop the clock, Alan Hunte scored the winning try on 87 minutes (or something like that)

#36 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I remember a game on the BBC, Salford V Warrington where the good old BBC forgot to stop the clock, Alan Hunte scored the winning try on 87 minutes (or something like that)

:blink:

They didn't stop the clock in those days.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#37 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I was at that one too, I almost fell down the terracing when Hunte went in. Alan obviously felt so guilty at breaking Salford hearts that he went on to become something close to a Salford favourite.

#38 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

:blink:

They didn't stop the clock in those days.

Sky did, and it wasn't that long ago was it??

Thinking about is I bet that was about 2000 (I seem to have drifted into the getting old thread)

#39 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Sky did, and it wasn't that long ago was it??

Thinking about is I bet that was about 2000 (I seem to have drifted into the getting old thread)

RW, it was definitely in the era before the BBC provided a clock on the big screen or were connected to the official timer. Your memory is certainly correct in that it was scored in the 7th or 8th minute of injury time.

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

For me the suspense is ruined by knowing the fixtures in advance.

If the players were blindfolded, driven around in a coach for a bit with no idea who they were playing or where, it would make RL a lot more exciting for me.

For me the suspense is ruined by the players running onto the field knowing what team they play for. Make them draw lots each week to determine what team they play for I say.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users