George burgess

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

By all accounts George burgess had a good game in souths lastest trial match and is being talked about securing a place in souths 17 for round 1 in the NRL. He could be a bolter for a bench spot for England in the world cup, acting as an impact player, alongside his brothers Sam and Luke not to mention the likes of James graham, Gareth hock, Gareth Ellis, James Roby, lee mossop and Kevin sinfield the England pack is as strong as I can ever remember in my 20+ years of watching rugby league.

#2 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I saw the trial game, and George Burgess was impressive. There's little evidence yet of brother Sam's all-round abilities, but George more than matched him in terms of yardage gained.

As for the list of names above, I'm not sure that the likes of Lee Mossop & Luke Burgess have indicated that they're in any way at the level of Morley (in his prime), Paul Sculthorpe or even, going on his World Club Challenge performance, Jamie Peacock. Gareth Hock certainly has the talent...

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

How's Tom doing since his move?
Posted Image

#4 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

in recent years the best pack I can remember contained Farrell, Sculthorpe, Peacock, Morley, Newton, I'm not sure weve got the same quality in the pack right now although its still impressive

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

8. James graham
9. James Roby
10. Sam burgess
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Ben Westwood
13. Kevin sinfield

With the likes of George burgess, Luke burgess, chris hill, Sean o'loughlin, lee mossop, errol Crabtree, Gareth hock, Stevie ward challenging for a spot on the bench, great depth IMO.

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

in recent years the best pack I can remember contained Farrell, Sculthorpe, Peacock, Morley, Newton, I'm not sure weve got the same quality in the pack right now although its still impressive

Great pack, also the pack of the mal reilly era like Hanley, platt, Jackson, betts, Clarke was also pretty special.

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

8. james graham
9. james roby
10. chris hill
11.gareth ellis
12. gareth hock or westwood
13. sam burgess

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Still considering whether we can afford to have Westwood and Hock in the same side, both sensational players but could both easily go off on one and cost us silly penalties or be down to 12 men.

I'd probably go:

Chris Hill
James Roby
James Graham
Ben Westwood
Gareth Ellis
Sam Burgess

Rob Burrow
Eorl Crabtree
Gareth Hock
Luke Burgess

I think the World Cup has come too soon for Stevie Ward. Another season under his belt and I think he would be a shoe in for the 13 jersey. Crabtree IMO has to player along with Burrow as the Aussies seem to have problems playing against Crabtree and players like Burrow. I wouldnt have Hock and Westwood on the same field at the same time. Chris Hill has to play he's been the best prop in SL towards the end of last season and now this one.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 24 February 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#9 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Not sure any of the Burgess boys are going to be anything like Sam in terms of skill etc. but that doesn't mean they could all turn out to be very good props. Think George and Tom are very much big units who drive the ball in hard, make the yards and make their tackles.. nothing fancy.

My starting pack for the RLWC, barring any injury or loss of form would be.

James Graham
James Roby
Sam Burgess
Gareth Hock
Gareth Ellis
Sean O'Loughlin

subs from
Ben Westwood
Chris Hill
Earl Crabtree
Luke Burgess

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

8. james graham
9. james roby
10. chris hill
11.gareth ellis
12. gareth hock or westwood
13. sam burgess

I would play Sam burgess at 13 every day of the week were it not for the fact of Kevin sinfields kicking and the fact that will Gareth widdop be picked at 6 or Danny brough at 7.

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

sinfield will play 6 for england every day of the week while McNamara is in charge

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#12 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

8. James graham
9. James Roby
10. Sam burgess
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Ben Westwood
13. Kevin sinfield

With the likes of George burgess, Luke burgess, chris hill, Sean o'loughlin, lee mossop, errol Crabtree, Gareth hock, Stevie ward challenging for a spot on the bench, great depth IMO.

Stevie ward???? Are you been serious, he is no were near a England spot I struggle to see what he does so well ie. what's his position million miles away widdop Myler ratchford hardaker houghton hodgson all ahead of him

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

sinfield will play 6 for england every day of the week while McNamara is in charge

Well we won't win anything, NZ have Kieron foran or benji Marshall and the Aussies have Jonathan thurston playing at 6, genuine stand offs who ply their trade week in week out in the NRL at 6.

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Stevie ward???? Are you been serious, he is no were near a England spot I struggle to see what he does so well ie. what's his position million miles away widdop Myler ratchford hardaker houghton hodgson all ahead of him

The world cup is probably to early for stevie ward but he's a loose forward for Leeds and England for the future.

#15 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I tend to disagree, England well covered in that area for a long time, the lad ward will need to put some size on to be a good international loose forward

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I tend to disagree, England well covered in that area for a long time, the lad ward will need to put some size on to be a good international loose forward

Depends on what type of loose forward you want.A runner or a distributor.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Fielden
Newton (Cunningham if he'd been fit)
Morley
Peacock
Farrell
Scunthorpe

Best pack I saw at GB.
When you had the likes of McDermott, Anderson and O'Connor in their prime as well, that was a pretty fearsome pack. Shame we had poor halves and three-quarter line in the early 2000s. Karl Pratt, Richard Horne and Stuart Reardon on the wing for GB says it all!
Posted Image

#18 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

We always do quite well in the forwards... its the backs where we struggle.

Cummins Out.

#19 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Has anyone had a look at Simon Grix in the games we've been on Sky this year? I'd go as far as saying he's been Warrington's best forward so far.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#20 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

6 and 7 are up for grabs and need sorting if we are to be the convicts. Our options in the pack are truely fan though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users