Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George burgess

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Has anyone had a look at Simon Grix in the games we've been on Sky this year? I'd go as far as saying he's been Warrington's best forward so far.

I tend to watch Grix a lot because I knock about with his dad and like you say he has been playing very well.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

We always do quite well in the forwards... its the backs where we struggle.

you took the words right out of my mouth! exactly.

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well we won't win anything, NZ have Kieron foran or benji Marshall and the Aussies have Jonathan thurston playing at 6, genuine stand offs who ply their trade week in week out in the NRL at 6.

foran is bobbins and is'nt even gonna get a game for nz now they have shaun johnson...and the jury is still out on johnson & benji actually work cos its highly likely they'll cancel each other out..

benji,when he tries to do everything himself runs around like a headless chicken....

benji & foran together @ 6&7 have only ever beaten wales!...

i'll give you thurston though....but i think hes a better 7

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

We always do quite well in the forwards... its the backs where we struggle.

our backs are a light years better than they where in the latter half of the 2000's

tomkins & hall are world class...jack reed can't do anything wrong in brisbane,watkins & charnley are on the way to being very,very good
tom briscoe getting a gig at cronulla...

people whinge about sinfield at 6 but theres probably only cam smith,greg inglis & billy slater thats out performed him in internationals over the past 3-4 years....

OLDHAM RLFC

#25 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

As for the list of names above, I'm not sure that the likes of Lee Mossop & Luke Burgess have indicated that they're in any way at the level of Morley (in his prime), Paul Sculthorpe or even, going on his World Club Challenge performance, Jamie Peacock. Gareth Hock certainly has the talent...

You cant say that about Lee Mossop,Exiled Wiganer has him mentioned in about 50% of his posts since he broke into the Wigan side so much so that i'm pretty certain he is, delete where appropiate; parent,relative,agent,girlfriend,boyfriend or Lee himself.One thing for is sure he aint international standard.
Forwards aint our main problem though getting the HB'S and 3/4 right(by mean right) playing them in their natural positions is key,so playing Sinfield at 6 is a no starter please

#26 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Our forwards are equal to the Aussies, they are no better and no worse IMO.

In the backs we arnt far off although lack the sheer depth the Aussies have. Hall Briscoe and Charlney are international quality. Hall is IMO the best winger in the world. Centres Reed is holding his own in the NRL. Then Watkins has the speed size and strength of a world class centre, he just needs to work on his defence alot and he'll be as good as any Aussie centre apart from Inglis. Tomkins isn't as good as Slater but he isn't a shabby comparision.

We just get mullered in the 6 7 and 9 department. They just build up pressure so much better than we do. The Kiwis have too play Foran IMO Benji and Johnson just won't work there isn't any leadership there. If we had Chase and Tomkins in the halves we would be a massive attacking threat but 9/10 we wouldn't get out of our half because Smith Cronk and Thurston would keep making the full back return the ball from his own try line.

#27 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Has anyone had a look at Simon Grix in the games we've been on Sky this year? I'd go as far as saying he's been Warrington's best forward so far.

Plays for Ireland doesn't he?

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

his brother does...don't recall simon playing for ireland though??

OLDHAM RLFC

#29 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Jack Reed had an average 2012 and had a shocker first up on the weekend, he will need a big year to make the England squad.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#30 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Jack Reed had an average 2012 and had a shocker first up on the weekend, he will need a big year to make the England squad.

Reed is a mediocre player in the least inspiring Broncos side that I can remember.

If Hardaker is to be kept out of the England full-back position by Tomkins, then I'd rather see him - as just one example - in the side ahead of Reed.

#31 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

He plays in the NRL.. automatic selection under McNamara.

Cummins Out.

#32 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Charnleys defence isn't good enough against the Aussies/Kiwis. Hardacre has to play so I would go Tomkins - FB, Hardacre, Hall - Wings, Watkins, and one from Evans/Atkins/Yeaman/Goulding/Reed - Centres, Widdop, Brough - Halves, Peacock, Graham - front row, McIllorum - Hooker, Burgess, OLoughlin, Hock - back row, Hill, Westwood, Ellis, Roby - bench.
May replace Ellis with another prop from Burgess L, Crabtree, Carvell based on form.

#33 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Charnleys defence isn't good enough against the Aussies/Kiwis. Hardacre has to play so I would go Tomkins - FB, Hardacre, Hall - Wings, Watkins, and one from Evans/Atkins/Yeaman/Goulding/Reed - Centres, Widdop, Brough - Halves, Peacock, Graham - front row, McIllorum - Hooker, Burgess, OLoughlin, Hock - back row, Hill, Westwood, Ellis, Roby - bench.
May replace Ellis with another prop from Burgess L, Crabtree, Carvell based on form.

ppssstttt.....none of that makes any sense

OLDHAM RLFC

#34 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think John Bateman will force his way into the team this year.
People called Romans they go the house

#35 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Tis not the pack I'm ever worried about, the backs, with the exception of Tomkins and Ryan Hall is where we lack.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#36 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Depends on what type of loose forward you want.A runner or a distributor.

Modern day LF is like a 3rd prop not many distributors now in that position like before it's changed now your FB has that role

#37 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yep Ellis is relying on his past performances, hasn't played well since 2011. He was either injured or badly out of form for the whole of 2012 and hasn't managed a game yet for Hull

#38 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Modern day LF is like a 3rd prop not many distributors now in that position like before it's changed now your FB has that role

Prefer a tough tackling second row at loose forward myself... with full back doing the old loose forwards distribution.

Cummins Out.

#39 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I agree

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

gaz hock shoulg be nailed on to start, with westwood on the bench, we also have danny tickle to add to the list..........now all we need are decent centres and half backs............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users